Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,896 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo (55739 Views)

Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education / Angelique Kidjo Dedicates Her 2020 Grammy Award To Burna Boy (Video) / 2020 Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Reacts After Being Nominated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Emilokoiyawon: 6:55am On Jan 27, 2020
LOMBARDY:
When Nigerians see Angelique Kidjo on the road undecided

Many of you don't know Angelique Kidjo's parents are Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by otokx(m): 6:55am On Jan 27, 2020
Roon9:

She has tons of songs that have been used as soundtrack in many blockbuster movies. Tbh Burna stood no chance

Some let me not say many Nigerians are champions in self deception.

2 Likes

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by johnmattew: 6:56am On Jan 27, 2020
colestephan86:

I knew from the start that burna was really going to struggle with this woman on the list.so far I think the only musician that can match up with this woman is 2 Baba.
2 Baba ke?...are u joking?..ass is the only naija star that is close.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by djbussy(m): 6:57am On Jan 27, 2020
Pele wins over C.ronaldo. politics Sha! In this Grammy Awards, an old generation legend of music was used to kickout out new generation when it comes to Africa, but as for America, they encourage new generation artist by making them win. @burnaboy @Grammys #GRAMMYAwards2020 #GRAMMYLive

1 Like

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Nobody: 6:58am On Jan 27, 2020
Sanchez01:
Burna Boy stood no chance the moment he was paired with Kidjo. There is something about her and her songs that are not just deep hut philosophical. But then, that isn't the essence of the category. The Grammy album of the year puts certain factors into account and that includes technical proficiency and overall excellence in the recording industry, without regard to album sales, chart position, or critical reception.

If it were to be by the latter, Burna might have won because the African Giant album grossed quite well and had impressive reviews from crazy critics. Congratulations to Mama Kidjo.
very indepth analysis, kudos!
Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by colestephan86: 7:01am On Jan 27, 2020
WarriAproko:
2baba nor near. Asa is the only one. Raw content not yr music go dey go up dey come down with quack voice
You might be right o,
This Angelique kidjo is a thousand years ahead of burna o.
Just listened to one of her songs "sedjedo" I was blown away by the crazy mixture of sound and percussion in the song.
And I am beginning to think that the only way any Nigerian can come home with a Grammy is only when he or she has successfully made beautiful music out of our culture .
Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by DSoj(m): 7:02am On Jan 27, 2020
I knew Burna wouldn't win it but if i had said it, they'll say hater.
Grammy is not about Gbe body... its about Global message. Those people will look at an Angelique Kidjo that appeals to them more as an established act.

Burna will appeal to us young fellas in the club.
Angelique Kidjo will appeal to the people that control the world system!

We still love our Burna... put Naija on the global map again! African Giant

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Nobody: 7:03am On Jan 27, 2020
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

A well deserved win to Kidjo.
The content of her songs are out of this world. She is a mix of Maya Angelou and Miriam Makeba.

Music lovers and genuine content critics like myself would have given up on the credibility and essence of the Grammy Awards if another undeserving artiste had won this.

Sentiments aside, Nigeria is yet to replicate another Fela Kuti in the global music sphere.
Fela is the only Nigerian deserving of a Grammy.

Because music is not about dancesteps or groupie trends but about a movement, a message, reawakening a consciousness and yet the melody.
This is a reality lost on today's Nigerian artistes aside from Asa who lacks in consistency.

Till your music can be accepted by Pastors, Imams, Youths, elders, global leaders, United Nations and illiterates, then you stand a chance of being an African Album or winning a foreign award in Music.

Nigeria and Nigerians must understand that club bangers do not translate to foreign awards in global music.
I'm with you on this...she's still part of us anyway, a proudly african woman and a bennenios of yoruba descent. Congrats to her and congrats to oluwaburner too. It's not easy to earn a nomination

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Kingrefreshed: 7:03am On Jan 27, 2020
GreetMe:
https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/angelique-kidjo-wins-best-world-music-album-celia-2020-grammys

Nigerians and hypocrisy!!! Tufiakwa!!!! Now everyone is happy that she won because her music is better. God forbid. I don't know why I am here as a a Nigerian!

Nigerians can abandon you with the speed of light in your darkest hour!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by miniziter(m): 7:04am On Jan 27, 2020
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

The content of her songs are out of this world. She is a mix of Maya Angelou and Miriam Makeba.

