Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:44 AM

I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? (65394 Views)

Please I Need A Loan Of 500k.i'll Drop My Personal House Document As Collateral / UPDATE ON I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan. / How To Obtain Loan Online In Nigeria With Alat App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by farady(m): 3:30pm On Jan 23, 2020
You screwed up big time bro. Straight away, start making plans to to pay up whatever he is still owing; even if it's the entire N3m. Or else you will lose your house. There's no grammar there.
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by richmanrichard: 3:30pm On Jan 23, 2020
Yoruba and owambe! Make Ijoba&ayo kolokolo for ado ekiti slap any1 wey go yab me
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by noble71(m): 3:31pm On Jan 23, 2020
Nicklaus619:

Nothing to terminate bros
He indemnified his cousin and not just an ordinary guarantor, so therefore it means that the. Bank has the legal backing to sell that house to recover their money if the guy eventually could not pay back.

All he need do now is[b] pray[/b] he pays back else the. Bank will surely liquidate that asset.
Omg op is indeed gullible
I can't give my. Blood brothers my house document for a loan
I can't even give my selfs my own house document for a loan
That's a stupid and silly thing to do
that guy will not repay that loan cus he has nothing to loose.
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by farady(m): 3:32pm On Jan 23, 2020
emmachukwu99:
Get a good lawyer, make the case open.. if he defaults paying you, use legal means to confiscate his goods and get Ur money back.

Thank me later.

If he has the mind to carry out this advise it's good.

1 Like

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by shanga(m): 3:32pm On Jan 23, 2020
Sunofgod:
Mumu

Better mumu...
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Dunnigrace(m): 3:34pm On Jan 23, 2020
lalasticlala:
People use sweet mouth to borrow but when it's time to pay back they will now see you as their enemy.....

He won't pay that money back and you will be held responsible.

So lalasticlala also comments too....

Why did Lalasticlala really like snake much?

1 Like

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:34pm On Jan 23, 2020
isthatso:

he may have assets that the bank will not accept but are disposable like a car

Cars are not acceptable collaterals, it is when we need a loan that most of what we think as assets are not acceptable by banks.

Acceptable assets and collaterals by banks include property with valid document, liquid shares of blue chip companies, Treasury Bills investments, Bonds and other debt instruments and Eurobonds.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by mfm04622: 3:35pm On Jan 23, 2020
wwwkaycom:
I gave my house documents to my cousin to take a bank loan of 3 million naira but I like to retrieve my documents back because of the way he and his wife have been doing things since October, 2019.

He is involved in sales of agrochemicals. He discussed with me on how profitable the business is but that he didn't really have money to put into it.

The wife lost her job in the bank and had to join him in the business. Being a close cousin and friend of mine, I gave out my house documents to him as collateral and the bank actually came to do some inspection in my house and I signed some documents.

The big issue now is that my cousin have not paid a dime back since August last year when he got the loan and between then and now he has done 3 parties that I'm sure gulped lots of money. The wedding of his younger sister in October, wedding of his brother in law in December and 40th birthday of his wife in January. These were serious lavish parties which I think could be done modestly.

I asked him on Monday about the loan and he said his moratorium will expire in February and there's no cause for alarm. This is different from what he told me before I released my documents, he said he will have gone far in repayment even before the expiration of moratorium. I reminded him about this but he said there is no problem about his ability to pay back since the business is lucrative.

I also discovered that one of our uncles actually borrowed him 2 million naira in 2017 which he hasn't paid back till now, he hasn't paid a dime back, I didn't do due diligence before releasing my documents to him.

Uncle told me yesterday that he would have discouraged me from giving out my documents if I had informed him before the loan was granted. Uncle also told me that he disagreed with him about his clubbing and partying lifestyles as a struggling businessman but that instead of appreciating his concern, he and his wife fought him and boasted his 2 million naira will be paid back before mid 2018 but till today he hasn't paid a dime. Hope I haven't shot myself in the leg with this help which I think I rendered to a friend and family?

The worst part of it is that my wife was not fully in support of my intention to help him then.

Where do I start from good people?

He promised to start paying by January ending, if he fail to do this, is it possible to break that bond and retrieve my documents from the bank? Can I tell him and the bank that I'm no longer interested in guaranteeing the loan? I'm afraid, kindly help.

You have no choice but to be paying the loan on his behalf if you don't want to lose your house! You can't break the guarantee!
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 23, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Cars are not acceptable collaterals, it is when we need a loan that most of what we think as assets are not acceptable by banks.

