Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:38 PM

Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React (38954 Views)

Reps Uncover 45m Barrels Sold At N45m At Lagos Ports Complex In 2022 / Lagos State Government Close Mile 2 To Tincan Island Ports For 2days For Repairs / Nigeria Recovers 693 Power Equipment Containers Abandoned At Ports For 15 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by joyandfaith: 10:54am On Jan 22, 2020
ANNOUNCEMENT by Maerskline to discontinue calls at the Lagos Ports has elicited mixed reactions from stakeholders, even as the global shipping giant has come under the hammer for jumping ship at a time of distress.

Instructively, some stakeholders have appealed to the Federal Government to take a cue from Maerskline position and urgently address all operational deficits within the Lagos ports and other ports nationwide, to forestall possible exit of additional liners from the Nigerian ports.

Maerskline had, last Thursday, said henceforth its vessels will be calling at Onne Port, South-South Nigeria, and to give the Lagos Ports which has remained the official port designation for about 90 per cent Nigerian cargo a break.

The statement said in part: “it is our pleasure to announce that our Far East (China, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore) service will no longer be calling at Lagos Ports but now comes to Onne directly, giving you a reduced transit time. This is effective this Jan 2020.”

Reacting, National President of the Association of Nigerian Licensed Customs Agents, ANLCA, Hon. Tony Nwabunike, said in as much as the development appears unavoidable, Maerskline should review its policy to patronize more than one port at a time, in view of the existence of more than four functional and efficient ports in Nigeria.

The ANLCA leader urged President Muhammadu Buhari to take more than passing interest in the affairs of the ports industry and prioritize infrastructure expansion and rehabilitation.
His words, “I wonder why Maerskline waited until the implementation of the IMO regulation on sulphur emission control vessels before making a decision to leave Lagos. Anyway, however you look at it, one can also think that they are running away from the choked Lagos ports because vessel turnaround time determines their profit making, and I suspect that their level best profit business atmosphere is no longer guaranteed by the ports in Lagos.

“It is business decision we must respect but I will like to know if the vessels they are sending to Onne is compliant with the IMO present standard. Recently, I wrote to President Muhammadu Buhari telling him that Lagos ports has expired and saturated due to official negligence. The infrastructures have been overdue for expansion, overdue for maintenance and that his government should do more than it is doing.”

Also commenting, Chairman, Skelas Group, Prince Olayiwola Shittu, said “The spread of ports of call for vessels coming to Nigeria could be a panacea in resolving the issues of gridlock and congestion. The NPA and NIMASA should address the IMO concern before other liners cash on our inability to properly monitor compliance with international regulations.”
According to the Ikorodu Port Terminal chapter chairman of ANLCA, Prince Jimoh Lawal, Maerskline decision may also not be unconnected with stakeholders’ complaints of cargo liners charges and the need to stave off such controversy.

He said, “I haven’t seen the Maerskline notice to know the details, but you know their decision may be like telling us they are no longer comfortable with the port congestions in Lagos and that they have alternatives. I also think that they want to avoid complaints about liners’ overbearing charges regime such as vessel queue and delay charges, container delay deposits, storage charges etc. My only worry is that manufacturers and importers with operational base in Lagos and environs will have to face additional haulage costs and attendant risks.”

On his part, the Chairman, All Ports Unified Freight Forwarders Practitioners Association, APUFFPA, Prince Mike Okorie, said Maerskline latest decision will provide cost relief for owners of cargo destined for the South-South region and contiguous markets and manufacturing locations.

His words: “In the first place I can say I am a little happy because I will support any initiative designed to decongest Lagos ports, even at that, Lagos is still central to the sub region in terms of hub activities, so there is need to fix the ports there and stop liners and businesses from running away.

“I don’t know whether Maerskline is trying to seek avenue to operate its obsolete vessels under the IMO sulphur policy hence its decision to relocate to Onne. I think it is big enough to patronize both Lagos ports and other regional ports like Warri and Calabar.

“Cargo freight from Europe to Lagos ports is higher than from Europe to the Eastern ports, but despite that, Lagos became the official port under the policy of cargo destination since Obasanjo government. The pressure on Lagos ports also led to the explosion and failure of support infrastructure. The limit of unfair policy regime and unfair market control is what we are experiencing now.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/01/congestion-stakeholders-react-to-maersklines-plan-to-dump-lagos-ports/

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by boliswitpassprik(m): 10:59am On Jan 22, 2020
jsgsji

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by DCmonster: 11:07am On Jan 22, 2020
Good development!

