Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,550 members, 7,809,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? (29796 Views)

What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? / IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:26am On Jan 29, 2020
It is not the reading but sitting that is causing the mental damage.

Sitting Too Much Could Be Wrecking Your Mental Health

Researchers in Australia at Deakin University's Center for Physical Activity and Nutrition Research found that sedentary behavior -- think excessive TV watching or working at a computer all day -- may have a negative effect on mental health.

The study joins a host of other research that supports an active lifestyle when it comes to mental health. Studies suggest just walking in nature for a few minutes can boost your mood and physical exercise has been shown to decrease depressive symptoms. Too much tech use may also influence mental health.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.huffpost.com/entry/anxiety-sedentary-lifestyle-sitting-too-much-mental-health_n_7622292/amp

cc: Tobinrobin and Ojaysam25

2 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Nobody: 2:35am On Jan 29, 2020
ChieduJoshua081:
Your brain is more than a super computer. You don't yet understand the capacity of the human brain that's why you are scared. As I am now, i can never believe this stupid concept that "too much reading can make somebody mad naturally" it is a lie from people who can't read as much as you do or people who don't want you to know more than them.

Your brain can take any amount of information you need to take in and no matter the information you take in, when you die scientists will still tell you that you haven't used up to 10% of your brain. Although this has been said by some other scientist to be a very popular science myth but there may be some fact in it.

Juju and evil powers is very common in this part of the world so if you like you can believe it but a fact is it may be the cause of this your guy's misfortune.

That somebody choked and died while eating food does not mean we should not eat to our satisfaction.

That somebody drove a car and had an accident does not mean we should not drive cars again.

That somebody read and lost his mind does not mean we should not read as much as much as possible.

That somebody who had genius level IQ became mad does not mean we should not strive for world class intelligence.

Stop personalizing things and go out there and read all you can. We dont need more ignorant people anymore.

More people die of ignorance than of over learning or reading.
Bros! one cold bottle of small stout for you....

3 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Nobody: 2:55am On Jan 29, 2020
BRYAN999:
Bros! one cold bottle of small stout for you....
One of the most intelligent people to have ever lived which is Albert Einstein , was subjected to a brain autopsy, it was discovered that even as brilliant as he was, he only used 10 percent of his brain.. My guy do you know how many cells are in your brain? The brain has billions of interconnected nuerones that undergo cell division when ever you read.... what I mean is ; when ever you read, your brain creates pathways to store that newly acquired information . you can never exhaust the brain with learning....Learning is what the brain was made for. this is why the brain takes 30 percent of every food that you eat. the human brain has been relieved of every other task so that it can focus on constantly learning new things... we can't even use up to 50 percent of our brain cells because, the energy that the brain consumes is so much, if you used more than 25 percent, your brain would start depriving your other organs of the much needed energy to function. As my brother up there has stated, the brain can't even be compared to a super computer. Research has it that if we could utilize up to 50 percent of the brain power, we would probably develop some little super human abilities like hearing ultrasonic sound, night vision , and even see infrared light.. Dolphins utilize up to 30 percent of their brains , and this is what make dolphins the most intelligent sea animal and this is also the reason dolphins can hear ultrasonic sound..( Google it if you want to)... the summary of it all is that my people, you can never go insane because of reading, never... God has so designed our brain to accommodate a vast amount of knowledge. #peace my guy#

10 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Coldie(m): 7:02am On Jan 29, 2020
NwaEje:

Yes not just chemistry, biology blablah...
I read and studied histories, between 2015 (when I was 13) and 2017; I engaged my teachers in debates on the Biafra struggle and histories...

One said I've been brainwashed and was outta my mind simply because I was very good in 'dishing' out the actual dates when a particular event occurred!

So sad I didn't continue with my studies...

If u are as good as u think I would like to engage u on Biafra

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 7:27am On Jan 29, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Researchers in Australia at Deakin University's Center for Physical Activity and Nutrition Research found that sedentary behavior -- think excessive TV watching or working at a computer all day -- may have a negative effect on mental health.

The study joins a host of other research that supports an active lifestyle when it comes to mental health. Studies suggest just walking in nature for a few minutes can boost your mood and physical exercise has been shown to decrease depressive symptoms. Too much tech use may also influence mental health.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.huffpost.com/entry/anxiety-sedentary-lifestyle-sitting-too-much-mental-health_n_7622292/amp

True,If you walk too much its bad,sit too much its bad,eat too much its bad.....I guess the theory "Too much of everything is bad" is right afterall....

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:30am On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:

True,If you walk too much its bad,sit too much its bad,eat too much its bad.....I guess the theory "Too much of everything is bad" is right afterall....

If the person sits for an hour, especially reading, a ten minutes stroll after that will do his body some good and he can get back to reading for another hour.

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 7:33am On Jan 29, 2020
vincentjk:
I know of a mentally unstable man who solves the hell outta maths in my town, they said too much reading affected his brains

They said o
hilarious....he could still solve maths at that state...lol..���
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 7:37am On Jan 29, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

If the person sits for an hour, especially reading, a ten minutes stroll after that will do his body some good and he can get back to reading for another hour.
Thanks,that's the routine I now operate on......read an hour,rest an hour.....to avoid stories that touch...

