Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,786 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:34 PM

What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? (9335 Views)

SONGS That Make You Feel GODS Presence / Black Jesus, Nigeria Jesus - By His Stripes You Are Healed / Black Jesus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by wales(m): 8:24am On Jan 23, 2006
Are you offended by a Black Jesus?
Will a new movie “Son of Man” that portrays Christ as a contemporary African revolutionary change your perception of Jesus?

The film is set in the black townships near Cape Town and is performed in the African language of Xhosa.

Director Mark Dornford-May said "Christ has been hijacked a bit, he's gone very blonde haired and blue-eyed. The important thing about the message of Christ was that it is universal."

What do you think of a Black Jesus? How does it change your perceptions of Christ? Send us your comments using the form below.

Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by exu(m): 2:30pm On Jan 26, 2006
Every society that 'choose' to adopt Christianity has their own interpretation of what he was supposed to have looked like. So in Ethiopia and to the Afro-Brazilian populace Jesus is depicted as a man with brown skin and black hair, like them. In Europe Jesus is shown to look like the people who reside there...

What form Jesus took shouldn't be important, but it is often made out to be...The real question should be: Did the guy even exist?? If so, where are the written records of him outside of the Bible

I'd have a lot more respect for religions if they choose to take what was good from their respective 'faiths' and ignore trivial, childish issues such as this one....
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by Slaen: 6:44pm On Jan 26, 2006
A black Jesus doesn't offend me at all. While I agree with the director that "his message was universal", I'm comfortable with the fact that since he was a full blooded Jew, he "looked" Jewish. It's my opinion that he was as genetically created as we all are. I think what's important is that regardless of his earthly skin color He isn't "thin skinned" and if this movie brings people to Him, then it's all the better.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by Ajisafe: 10:09am On Feb 03, 2006
@ Slaeen,

And how does a Jew look like? I hope you didn't mean those European looking people that now populate the so-called nation of "Israel"? Please, read your history! The original Jews were not European-like.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by Slaen: 4:36pm On Feb 03, 2006
The question was if a "black" Jesus was offensive. Fact is, He was a Jew. What he looked like doesn't matter all that much, it's what He SAID and DID that matters, and so how His skin color is portrayed is of little importance. Why do you choose to miss the point? Also, Israel IS a nation. Period.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by blkamrcngl(f): 1:20am On Feb 18, 2006
Why would it be offensive when Jesus was likely closer to being "black" than being "white"?
That should be no more offensive than Jesus being depicted as Nordic.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by allonym: 3:41am On Feb 18, 2006
Are egyptian's black or white?

Which are they closer to being?

How can you make the claim that he was closer to being black?
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by blkamrcngl(f): 8:14am On Feb 18, 2006
It's plain and simple how I can say that if you follow the patterns of how certain ethnicities have changed over the period of 2000 years.

You ask the question, "Are Egyptians black or white?", probably referring to present day Egyptians (personally I consider them neither). Please do not forget that the Egyptians that you speak of today are not of the same ethnic composition as the Egyptians 2000 years ago. The exact same thing can be said for the Jews. This is the reason why I say Jesus's "earthly shell" was likely closer to "black" than "white".

In fact, I even consider some (not all) modern day people of "Middle Eastern" descent to be closer racially to being "black" than "white" even though many wooly haired, brown skinned Arabs still view themselves as "white" (so that is not even to mention ancient day Arabs). The reason for this is that the definition of "black" changes from country to country. I myself have brown hair, green eyes, and fair skin, but I, along with both parents (and their parents too), am still recognized as "black". There are plenty of Arabs who look like people in my family, same hair texture and all, yet they are viewed as a separate race. So I feel that if blacks can have this kind of diversity and still be viewed as "black" then I consider the ancient people in the Middle East closer to being "black" than "white".
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by choiceA: 12:16pm On Feb 18, 2006
@ blkamrcngl,
This does not make much sense or sound convincing. It is just as well to say that 2000 years ago Nigerians were whites but today they are black; or, that 2000 years ago the caucasians of Scotland were blacks but today they are white. Is someone re-writing the history books? I need pointers that are more persuasive than conjectures and opinions as to why Jesus was either black or white; it will not suffice to just speculate that He was "likely closer to black than white." For me, there's a clear divide between ethnicity and skin colour. I've thought the question of this forum through, and wondered if it's all about ethnicity or race. If you've got a little more time to spare, you might want to see the difference here: http://anthro.palomar.edu/ethnicity/ethnic_1.htm

Besides, the worry as to His skin colour most probably stemmed out of the disaffection of people who have a politico-racial problem. Other movies apart from "Son of Man" have hinted at this idea of a 'black Jesus,' and in my estimation none have had a perennial effect than the movie "Malcolm X." That is not to say that Malcom was right in his interpretation of Revelation 1:14, unless the colour of snow was black 2000 years ago. He certainly read that verse blindly.

