Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,469 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:22 PM

A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo (26774 Views)

Obasanjo: When Protocol Clashes With Tradition - Olalekan Adetayo / The Return Of SAP By Chris Adetayo / "Wole Soyinka You Are A Benefactor Of Tinubu Criminality"— Barrister Olalekan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Omooba77: 10:12am On Jan 30, 2020
On July 13, 2015, the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), in a sweeping shakeup of the nation’s security sector, approved the appointment of new service chiefs and a National Security Adviser. The appointments were made less than two months after his inauguration, having formally taken over the mantle from ex- President Goodluck Jonathan on May 29, 2015.

The appointments of the new service chiefs were contained in a statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina. The Presidency explained then that the move was part of the regime’s strategies to crush the Boko Haram insurgency.

The new appointees, according to Adesina’s statement, were Chief of Defence Staff, Major General Abayomi Olonishakin; Chief of Army Staff, Maj. Gen. Tukur Buratai; Chief of Naval Staff, Rear Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas; Chief of Air Staff, Air Vice-Marshal Sadique Abubakar; and Chief of Defence Intelligence, Air Vice Marshal Monday Riku Morgan.

They replaced former Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh; former Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Kenneth Minimah; former Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Usman Jibrin; and former Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Adesola Amosu. Maj.-Gen. Babagana Monguno (retd.) was named the NSA to replace Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.).

Expectedly, the appointments were greeted with mixed feelings. While some held the belief that the President acted in a hurry, some others agreed that the sack of the former service chiefs was long overdue and that it was the right thing any new Commander-in-Chief should do.

More than four years after the appointments however, stakeholders appear to be on the same page on the need for the President to inject fresh blood into the nation’s security architecture by allowing these service chiefs, most of whom have long been due for retirement, to take their deserved rest and appoint new service chiefs that will lead the nation to overcome the security challenges.

That the nation is under siege is not in doubt. From kidnapping and killings to insurgency and banditry, Nigeria is far from being a nation at peace. The President himself cannot pretend not to be aware of happenings around the country. He is also aware of the huge responsibilities placed on him and his exalted office to address the issue; after all, he was quoted to have said on Tuesday that “One of the responsibilities of government is to provide security. If we don’t secure the country, we will not be able to manage the economy properly.”

Buhari spoke on the same day members of the two chambers of the National Assembly, on their resumption from their five-week recess, reviewed the state of the nation and declared that insecurity had reached an alarming level. The House of Representatives took a bold step further on Wednesday when it passed a resolution calling on the service chiefs to either resign or be sacked by the President.

With that resolution, it appears only Buhari knows the reason(s) these service chiefs will remain in office and continue to draw salaries from the treasury being funded by taxpayers that they have so far displayed inability to protect.

It is almost certain that these men will never resign as demanded by the House of Representatives. That is a culture that is strange to Nigeria. But will the President now yield to the many calls on him to stop doing the same thing the same way and be expecting a different result? Will he continue to administer same drug for an ailment despite that there is no visible improvement? Beyond mere mouthing the call, is there anything the House of Representatives, and by extension the National Assembly, can do to make Buhari see reasons and sack the service chiefs? Only time will tell.

https://punchng.com/a-president-and-his-tired-service-chiefs

12 Likes

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by money121(m): 10:13am On Jan 30, 2020
Naija

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Omooba77: 10:39am On Jan 30, 2020
money121:
Naija
Tired in deed

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Snipper007: 10:41am On Jan 30, 2020
angry
Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by chriskosherbal(m): 10:42am On Jan 30, 2020
I swear op that topic is laughable ;Dthat word tired does the final nailing.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Racoon(m): 12:07pm On Jan 30, 2020
That the nation is under siege is not in doubt. From kidnapping and killings to insurgency and banditry, Nigeria is far from being a nation at peace.

The President himself cannot pretend not to be aware of happenings around the country. He is also aware of the huge responsibilities placed on him and his exalted office to address the issue;...
-"I am surprised bandits (armed terrorists) are still killing people"- President Buhari.

-"Bombing Has Reduced, Nigerians Should Be Thankful"-Femi Adeshina.

65 Likes 7 Shares

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Omooba77: 1:54pm On Jan 30, 2020
Racoon:

-"I am surprised bandits (armed terrorists) are still killing people"- President Buhari.

-"Bombing Has Reduced, Nigerians Should Be Thankful"-Femi Adeshina.