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by seanwilliam(m): 7:37am On Jan 29, 2020
justnock:
Too much of everything is BAD
minus money

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Tobinrobin(m): 7:40am On Jan 29, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Thanks for this

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 7:40am On Jan 29, 2020
BRYAN999:
One of the most intelligent people to have ever lived which is Albert Einstein , was subjected to a brain autopsy, it was discovered that even as brilliant as he was, he only used 10 percent of his brain.. My guy do you know how many cells are in your brain? The brain has billions of interconnected nuerones that undergo cell division when ever you read.... what I mean is ; when ever you read, your brain creates pathways to store that newly acquired information . you can never exhaust the brain with learning....Learning is what the brain was made for. this is why the brain takes 30 percent of every food that you eat. the human brain has been relieved of every other task so that it can focus on constantly learning new things... we can't even use up to 50 percent of our brain cells because, the energy that the brain consumes is so much, if you used more than 25 percent, your brain would start depriving your other organs of the much needed energy to function. As my brother up there has stated, the brain can't even be compared to a super computer. Research has it that if we could utilize up to 50 percent of the brain power, we would probably develop some little super human abilities like hearing ultrasonic sound, night vision , and even see infrared light.. Dolphins utilize up to 30 percent of their brains , and this is what make dolphins the most intelligent sea animal and this is also the reason dolphins can hear ultrasonic sound..( Google it if you want to)... the summary of it all is that my people, you can never go insane because of reading, never... God has so designed our brain to accommodate a vast amount of knowledge. #peace my guy#
nice piece...Thanks
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 7:51am On Jan 29, 2020
Tohsynetita1:
Studying cannot make someone to be insane but, the conditions that warrant long time to study and getting addicted to study can make one lose his or her mind.
Human being learn my reading,which is visual, by hearing, which is audio, by speaking, by vocal, by seeing, which is visual, by writing, that's by practice.
It's scientifically proven that written words stay in memory compared to printed words or texted words. That's the issue some people had with their regression in academic life. This is an issue because, most of the students in school don't take notes, in fact, lecturer had worsen the situation of not given students notes anymore. If a lecturer gives you notes, he or she is helping you and not harming you.
The factors that can cause getting mad because of books are :
1) too much thinking
2)reading environment or situation
Number one reason: if you want to retain what you ve read so far, you must think about the stuff, that is while researchers, programmers and especially scientists like Newton, Eisten, Faraday, Plato, think a lot. Secret behind all invention is either by find what everyone think is not or by mistake or by a need for the innovation. Blaise Pascal developed the Pascal programming language because his Dad was a man that collect money from people to save, his Dad do struggle in calculating everyone's money daily and he saw a need for a device, and worked on adding machine.
So, if you want to retain most of things you study, you must think about it. Imaging, before reading your post, I was thinking about what have read since the beginning of the semester and I used almost 2 hrs to think about it. Then too much of thinking can cause you to worry, sometimes I will want to sleep after my thinking, but will still find my self unable to sleep due to think, I would have been carried away with the thinking because it's part if me. Now, if one continue the way if life, one may have to isolate oneself in other to think very well. Most of the inventor lived isolated life, that's why scientist said that those that like to be in isolation will be intelligence.
Now, much isolation won't make you feel like a human, imagine you isolated your self for 10 hours reading everyday, soon now or later you will feel like not being with human being. Feeling of not mixing with fellow human is the start of madness.
So, too much of thinking gives lucidity because it's a training of mind to one particular area of life and if they are talking about another stuff in your locality, you will not be able to associate. You will feel like being with book every time.
Not only book can make someone mind to be in on a particular thing. Even music,beats,programming,e.t.c.
We won't run mad o.
I quite agree with you,thinking too much might be a factor not reading...Thanks
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 7:53am On Jan 29, 2020
seanwilliam:
minus money
lol����
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by awumen: 8:21am On Jan 29, 2020
Not sure.

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by solmusdesigns: 8:24am On Jan 29, 2020
i still wonder why anyone would run mad from reading.. but it happens

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by midnighter(f): 8:24am On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:

Thanks sir...but this guys doesn't take drugs or marijuana...

He can still suffer from schizophrenia even if he has never smoked in his life.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by helinues: 8:26am On Jan 29, 2020
This not only about book.. When your brains couldn't accommodate some information you should have slide in batches but you decided you push them in in bulk.

The brain couldn't comprehend the information

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by eteforlor(m): 8:27am On Jan 29, 2020
During my UNI days, a very intelligent course mate also got mad for a whole semester.

He still resumed and got A's in all the exams he missed. He graduated with first-class in computer dept

3 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Bbbwings: 8:27am On Jan 29, 2020
Tobinrobin:
I used to believe otherwise as well until I saw someone run mad when I was a student at OAU. It was during part 2 second semester and we were preparing for exams, the dude ran mad at Awo cafe, we all had to rush him to the health center. Till date , I still don’t know if it was as a result of excessive reading or some spiritual attack but according to what his friends said, they claimed he’s on a first class path and doesn’t use drugs so I don’t know
That year when boys do overnight reading.
Do not discount the effect of lack of sleep. It complicates matters.