Music lovers and genuine content critics like myself would have given up on the credibility and essence of the Grammy Awards if another undeserving artiste had won this.

Sentiments aside, Nigeria is yet to replicate another Fela Kuti in the global music sphere.

Because music is not about dancesteps or groupie trends but about a movement, a message, reawakening a consciousness and yet the melody.
This is a reality lost on today's Nigerian artistes aside from Asa who lacks in consistency.

Till your music can be accepted by Pastors, Imams, Youths, elders, global leaders, United Nations and illiterates, then you stand a chance of being an African Album or winning a foreign award in Music.

Nigeria and Nigerians must understand that club bangers do not translate to foreign awards in global music.

Please did Fela win the Grammy?
Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by machiavelli95: 7:05am On Jan 27, 2020
deebrain:
Now watch the attitude of Nigerians.

How they will now bring the hype of this great artist to the minimum.

I've always stood for Burna Boy right from the "Like to Party" song. Always giving us good music with originality.

I tell you, that song was the bomb for me. I just loved it.
Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by MartinsD12(m): 7:06am On Jan 27, 2020
taylor89:
I'm happy Burna Boy Lost

Burna is a fellow Rivers Man but you'll never see him come out straight to boast or be proud of his state of origin

He will never win a Grammy
Maybe he is not proud of rivers
Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by palsenator(m): 7:06am On Jan 27, 2020
taylor89:
I'm happy Burna Boy Lost

Burna is a fellow Rivers Man but you'll never see him come out straight to boast or be proud of his state of origin

He will never win a Grammy

You can never grow with this your hatred and bad energy. Obviously you are still a kid who does not understand the principles of life. But u will become a menace if you perhaps grow up like this.

4 Likes

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by jaxxy(m): 7:07am On Jan 27, 2020
To beat Angelique Kidjo or win a Grammy ur originality and style must be 200%

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by SavageResponse(m): 7:08am On Jan 27, 2020
This result is unacceptable to us!
Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by adeyemo001: 7:09am On Jan 27, 2020
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

God bless you. Nigerians with their entitlement mentality Smh. The fact say Americans nominate Nigerian man for their award show no mean say Nigerian man must win am. The grammy is an American award. 2pac never won it. Bob Marley didn't win it.

Everyone in the category deserves it. Did some people at least listen to the winner’s album? Angelique and Burna Boy in the same category he never stand a chance ...Some of us love Burna Boy's music but Kidjo is a legend and has been doing this long before Burna. Not just that! Her music is just too organic...

It wasn't a close at all Burna didn't have a chance against Kidjo the moment i saw her there i knew she was taking the award... was an easy win for her.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by fiercehillz(m): 7:09am On Jan 27, 2020
WarriAproko:
2baba nor near. Asa is the only one. Raw content not yr music go dey go up dey come down with quack voice

Na only 2baba fit do am bros...forget the too much talk
Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by soilsista(f): 7:09am On Jan 27, 2020
Yeyeyeyeye aha! cheesy grin
Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by machiavelli95: 7:09am On Jan 27, 2020
Afrocandym:

Fela here Fela there

What did Fela sing that we don't know?

I have never heard Fela song before,

All I know about Fela is... He's a weed smoker

Fela's songs are trash in my own opinion. He was just popular with Nigerians because he stood to oppose the military governmentand was very controversial building a large followers cult in the process. But musically, technically, even majek fashek is better. I can't stand fela's music for 20 mins.

8 Likes

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Emilokoiyawon: 7:13am On Jan 27, 2020
jneutron4000:
You no know say Angelique kidjo na Yoruba extract too. We would not give her the middle finger Never

She is not even an extract. She is 100% Yoruba blood. Listen to her say it herself. Start from 3 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGB8NsDdTjI&t=225s

4 Likes

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Vikynas: 7:14am On Jan 27, 2020
Who’s this one?
Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Masterpieceukpa(m): 7:15am On Jan 27, 2020
He lost to a legend no big deal

1 Like

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Emilokoiyawon: 7:15am On Jan 27, 2020
Thaheer:
Nigeria just lost a clear shot at the Grammies,
It sure can't get any closer than this..
Angelique just grew up in Benin. She is 100% Nigeria blood. Listen to her say it herself. Start from 3 mins

2 Likes

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by ominilongest(m): 7:16am On Jan 27, 2020
GreetMe:

