Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,162 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:56 AM

Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? (29791 Views)

What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? / IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 11:09am On Jan 28, 2020
Hello Nairalanders

This issue has been bothering me for a while now......I had this friend who during our school days was so brilliant,in fact this friend of mine wrote his common entrance at primary 4....at jss1 he wrote his junior WAEC....

Back them we nickname him The "guru"....There was no time I visited him at home,that I wouldn't see him reading,this guy can read from morning till night.....though I was irritated with his attitude but I kept on admiring him because there is nothing in this world that this guy don't know....there is no words in the dictionary that is new to him... he was respected among our peers.....

Suddenly, he was no longer communicating with us with plain English,any small question will always be meant with grammar.. In fact this guy will go to the market to buy something and will begin to communicate with the market people with grammar...they we just be looking at him like a madman...

Then,one fateful day according to his mother,he ran out with a dictionary screaming "loquacious"all effort to calm him was in vain
the guy is in the asylum right now.....

This episode has left me confuse.....expert in the house can you help me out.....

CAN A PERSON LOSE HIS SANITY DUE TO EXCESSIVE READING??

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ipobarethieves: 11:19am On Jan 28, 2020
sad angry sad NONSENSE undecided sad .

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 11:30am On Jan 28, 2020
ipobarethieves:

I'm really serious about it...in fact whenever I'm reading and my head aches....I stop immediately.

74 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by SUPERPACK: 11:32am On Jan 28, 2020
Some people have been genetically predisposed to schizophrenia, this mental condition can be triggered by various factors such as marijuana, excessive excitement, drug abuse or over working the brain (over reading, thinking, stress)

202 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 11:36am On Jan 28, 2020
SUPERPACK:
Some people have been genetically predisposed to schizophrenia, this mental condition can be triggered by various factors such as marijuana, excessive excitement, drug abuse or over working the brain (over reading, thinking, stress)

Thanks sir...but this guys doesn't take drugs or marijuana...

13 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Nobody: 11:38am On Jan 28, 2020
From your topics.... You sef Don dey mental

Modified. ...
In my days in Futa people ran mad during exams. We attributed it to excessive reading. But alas research made us know that they had other problems.
Reading cannot make you mad. Although I fit dey quote formulas and theorems for road with obvious gestures ,it doesn't mean I'm mental.

By the way do you know that every human has at least a minute of madness everyday?
Smoke igbo join e go help you increase am to one hour. Smoke Colorado join e go increase to one day
Add Nigeria matter e go increase to a week
Add cocaine join upgrade to one month.
Make my mamas, awon iya mi oshoromoniga, add hand join it's a lifetime sumtin .
One love.

269 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 11:41am On Jan 28, 2020
Shibaraba:
From your topics.... You sef Don dey mental

I'm OK

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ipobarethieves: 11:44am On Jan 28, 2020
ojaysam25:

I'm really serious about it...in fact whenever I'm reading and my head aches....I stop immediately.
Visit General Hospital and talk to a Doc. 2, prepare a timetable. Stop rushing urself to read a week to ur exam.U cant be Chuks, Bola/sheu dat read round the clock.Find a quiet place like library,

10 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 11:49am On Jan 28, 2020
ipobarethieves:
Visit General Hospital and talk to a Doc. 2, prepare a timetable. Stop rushing urself to read a week to ur exam.U cant be Chuks, Bola/sheu dat read round the clock.Find a quiet place like library,

Thanks
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jan 28, 2020
Too much of everything is BAD

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by javaRookie: 1:20pm On Jan 28, 2020
It is very much possible op. I know of a guy who ran mad from reading. Right now as I am speaking with you, he is dressed in rags and picking bootles around the street.
Even though he is mad, when you call him his name he would engage you in a long verbose conversation.
I even hard him say big words 'metamorphism' and 'escalated'
I heard he was a brilliant mad genius.

lalasticlala fp

44 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 28, 2020
Your brain is more than a super computer. You don't yet understand the capacity of the human brain that's why you are scared. As I am now, i can never believe this stupid concept that "too much reading can make somebody mad naturally" it is a lie from people who can't read as much as you do or people who don't want you to know more than them.

Your brain can take any amount of information you need to take in and no matter the information you take in, when you die scientists will still tell you that you haven't used up to 10% of your brain. Although this has been said by some other scientist to be a very popular science myth but there may be some fact in it.

