Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,750 members, 7,806,052 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:44 AM

Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? (40891 Views)

"If I Do Masters, Make I Bend" IMSU Student Laments On His Graduation Day. / Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Vincent Adeoba / The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jan 23, 2020
ekestic1976:
University of Maiduguri can take you straight to the doctorate level with that kind of result and their fees are comparably low. For example, a 2-year Master course is only N25,000. Asking fees for Ph.D in any course for the whole length of study is not more than N75,000, including all handouts, feeding and hostel accommodation. They're really having it cool in Maiduguri.
Boko Haram salutes you forthe free advertisement

1 Like

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Legendguru: 5:59pm On Jan 23, 2020
Yes
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by nextdoor84(m): 6:00pm On Jan 23, 2020
AgentNairaland:
Why Not, Go To University Of Maiduguri They Even Accept Third Class

Stop spreading fake news! The requirement for a master's degree at Unimaid is 2:2 upper limit.

The university is arguably the best in the north east.
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by nextdoor84(m): 6:09pm On Jan 23, 2020
Andrewkinggg:
I'm in dire state right now..
How can a graduate of 2.2(second lower) from a polytechnic get to apply for masters or procedure on acquiring masters?
Anyone with meaningful response please help me out..

Your situation is difficult but salvageable.
Firstly, you will have to do a one year postgraduate diploma (PGD) program in the program you would like to pursue your master's degree in.
After your Pgd, with a good result you can now apply for a master's degree program.
All the best in all you do.
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by AlphaStorm: 6:11pm On Jan 23, 2020
CeterisXVII:

Stop spreading fake news. UNILAG accepts 2:2 for Masters degree programmes.

Except the requirements have been watered down. As at may 2018, it was minimum of 2.1. If u have a good 2.1 , OAU will even admit u for a m.phil programme
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by nextdoor84(m): 6:17pm On Jan 23, 2020
danbrowndmf:
wow.... how do i get info on this? i mean like more info?

That guy's info is mostly fake news.
Unimaid fees for a master's degree is well above 100k per session. Most courses run for 24 months.
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by ekestic1976(f): 7:05pm On Jan 23, 2020
danbrowndmf:
wow.... how do i get info on this? i mean like more info?

In addition, you will also have free access to Sambisa Forest for Fieldwork and Quiet Time for meditation. How blest can you be!

1 Like

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by ekestic1976(f): 7:05pm On Jan 23, 2020
nextdoor84:

Unimaid fees for a master's degree is well above 100k per session. Most courses run for 24 months.

Learn to read between the lines!
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by edoairways: 7:41pm On Jan 23, 2020
DexterousOne:

That's if you want to do PhD

I'm talking of the requirement to get the M.Sc degree.

If it's 4/5
Most Nigerians will NOT graduate cheesy cheesy
Requirement to start a master's degree is 2.2 that is 2.5 CGPA however some universities increase theirs to 3.0 depending on the school and the number of applicants to a course of study.
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by DexterousOne(m): 7:54pm On Jan 23, 2020
edoairways:

Requirement to start a master's degree is 2.2 that is 2.5 CGPA however some universities increase theirs to 3.0 depending on the school and the number of applicants to a course of study.

But that was what I said in my previous post
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Akpacha(m): 8:54pm On Jan 23, 2020
Iam sure northern Uni could accept third class.
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Lymasaba(m): 9:41pm On Jan 23, 2020
Shady92:
Unimaid msc tuition is 92k for art and 135k for sciences
Okay thanks for d imf
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Lymasaba(m): 9:45pm On Jan 23, 2020
ekestic1976:

In addition, you will also have free access to Sambisa Forest for Fieldwork and Quiet Time for meditation. How blest can you be!
It used to be ... Thats why unimaid is excellent place to study both art and science

1 Like

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by MrMacinterchi1: 10:35pm On Jan 23, 2020
inspector1:
Bro all Nigeria University accept 2.2 for postgraduate study. Even unilag accept a friend with 2.67 for MPA.
Relax ur mind and prepare ur self for the program, your cpga is quite above nigeria University requirement for postgraduate study.

lies
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by CeterisXVII: 10:48pm On Jan 23, 2020
AlphaStorm:
Except the requirements have been watered down. As at may 2018, it was minimum of 2.1. If u have a good 2.1 , OAU will even admit u for a m.phil programme
Oga, stop saying what you do not know. I graduated from UNILAG. Even before 2018, the school accepted 2:2 for Masters' degree programmes. Till today, they still accept 2:2. So why are you still peddling false info? undecided The requirements have always been the same for the last several years....
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by AgentNairaland(f): 11:44pm On Jan 23, 2020
nextdoor84:

Stop spreading fake news! The requirement for a master's degree at Unimaid is 2:2 upper limit.