So, what's my view in regards to the question? There's just one scripture that answers this enquiry for me presently, and that is 2 Cor.5:16 - "Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more."

I cannot say with utmost accuracy at this point what exactly was Jesus' skin colour in the first century. That He was a Jew and from the tribe of Judah (Heb.7:14), no one is left in doubt. Like blkamrcngl, any opinions expressed will just be that - my opinions. Until I read something that might provide a stronger ray of light on the subject, I could not be so bothered about His skin colour.

I do enjoy your piece, though  smiley
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by kismat: 12:30pm On Feb 18, 2006
I don't think Jesus being black, white or yellow will change anything. This only shows how ignorant my fellow brethren are about God and don't fully comprehend why we exist. What should be important is getting the correct message and teachings of Jesus. That will get you closer to Allah.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by choiceA: 1:08pm On Feb 18, 2006
If you carefully consider the teachings of Jesus, you will not be one step towards the Allah of Islam but far away from him. The teachings of Jesus lead you to establish a relationship with God by faith - the God He came to preach and whom He called "Father." Allah in the Qur'an and God in the Bible are not at all the same, and if you're in doubt, ask your Imam the next time you go to mosque. If he tells you they are the same, ask him if you can go to church and worship God as 'Father.' I shouldn't prod you on - you probably would not survive to ask him the third question. But thanks for that good note that the important thing is the correct message and teachings of Jesus - as found in the Bible smiley
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by blkamrcngl(f): 5:57am On Feb 19, 2006
Since this thread is about the portrayal of Jesus, all I am saying is that since he would be considered a Person of Color in the present day undoubtedly, that portraying him as a pure blooded African is no more "misleading" than portraying him as blue eyed and blond haired.

Choice A: This is actually more than an opinion. There are many sources that go in-depth into this including the Discovery Channel. Although I cannot immediately search for the exact links right now, they are all over Google and Yahoo at your convenience. I did not say that his shell was "black", but that in comparison to the common European images of Jesus, the phenotype is more than likely closer (i.e. a brown person). Also note that although the term "Caucasian" is often used that it does not equal "white" (as in India, Egypt, etc.) and still applies to many People of Color who really are closer to many blacks phenotypically than many Europeans.

It's not that it matters a lot in the end, just keeping consistent with this topic.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by allonym: 7:29am On Feb 22, 2006
blkamrcngl:

You ask the question, "Are Egyptians black or white?", probably referring to present day Egyptians (personally I consider them neither). Please do not forget that the Egyptians that you speak of today are not of the same ethnic composition as the Egyptians 2000 years ago. The exact same thing can be said for the Jews. This is the reason why I say Jesus's "earthly shell" was likely closer to "black" than "white".

Well, what has changed the racial makeup of the egyptians since the time of jesus? Almost nothing. By that time, Egyptians, Jews, and just about everyone in nothern africa were intermingling with Europeans, first the Greeks, then Romans, then whoever else. It is very very highly improbable that Jesus could have been "black".
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by oluyoko(f): 1:35pm On Feb 22, 2006
Jesus being black has become such an issue among black people, but i do not see the reason why. If we follow the teachings of Jesus, it should not matter the colour of his skin. and the only reason he was potrayed as a white man in all the movies is because the white people made it, and somehow i doubt if they would go out of their way to look for an actor who is predominately Jewish. i know i wouldn't. it is about the message and not what race is potraying it. if Jesus was Chinese and a Japanese man acted the part, would you mind? you would not care.

and by the way, Egyptians are considered Egyptians. No one really cares the colour of their skin. at least i don't.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by allonym: 5:51am On Feb 28, 2006
my point is people are trying to make the argument that Jesus was "black" because he was born in Africa.

