Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,401 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:30 AM

Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education (64959 Views)

2face Celebrates Burna Boy On Grammy Award / Angelique Kidjo Congratulates Burna Boy On Grammy Win (Photo) / Kanye West Urinates On Grammy, Declares 'Black Masters Matter' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by Wolex76: 11:32am On Jan 30, 2020
NagazGeneral:

Music lovers and genuine content critics like myself would have given up on the credibility and essence of the Grammy Awards if another undeserving artiste had won this.

Sentiments aside, Nigeria is yet to replicate another Fela Kuti in the global music sphere.

You copied and post Nwaaimpe comment without even given him credit. Well done sir.

Fela is the only Nigerian deserving of a Grammy.

Because music is not about dancesteps or groupie trends but about a movement, a message, reawakening a consciousness and yet the melody from real musical instruments.

This is a reality lost on today's Nigerian artistes aside from Asá who still lacks in consistency.

As an African act, till your music can be accepted by Pastors, Imams, Youths, elders, global leaders, United Nations and illiterates, then you stand a chance of being an African Album or winning a foreign award in Music.

Nigeria and Nigerians must understand that club bangers do not translate to foreign awards in global music
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by TUANKU(m): 11:33am On Jan 30, 2020
TechCapon:
mumu. Is vanguard a hungry blogger
Child fiddler.
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by QuickStandard: 11:34am On Jan 30, 2020
Angelfrost:

Egbon, just read the frigging post... I know it's mentally stressful for most of you, but try.

I didn't read the post at first which you are right about, but then I went back to read it.

And I can affirm to you that, she carefully didn't specify who the un-educated was.

Which could have been any of them.

But I doubt if the academy are novice or illiterates when it comes to Afro
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by blowjohn(m): 11:37am On Jan 30, 2020
NagazGeneral:

Music lovers and genuine content critics like myself would have given up on the credibility and essence of the Grammy Awards if another undeserving artiste had won this.

Sentiments aside, Nigeria is yet to replicate another Fela Kuti in the global music sphere.

Because music is not about dancesteps or groupie trends but about a movement, a message, reawakening a consciousness and yet the melody from real musical instruments.

This is a reality lost on today's Nigerian artistes aside from Asá who still lacks in consistency.

As an African act, till your music can be accepted by Pastors, Imams, Youths, elders, global leaders, United Nations and illiterates, then you stand a chance of being an African Album or winning a foreign award in Music.

Nigeria and Nigerians must understand that club bangers do not translate to foreign awards in global music

Club bangers don't win awards so where do u put Michael jackson or lady gaga or even the notorious Drake that has been winning awards only with club bangers?
My friend go and sit down and think about the Corona virus.

1 Like

Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by redsun(m): 11:38am On Jan 30, 2020
Illiteracy to Africans is not being able to speak or write the slave masters language fluently-English, French, Spanish and Portuguese.

But the simple fact that you feel comfortable in filthy surroundings and not knowing your basic human responsibilities and rights makes you a stack illiterate or an educated zombie.

Obviously, oyinbos are not going to promote African music because they still think you muderfuckers are at the level chimps that can't sustain, evolve and promote yourselves.
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by Caseless: 11:38am On Jan 30, 2020
IamPatriotic:
Hmmmmm, where did she Burnaboy is not educated? Aye vanguard ti baje!
for those who don't read, this kind of post is expected.
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by ZooOga: 11:39am On Jan 30, 2020
Hmmm, NL's headline doesn't match up with the original one from Vanguard in the least.

Just in: Naomi Campbell writes Grammy organisers over Burna Boy

ON JANUARY 29, 202011:50 AM IN NEWS
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/01/just-in-naomi-campbell-writes-grammy-organisers-over-burna-boy/amp/

Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education - Celebrities - Nairaland
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by olajide8(m): 11:42am On Jan 30, 2020
Samakus:
Naomi Campbell has written an open letter to the organizers of Grammy Awards after Burna Boy’s loss to Angelique Kidjo at the 2020 edition of the awards.

The American supermodel praised Angelique for spreading light and opening minds through her music, stated that Burna Boy has not been given the accolades he truly deserves due to lack of education.

She, however, averred that the categorization of afrobeat in the ‘World Music’ category of the 2020 Grammys, diminished an entire genre in which such a high standard of talent has emerged. Naomi queried the recording academy on the voting pattern of the category, urged them to use the next 363 days to reassess and reflect on their perspective of ‘World Music.’

