Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,230 members, 7,780,442 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:22 PM

One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died (4778 Views)

Cameroon Expels 3 Thousand Nigerians In Fight Against Boko Haram / Live Pictures From The APC One Million March4Buhari / Live Update Of Lagos One Million Match (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by doublekay: 2:18am On Dec 09, 2010
What Happened to about one million five hundred thousand Nigerians? What is the plight of mothers who lived to see their sons no more? children who till date have nobody to call father?

Or have we forgotten so fast the terrible event that took the life of our brothers roughly 40 years ago, The Nigerian biafran War as it is so called, had come and gone but the wound is still there and can not be forgotten.

Should we sweep the event under the carpet and forget it or is it worth remembring just like the americans remember there sept 11 terrorist attack
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by jason12345: 2:23am On Dec 09, 2010
so what do you want? for nigeria to remember a secessionist war? how many countries in the world do you see remembering a an unsuccessful secession? i humbly ask!
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by doublekay: 2:28am On Dec 09, 2010
TO my own thinking the government should create a date in honor of those that lost their lives and those that lost their loved ones cos the war wasnt a child's play. its true its unsuccessful but for Gods sake my brother peoples loved one lost their lives

for those that knows quite little about the war you can visit this link and understand why this war shouldnt just be allowed to go down time as just any other event       http://www.myinfobell.com/exclusive_naija_war.html
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by jason12345: 2:30am On Dec 09, 2010
doublekay:

TO my own thinking the government should create a date in honor of those that lost their lives and those that lost their loved ones cos the war wasnt a child's play. its true its unsuccessful but for Gods sake my brother peoples loved one lost their lives

for those that knows quite little about the war you can visit this link and understand why this war shouldnt just be allowed to go down time as just any other event       http://www.myinfobell.com/exclusive_naija_war.html

we all know that the war was not a joke but do you not think "the remembrance" would open old wounds?
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by Beaf: 2:31am On Dec 09, 2010
doublekay:

Supported. There should also be memorials built and the war imortalised in the school syllabus.
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by jason12345: 2:33am On Dec 09, 2010
Beaf:

Supported. There should also be memorials built and the war imortalised in the school syllabus.

for a secession war?
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by aljharem(m): 2:36am On Dec 09, 2010
jason12345:

for a secession war?

do u mind the mumu

so that 20 years later the younger generation would have built hate for there fellow nigerian and start another war which would be worse this time because of technology
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by HighChief4(m): 3:23am On Dec 09, 2010
It will not be a bad idea creating a date to honor the lives lost during the war. If actually we are one Nigeria I dont see anytin wrong in doing that
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by Beaf: 3:27am On Dec 09, 2010
High_Chief:

It will not be a bad idea creating a date to honor the lives lost during the war. If actually we are one Nigeria I dont see anytin wrong in doing that

It is a necessary thing to do to heal wounds.
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by doublekay: 6:24am On Dec 09, 2010
Creating a date to honor the fallen heroes will show love and reduce the tendency of another war
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by udezue(m): 6:55am On Dec 09, 2010
Hahaha it shows you the level of deep seated hatred btwn Nigerians. Jason has given no other reason other than secession war. May the Biafran tragedy befall ur entire nationality but let's be honest not 1 of will even be alive coz u are not even up to a million. Idiiot
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by Kobojunkie: 8:54am On Dec 09, 2010
udezue:

Hahaha it shows you the level of deep seated hatred btwn Nigerians. Jason has given no other reason other than secession war. May the Biafran tragedy befall your entire nationality but let's be honest not 1 of will even be alive coz u are not even up to a million. Idiiot

Problem with you and so many others is you are quick to insult but slow to thinking.

What @Jason asked there is a question that needs to be asked. Why should a government have a day of remembrance for a secessionist war? Why?
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by strangerf: 9:00am On Dec 09, 2010
grin
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by Nobody: 9:09am On Dec 09, 2010
!
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by strangerf: 9:24am On Dec 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Oo ni lati se gbogbo eyi ti'o n se nau. Obirin yen dagba ju e lo, ibo ni ibowofun [respect] e wa?
Abi se KoboJ wu e ni? Ko n se beyen l'oye ko ba obirin ti o feran soro.

Lol

point well taken

You know, I hold you in high esteem.

So thanks for beating some sense into me.
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by oderemo(m): 9:36am On Dec 09, 2010
@strangerf,
r u human @all? The argument has degenerated to u hunting someone down to chicago and despoil her. all 4 what''?
4all i care the biafra war was bitterly fought and they ,igbo ,lost.
Let them get over it.how many war did my forbearer fought, ijebu/ijesha war, kiriji war, ibadan /egba war etc.u know what, its all about independence aswell.
I think i need rem.day for them.
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by oludashmi(f): 9:41am On Dec 09, 2010
@OP
Caused by who?

jason12345:

so what do you want? for nigeria to remember a secessionist war? how many countries in the world do you see remembering a an unsuccessful secession? i humbly ask!
Gbam!
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by chyz(m): 10:49am On Dec 09, 2010
@ OP,

I agree
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by eldee(m): 10:56am On Dec 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Problem with you and so many others is you are quick to insult but slow to thinking.

What @Jason asked there is a question that needs to be asked. Why should a government have a day of remembrance for a secessionist war? Why?

