Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:26 PM

Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government (19710 Views)

Lukman Gbadegesin: New Alaafin Selected By Oyo Kingmakers - Document, Court / Tinubu Floors Atiku, Obi In 12 Oyo LGs / 10 Policemen Injured In Ibadan, Their AK-47 Rifles Seized By Oyo Park Managers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Nobody: 3:40am On Jan 24, 2020
Oyo State Government has rejected the intervention of the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN) in the raging controversy over local government dissolution in the state.

Attorney-General of Oyo State, Professor Oyelowo Oyewo, in a response to a letter by the AGF, said the AGF has no business dabbling into the matter of local government dissolution in Oyo State, which is pending before the Court of Appeal.

In the rejoinder entitled “RE: ALLEGED UNCONSTITUTIONALITY OF DISSOLUTION OF ELECTED LOCAL GOVERNMENT COUNCILS AND APPOINTMENT OF CARETAKER COMMITTEES: THE URGENT NEED FOR COMPLIANCE WITH EXTANT JUDICIAL DECISIONS,” Professor Oyewo said: “I wish to note that your letter Ref. No, HAGF/OYO/2020/Vol.1/1 of 14th January, 2020 dealing with the above subject matter was never served on us, but we read about it and had to secure a copy from the social media.

“I must note that under Section 7(1) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) which you referred to in your letter, it is the Law of the State Government that is to ensure the existence of the system of Local Government by democratically elected Local Government Council by providing for the establishment, structure, composition, finance and functions of such councils and not a Federal Law/Act.

“It is, therefore, not clear under what Act of the National Assembly the office of the Attorney-General of the Federation & Minister of Justice was acting in writing the letter under reference.

“It should be borne in mind that our Constitution has established a Federal system of government whereby the state government is not under the command of the Federal Government, neither are we under Military Era when the Federal Government could give a binding order to the State Government by mere proclamation and at will. We are now in a civilian dispensation and the position of every officer whether at the Federal or State level is guided by the provisions of the Constitution and relevant law.”

The Oyo AG referred the AGF to two cases including Attorney-General Lagos Vs Attorney-General Federation (2004) 18 N.W.LR (PT.S 904)II and Attorney General Abia Vs Attorney-General Federation(2002) 6 N.W.L.R (PT. 763)264.

The letter continued: “We are of the firm belief that your letter under reference was written without adequate information and knowledge of the current position with respect to the subject matter of Local Government Dissolution in Oyo State.

“A careful diligent search would have shown that the issue of Dissolution of Local Government in Oyo is presently a subject matter of stay/appeal and pending at the Court of Appeal in the following cases; a.) Governor of Oyo State vs Basorun Bosun Ajuwon Appeal NO CA/IB/300/2019 and b.) Basorun Majeed Bosun Ajuwon vs Governor of Oyo State CA/IB/362/2019.”

The Government of Oyo State, however, took exception to perceived threats by Malami, especially his directive to some federal agencies to “ensure compliance,” noting that until the constitutional right of appeal, which is guaranteed in the country’s adjudicatory system, is exhausted, Malami had no right to dabble in the matter of the local government dissolution or threaten the State.

"We, therefore, want to advise the Attorney-General of the Federation to rise above partisan politics and advise parties to await judgment of the court in the various appeals. To do otherwise is to foist a fait accompli on the court. As a law-abiding Government, we are prepared to abide by the decision of the court when eventually delivered.

“We are, however, unperturbed by the subtle threat in your letter and your directives to take steps to ensure compliance of a cited judgment in which Oyo State was never a party and on a live matter in which an appeal is pending.

“For the avoidance of doubt, please note further that in Oyo State, the issue of Local Government administration is presently before the court of competent jurisdiction and by our adjudicatory system, whoever is aggrieved by the decision of a court has the constitutional right of appeal. Until such right is exhausted, the Attorney-General of the Federation & Minister of Justice cannot dabble into such matter. We are aware of the provisions of Section 174 (1) to (3) of the CFRN, 1999 (as amended) but they only relate to criminal proceedings and not civil matters as in this case.

"The action of the Attorney-General of the Federation & Minister of Justice is therefore uncalled for with respect to a matter that is sub judice. It is only a court of law that can given such an order and not the office of the Attorney-General & Minister of Justice. All the cases referred to in your letter mentioned above are not on all fours with the present cases involving Oyo State because the facts are not the same. A case is an authority for what it decides.

“It will therefore be in interest of justice to allow the rule of law to prevail by letting the pending cases involving Oyo State on the dissolution of Local Governments in Oyo State to run their full course in the law courts.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/dailypost.ng/2020/01/23/oyo-lgs-mind-your-business-makinde-govt-replies-agf-malami/amp/

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Nobody: 3:43am On Jan 24, 2020
cool
Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Freestainworld(m): 3:47am On Jan 24, 2020
Malami that doesnt know our Nigerian constitution, he just behaves like his boss on the top.

