Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,436 members, 7,781,273 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:36 AM

Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous (1354 Views)

Did Judas Iscariot Betray Jesus Or Help Him Fulfill The Scripture? / Who Died . Jesus Or His Body ?? / Man Orders Boss To Sign Document In The Name Of Jesus Or He Dies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jan 25, 2020
Morals are built into us as human beings, we know right from wrong because it is programmed into our DNA. It is our choice to do bad or good and each choice we make , makes it easier the next time to repeat the same decision, i.e evil decisions leads to more evil while good decisions lead to more good.

Nobody needs Jesus or Religion to be GOOD or remain BAD.

Its a matter of CHOICE !!

7 Likes

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by Ladylite: 1:58pm On Jan 25, 2020
frosbel2:
Morals are built into us as human beings, we know right from wrong because it is programmed into our DNA. It is our choice to do bad or good and each choice we make makes it easier the next time to repeat the same decision, i.e evil decisions leads to more evil while good decisions lead to more good.

Did you choose to be born by your parents? If NO then this post means you chose to deliberately be stewpid in 2020.

Kontinue... When you die, I hope you make your choice else e go shock you ehn...

1 Like

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by 1Dray(m): 2:01pm On Jan 25, 2020
frosbel2:
Morals are built into us as human beings, we know right from wrong because it is programmed into our DNA. It is our choice to do bad or good and each choice we make makes it easier the next time to repeat the same decision, i.e evil decisions leads to more evil while good decisions lead to more good.

Wow! Apostasy can be a funny state. I never believed it existed way back when it was taught. Now I believe it, it can have a devastating impact on someone. Too bad.
Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jan 25, 2020
Ladylite:

Did you choose to be born by your parents? If NO then this post means you chose to deliberately be stewpid in 2020.

Kontinue... When you die, I hope you make your choice else e go shock you ehn...

God himself built morals into our DNA, we make the choices.....and get rewarded for our decisions. Nothing to do with your WHITE MYTHICAL JESUS or HESUS, lol.

Also, thanks for your 'CHRIST-LIKE' response. He will be very proud of you.

9 Likes

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jan 25, 2020
1Dray:
Wow! Apostasy can be a funny state. I never believed it existed way back when it was taught. Now I believe it, it can have a devastating impact on someone. Too bad.

Apostasy is a funny state, we have Islamic apostates, Christian apostates, Hindu apostates and even atheist apostates wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by 1Dray(m): 2:11pm On Jan 25, 2020
frosbel2:

Apostasy is a funny state, we have Islamic apostates, Christian apostates, Hindu apostates and even atheist apostates wink

LOL... And you're? My point is, you and I know which of the above option you're. I pray there's hope in this state.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by budaatum: 2:16pm On Jan 25, 2020
frosbel2:
Morals are built into us as human beings, we know right from wrong because it is programmed into our DNA.
No they are not! Morals do not have to be from religion, but it definitely is not "built into us as human beings" nor "programmed into our DNA"!

You learn morals from somewhere, be it parents, environment, social engagements, experience, etc. If morals are built into your DNA, then some Builder must have built it there.

2 Likes

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jan 25, 2020
budaatum:

No they are not! Morals do not have to be from religion, but it definitely is not "built into us as human beings" nor "programmed into our DNA"!

You learn morals from somewhere, be it parents, environment, social engagements, experience, etc. If morals are built into your DNA, then some Builder must have built it there.

In retrospect , as an addition , i.e morals inbuilt into our DNA as the basics of right and wrong and parental/environmental/experience factors.

Even killers will tell you that there was a time their conscience got nudged to avoid murder and they wrestled with it for while and in the end chose to ignore it. So its a combination of my earlier statement and your later contribution. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by CAPSLOCKED: 2:22pm On Jan 25, 2020
Ladylite:

this is the most unreasonable, childish response I've ever seen in my life.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by budaatum: 2:22pm On Jan 25, 2020
frosbel2:

In retrospect , as an addition , i.e morals inbuilt into our DNA as the basics of right and wrong and parental/environmental/experience factors.
Your "inbuilt into our DNA" is you not being completely honest, unless you mean 'built by being taught the basics of right and wrong by parental/environmental/experience factors'.

DNA has absolutely nothing to do with one's morals. Everyone you inherit DNA from can be immoral and you can still turn out a saint.

2 Likes

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jan 25, 2020
budaatum:

Your "inbuilt into our DNA" is you not being completely honest, unless you mean 'built by being taught the basics of by right and wrong by parental/environmental/experience factors'.

DNA has absolutely nothing to do with one's morals. Everyone you inherit DNA from can be immoral and you can still turn out a saint.

Everyone who is born is given a clean slate to make the right or wrong choices , we have this ability to decipher between bad and good built into us , it is a FACT. That certain individuals in our family tree decide to go against nature , does not negate the fact that they had a choice between good and evil.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 25, 2020
GOD has no Religion. It is a fact.