Just found out she sang that Lion King "We are one" wow!
Issa lie?
Are u kidding shocked
Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by psalmuelwater(m): 7:17am On Jan 27, 2020
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Grammy would have make a mockery of its self, if burna had won. If the kutis(Fela,Femi, and Seun) couldn't win, despite multiple nomination, then it is safe to say burna shouldn't. He doesn't even come close. Beautiful Nubia gan sef is ahead of him

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by otokx(m): 7:17am On Jan 27, 2020
Apart from Fela, which other Nigerian can boast of music with a global appeal? Even our pastors are not finding it easy cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by mamapidgin: 7:17am On Jan 27, 2020
Kidjo is an original content creator, nothing like copy copy...
even Burnaboy first track on African Giant Album (Anybody) was copied from Angelique Kidjo song that she sang more than a decade ago.

Burna na boy where mama kidjo de..

And don't forget that this is the fourth Grammy Award for Angelique Kidjo she deserves the award

kidjo is a bundle of musical talent very original in all her things check out her dressing, is African, her music is African, she speaks 4 different indegious African languages.. She also speaks both english and French fluently..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Nobody: 7:18am On Jan 27, 2020
Monkeyprick:

I don't agree totally with you Captain, put away sentiment, Burna Boy should have won that category and for Kidjo to acknowledge that meant he was so deserving as well . He had more recognition in the whole of Africa this past year than any other musician .
What about 2face Idibia? He was Africa's best at a time, his globally acclaimed African Queen was even sampled in a Hollywood movie.
If you say music is not about groupie trends , then the likes of Lady Gaga shouldn't have walk through that stage in admiration.
Have you listened to any of anti Angelique's music? The one babalawo was super and my favourite. the sound track was adopted globally at a time. Her music always conveys powerful messages, full of energy. Don't also forget she's been singing for years before gaining relevance and winning Grammy. Her music appeals to every category of people. Burna has been gaining recognition already. He should just work harder. He's a potential winner, chidima Ekile too but the lady has suddenly disappeared from music scene. Hardwork and continuity pay in everything not all the shouts here and there like our boys back home cos ariwo koni music. . I congratulate Burma for the nomination and anti Angelique omo yoruba atata ni kutonu for another win. We're all Africans.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by machiavelli95: 7:19am On Jan 27, 2020
irunoko:
indomie generation child.theyre not hard to spot.always childish, ignorant and very lousy
he is saying the truth. The fact that fela was a voice against the oppressive military regime making him a cult hero doesn't mean he was a technically gifted singer. Not everything is about message, the technical talent matters too, exquisite production, vocals, variety. What message does Kanye west songs, Eminem songs, Mariah Carey's songs pass? Yet they have Grammy's because of technically sound music and vocal productions.
So of I wake up one morning and start singing and criticizing the government, I am automatically fit for a Grammy? If so why dies falz not have a grammy?.
By the way, let's stop deceiving ourselves, socially conscious music won't do such to help Nigeria, the artistes will just get popular and that's all.But it changes nothing about the Nigeria psyche and mentality which is the root of it all.
Nigerians applaud mediocrity and have a crowd mentality like nursery school children.
Fela is a legend, iffa hear. Say he was an activist, but technically he is trash.
Even burna boy is better than him by far technically. Let's call a spade a spade.

2 Likes

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by 1x2x3: 7:19am On Jan 27, 2020
Ayoslimzy:
My baby(kofee) sha won a Grammy award

She should straight outta box grin grin. She's too good.

1 Like

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Emilokoiyawon: 7:19am On Jan 27, 2020
Sewgon79:

She is also Nigerian thru maternal. Her father is from Benin and mother from Ibadan. She said it in one of her interviews.

She is 100% Yoruba blood. Her father is Iseyin. Her mother is Abeokuta. Listen to her say it herself. Start from 3 mins

Re: Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Loses To Angelique Kidjo by Dagrace01(m): 7:19am On Jan 27, 2020
Kidjo deserved it in all the ramifications.
E pain me Sha, I no go lie.
Oluwaburna ur time will surely come.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Kim Oprah & Her Secondary School Teacher: Throwback Vs Recent Photos / Mercy Aigbe & Husband Cuddle In New Photo / Rita Dominic Reacts To Oba Akiolu's Threat To Igbos In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.