Acceptable assets and collaterals by banks include property with valid document, liquid shares of blue chip companies, Treasury Bills investments, Bonds and other debt instruments and Eurobonds.

did you read what I wrote? I said he may have assets that are not acceptable by a bank that HE can seize and dispose of to pay off the loan and retreive his document.
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by saintruky(m): 3:36pm On Jan 23, 2020
wwwkaycom:
The things I'm reading here terrifies me. I just called his elder brother who knows about the loan and how I assisted him. He said I should calm down, that he will first ask him if he has started paying and then tactically advise him to start paying as from January ending as he promised. He also advised that I shouldn't fight him.

If u ask me I'd say u listen to d advise of d elder brother.. Trust me, ur cousin is going to fulfil ever part of the agreement that concerns repayment of d loan... Don't be afraid.. ur house is in tact.. just relax, I say relax....
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by AlphaT1(m): 3:37pm On Jan 23, 2020
lalasticlala:
People use sweet mouth to borrow but when it's time to pay back they will now see you as their enemy.....

He won't pay that money back and you will be held responsible.
My brother I have learnt the hard way...I shall never ever loan any money to a friend or family member again. If they need 2million and I have 50k to let go, I will dash but say na borrow dem or loan dem; never! I still have a lot of money in their hands that I have left to God... humans are just wicked....

3 Likes

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Witchersunited: 3:37pm On Jan 23, 2020
dominique:

That's illegal, besides which documents will he use to sell it? The house documents are in the bank's possession now.
He can explain to the buyer, the buyer gives him upfront with signed agreement, he pays the bank, gets the documents back, give the buyer and collect the balance, I don't think it's illegal, all the bank cares about is getting their money back.

1 Like

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by sojfarm: 3:38pm On Jan 23, 2020
Ask your lawyer to formally invite him, your uncle and the bank for a meeting.

a. As a major party to the transaction ask questions about the current situation of things on the business

b. Tell the bank to mandate your cousin to send monthly cash flows of the business to the bank and you. This will enable you to have knowledge of how the business is doing and his capacity repay in due course of time.

c. If he refuses to this term arrangement, tell your lawyer to review the terms on which you gave your property as collateral. The essence of this is to see (in case you want to withdrawal asset) if the bank will first consider the assets (stock, cash, etc) of the business before coming for your property.

d. If C above is possible and your cousin still does not agree to your terms, mandate your lawyer to engage the bank for possible withdrawal of your asset and the bank should consider liquidation of your cousin business to recover their money.

Your lawyer needs to be very firm on this engagement. Anything is possible.

On this approach you may need to step on toes, but make sure your interest is well taken care of.

d.

6 Likes

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jan 23, 2020
Bombastically00:
Bank sef no pray say make una see d money.... U played a risky game out of generosity,,,Now to retrieve ur own very document is now a burden for u to carry alone....

Las Las na juju go follow am if u keep disturbing...

what Juju? he said his cousin drinks and love night life, he must be a bad guy, he will just arrange for him to be shot and make it look like accident, OP there is 3 bedroom for rent o,
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by domchike(m): 3:38pm On Jan 23, 2020
Report your matter to EFCC fast its better to lose 5%,of the money
wwwkaycom:
I gave my house documents to my cousin to take a bank loan of 3 million naira but I like to retrieve my documents back because of the way he and his wife have been doing things since October, 2019.

He is involved in sales of agrochemicals. He discussed with me on how profitable the business is but that he didn't really have money to put into it.

The wife lost her job in the bank and had to join him in the business. Being a close cousin and friend of mine, I gave out my house documents to him as collateral and the bank actually came to do some inspection in my house and I signed some documents.

The big issue now is that my cousin have not paid a dime back since August last year when he got the loan and between then and now he has done 3 parties that I'm sure gulped lots of money. The wedding of his younger sister in October, wedding of his brother in law in December and 40th birthday of his wife in January. These were serious lavish parties which I think could be done modestly.

I asked him on Monday about the loan and he said his moratorium will expire in February and there's no cause for alarm. This is different from what he told me before I released my documents, he said he will have gone far in repayment even before the expiration of moratorium. I reminded him about this but he said there is no problem about his ability to pay back since the business is lucrative.

I also discovered that one of our uncles actually borrowed him 2 million naira in 2017 which he hasn't paid back till now, he hasn't paid a dime back, I didn't do due diligence before releasing my documents to him.