97 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by funshint(m): 5:07am On Jan 24, 2020
This Attorney General Malami does not know what he's doing. Just putting mouth into what does not concerns him. Reminds me of Andoakah that time.

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Nobody: 5:17am On Jan 24, 2020
These people in this man’s govt must really think they are overlords, you can clearly see for yourselves how their master- slave rule has turned out in the north. But they forget that there are are certain type of people(SW) that even before the advent of the white man, their kings couldn’t even suppress them because they have what is called “free-spirit”.

83 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Benwallt(m): 5:18am On Jan 24, 2020
Malami again. Is he so daft?

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by anonimi: 5:19am On Jan 24, 2020

25 Likes

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by picoba(m): 5:21am On Jan 24, 2020

SAN - Senior Advocate of the North

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Nobody: 5:21am On Jan 24, 2020
This only happens when a Governor is not answerable to any Godfather and believes in the votes of his people, neither is he over-ambitious on political growth...

106 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by ojobek: 5:25am On Jan 24, 2020
Like attorney general like CJN

11 Likes

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by gambia(m): 5:30am On Jan 24, 2020
Mumu people
Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Goldencheese(m): 5:31am On Jan 24, 2020
The AGF most times talks first before he thinks.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by RaptObserver: 5:32am On Jan 24, 2020
Were the dissolved local government elected? If so then can a governor dissolve a government before the expiration of its tenure? Or are they caretaker committee? Well, let us watch out cos I don't have much info on this case.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by joyandfaith: 5:33am On Jan 24, 2020
Esseite:
This only happens when a Governor is not answerable to any Godfather and believes in the votes of his people, neither is he over-ambitious on political growth...

You are on point. Makinde has no godfather, believes in votes of masses, and he is not over -ambitious politically.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Le2money(m): 5:33am On Jan 24, 2020
Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Benwallt(m): 5:36am On Jan 24, 2020
anonimi:

As daft as his olodo boss and his almajiri CJN.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2165170_tinubumumu_jpeg841752a3a8712d5ed9d37dcc8ef65266

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2026486_buharinoschool_jpeg7b091b4b2030902d513c2f395f96a19d
. They should add daft to his name to save the rest of us from dying young as a result of his induced BP. Everything that has to do with that man will somehow wanna make u to spill your guts.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by freedomchild: 5:37am On Jan 24, 2020
Naija needs restructuring.. This our so called constitution is contradictory.

7 Likes

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by sparog(m): 5:40am On Jan 24, 2020
The way you guys insult elderly people cos of politics on this forum is not cool oooo

Calling people old enough to be your fathers and grandfathers derogatory names is not cool even if you don't like or agree with the person's politics

I dnt like the way the country is at the moment too but calling people names would nt solve the challenges the country is facing

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by WandaNara: 5:44am On Jan 24, 2020
Who the fVck is malami?

10 Likes

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Nobody: 5:45am On Jan 24, 2020
Malami seems jobless, dabbling in affairs that don't concern him.

I doubt if he understands what his job entails.

8 Likes

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by looseweight: 5:47am On Jan 24, 2020
See how a whole AGF/ Minister of justice was schooled. shocked

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by irunoko(m): 5:48am On Jan 24, 2020
God gave us a good climatic condition, good soil and environment for crops to grow and thrive,large land mast ,human and natural resources. the only disaster Nigeria is suffering from is her leaders

No sense,no vision,no foresight.Nigeria has to revolve around them

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Nobody: 5:48am On Jan 24, 2020
sparog:
The way you guys insult elderly people cos of politics on this forum is not cool oooo

Calling people old enough to be your fathers and grandfathers derogatory names is not cool even if you don't like or agree with the person's politics

I dnt like the way the country is at the moment too but calling people names would nt solve the challenges the country is facing

That's the problem with the average African.

These so-called elders have sold your destiny and those of your kids and their kids after them and pocketed the money, but here you are advocating for respect for them.

Do you know what they do to corrupt public officials in China no matter how old they are?

Keep bowing and scraping to the them while they suck the life out of the nation.

Respect is earned not bestowed.

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Born2Breed(f): 5:48am On Jan 24, 2020
grin

Animal talk don start again.
Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Powersurge: 5:49am On Jan 24, 2020
I don't think there has been any time in our national history when govt has been so incompetend. We have a chief justice that could bearly comprehend simple sentences. A formal IG of police that couldn't understand things. We have an Attorney General that does not understand his duties.

