Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,776 members, 7,798,589 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:48 AM

Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo (55731 Views)

Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education / Angelique Kidjo Dedicates Her 2020 Grammy Award To Burna Boy (Video) / 2020 Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Reacts After Being Nominated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by GreetMe(m): 1:31am On Jan 27, 2020
Angelique Kidjo has won Best World Music Album for Celia at the 62nd GRAMMY Awards. This marks her fourth win in the category and fourth GRAMMY win overall.

Angelique Kidjo beat out fellow nominees Altin Gün (Gece), Bokanté & Metropole Orkest Conducted By Jules Buckley (What Heat), Burna Boy (African Giant) and Nathalie Joachim With Spektral Quartet (Fanm D'Ayiti).
https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/angelique-kidjo-wins-best-world-music-album-celia-2020-grammys

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by GreetMe(m): 1:35am On Jan 27, 2020
GreetMe:
Angelique Kidjo has won Best World Music Album for Celia at the 62nd GRAMMY Awards. This marks her fourth win in the category and fourth GRAMMY win overall.

Angelique Kidjo beat out fellow nominees Altin Gün (Gece), Bokanté & Metropole Orkest Conducted By Jules Buckley (What Heat), Burna Boy (African Giant) and Nathalie Joachim With Spektral Quartet (Fanm D'Ayiti).

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/angelique-kidjo-wins-best-world-music-album-celia-2020-grammys

Watch her speech here

cc; Lalasticlala, Mynd44, Seun, Fynestboi, MissyB3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rySNpgvMQAo

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by destaro(m): 1:42am On Jan 27, 2020
Congrats to her...

Burna we are proud of you, being nominated is a big deal. #africangiant

297 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by GreetMe(m): 1:44am On Jan 27, 2020
destaro:
Congrats to her...

Burna we are proud of you, being nominated is a big deal. #africangiant

But the thing pain me sha...I no go lie grin

179 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by dayveed1(m): 1:48am On Jan 27, 2020
Congrats.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by LOMBARDY(m): 1:49am On Jan 27, 2020
When Nigerians see Angelique Kidjo on the road undecided

243 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Mrcandlewood(m): 1:53am On Jan 27, 2020
Who her "Burna boy dedication" speech help? angry

This just made Kobe's death more painful.

Angelique carry your award dey go oo no make me vex

202 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by taylor89(m): 2:00am On Jan 27, 2020
I'm happy Burna Boy Lost

Burna is a fellow Rivers Man but you'll never see him come out straight to boast or be proud of his state of origin

He will never win a Grammy

41 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by NwaAmaikpe: 2:15am On Jan 27, 2020
shocked

A well deserved win to Kidjo.
The content of her songs are out of this world. She is a mix of Maya Angelou and Miriam Makeba.

Music lovers and genuine content critics like myself would have given up on the credibility and essence of the Grammy Awards if another undeserving artiste had won this.

Sentiments aside, Nigeria is yet to replicate another Fela Kuti in the global music sphere.

Fela is the only Nigerian deserving of a Grammy.
Because music is not about dancesteps or groupie trends but about a movement, a message, reawakening a consciousness and yet the melody from real musical instruments.
This is a reality lost on today's Nigerian artistes aside from Asá who still lacks in consistency.

As an African act, till your music can be accepted by Pastors, Imams, Youths, elders, global leaders, United Nations and illiterates, then you stand a chance of being an African Album or winning a foreign award in Music.

Nigeria and Nigerians must understand that club bangers do not translate to foreign awards in global music.

875 Likes 95 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Ishilove: 3:42am On Jan 27, 2020
NwaAmaikpe:

The content of her songs are out of this world. She is a mix of Maya Angelou and Miriam Makeba.

Music lovers and genuine content critics like myself would have given up on the credibility and essence of the Grammy Awards if another undeserving artiste had won this.

Sentiments aside, Nigeria is yet to replicate another Fela Kuti in the global music sphere.

Because music is not about dancesteps or groupie trends but about a movement, a message, reawakening a consciousness and yet the melody.
This is a reality lost on today's Nigerian artistes aside from Asa who lacks in consistency.

Till your music can be accepted by Pastors, Imams, Youths, elders, global leaders, United Nations and illiterates, then you stand a chance of being an African Album or winning a foreign award in Music.

Nigeria and Nigerians must understand that club bangers do not translate to foreign awards in global music.
You have spoken with wisdom.

Are you minding Nigerians? The majority of people supporting Burna Boy did so based on sentiments, something which the selecting board is mercifully free from.

I know a lot of people will strongly disagree but Burna still has a long way to go before he can win an award as prestigious as a Grammy. As I mentioned previously on another thread, Angelique is light years ahead of Burna Boy.

Anyway, getting a nomination in the first place is a big deal so he may well be on his way.

345 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by QuietHammer(m): 4:15am On Jan 27, 2020
As a top member of this forum, I say congratulations to her.

13 Likes

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Niyi9002(m): 4:28am On Jan 27, 2020
Kidjo is a true legend. I remember her 'Agolo' song back then. She makes wonderful songs. Congrats to her kiss

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by GreetMe(m): 4:57am On Jan 27, 2020
Ishilove:

You have spoken with wisdom.

Are you minding Nigerians? The majority of people supporting Burna Boy did so based on sentiments, something which the selecting board is mercifully free from.

I know a lot of people will strongly disagree but Burna still has a long way to go before he can win an award as prestigious as a Grammy. As I mentioned previously, Angelique is light years ahead of Burna Boy.

Anyway, getting a nomination in the first place is a big deal so he may well be on his way.