2 Likes

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by budaatum: 2:32pm On Jan 25, 2020
Please note that I agree that Jesus Or Religion does not make one morally righteous. The evidence alone agrees with this. But many do need to be religiously taught (repeatedly and continously) to know what morals are, be it the moral code of Ogun, Sango, Jesus or Allah. Righteousness, however, is in the beholder god's eye, unless you mean 'righteousness by self-certification'. You might understand what I mean if I claim to be righteous. Many will likely shoot me down.

P.s. Where have you been? Your absences lower the grade of discourse! angry
Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by MrPresident1: 2:34pm On Jan 25, 2020
frosbel2:
Morals are built into us as human beings, we know right from wrong because it is programmed into our DNA. It is our choice to do bad or good and each choice we make , makes it easier the next time to repeat the same decision, i.e evil decisions leads to more evil while good decisions lead to more good.

Pray to God always and try to do his pleasure all the time. He will continue to guide you.

I agree with you that right and wrong is coded into our DNA, the Bible tells us this

Romans 2:14
14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

There are people who by NATURE who do the things contained in the law. It is coded in their DNA and could be nurtured by parenting and environment

1 Like

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by budaatum: 2:36pm On Jan 25, 2020
frosbel2:

Everyone who is born is given a clean slate to make the right or wrong choices , we have this ability to decipher between bad and good built into us.
No we do not have any such ability! Quite a lot is invested in teaching this ability into our clean state (by 'clean', you mean, 'blank', I hope), starting with our parents who spend a lot of love and effort teaching and building right and wrong into us.
Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by MrPresident1: 2:37pm On Jan 25, 2020
budaatum:

No we do not have any such ability! Quite a lot is invested in teaching this ability into our clean state (by 'clean', you mean, 'blank', I hope), starting with our parents who spend a lot of love and effort teaching and building right and wrong into us.

Even wild animals in the forests have a sense of right and wrong, talk less of human beings
Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jan 25, 2020
budaatum:

On the contrary, even irreligious kids know right from wrong irrespective of what their parents teach them. Kids of drug addicts, criminals etc , go on to choose alternative more upright behaviour , despite the wrong things they learnt from their parents and despite growing up in a toxic envinroment .

Before the introduction of these foreign religions, we knew right from wrong and were in fact more morally upright that 99% of religious people living today. Furthermore, from personal experience as a kid, there were many things I never learnt from my parents but knew were wrong and avoided them .

Man and Woman are born with the ability to decipher right from wrong and vice versa - fact !

2 Likes

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by DoctorAlien(m): 3:02pm On Jan 25, 2020
frosbel2:
Morals
Please what is "moral"? According to which universal standard is this determined?

are built into us as human beings, we know right from wrong because it is programmed into our DNA.
Nonsense. Which part of the DNA codes for "knowing right and wrong"? What is even right and what is wrong?

It is our choice to do bad or good
True. But the questions remains whether there is any reason why doing "good" should be chosen in a Godless universe. Even worse than that is problem of knowing what "good" is in a Godless universe.

and each choice we make , makes it easier the next time to repeat the same decision, i.e evil decisions leads to more evil while good decisions lead to more good.
Surprisingly you decided to reference a well-known principle in the Bible here, i.e. that people become set in their character as they do more and more of either good or bad things. But in a universe without God, does "good" and "bad" have meaning? Do they matter anything?

Please who defines what is good and what is bad?

Yes. Choice/freewill is a very big part of God's relationship with man. You're even exercising your own freewill by choosing to deny God. However, none of us is free from the consequences of the choices which we freely made.

1 Like

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by MrPresident1: 3:14pm On Jan 25, 2020
DoctorAlien:

Please what is "moral"? According to which universal standard is this determined?

Nonsense. Which part of the DNA codes for "knowing right and wrong"? What is even right and what is wrong?

True. But the questions remains whether there is any reason why doing "good" should be chosen in a Godless universe. Even worse than that is problem of knowing what "good" is in a Godless universe.

Surprisingly you decided to reference a well-known principle in the Bible here, i.e. that people become set in their character as they do more and more of either good or bad things. But in a universe without God, does "good" and "bad" have meaning? Do they matter anything?

Please who defines what is good and what is bad?

Yes. Choice/freewill is a very big part of God's relationship with man. You're even exercising your own freewill by choosing to deny God. However, none of us is free from the consequences of the choices which we freely made.

Sickening questions guaranteed to start a long winding argument with no destination except to gas out its participants.

The point is proved, there are people who have no knowledge about God who do good by nature.

Nature means it is coded into their DNA. Which can further be nurtured by parents and environment.

Wild animals have a natural sense of right and wrong talk less of human beings!
Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by saxha: 3:22pm On Jan 25, 2020
The real question is, what is righteousness? Is there an absolute definition or subjective one?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by desmond2pk: 3:23pm On Jan 25, 2020
Go and tell muslim boko haram that beheading a christian is wrong.
Which god put moral in your dna?
Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by budaatum: 3:40pm On Jan 25, 2020
frosbel2:

On the contrary, even irreligious kids know right from wrong irrespective of what their parents teach them. Kids of drug addicts, criminals etc , go on to choose alternative more upright behaviour , despite the wrong things they learnt from their parents and despite growing up in a toxic envinroment .