1. Because the people who died are still Nigerians.
2. Because it is still part of our history, it's part of what affect every Nigerian today, and will still decide the opinions of Nigerians on issues.
3. Because a careful examination of those mistakes we made can serve as a reminder of how shedding blood is never the answer.
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by Mobinga: 11:34am On Dec 09, 2010
jason12345:

eldee:

2. Because it is still part of our history, it's part of what affect every Nigerian today, and will still decide the opinions of Nigerians on issues.
3. Because a careful examination of those mistakes we made can serve as a reminder of how shedding blood is never the answer.

Spot On, Mate
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by AlfaPrime: 11:59am On Dec 09, 2010
Couple of observations:
1. Over 8 million Biafrans/Nigerians died in the conflict(conservative estimates), as against the 1.5 million quoted by the OP.
2. The armed forces remembrance day serves as a day of national honour to those who paid the supreme sacrifice in that tragic war
3. There is already a national monument in their honour. The hallowed underground galleries of the National War Museum, Umuahia, Abia State remains a sacred ground where the war casualties (pictures displayed) are honoured. Try and visit the museum if you haven't.
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by jason12345: 4:55pm On Dec 09, 2010
udezue:

Hahaha it shows you the level of deep seated hatred btwn Nigerians. Jason has given no other reason other than secession war. May the Biafran tragedy befall your entire nationality but let's be honest not 1 of will even be alive coz u are not even up to a million. Idiiot

i do not have the time to insult. grow up and learn how to have a mature discussion! btw, what i said does not mean i hate igbos kiss

eldee:

i still think it would reopen old wound. i think the next generation would harbour hatred for nigeria and nigerians. for example, look at ordinary NL undecided people like ezeuche, matazzagi and co already hate nigeria because of the fairy tale story passed on to them by their fathers, then imagine 10 million of them harbouring the same level of hatred undecided. i believe it would also be devastating to the psyche of the young kids because we all know that kids in school might try to take the piss! i believe it would do more harm than good.imo
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by Omenani(m): 5:04pm On Dec 09, 2010
There needs to be memorials. The East has not forgotten. And the people who keep the Ndi Igbo from power, definitely have not forgotten.
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by eldee(m): 5:09pm On Dec 09, 2010
jason12345:

i still think it would reopen old wound. i think the next generation would harbour hatred for nigeria and nigerians. for example, look at ordinary NL undecided people like ezeuche, matazzagi and co already hate nigeria because of the fairy tale story passed on to them by their fathers, then imagine 10 million of them harbouring the same level of hatred undecided. i believe it would also be devastating to the psyche of the young kids because we all know that kids in school might try to take the piss! i believe it would do more harm than good.imo

The easiest way to stop the fairy tales is to tell the true story, not from the anti-Biafra perspective but from the Nigerian perspective.
War is the single most important event in many countries of the world, just because we're scared of it doesn't mean we shouldn't tell the story.

Not teaching it in school is robbing the future kids of their right to know our history, isn't that worse than the minor teasing they get??
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by jason12345: 5:17pm On Dec 09, 2010
eldee:

The easiest way to stop the fairy tales is to tell the true story, not from the anti-Biafra perspective but from the Nigerian perspective.
War is the single most important event in many countries of the world, just because we're scared of it doesn't mean we shouldn't tell the story.

Not teaching it in school is robbing the future kids of their right to know our history, isn't that worse than the minor teasing they get??

okay, i get what you mean. but how is possible to tell the kids about the history of the war without it perceived as anti-biafra? when you tell them and they go home to ask their parents who would tell them a different story, what do you then say? that their parents are lying or the teachers are lying? the issue is very sensitive and i do not think teaching kids would help undecided but i may be wrong.
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by Kobojunkie: 5:46pm On Dec 09, 2010
Omenani:

There needs to be memorials. The East has not forgotten. And the people who keep the Ndi Igbo from power, definitely have not forgotten.
see below . . .
AlfaPrime:

Couple of observations:
1. Over 8 million Biafrans/Nigerians died in the conflict(conservative estimates), as against the 1.5 million quoted by the OP.
2. The armed forces remembrance day serves as a day of national honour to those who paid the supreme sacrifice in that tragic war
3. There is already a national monument in their honour. The hallowed underground galleries of the National War Museum, Umuahia, Abia State remains a sacred ground where the war casualties (pictures displayed) are honoured. Try and visit the museum if you haven't.
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by chosen6(f): 6:00pm On Dec 09, 2010
jason12345:

Was the bolded written by a grown up?
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by chosen6(f): 6:04pm On Dec 09, 2010
CORRECTION @POSTER

The title of your thread should have read:: ONE MILLION FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND NIGERIANS & BIAFRANS DIED. . . . . . . . . . . .COS most of those that died on Biafran part died as Biafrans and will never be Nigerians even till the end of the world.
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by aljharem(m): 6:12pm On Dec 09, 2010
chosen_04:

Was the bolded written by a grown up?

mumu angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by eldee(m): 6:12pm On Dec 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

see below  . . .

So if you knew that, why did you say this
Kobojunkie:

??
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by aljharem(m): 6:13pm On Dec 09, 2010
chosen_04:

CORRECTION @POSTER

The title of your thread should have read:: ONE MILLION FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND NIGERIANS & BIAFRANS DIED. . . . . . . . . . . .COS most of those that died on Biafran part died as Biafrans and will never be Nigerians even till the end of the world.

and that is why they do not need to be remembered in nigeria angry angry angry angry but may be enugu angry angry
Re: One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died by Kobojunkie: 6:31pm On Dec 09, 2010
overwrote mistakenly

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Be / Meet The World’s Youngest Female Billionaire;a College Dropout / Why Do They Use Outdated Pictures Of Buhari In His Posters? (current Face Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.