Juju and evil powers is very common in this part of the world so if you like you can believe it but a fact is it may be the cause of this your guy's misfortune.

That somebody choked and died while eating food does not mean we should not eat to our satisfaction.

That somebody drove a car and had an accident does not mean we should not drive cars again.

That somebody read and lost his mind does not mean we should not read as much as much as possible.

That somebody who had genius level IQ became mad does not mean we should not strive for world class intelligence.

Stop personalizing things and go out there and read all you can. We dont need more ignorant people anymore.

More people die of ignorance than of over learning or reading.

208 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by efembaba(m): 3:15pm On Jan 28, 2020
How much book has ur friend read? Maybe he is going crazy for a different reason..

5 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Tobinrobin(m): 5:13pm On Jan 28, 2020
I used to believe otherwise as well until I saw someone run mad when I was a student at OAU. It was during part 2 second semester and we were preparing for exams, the dude ran mad at Awo cafe, we all had to rush him to the health center. Till date , I still don’t know if it was as a result of excessive reading or some spiritual attack but according to what his friends said, they claimed he’s on a first class path and doesn’t use drugs so I don’t know

11 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jan 28, 2020
ipobarethieves:
it's not.

I've always wanted to ask this question.

op thank you for bringing up the question

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 6:16pm On Jan 28, 2020
javaRookie:
It is very much possible op. I know of a guy who ran mad from reading. Right now as I am speaking with you, he is dressed in rags and picking bootles around the street.
Even though he is mad, when you call him his name he would engage you in a long verbose conversation.
I even hard him say big words 'metamorphism' and 'escalated'
I heard he was a brilliant mad genius.

lalasticlala fp

I'm kinda scared right now cuz I read virtually everyday....maybe like one say earlier to much of everything is truly bad....

3 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 6:22pm On Jan 28, 2020
Tobinrobin:
I used to believe otherwise as well until I saw someone run mad when I was a student at OAU. It was during part 2 second semester and we were preparing for exams, the dude ran mad at Awo cafe, we all had to rush him to the health center. Till date , I still don’t know if it was as a result of excessive reading or some spiritual attack but according to what his friends said, they claimed he’s on a first class path and doesn’t use drugs so I don’t know

maybe there is a limit the brain can take per se

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 6:27pm On Jan 28, 2020
efembaba:
How much book has ur friend read? Maybe he is going crazy for a different reason..
like I say earlier there is nothing he doesn't know....he doesn't smoke....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 6:31pm On Jan 28, 2020
ChieduJoshua081:
Your brain is more than a super computer. You don't yet understand the capacity of the human brain that's why you are scared. As I am now, i can never believe this stupid concept that "too much reading can make somebody mad naturally" it is a lie from people who can't read as much as you do or people who don't want you to know more than them.

Your brain can take any amount of information you need to take in and no matter the information you take in, when you die scientists will still tell you that you haven't used up to 10% of your brain. Although this has been said by some other scientist to be a very popular science myth but there may be some fact in it.

Juju and evil powers is very common in this part of the world so if you like you can believe it but a fact is it may be the cause of this your guy's misfortune.

That somebody choked and died while eating food does not mean we should not eat to our satisfaction.

That somebody drove a car and had an accident does not mean we should not drive cars again.

That somebody read and lost his mind does not mean we should not read as much as much as possible.

That somebody who had genius level IQ became mad does not mean we should not strive for world class intelligence.

Stop personalizing things and go out there and read all you can. We dont need more ignorant people anymore.

More people die of ignorance than of over learning or reading.

you maybe right sir...it maybe be something spiritual...but what got me confused is that he lost his sanity while reading..

2 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Justmemyself1(m): 6:40pm On Jan 28, 2020
Write a lot and read aloud what you have written as well as what others have written. It works.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3513427

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by YorubaPrince: 7:12pm On Jan 28, 2020
Then all the citizens of the developed and advanced nations should have lost their sanity! grin

11 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Odunolumide(m): 7:20pm On Jan 28, 2020
YorubaPrince:
Then all the citizens of the developed and advanced nations should have lost their sanity! grin

Reading is different from learning and everyone has a breaking point.
I remembered one time I was doing this ZLY course and I really wanted to ace it. I read for 2days straight without going home reading and reading over and over again.
The third day I felt I was going to run mad I had to go home and sleep to refresh myself.
Our abilities are diff and you can actually break down if you read over a long period of time without sleep but I can't say one will run mad.