The university is arguably the best in the north east.

Noted.. Remember Anything Westerners Is against Boko Haram Militants.. Or la only Arabic den dey study for Unimaid ko ? Tell me what maketh them the best
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Sedonxavi: 4:52am On Jan 24, 2020
Yes ...you will certainly get admission even in topbfederal university in Nigeria
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by danbrowndmf(m): 4:53pm On Jan 25, 2020
undecided
ekestic1976:

undecided undecided
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by danbrowndmf(m): 4:54pm On Jan 25, 2020
nextdoor84:

wow.... pgd 24months too?
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by nuelleoz(m): 12:43am On Jan 27, 2020
Keenmind2019:

Even with 3rd u can
Which school?
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Keenmind2019(m): 12:55am On Jan 27, 2020
nuelleoz:

Which school?
UI
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by nuelleoz(m): 3:30pm On Jan 27, 2020
Keenmind2019:

UI
Did you just say UI accepts 3rd class for masters?. That's not true.
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Keenmind2019(m): 4:53pm On Jan 27, 2020
nuelleoz:

Did you just say UI accepts 3rd class for masters?. That's not true.
It's very true. I had a friend who was doing his MSc in computer science. Guy had a 3rd

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by PQanalysis: 8:57am On Mar 12, 2020
Updated

Get Unilag Postgraduate Entrance Exam PQ @N2500.

Courses included are:
MSc Accounting
Msc Statistics
MSc Economics
MSc Geography
Msc History and Strategic Studies
Msc Production and Operation Management
Masters in Process Engineering
MSc Finance
Msc Chemitry
Msc English Literature
Msc Mass communication
MSc Sociology
MSc Electrical Electronics Engineering
Msc Mechanical Engineering
Msc Construction Management
Msc Cell Biology and Genetics
MSc Biochemistry
MSc Microbiology
MSc Marketing
MSc Operations Management
MSc Environmental toxicology
MSc Computer Science
MIT
MBA
PGD in Education
MSC Biomedical Engineering
@N3000
MPH/MSc Public Health (Comes with a free textbook)
@N4000
MSc Meteorology and Material Engineering

Conctact:
pqanalysis@gmail.com
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by PQanalysis: 12:48pm On Mar 12, 2020
HINT: Unilag PG 2020/2021 Form will be out in..
So many people have been asking when the University of Lagos PG form will be out. Well, the PG school have given a hint already so you can start doing your calculation and preparation because it is almost here. The form is stated to be out by end of March/April, 2020. Attached is the hint.

If you have not started your preparation, this is a wake up call. Don't be caught unawares.

Get Unilag Postgraduate Entrance Exam PQ @N2500.
Courses included are:
MSc Accounting
Msc Statistics
MSc Economics
MSc Geography
Msc History and Strategic Studies
Msc Production and Operation Management
Masters in Process Engineering
MSc Finance
Msc Chemitry
Msc English Literature
Msc Mass communication
MSc Sociology
MSc Electrical Electronics Engineering
Msc Mechanical Engineering
Msc Construction Management
Msc Cell Biology and Genetics
MSc Biochemistry
MSc Microbiology
MSc Marketing
MSc Operations Management
MSc Environmental toxicology
MSc Computer Science
MIT
MBA
PGD in Education
MSC Biomedical Engineering

@5000
MSc Meteorology and Material Engineering (Comprehensive PQ materials)

@N3000
MPH/MSc Public Health (Comes with a free textbook)

Conctact: pqanalysis@gmail.com
Whatssapp: 08151379335[/b

[b]Special Package for MSc Public Health applicants.

Get more info about the program here https://www.nairaland.com/5693824/unilag-msc-public-health-2020.