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by dalhjana: 8:27am On Jan 29, 2020
So he was shouting "loquacious" and ran mad.... Now that's ludicrous.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by causimalbarka(m): 8:29am On Jan 29, 2020
A305:
There is a saying that; "Neurous that fire together, wires together."

I'm coming let me put on the Gen, I will come and continue.

I'm back!

The brain is a most sophisticated and powerful computer so to speak. For the brain to function effectively, it needs to be exercised and be given its food.

When you do things repeatedly, the brain gets used to it and when those specific neurons keeps firing over time, it sort of burns out when that happens, this is when you say you are BORED and the brain starts to feel sleepy to knock you out so it rest to rivatalize that bored spot. When you don't, you stressing the brain even more hence, it might malfunction(psychosis).

Now what is the brain food?

Orgasms, Yes, you read that right. Have sex or mas turbate. This is the food the brain needs to function. Why?

Achieving orgasm is the only brain activity that stimulates all part of the brain and when you done, All part of the brain relaxes as well. So, Orgasm is what to the brain what food is, to the stomach.

So if you use your brain excessively, then try to have sex or ma sturbate to reach orgasm.

Are u for real or you're joking?
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by midnighter(f): 8:29am On Jan 29, 2020
It sounds like stress-induced psychosis to moi

Was he reading because he enjoyed it or because he was under immense pressure

3 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Cousin9999: 8:29am On Jan 29, 2020
lol smh
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 8:29am On Jan 29, 2020
midnighter:

He can still suffer from schizophrenia even if he has never smoked in his life.
OK,I will google more on schizophrenia...
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by fredopareto(m): 8:30am On Jan 29, 2020
Coldie:
No... Some people have madness in there genes at one point in time it manifests and if the person is a book worm they blame it on the books.

Same scenario plays out too on people who smoke weed, smoking weed can never make u mad, but just people with madness tendencies taking it then when the madness manifests they blame it on the weed.
try Colorado..
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by IrohCaysen: 8:31am On Jan 29, 2020
[s]
solmusdesigns:
i still wonder why anyone would run mad from reading.. but it happens
[/s]
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 8:32am On Jan 29, 2020
helinues:
This not only about book.. When your brains couldn't accommodate some information you should have slide in batches but you decided you push them in in bulk.

The brain couldn't comprehend the information

I quite agree with you
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by TGM2015: 8:32am On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:
Hello Nairalanders

This issue has been bothering me for a while now......I had this friend who during our school days was so brilliant,in fact this friend of mine wrote his common entrance at primary 4....at jss1 he wrote his junior WAEC....

Back them we nickname him The "guru"....There was no time I visited him at home,that I wouldn't see him reading,this guy can read from morning till night.....though I was irritated with his attitude but I kept on admiring him because there is nothing in this world that this guy don't know....there is no words in the dictionary that is new to him... he was respected among our peers.....

Suddenly, he was no longer communicating with us with plain English,any small question will always be meant with grammar.. In fact this guy will go to the market to buy something and will begin to communicate with the market people with grammar...they we just be looking at him like a madman...

Then,one fateful day according to his mother,he ran out with a dictionary screaming "loquacious"all effort to calm him was in vain
the guy is in the asylum right now.....

This episode has left me confuse.....expert in the house can you help me out.....

CAN A PERSON LOSE HIS SANITY DUE TO EXCESSIVE READING??

To your question, yes, only if the person concerned do not have enough rest and thinks (negative thinking) a lot. So the insanity will be caused, not because s/he reads too much, but because s/he allow the readings to deprived him/her enough sleep and allows him/herself to develop negative thinkings or becomes depressed because of reactions of people around him.

To your friends, his insanity, the way you describe it, MUST have been the village people thing.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by israelmao(m): 8:32am On Jan 29, 2020
I did alot of reading most especially studying new words in the dictionary in my teenage years but I never lost my mind.Though everything we do need moderation.
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by PeacenLove2: 8:34am On Jan 29, 2020
Op, I'm no specialist but I have seen 2 different cases of students, very brilliant who started displaying signs of mental instability when studying. Soon as they calmed down after waking up from induced sleep, they were alright.

I think it's triggered from mental stress like someone suffering from insomnia is likely to develop mental challenges. I think these brilliant folks have a lot of brain activity that sometimes they absorb too fast hence the misfire.

I don't understand why your friend's symptom is prolonged. I hope it's not from mismanagement and or additional domestic pressure. Mental health is best kept intact as there is likely to be a recurrence once that boundary has been crossed. Good luck to all battling mental challenges.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Universities And Their School Fees / Oluwole Oluwabukunmi Got A1 In 9 Subjects In WAEC & Scored 324 In JAMB / Federal Polytechnic Nekede Post-utme For 2015/2016 Academic Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.