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by YorubaPrince: 7:31pm On Jan 28, 2020
Odunolumide:

Reading is different from learning and everyone has a breaking point.
I remembered one time I was doing this ZLY course and I really wanted to ace it. I read for 2days straight without going home reading and reading over and over again.
The third day I felt I was going to run mad I had to go home and sleep to refresh myself.
Our abilities are diff and you can actually break down if you read over a long period of time without sleep but I can't say one will run mad.

I absolutely agree to an extent. In this part of our world, reading is like rocket-science. We don't encourage and embrace a reading culture which could be part of the problem.

9 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 7:36pm On Jan 28, 2020
YorubaPrince:

I absolutely agree to an extent. In this part of our world, reading is like rocket-science. We don't encourage and embrace a reading culture which could be part of the problem.

I quite agree with you

4 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Coldie(m): 7:42pm On Jan 28, 2020
No... Some people have madness in there genes at one point in time it manifests and if the person is a book worm they blame it on the books.

Same scenario plays out too on people who smoke weed, smoking weed can never make u mad, but just people with madness tendencies taking it then when the madness manifests they blame it on the weed.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 7:53pm On Jan 28, 2020
OK,generally what causes madness....I find it hard to believe your theory that some people have madness in their gene....if its in their gene they would have pass it to their offsprings...but most of this mad people give birth to normal children....@coldie

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by A305: 7:58pm On Jan 28, 2020
There is a saying that; "Neurous that fire together, wires together."

I'm coming let me put on the Gen, I will come and continue.

I'm back!

The brain is a most sophisticated and powerful computer so to speak. For the brain to function effectively, it needs to be exercised and be given its food.

When you do things repeatedly, the brain gets used to it and when those specific neurons keeps firing over time, it sort of burns out when that happens, this is when you say you are BORED and the brain starts to feel sleepy to knock you out so it rest to rivatalize that bored spot. When you don't, you stressing the brain even more hence, it might malfunction(psychosis).

Now what is the brain food?

Orgasms, Yes, you read that right. Have sex or mas turbate. This is the food the brain needs to function. Why?

Achieving orgasm is the only brain activity that stimulates all part of the brain and when you done, All part of the brain relaxes as well. So, Orgasm is what to the brain what food is, to the stomach.

So if you use your brain excessively, then try to have sex or ma sturbate to reach orgasm.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 8:01pm On Jan 28, 2020
A305:
There is a saying that; "Nerous that fire together, wires together."

I'm coming let me put on the Gen, I will come and continue.

I'm waiting����
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Coldie(m): 8:14pm On Jan 28, 2020
ojaysam25:
OK,generally what causes madness....I find it hard to believe your theory that some people have madness in their gene....if its in their gene they would have pass it to their offsprings...but most of this mad people give birth to normal children....@coldie
Yes they are normal for the mean time but one day when these normal people hit the road and mingle with normal people, maybe a stranger who doesn't know the child's linage adopts him or her from a foster home the child might be good, obedient, innocent and love reading but at a time it might manifest and they might either blame witchcraft, or books or maybe smoking

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 8:17pm On Jan 28, 2020
Coldie:

Yes they are normal for the mean time but one day when these normal people hit the road and mingle with normal people, maybe a stranger who doesn't know the child's linage adopts him or her from a foster home the child might be good, obedient, innocent and love reading but at a time it might manifest and they might either blame witchcraft, or books or maybe smoking

ok
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Coldie(m): 8:18pm On Jan 28, 2020
I didn't have to read to know this its just simple logic, same scenario normally plays in stroke patients, stroke is not caused by juju most times it's the persons lifestyle.

A lifestyle of alcohol and party without exercise might land u one and u would blame it on ur enemies

3 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Coldie(m): 8:19pm On Jan 28, 2020
ojaysam25:

ok
The boy who ran mad do a deeper research about him and his relatives if noone has any history of mental disorders.

There's a possibility that the boy might be adopted

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Universities And Their School Fees / Oluwole Oluwabukunmi Got A1 In 9 Subjects In WAEC & Scored 324 In JAMB / Federal Polytechnic Nekede Post-utme For 2015/2016 Academic Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.