Before the introduction of these foreign religions, we knew right from wrong and were in fact more morally upright that 99% of religious people living today. Furthermore, from personal experience as a kid, there were many things I never learnt from my parents but knew were wrong and avoided them .

Man and Woman are born with the ability to decipher right from wrong and vice versa - fact !
As I said, we are taught the basics of right and wrong by our parents, environmental, experience etc. Some parents may use their religion to teach it. And some of us learn by not following the (wrong) teachings and examples of our parents.

The fact that you don't know where you learnt it, probably because you were too young, does not negate this fact. I can assure you that if you were born in a jungle amongst animals you'd either kill or die.

P.s. I think your focus, as usual, is against foreign religions. Note I mentioned Sango and Ogun, which are religions that are not foreign, and through which morals were taught. In Yorubaland we religiously wrote those morals on our faces as you can see on mine which says "be an ọmọluabi”. It is so I do not ever forget.

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by DoctorAlien(m): 3:53pm On Jan 25, 2020
MrPresident1:

Sickening questions guaranteed to start a long winding argument with no destination except to gas out its participants.
Nope. Instead they are pertinent questions naturally raised by the assertions he made.

The point is proved, there are people who have no knowledge about God who do good by nature.
There may well be people like that but that is not really the issue. The issue is this, can the concept of universal "good" exist without God?

Another issue raised by this is the definition of "having no knowledge of God". Does it mean, for example, having never read the Bible before? I would not really agree. Indeed there are people who live their whole life without being able to read. Yet such people are not exempt from God's judgment. We Christians believe that God implanted some form of moral compass in the human conscience, such that there is some perception of the difference between right and wrong naturally in humans, no matter how darkened by our fallen state this moral compass is. That is why apostle Paul talked about some people having their conscience seared with hot iron. For conscience to be so marred that it can be described as having been seared with hot iron, it must have started out in some form of good state.

Nature means it is coded into their DNA. Which can further be nurtured by parents and environment.
Which part of the DNA codes for "knowing right and wrong"? What is right? And what is wrong?

Wild animals have a natural sense of right and wrong talk less of human beings!

What is right? What is wrong? Who defines it?
Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jan 25, 2020
frosbel2:
Morals are built into us as human beings, we know right from wrong because it is programmed into our DNA.
I doubt this.
Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jan 25, 2020
budaatum:

I agree with this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by OkCornel(m): 5:04pm On Jan 25, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

You typed in lowercase shocked
Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by budaatum: 5:27pm On Jan 25, 2020
MrPresident1:

Even wild animals in the forests have a sense of right and wrong, talk less of human beings
This must be why lions in the wild don't kill and eat lambs. They must know it is not moral to kill and eat lambs.

Funny how some lions learn to be immoral and eat lambs though.

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by 1Dray(m): 5:33pm On Jan 25, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

Just wondering aloud, how come the Caps are not locked at this time?
Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by malvisguy212: 10:15pm On Jan 25, 2020
frosbel2:

do you think the ten commandments is the Choices of 10 men ? its a matter of choice ? Why is the choices of many superior to the choices of a few? A choice may be unpopular, but that does not make it any less valid
than the choices that are shared by many. Many ancient societies saw no problem with practicing human sacrifices. If we follow this philosophy and say that morality is determined by the majority in society, then we must acknowledge that at one time human sacrifice was morally right. frosbel , you are something els. hatred run in your vain. your rebellion can last for long but it will not last forever .
Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by An2elect2(f): 12:24am On Jan 26, 2020
I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain. Galatians 2:20

2 Likes

Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by Amujale(m): 1:38am On Jan 26, 2020
Nobdy needs Jesus to becomes righteous!?

Righteous? What is the meaning of Righteous.

Rigteousness doesnt help anyone other than the Church, Virtuosness on the other hand is what helps the world.

Seek to achieve virtuosness and NOT righteouness.

Righteous is what Roman military commanders are allowed to become.

Virtue is what ethics and morality is all about and never Righteousness.

The first problem with Righteousness is in its association with the terminology 'sin'.

The premise of the term 'sin' is false therefore righteousness itself is a false conception.

Dont conflate 'virtuosness' with 'righteousness'.

Nobody needs to follow Arabian and Roman fictitious character in order to achieve virtuousness.
Re: Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous by Amujale(m): 2:11am On Jan 26, 2020
malvisguy212:
do you think the ten commandments is the Choices of 10 men ?

Great point, would further add that the ten commandments arent original to the Christian Bible.

This are some of the direct copying of African intellectual property partaken by the Greeks and the Romans of olden days Europe.

These ten commandments were copied from the Fourty - Two Laws of Ma-aT, a KM.Tic philosophical, ethical and moral standard that existed thousands of years before the Roman invention of the Christian Bible.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is Apostasy? / Global Crusade With Kumuyi - Triumphant Power Comes To Ondo City / Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.