She wrote;

“First, I want to say deepest congratulations to @angeliquekidjo for her award on Sunday and thank you to you for spreading light and opening minds through your music… And to our AFRICAN GIANT, @burnaboygram… it is only due to lack of education that you have not been honored with the accolades you so truly deserve. You are always a winner in our hearts. ALWAYS. •

And to The @RecordingAcademy, There is something that brings joy, strength, and happiness to myself, and to so many people that hear it, and it is called Afrobeats. Afrobeats is a musical genre played on mainstream and primetime radio not only across the continent of Africa but across the world… •

Recently, the genre was categorized into your ‘World Music’ category at the 2020 Grammys. This misrepresentation diminishes an entire genre in which such a high standard of talent has emerged; a genre that has been a force of hope and positivity for many, and a vehicle for artistry on the continent of Africa. •

Please take the next 363 days to reassess and reflect on your perspective of ‘World Music.’ Did the world get to vote for this award, or was it only the people in the United States a part of The Recording Academy? What will this neglectful categorization of music mean to individual cultures? Cultures who contribute their blood, sweat and tears, and every level of their creativity and work ethic into making music for YOU and for all of us. •

Please get up to speed on the state of all popular music today, and include Afrobeats Artist of the Year, Song of the Year, Album of the Year and all the subcategories that this genre so deserves – just as any other respected and recognized musical genre".

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/01/just-in-naomi-campbell-writes-grammy-organisers-over-burna-boy/amp/

I thought this is the same paper that wrote an article and decided to call an elected president a dictator general instead of president grin where in Naomi Campbell write up, did she say burna was not educated O jare? These soft sell newspapers would not kill us in nigeria O! They have always been walking the soft line of the ranks of sun newspapers, hint magazine and ikebe super
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by femi4: 11:43am On Jan 30, 2020
QuickStandard:

I didn't read the post at first which you are right about, but then I went back to read it.

And I can affirm to you that, she carefully didn't specify who the un-educated was.

You probably didn't read further. She exposed their illiteracy below:

Please get up to speed on the state of all popular music today, and include Afrobeats Artist of the Year, Song of the Year, Album of the Year and all the subcategories that this genre so deserves

1 Like

Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by Originalsly: 11:45am On Jan 30, 2020
Samakus:

And to our AFRICAN GIANT, @burnaboygram… it is only due to lack of education that you have not been honored with the accolades you so truly deserve. You are always a winner in our hearts. ALWAYS. •

Chew on this.

@Burmaboygram... it is only due to lack of (your) education that you have not been honored.....Burmaboy lacks education.

@Burmaboygram... it is only due to their lack of education that you have not been honoured....Grammys lack education.

I know she can explain... but explanation should've been avoided.

1 Like

Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by Angelfrost(m): 11:46am On Jan 30, 2020
QuickStandard:

You certainly can't expect her to name names or be in any way specific...

She put her point across as simply and safely as she saw fit... Those guys need to do more research into what constitutes Afrobeat and African music as a whole.

A lot of people believe sentiments cased in ignorance gave Kidjo an undue advantage over Burna...

I don't share such sentiments. I believe Kidjo won it fair and square... Still, the judges should immerse themselves further into education of what African music is all about.

P.S: She was quite specific on the uneducated being the judges, not Burna himself. grin
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by omohlexy: 11:49am On Jan 30, 2020
Ilovebigboobs:

Y u dey copy NwaAmaikpe comment
After the demiss of NwaAmaikpe some body has to step into his shoes. When last did you see him here? You love him and you didn't even attend his service of songs
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by kayjay69(m): 11:50am On Jan 30, 2020
Nigerians Nigerians Nigerians. She did not say Burna Boy lost due to his lack of education. She said Burna Boy lost due to education. I believe she meant education of the general wider western audience and the panel who awards the final winner.
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by grandstar(m): 11:52am On Jan 30, 2020
IamPatriotic:

She never said Burnaboy lost due to lack of education on his part.

What she was referring to was the ignorance on the part of the organizers about African music.

Frankly speaking, people should stop dissing Angelique Kidjo. Burnaboy has done fantastically well without an award. One day, he'll win an award. He's gotten to where he is without the buzz Wizkid and Davido draw to themselves all the time. He's not been chasing internatuonal duets or collabos like those 2 or desire to be seen with foreign artist for promotions.

Humility is the greatest prize in music and that's what he should seek. The Grammy comes a distant 2nd or even 3rd. He who humbles himself will be exalted and he who exalts himself will be humbled. With time, he should get the award.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by fredoooooo: 11:55am On Jan 30, 2020
IamPatriotic:

Vanguard is a Herdsmedia grin
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by Unamah: 11:56am On Jan 30, 2020
Read in between lines before you make a comment. She didn't label burnaboy illiterate
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by DavidEsq(m): 12:02pm On Jan 30, 2020
So this geh know book like dis fa?

Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by DavidEsq(m): 12:03pm On Jan 30, 2020
omohlexy:
After the demiss of NwaAmaikpe some body has to step into his shoes. When last did you see him here? You love him and you didn't even attend his service of songs

Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by DavidEsq(m): 12:04pm On Jan 30, 2020
blowjohn:

Club bangers don't win awards so where do u put Michael jackson or lady gaga or even the notorious Drake that has been winning awards only with club bangers?
My friend go and sit down and think about the Corona virus.
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by collitexnaira(m): 12:13pm On Jan 30, 2020
NagazGeneral:

And you have to copy every word from nwaamaikpe's comment in a related thread without adding or subtracting making it look like you drafted that all because of your crave for cheap likes on nairaland.