Uncle told me yesterday that he would have discouraged me from giving out my documents if I had informed him before the loan was granted. Uncle also told me that he disagreed with him about his clubbing and partying lifestyles as a struggling businessman but that instead of appreciating his concern, he and his wife fought him and boasted his 2 million naira will be paid back before mid 2018 but till today he hasn't paid a dime. Hope I haven't shot myself in the leg with this help which I think I rendered to a friend and family?

The worst part of it is that my wife was not fully in support of my intention to help him then.

He promised to start paying by January ending, if he fail to do this, is it possible to break that bond and retrieve my documents from the bank? Can I tell him and the bank that I'm no longer interested in guaranteeing the loan? I'm afraid, kindly help.
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Hotfella(m): 3:38pm On Jan 23, 2020
Don't guarantee anything for anybody, not even your shadow. People are heartless and mad at the same time.

2 Likes

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by golddare: 3:38pm On Jan 23, 2020
wwwkaycom:

1. My brother start looking for the money to pay back the bank if you dont want to loose that building.

2. Get a lawyer as someone suggested.

3. If there was no commitment or documented agreement between both of you, look for cunning ways to make him sign a fresh agreement. For example you can tell him jokingly at the end of this month when he must have failed to pay, tell him you want him to write how much he will be paying you, even if na 20k monthly but when preparing the document use style to insert building, bank loan etc, your lawyer can do that for you. Make sure you put on your mumu face oo.

4. If the guy no gree, call family meeting for his head and make sure from now on, you record your phone calls, your sms, WhatsApp chats and if possible video calls. Infact from now onward begin to gather all these things.

5. Finally watch your back, dont let your mumu kill you for your wife and children oo.
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Ambboondo: 3:39pm On Jan 23, 2020
Bro you’re a mumu
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Awoo88: 3:39pm On Jan 23, 2020
Bros you mess up big time. Where your dey wen u dey take your house document borrow money for another person??
The guy is not losing anything. He will will not fill obligated to pay. Start calling family meeting now and start shouting to every body in your family before bank size you house

1 Like

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by ubox: 3:40pm On Jan 23, 2020
buzorcharles:
Go to the bank and inquire his payment style. If it's red then get a lawyer on standby. Ask him abt his plan on how to pay and if he is not sounding right, go and make another copy of that house from the ministry of housing and sell it And voom
Lol, it doesn't work like that grin
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by maestroferdi: 3:41pm On Jan 23, 2020
maestroferddi:
Stop this naivety!

Get a lawyer involved now.

The lawyer writes to him threatening him with prosecution for criminal breach of trust.

The letter from the lawyer will be admissible as an evidence against him in the forthcoming foreclosure battle in court.

You better save money for legal charges for the impending roforofo...

You are in deep kasala dude, so wake up and stop deluding yourself before your house is sold by the bank.

A stitch in time....
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Witchersunited: 3:41pm On Jan 23, 2020
izibili44:
I once work in the bank before leaving the country.Brother we do our work very well before giving you a loan.He is in big trouble if the cousin refuse to pay the loan.
and yet there are many non performing loans, how much loan is amcon holding? Isn't it trillions, what happened?
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jan 23, 2020
wwwkaycom:

Go to the police station and lay a complain of threat to life. I see him killing you before February
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by ajl: 3:42pm On Jan 23, 2020
People giving their property documents to another individual to use as collateral for a bank loan happens often. And it's also common that debtors refuse to pay back the loan leading banks to pursue foreclosure of the bank through a court of law. Likewise, the 2nd party that own the property often head to the court to file a claim against the bank to release the document. I have run into cases like this.

You are probably one of the parties to the agreement with the bank. The best option you have now to prevent the bank from foreclosing or garnishing your property is for you to repay the loan plus interest. The other option is for you to get a lawyer to look for loopholes in the agreement, which I doubt there would be any because banks are pretty smart in covering their "asses". More so, 2nd option will cost you money as you have to pay the lawyer. Additionally if you loose, you may have to pay damages to the bank aside from the loan and (20% - 25%) interest. This damages is often the defendants (i.e. bank) legal cost.

If the loan amount is truly N3 million, I will advise that you look for the money to repay yourself because you are like a guarantor for the loan.

For some reasons, I think the loan is more than N3 million because what reasonable individual use a house of higher value as collateral for a mere N3 million loan. Doesn't make sense.