138 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by Chizuru01(m): 11:08am On Jan 22, 2020
Next time, obey the rules of writing. Especially the important ones. Paragraph is very important. Help nairalanders out biko

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by joyandfaith: 11:14am On Jan 22, 2020
DCmonster:
Good development!
yes oh

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by IduNaOba: 11:17am On Jan 22, 2020
Can I laugh small??

5 Likes

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by jimyjames(m): 11:29am On Jan 22, 2020
Good news for we Igbo's gradually the ball is rolling back to our court

121 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by Nobody: 11:30am On Jan 22, 2020
This is just the beginning.

I wish Igboland had link with the Ocean, Lagos would have been forgotten.

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by Racoon(m): 11:39am On Jan 22, 2020
Decongest the Lagos ports by dredging the others across the nation(Calabar, Onitsha, Warri), all the successive govts have consistently refused to do so because of economic, parochial & regional considerations

106 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by Nobody: 11:49am On Jan 22, 2020
Awol1:

most Igbo's thrives well outside igboland

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by redsun(m): 12:06pm On Jan 22, 2020
Lagos is still very much a slum. When i see Lagos on tv in this part world and sometimes, unfortunately with normal people, i do tend to wish the ground will open up and swallow me that I come from a world like that where common sense is not applicable in everyday life. The whole place looks like a piggery and people just go about there businesses like it is normal.

Yesterday there was a documentary on BBC 2 about the unsustainable increase of the world population and Lagos is one of the examples they use to show what happens when people breed without common sense

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by Bukky244: 12:23pm On Jan 22, 2020
Everyone from SE/SS must support this and make it work. Anyone who wants the progress of that region must not attack their vessels on the high seas. They have always complained of security issues around that side. Its time to encourage them by showing that the region is safe to do business. Asari should speak to his people.

160 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by slimfit1(m): 1:45pm On Jan 22, 2020
Well to hell I don't care.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by kettykings: 6:47am On Jan 23, 2020
I now realize why the md's wife might have been murdered some few weeks ago but does it have any correlation with the decision to port to onne port Harcourt .

Cargo freight from Europe to Lagos ports is higher than from Europe to the Eastern ports, but despite that, Lagos became the official port under the policy of cargo destination since Obasanjo government. The pressure on Lagos ports also led to the explosion and failure of support infrastructure. The limit of unfair policy regime and unfair market control is what we are experiencing now.”

So unfair business policy of Obasanjo government is the reason why igbos have been flooding lagos, people will come online and still blame igbos for flooding Lagos when all the while it was Obasanjo that used unfair business policy to cause it

59 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by Nobody: 6:51am On Jan 23, 2020
On his part, the Chairman, All Ports Unified Freight Forwarders Practitioners Association, APUFFPA, Prince Mike Okorie, said Maerskline latest decision will provide cost relief for owners of cargo destined for the South-East and South-South region and contiguous markets and manufacturing locations.
His words: “In the first place I can say I am a little happy because I will support any initiative designed to decongest Lagos ports,

Nice submission so far. Ports should serve the Geopolitical zone it is domiciled in.
See how they are crying like small pikin just because mearskline is leaving to another destination.
The move is most welcome.

“Cargo freight from Europe to Lagos ports is higher than from Europe to the Eastern ports, but despite that, Lagos became the official port under the policy of cargo destination since Obasanjo government. The pressure on Lagos ports also led to the explosion and failure of support infrastructure. The limit of unfair policy regime and unfair market control is what we are experiencing now.”

Imagine string of injustice. It was even Obasanjo that gave them such unfair advantage.
And most of them here will even have the effrontery to talk. Look at how Obasanjo ran down other ports just to keep Lagos ports working.
Knowing fully well cargo freight is higher in Lagos than other ports but with dictatorial hands he formulated a policy favouring only Lagos.
Buhari should review such policy and put it in order.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by helinues: 6:53am On Jan 23, 2020
Good move.

This is an opportunity for SS governors to work on the region security lapses.. Investors have been running from the region due to security threats

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by helinues: 6:54am On Jan 23, 2020
kettykings:
I now realize why the md's wife might have been murdered some few weeks ago but does it have any correlation with the decision to port to onne port Harcourt .