I hope you can use the likes to cash out at the bank

3 Likes

Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by iyandaoluwaoba: 12:20pm On Jan 30, 2020
collitexnaira:

And you have to copy every word from nwaamaikpe's comment in a related thread without adding or subtracting making it look like you drafted that all because of your crave for cheap likes on nairaland.

I hope you can use the likes to cash out at the bank
I had to go unlike the idiots comment. SMH
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by babzo(m): 12:23pm On Jan 30, 2020
Why cant you people form your own credible awards? Why must you purse USA Grammys and Oscar?

You ever hear say Lil Nas or Selena Gomez dey lobby for Naija award?
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by bullabong(m): 12:23pm On Jan 30, 2020
NagazGeneral:

Great speech.
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by NaijaDonCast(m): 12:28pm On Jan 30, 2020
I deh tell u, na to sell suya at nite stay glued to nairaland fp and front post like say na accolade that one be
Greenvaiper:

Reserved this space FOR the front page hustler wink

2 Likes

Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by ikorodureporta: 12:31pm On Jan 30, 2020
This is showbiz & Burna has been able to live up to the standard....-the swag, videos, promotion, & hype but I personally don't think his songs are Grammy worthy.

Nigerian artistes need to work on their content.

Despite having over 10GB of music, none of Burna's song made it to my compilation

1 Like

Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by BrutusOj(m): 12:33pm On Jan 30, 2020
NagazGeneral:

Why didn't you put reference on this post? @Nwaamaikpe abi what's that his name, posted exactly this comment here few days ago. Why can't you guys be original in your post? Just because of likes oo..chai.. shocked
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by Nathaniel88: 12:41pm On Jan 30, 2020
All those shouting 'school na scam' upandan, how market?
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by colestephan86: 12:47pm On Jan 30, 2020
Samakus:
Naomi Campbell has written an open letter to the organizers of Grammy Awards after Burna Boy’s loss to Angelique Kidjo at the 2020 edition of the awards.

The American supermodel praised Angelique for spreading light and opening minds through her music, stated that Burna Boy has not been given the accolades he truly deserves due to lack of education.

She, however, averred that the categorization of afrobeat in the ‘World Music’ category of the 2020 Grammys, diminished an entire genre in which such a high standard of talent has emerged. Naomi queried the recording academy on the voting pattern of the category, urged them to use the next 363 days to reassess and reflect on their perspective of ‘World Music.’

She wrote;

“First, I want to say deepest congratulations to @angeliquekidjo for her award on Sunday and thank you to you for spreading light and opening minds through your music… And to our AFRICAN GIANT, @burnaboygram… it is only due to lack of education that you have not been honored with the accolades you so truly deserve. You are always a winner in our hearts. ALWAYS. •

And to The @RecordingAcademy, There is something that brings joy, strength, and happiness to myself, and to so many people that hear it, and it is called Afrobeats. Afrobeats is a musical genre played on mainstream and primetime radio not only across the continent of Africa but across the world… •

Recently, the genre was categorized into your ‘World Music’ category at the 2020 Grammys. This misrepresentation diminishes an entire genre in which such a high standard of talent has emerged; a genre that has been a force of hope and positivity for many, and a vehicle for artistry on the continent of Africa. •

Please take the next 363 days to reassess and reflect on your perspective of ‘World Music.’ Did the world get to vote for this award, or was it only the people in the United States a part of The Recording Academy? What will this neglectful categorization of music mean to individual cultures? Cultures who contribute their blood, sweat and tears, and every level of their creativity and work ethic into making music for YOU and for all of us. •

Please get up to speed on the state of all popular music today, and include Afrobeats Artist of the Year, Song of the Year, Album of the Year and all the subcategories that this genre so deserves – just as any other respected and recognized musical genre".

But with or without education, burna is no match for Angelique kidjo
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by itu404(m): 12:51pm On Jan 30, 2020
firstly she is British supermodel, i think what she ment is education as in the grammy world and how it works and pans out, not a formal education. How many winners are degrees holders
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by Trutalker123: 12:53pm On Jan 30, 2020
NagazGeneral:

Check out sikiru Adepoju. You may not know all we Nigerians across the globe making great strides. He is a Grammy winner. I guess the only Nigerian
Re: Naomi Campbell On Grammy Awards: Burna Boy Lost Due To Lack Of Education by VickOla88(m): 12:54pm On Jan 30, 2020
Madam Professor.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Stunning Pictures Of Rihanna And Her Newborn Baby / Zubby Inspects His New House Project Under Construction: Pics & Video / DJ Cuppy Shows Off Her Father's Ikoyi Mansion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.