I was shocked when I read in the news that Malami decleared Àmòtékùn illegal. Something that even the president cannot do unless certain conditions are met. He was obviously pressured by his Fulani brothers to take side.

Fulani herders are 4th biggest terrorist group in the world with thousands of kills to their name. He did not declear Miyetti Allah that is affiliated to a terrorist group as an illegal entity. I don't want to refer to Civilian JTF because they are doing great job. Yet they are illegal...bearing heavy arms.

Now he is issuing a threat to a state government with immunity. These are matters that are beyond Malami's office.

14 Likes

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by sparog(m): 5:54am On Jan 24, 2020
FrLukas:

That's the problem with the average African.

These so-called elders have sold your destiny and those of your kids and their kids after them and pocketed the money, but here you are advocating for respect for them.

Do you know what they do to corrupt public officials in China no matter how old they are?

Keep bowing and scraping to the them while they suck the life out of the nation.

Respect is earned not bestowed.

I'm certain you have parents at home and sometimes you might not like the choices or decisions they make around the house. When their decisions causes negative repercussions to the family, do you go about insulting and vilifying them?

Now tell me, do all the insults change anything?

No matter the situation or provocation, a well trained person will be civil when talking to elders.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by traihit: 5:56am On Jan 24, 2020
sparog:

Much as I wouldn't want to support namecalling whether it's for elderly people or not, I'd still like to state that the 'elderly' in Nigeria actually miused the privilege of respect being bestowed on them by the younger generation. Go to any bureaucratic setup and see how corrupt some of these 'elderly' people are. Look at the 'elderly' people in Nigeria who have amassed vast amounts of wealth for their generations to come while over 100million Nigerians are living in the abyss of poverty.

I don't insult people: young or old and I don't support insulting anyone even if I disagree with what they've done but if Nigeria were to have capital punishment and strictly adheres to it, many of these people you call 'elderly' would be rotting in dungeons now.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by sparog(m): 6:02am On Jan 24, 2020
traihit:

Much as I wouldn't want to support namecalling whether it's for elderly people or not, I'd still like to state that the 'elderly' in Nigeria actually miused the privilege of respect being bestowed on them by the younger generation. Go to any bureaucratic setup and see how corrupt some of these 'elderly' people are. Look at the 'elderly' people in Nigeria who have amassed vast amounts of wealth for their generations to come while over 100million Nigerians are living in the abyss of poverty.

I don't insult people: young or old and I don't support insulting anyone even if I disagree with what they've done but if Nigeria were to have capital punishment and strictly adheres to it, many of these people you call 'elderly' would be rotting in dungeons now.

You are right

Now, you commented without actually insulting or calling anyone names. This is what I'm talking about.

We don't have to loose our home training because of these people grin

7 Likes

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Georgry(m): 6:03am On Jan 24, 2020
Mr Malami only wanted to sound reasonable and relevant, a product of qota system can never challenge the suphisticated lawyers we have in the South, in a court free from interference , Mr Malami will loose 10/10 court cases between him and a southern lawyer.

7 Likes

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Stalwert: 6:04am On Jan 24, 2020
All this story because you disregarded the Supreme Court Ruling which clearly forbids the action you undertook. The interesting thing is that many of the morons who shout Rule of Law, and now in full support of disregarding the highest court in the country.

3 Likes

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Nobody: 6:04am On Jan 24, 2020
sparog:

I'm certain you have parents at home and sometimes you might not like the choices or decisions they make around the house. When their decisions causes negative repercussions to the family, do you go about insulting and vilifying them?

Now tell me, do all the insults change anything?

No matter the situation or provocation, a well trained person will be civil when talking to elders.

Silly comparison.

If all your parents did was to spend their money partying and neglected to feed you, shelter you, clothe you, or even remember to send you to school for even the basic education, but kept on flying from one continent to another enjoying their lives while they left you in the care of nannies or even grandma in the village, will you bless them and pray for them and give them the respect they don't deserve?

Keep bowing to them politicians. You will understand that they aren't your parents.

I guess you still stay with your folks, right? That's why you probably feel politicians should be respected.

Finish NYSC first and start searching for a non existent job for the next ten years, then you will know what's up.

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oyo LGs: Malami's Intervention Rejected By Oyo State Government by Qoko: 6:07am On Jan 24, 2020
I hv learnt alot from the response of Oyo state AG and all I understand about AGF is power drunk. There is a clear different btw Amatekun Edu and Almajiri Edu.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Zulum And Shettima Did Not Visit Abba Kyari - Aide Clarifies / Buhari Arrives Kaduna On A 2-Day Working Visit (Pictures) / FG Shortlists Bidders For 12 Highways In Lagos, Kano, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.