People who dont know what they are doing...............Lalasticlala

29 Likes

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Trutherme: 5:41pm On Jan 30, 2020
How are we sure these service chief are not privately encouraging instability and insecurity in order to make it look as if they are doing something.
They should have tendered their resignation before now but they don't have any shame left in them. Service chiefs my foot!lipsrsealed

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by YorubaPrince: 5:41pm On Jan 30, 2020
cool
Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by GEOANDSONS: 5:41pm On Jan 30, 2020
aydought:
BUHARI: “Give me power, Give me Power, Give me Power”
NIGERIANS: “O ya, take the power, we give to you to use it for our betterment”
BUHARI: “Haba, you mean someone cannot play with you again? I was only joking ooooo”
grin grin

Still on Still Home and Office Furnitures available

3 Likes

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Righteousness89(m): 5:41pm On Jan 30, 2020
Apart from GOD'S HELP, Nigeria is in Trouvlr.. what beats me is many still do not know..

1 Like

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by ForeThinker: 5:41pm On Jan 30, 2020
That kind thing

1 Like

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Coldie(m): 5:41pm On Jan 30, 2020
When he appointed no Igbo man, they said reason was that he wasn't looking tribe but merit. Yet they still failed whole fully.

I understand Buhari sha, Buhari is a shy man, he is not comfortable seeing new faces around him

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by spafu(m): 5:42pm On Jan 30, 2020
The president is surprised by the activities of those whom he had failed to deal with. It's over four years, since Buhari became president, everything thing he made has gotten worse and has improved nothing, except in the eyes of those zombies like the suya seller here, who is now a full-time jobless herdman relying on #30,000 to defend the indefensible.
For heaven sake, why should a man with Buhari's military experience wait for people to demand for a change of service chiefs? The man is such a daft president.
Thank God I no longer rely on the Nigerian government to feed. You can confirm that in my signature.

13 Likes

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by ideatoprince18(m): 5:42pm On Jan 30, 2020
Indeed they are tired even Lucozade boost and glucose cannot give them strength!!!!!

7 Likes

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Wiseandtrue(f): 5:42pm On Jan 30, 2020
A lifeless president and his lifeless chiefs cool

10 Likes

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by ednut1(m): 5:42pm On Jan 30, 2020
wink

6 Likes

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Tonyspecial(m): 5:42pm On Jan 30, 2020
Vision 2020

2 Likes

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by bigstan11787(m): 5:42pm On Jan 30, 2020
Hmm have you even wondered if Nigeria is just destined to be the way it has been.. (Just thinking out loud)

Please nobody should quote me o

1 Like

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by millionboi2: 5:42pm On Jan 30, 2020
Tired
Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Odinaka00(m): 5:42pm On Jan 30, 2020
Damn niggarrrrrrrrrrrrr
Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by paix(m): 5:43pm On Jan 30, 2020
I think Nigerians are even more tired than the service chiefs.

1 Like

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Powersurge: 5:43pm On Jan 30, 2020
One of the reasons why NIgeria will remain among the backward nations of the world is hypocrisy.

Where are the El Rufais of this world. Every lip seems to be either sealed or talking hypocrisy.

I have NEVER seen any president as less productive as Major General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd). There is no single aspect of our national lives that is doing well.

I am of the view that all these old men lack the idea for today's world.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by saaron(m): 5:43pm On Jan 30, 2020
Syria today is becoming more secure than Nigeria no thanks to buhari's satanic regime.
What's currently happening in Nigeria is nothing but ''Fulani Invasion'' all weaponized to reign terror on Nigerians. The terrorist are hiding in remote forest all over Nigeria. They recieve their supplies from buhari's satanic regime on helicopters.

#BuhariMustResign

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Openbusiness: 5:43pm On Jan 30, 2020
Buhari only cares about Fulani foreigners and their cows

7 Likes

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jan 30, 2020
and his extremely tired service chiefs
Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Petdagr8t(m): 5:45pm On Jan 30, 2020
Even the president too is tired and clueless
Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by solmus: 5:45pm On Jan 30, 2020
cool

Buhari was once a service chief and he knows the implication of changing service chiefs during a battle

Jonathan foolishly listened to pressure of changing service chiefs and Nigeria recorded major death toll and territory capture, what did Jonthan benefit from cowardly sacking ihejirike

4 Likes

Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Jh0wsef(m): 5:47pm On Jan 30, 2020
Lol
Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by abumeinben(m): 5:49pm On Jan 30, 2020
Well...

I'm sure the writer voted change.
Re: A President And His ‘Tired’ Service Chiefs By Olalekan Adetayo by Speaklove: 5:49pm On Jan 30, 2020
Very tired

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Peter Obi Attends Dele Momodu's 63rd Birthday Party In London (Pictures) / FG May Increase Petrol Price To N180 Per Litre / Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu’s Bail Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.