We have started our online class for Msc Public Health. The numbers are building up already. Don't wait till the group is filled. Join us now.

The PQ + textbook + Group Access is N5000. Get in touch and let the success journey begins.

Get in touch now.
email: pqanalysis@gmail.com
whatsapp: 08151379335

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Tobinrobin(m): 12:33pm On Sep 24, 2021
larryking540:

I have all I need about pgd ,,here if u would also like to know ,,,

One commonly used acronym relating to
postgraduate study is PGD. It simply means
Postgraduate Diploma. Hopefully, you are
used to M.phil, M.B.A and few others.

Postgraduate diploma (PGD) is an advanced
certificate, awarded by the school of
postgraduate studies of the respective
University (in Nigeria). A PGD is not a
degree per se. Then comes the question…..

WHY PGD ANYWAY?
A PGD serves more as a entry qualification
for a Masters degree programme. While
having a Bachelor degrees would suffice for
postgraduate admission, certain situations
warrant the need for a PGD.

Majorly, a PGD is needed when seeking
Masters admission to a specialization that
your is outside the scope of the Bachelors
degree. This means, it is possible to switch
course of study or career paths, without
restarting a new four/five years Bachelors
degree.

No matter your new fancy or interest. PGD
makes the switch possible and maybe
faster. Note didn’t say easier. Case in
point, bachelors graduate of chemistry, can
do a Masters in Chemical Engineering after
a postgraduate diploma PGD in Chemical
Engineering.

In addition, a PGD is needed if there was a
poor or below standard academic
performance. In this case, PGD is needed to
prove that the certain prerequisite grade.

Its is also needed to show that the student
can meet the intellectual demands of doing
the Masters degree of the course of study,
and the poor performance at previous
Bachelors degrees was probably due to
exigencies. Doing a PGD, serves as a
foundation programme in this respect. Many
Universities outside Nigeria called PGD,
Foundation Masters or Pre-Masters. They
all serve the same purpose.

In Nigeria in particular, PGD is required for
HND (Higher National Diploma) graduate by
some University before proceeding for a
Masters programme.

WHAT TYPE OF PGD SHOULD YOU STUDY
FOR?
The are PGD programmes in virtually every
course of study. But the most popular
seems to be the postgraduate diploma in
education (PGDE). This is necessary for all
who desire to be teachers at any level
(primary – university) but did not study
education. There are also PGD in
Journalism, PGD in Engineering, PGD in
some medical fields and PGD Business
Administration, Marketing, Finance,
Economics etc.

HOW LONG FOR A PGD?
Duration for a PGD programme depends on
specific schools. It ranges from a year to
two. The shortest time would not be less
than 9 months. The duration for a PGD is
also dependent types of study, full time,
part time, sandwish or distance learning. Do
note the unlike M.Phil. PGD is a terminal
programme, except in rare cases.
Admission for a Masters degree is not
automatic, and this prospective student
needs to apply formally.

Whatever your choices are, sure you are
better informed about what PGD is all
about.

This was more than helpful. Thank you. Thank you very much. God bless

1 Like

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by faladeoluwafunm: 12:02pm On Oct 31, 2023
Does unilag accepts second class lower for masters?
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by faladeoluwafunm: 12:05pm On Oct 31, 2023
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by faladeoluwafunm: 12:09pm On Oct 31, 2023
faladeoluwafunm:
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Drahl(m): 3:20pm On Oct 31, 2023
[quote author=faladeoluwafunm post=126715269][/quote]
My brother you have asked this question numerous times, it seems you are not satisfied with the responses.
1. UNILAG accepts 2.2 for masters degree( they even take 3rd class in some departments)
2. UNILAG DOES NOT care about your CGPA as long as it is 2.2.( meaning with a cgpa of 2.4, you are good to go)
3. UNILAG does not require transcript if you have your original certificate, however, they only require transcript if you are using statement of result.
4. Just pass their entrance exam.
Take it from someone who studied systems engineering(M.Sc.) from unilag.
CLOSURE#

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gp Calculation,carry Over Problem. / Graduates Of Sociology, Where Are You Working Now? / Ambrose Alli University Students Protest At Police Station Against Harassments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.