Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,148 members, 7,780,090 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:31 AM

Mamaput, Tokunbo, K-leg And 24other "Nigerian English Added To Oxford Dictionary - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Mamaput, Tokunbo, K-leg And 24other "Nigerian English Added To Oxford Dictionary (564 Views)

My Introversion, My Oxford Dictionary. / Developing Nigerian English, A Right Thing To Do? / Words Frequently Used In Nigeria Not Found In The Dictionary! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mamaput, Tokunbo, K-leg And 24other "Nigerian English Added To Oxford Dictionary by Naijafrolic(m): 7:53am On Jan 22, 2020
The Oxford English Dictionary has been updated to include some Nigerian words and expressions.

In the Oxford English Dictionary's January update, 29 Nigerian words were added and it was announced in a blog post on the
dictionary’s website.

In the post, the Oxford English Dictionary explained that some of the words were borrowed while others are coinages

"The majority of these new additions are either borrowings from Nigerian languages, or unique Nigerian coinages that have only begun to be used in English in the second half of the twentieth century, mostly in the 1970s and 1980s," the post added.

Below is a list of the Nigerian words added to the updated Oxford English Dictionary:

Agric, adj. & n.
Barbing salon, n.
Buka, n.
Bukateria, n.
Chop, v./6
Chop-chop, n./2
Danfo, n.
To eat money, in eat, v.
Ember months, n.
Flag-off, n.
To flag off in flag, v.
Gist, n./3
Gist, v./2
Guber, adj.
Kannywood, n.
K-leg, n.
Mama put, n.
Next tomorrow, n. & adv.
Non-indigene, adj. & n.
Okada, n.
To put to bed, in put, v.
Qualitative, adj.
To rub minds (together) in rub, v./1
Sef, adv.
Send-forth, n.
Severally, adv.
Tokunbo, adj.
Zone, v.
Zoning, n. https://naijafrolic..com/2020/01/mama-put-danfo-okada-tokunbo-k-leg-and.html?m=1

Re: Mamaput, Tokunbo, K-leg And 24other "Nigerian English Added To Oxford Dictionary by money121(m): 7:57am On Jan 22, 2020
Nice one
Re: Mamaput, Tokunbo, K-leg And 24other "Nigerian English Added To Oxford Dictionary by Born2Breed(f): 12:31pm On Jan 22, 2020
Some people say pidgin na razz. but we global now.

grin

Dem don dey kolobi our words small small enter dictionary.

Abeg make I dey chop my pidgin dey go like mama ebo buka pepper rice. Dia fada!!!

#TeamPidgin4lyf.
Re: Mamaput, Tokunbo, K-leg And 24other "Nigerian English Added To Oxford Dictionary by kingphilip(m): 7:51pm On Jan 22, 2020
Born2Breed:
Some people say pidgin na razz.

grin

Dem don dey kolobi our words small small enter dictionary.

Abeg make I dey chop my pidgin dey go like mama ebo buka pepper rice.

#TeamPidgin4lyf.
small small we go full Oxford dictionary sha

1 Like

Re: Mamaput, Tokunbo, K-leg And 24other "Nigerian English Added To Oxford Dictionary by Born2Breed(f): 8:09pm On Jan 22, 2020
kingphilip:
small small we go full Oxford dictionary sha

Abeg collect...u too much.

1 Like

Re: Mamaput, Tokunbo, K-leg And 24other "Nigerian English Added To Oxford Dictionary by Naijafrolic(m): 10:13pm On Jan 22, 2020
Born2Breed:

Abeg collect...u too much.

I have more interesting stories on the blog www.naijafrolic..com

(1) (Reply)

The Abomination - Episode 8 / Sister Folake.. / Get Latest Ebook - John Bolton The Room Where It Happened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.