An example of such court case is attached where an individual is challenging the bank claim to such property.

1 Like

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by wirinet(m): 3:42pm On Jan 23, 2020
stagger:

Women have a lot of intuition. You need to listen more to your wife.

You are about to lose your house. You better take very tough but necessary actions with your cousin. Get a lawyer and take over his business by force, if you have to. DO it at gunpoint, if you have to.

I once gave a loan to my first cousin. This is 2 years and he has not paid and stopped taking my calls. Relations are the most heartless people ever. You can help them from a distance, but never commit yourself into a loan arrangement or anything of the sort.

This is the best advice so far. Get a lawyer and sue your cousin for all his assets including the company. I just hope there is actually a company he is using to do business. Since you did not enter into a formal agreement on what happens if he defaults, it might complicate issues.

You also need to liase with the bank to know exactly how much is owed and the interest rate. It might be better to sell the property to offset the debt and make use of the balance. I am sure your house is worth more than N3 million. This still doesn't stop you from suing for the balance.
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Dunnigrace(m): 3:43pm On Jan 23, 2020
crafteck:
People on this forum don't want to tell you the plain truth, I don't know why they are beating around the Bush, with all due respect sir, you are very stupid.

How does this solve d matter?

OP needs ur advice not abuse
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by daddio(m): 3:43pm On Jan 23, 2020
wwwkaycom:

COUSIN KEH!?

IF MY BROTHER COULD REFUSED TO GIVE OUT HIS OWN TO HIS WIFE TO OBTAIN LOAN HOW MUCH MORE A COUSIN!?

KO NI DAA FUN COUSIN YEN

grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by XchUskY4u(m): 3:43pm On Jan 23, 2020
YUDOMINIT shocked
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jan 23, 2020
golddare:

1. My brother start looking for the money to pay back the bank if you dont want to loose that building.

2. Get a lawyer as someone suggested.

3. If there was no commitment or documented agreement between both of you, look for cunning ways to make him sign a fresh agreement. For example you can tell him jokingly at the end of this month when he must have failed to pay, tell him you want him to write how much he will be paying you, even if na 20k monthly but when preparing the document use style to insert building, bank loan etc, your lawyer can do that for you. Make sure you put on your mumu face oo.

4. If the guy no gree, call family meeting for his head and make sure from now on, you record your phone calls, your sms, WhatsApp chats and if possible video calls. Infact from now onward begin to gather all these things.

5. Finally watch your back, dont let your mumu kill you for your wife and children oo.
I can bet you the poster won't see March if he does not report to police. Also write to immigration cause the man fit don use your money prepare to go Canada
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Chuksgeo: 3:44pm On Jan 23, 2020
OP these are hard lessons we learn in life. Now here's my own uncle's experience in Italy.
My uncle worked for a very big and popular Automobile company in Italy for almost 2 decades until he had an industrial accident which the company paid him off hugely with a small stipend allowance to be received monthly.

So uncle bought a nice house and to say the least stopped paying rent and started a small business since he can no longer be employed, and as a very trusted member of the African community in the city, he offers endless help to people until something happened when on member of the community had a case with his debtors and needed someone with a property to guarantee/sign a shorty for him which no one agreed to except my uncle after much begging even against his wife's consent.
Fast forward to 4 months later, the guy took his family and disappeared, no trace not even in Nigeria and the debtors soon came for uncles house and without much contest, the house is gone and my uncle till today is living in a rented apartment paying rent meanwhile his property of almost #200,000 Euros gone in the name helping a fellow Naija in need. Two years later fillers are that this man is living large in one of the Scandinavian countries with his family and no call, no text.
Since then everybody in my family is always alert when it comes to going this far in helping people, the issue is that my uncle still dey help people till this day which is what still baffles my family.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by ChiefS(m): 3:44pm On Jan 23, 2020
There's something called 'foolish kindness'. You should be wise as serpent and harmless as dove.
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Solatium(m): 3:45pm On Jan 23, 2020
Born2Breed:
You are in deep shit sir.

Get a lawyer right away to look for loopholes in the agreement so you can get your documents back.

I doubt though.

Lawyer go just chop him money,there is no way out here,is either he pay or let go of the house.
it was the legal department of the bank that drafted that agreement

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Badly Printed New Naira Notes (Pictures) / Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 / My Experience Today In Warri ( graphic pix be warnned) !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.