Cargo freight from Europe to Lagos ports is higher than from Europe to the Eastern ports, but despite that, Lagos became the official port under the policy of cargo destination since Obasanjo government. The pressure on Lagos ports also led to the explosion and failure of support infrastructure. The limit of unfair policy regime and unfair market control is what we are experiencing now.”

So unfair business policy of Obasanjo government is the reason why igbos have been flooding lagos, people will come online and still blame igbos for flooding Lagos when all the while it was Obasanjo that used unfair business policy to cause it

GEJ should have reversed the policy if we are to go by this report

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by kettykings: 6:59am On Jan 23, 2020
helinues:

GEJ should have reversed the policy if we are to go by this report

So you still doubt the report despite it coming from stakeholders and despite being in the print media

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by celeiyke: 7:00am On Jan 23, 2020
otuekong1:

What did u take?

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by helinues: 7:02am On Jan 23, 2020
kettykings:

So you still doubt the report despite it coming from stakeholders and despite being in the print media

You decided to overlook the main points..

Why didn't Gej reverse the OBJ policies about the port?

Btw, If is a conditional statement not affirmative

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by wristbangle: 7:02am On Jan 23, 2020
It's better. It's a way to di-congest Apapa port which has been overlaid with burden of cargoes and makes vehicle movement difficult.

The question is that does Onne possess the necessary infrastructure and security to contain Maersk cargoes?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by Maxymilliano(m): 7:05am On Jan 23, 2020
Good move by Maerskline, I hope other shipping lines will follow suit. The massive congestion at the Lagos port is counter productive and inhibit profitabilities.

Container laden vessels with goods and merchandise are currently idling away on international waters for almost 8 weeks with no clear date of berthing due to congestion at the port. Additional 10-12 days will be required for the containers to find its way out of the port.

This sloppiness is affecting many organizations and multinationals, sadly, the government, as represented by the Custom's is more interested in generating money.

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by kettykings: 7:18am On Jan 23, 2020
wristbangle:
It's better. It's a way to di-congest Apapa port which has been overlaid with burden of cargoes and makes vehicle movement difficult.

The question is that does Onne possess the necessary infrastructure and security to contain Maersk cargoes?
Onne port will be far better, problems of Lagos port congestion are far too many like no Parking spaces for the trucks that carry cargoes to destination, so they park on the road.
There is a railroad from Aba to port Harcourt that will enhance easy evacuation of cargoes to Aba. All rivers government needs to do is to ensure the railroad is up and running

31 Likes

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by Nobody: 7:41am On Jan 23, 2020
otuekong1:
So it it is no longer running to Lagos.
The tune is about to change and you are about to change your tune.grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by princemillla(m): 7:42am On Jan 23, 2020
As long as they are still in Nigeria I am with them. Since there is another port let's the decongestion process begins

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by valarmorghulis: 7:45am On Jan 23, 2020
Awol1:

Oga shut up, kano and kaduna doesn't have port and they are doing great

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by princemillla(m): 7:46am On Jan 23, 2020
wristbangle:

The question is that does Onne possess the [b]necessary infrastructure and security [/b]to contain Maersk cargoes?

The management of Maerskline will not make such a silly decision if the bolded above has not been duly given a good shot and scrutinized. It’s a multinational company.

The onus is now on the govt of that region to prove to other reputable company that security of life and property is valued. In no time I believe others too will follow

11 Likes

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by otokx(m): 7:54am On Jan 23, 2020
helinues:
Good move.

This is an opportunity for SS governors to work on the region security lapses.. Investors have been running from the region due to security threats

The roads from Onne to Port Harcourt, to Aba, to Warri and to Owerri which are federal roads should be repaired.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by Nobody: 8:10am On Jan 23, 2020
celeiyke:

What did u take?
Yeah,I support the the transfer of some vessels from Lagos to other eastern ports terminal

1 Like

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by wristwatchiced: 8:27am On Jan 23, 2020
We need more ports

Re: Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React by Naijazure: 9:04am On Jan 23, 2020
Nigerians and their drama Sha....

In a country of about 200million people you're using just 1 port...

When there are other viable options... Make sense oh

Maersk liner try sef... Someone like me would have docked in other ports for you guys to pick your containers...lol

22 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Niger-Delta Avengers Destroy Agip And Shell Pipelines / Lagos Lawmakers Abandon Constituency Projects Worth Multimillion Naira / #EndSARS: Nigeria Now Divided - Governor Bala Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.