Just found out she sang that Lion King "We are one" wow! shocked

My fellow Burnabarians, my mouth aff closed lipsrsealed

204 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by sgtponzihater1(m): 5:04am On Jan 27, 2020
Dangote still dey find money

22 Likes

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Sanchez01: 5:20am On Jan 27, 2020
Burna Boy stood no chance the moment he was paired with Kidjo. There is something about her and her songs that are not just deep hut philosophical. But then, that isn't the essence of the category. The Grammy album of the year puts certain factors into account and that includes technical proficiency and overall excellence in the recording industry, without regard to album sales, chart position, or critical reception.

If it were to be by the latter, Burna might have won because the African Giant album grossed quite well and had impressive reviews from crazy critics. Congratulations to Mama Kidjo.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by olaboy33(m): 5:22am On Jan 27, 2020
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Because music is not about dancesteps or groupie trends but about a movement, a message, reawakening a consciousness and yet the melody.
This is a reality lost on today's Nigerian artistes aside from Asa who lacks in consistency.

Till your music can be accepted by Pastors, Imams, Youths, elders, global leaders, United Nations and illiterates, then you stand a chance of being an African Album or winning a foreign award in Music.

Greatness begets greatness

I remember far back in 2013 when Angelique kidjo featured Asa in her melodious album 'Eva' which celebrated the pride, strength, and smile that masks everyday troubles faced by African women.

The album had a wide array of African languages, Fon, Yoruba, Goun, Mina etc

Asa also is doing greatly in her own way and she still very much portrays the Yoruba culture to France and the world. Her recent Album 'Lucid' has a good blend of fine sounds that carries messages.
'Happy People' which celebrates the resilient nature of Nigerian women irrespective of odds is one of my favorite.

Congratulations to both Angelique and Burna boy, they both are African giants.

103 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Sanchez01: 5:31am On Jan 27, 2020
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This is wrong. Beyoncé, Eminem, MJ's 'Thriller', Taylor Swift's '1989', and even Jay Z have all won the Grammy Album of the year award.

Most of the songs on their albums are club bangers, and widely accepted by younger generations. I can't imagine any of Jay Z's, and Eminem songs that will will be accepted by religious leaders.

Most educated folks don't even understand Eminem's raps because he is always dissing the world and lacing his materials with double and triple entendres.

The category is much more beyond acceptability and the class or category of people your album resonate with. Kidjo will still return and win another next year as always.

Modified

To those quoting and 'correcting' me about Beyoncé, Em, Jay Z et al, about not winning the world album of the year. NOTE THST I DIDN'T MENTION THE WORLD ALBUM OF THE YEAR BUT ALBUM OF THE YEAR. The criteria remains the same for both while the reach is the only difference.

I cited them as winners of similar categories with club bangers as a response to the fellow who stated that your album must appeal to clerics, religious bodies and the UN to win the category.

92 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by boolet: 6:05am On Jan 27, 2020
Good job Burna
Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Nobody: 6:05am On Jan 27, 2020
undecided

Truth be told. More than half of those screaming Burna boy name don't know who Kidjo is.

Congratulations ma! Na person wey get content be that.

No be aji aji aji.. grin

88 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by johnmattew: 6:06am On Jan 27, 2020
Grammy awards aren't meant for mediocres... Angelique kidjo will always win that award..... she remains the Lionel Messi of Africa music

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Gepheral: 6:06am On Jan 27, 2020
He did us proud regardless! She dedicating the award to him speaks volume

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Nobody: 6:08am On Jan 27, 2020
That was my fear. Because Angelique had a superb 2019. And have the experience in clinching the Grammy's. But we all are proud of you burna , you are a true African Giant. I know you would be nominated again.

13 Likes

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by BitcoinsMonitor(f): 6:08am On Jan 27, 2020
2Face, Dbanj, Wizkid, Davido and other Nigerian artists will be very happy he isn't the first Nigerian to win it...don't look at me like that, it's just the truth...forget that they will go public to be sympathetic (na lie e no reach their Belle)

Hypocrisy is part of our DNA... Aren't we Nigerians just mysterious?

179 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Petersamuel8(m): 6:08am On Jan 27, 2020
Too bad

3 Likes

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by oluwatosink: 6:08am On Jan 27, 2020
Burna is still African best. He tried in his own album.

He should keep pushing and keep working hard..

One day one Nigerian artiste go win that Grammy Award.

19 Likes

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by WowSweetGuy(m): 6:09am On Jan 27, 2020
I knew it...
Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Subonbon(m): 6:09am On Jan 27, 2020
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

bro you are on point

16 Likes

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Difrent: 6:09am On Jan 27, 2020
She and Burna boy no be mate now, well deserved

12 Likes

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by enitey(f): 6:09am On Jan 27, 2020
Oh No
Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by jneutron4000: 6:10am On Jan 27, 2020
LOMBARDY:
When Nigerians see Angelique Kidjo on the road undecided
You no know say Angelique kidjo na Yoruba extract too. We would not give her the middle finger Never

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Nobody: 6:10am On Jan 27, 2020
I saw it coming, burnaboy is too small to defeat this woman. Burna you'll definitely get there someday.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by 7pages(m): 6:10am On Jan 27, 2020
Better days ahead Oluwaburna

Please check my SIG

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Zazoo Crooner, Portable Poses In Suit / Nigerians Blast Blac Chyna For Dating Teenagers, Call Her 'Sexual Predator' / Kemi Adetiba Entices Anthony Joshua After Amir Khan Saga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.