The argument partially makes sense however, there is a huge problem. Jesus was born in a place where there is question as to whether the people are actually black, where "his" people are not even considered black today under occupation of a foreign power that was definitely NOT black.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by cush: 3:14pm On Mar 01, 2006
Look for those of you who don't know the true history of Israel. Jesus was NOT!!!!! a jew. And never called himself a Jew. He was a Judahite. The jews of today converted and are gentiles from europeans. Read the geneology of Noah'd son. All white people come from Jaspeth, it is stats that from him came the coastlines of the gentiles. The Jews have the whole world believing that a person who's not Jewish is a gentile; THIS IS A LIE!!!! READ THE GENEOLOGY OF NOAH'S THREE SONS AND YOU WILL SEE WHO ARE THE REAL GENTILES. Moses was not a Jew like the history channel and other people say he was. Moses was a levite FROM THE TRIBE OF LEVI. Look Jesus was described as having wholly hair and skin like brass. COME ON WHO ARE WE FOOLING, WHAT WHITE PERSON HAVE HAIR LIKE THAT AND BROWN SIN COLOR. and for those white people say it do not matter what Jesus looked liked a fooling themselves becasue they see Jesus images everywhere today as looking like them. If white people was to wake up tommorrow and see Jesus images everywhere even on there walls at home and in church as a black man they would flip.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by allonym: 8:04am On Mar 04, 2006
cush:

Look for those of you who don't know the true history of Israel. Jesus was NOT!!!!! a jew. And never called himself a Jew. He was a Judahite. The jews of today converted and are gentiles from europeans. Read the geneology of Noah'd son. All white people come from Jaspeth, it is stats that from him came the coastlines of the gentiles. The Jews have the whole world believing that a person who's not Jewish is a gentile; THIS IS A LIE!!!! READ THE GENEOLOGY OF NOAH'S THREE SONS AND YOU WILL SEE WHO ARE THE REAL GENTILES. Moses was not a Jew like the history channel and other people say he was. Moses was a levite FROM THE TRIBE OF LEVI. Look Jesus was described as having wholly hair and skin like brass. COME ON WHO ARE WE FOOLING, WHAT WHITE PERSON HAVE HAIR LIKE THAT AND BROWN SIN COLOR. and for those white people say it do not matter what Jesus looked liked a fooling themselves becasue they see Jesus images everywhere today as looking like them. If white people was to wake up tommorrow and see Jesus images everywhere even on there walls at home and in church as a black man they would flip.

perhaps you don't know what a jew is or what the definition of gentile is.

1) By definition, if you are not a jew, you are a gentile. It's pretty ignorant to say anything else.
2) Being a jew is more than a religion, it is an ethnic grouping. Just like if any of your parents are black, you are automatically black, if any of your parents are jews, then so you are. No one contests Mary was a jew, therefore, Jesus would have had to be jewish.

3) nobody can make the argument that jesus was white anymore than they can make it that he was black. He was a jew. . .which is its own ethnic group, just like being white or black. There is no way around it.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by TYPOP(m): 9:30pm On Mar 24, 2006
If "He" will still live in the film as the Bible said He lived, I am happy. The film only brings Him closer to the people and I think they will understand more that Jesus is an high priest that was in all ways tempted as they were.
Don't start arguing about what He looked like. How do you feel about the movie?
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by Rhodalyn(f): 9:33pm On Mar 24, 2006
lets not talk about God in a forum please
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by TYPOP(m): 12:37pm On Mar 25, 2006
Rhodalyn:

lets not talk about God in a forum please

@Rhodalyn

This forum is Cristianity for chrisitians. I think we have every right to talk about God here. How are you?
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by mamaput(f): 5:25pm On Mar 25, 2006
Let me put it this way.
If they make a Jesus film in Nigeria and use black actors it will not be strange to me.
I i am i japan the Jesus actor is from japan its normal . but on an international view. I will find it strange if he had blue eyes and blond hair,
I think its just what we are used to seeing.
If he is black on an international view like in hollywood film i will wonder.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by Horus(m): 7:54pm On May 29, 2007
We know what color the Bible say he is. He is of a dark complexion and his hair is wooly. Jesus lived in a hot nation where the sun shined bright everyday. So what!?The bottom line is we as non-whites live with lies that Jesus is white for most of our lives, but as soon as we non-whites want to portray Jesus as a man of color the non-blacks get upset about it. Whose sensitive now? Are you scared we are going to take Jesus from you? You are in denial except the fact that Jesus was brown skinned!

Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by NymphoQin(f): 8:00pm On May 29, 2007
i dont think i care very much what colour he could have been or they intend to show him as. Don't mind the idea though
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by wales(m): 8:17pm On May 29, 2007
Well, may be black or white Jesus it all have to do with our faith.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by TellyB(m): 8:22pm On May 29, 2007
Horus:

We know what color the Bible say he is. He is of a dark complexion and his hair is wooly. Jesus lived in a hot nation where the sun shined bright everyday. So what!?The bottom line is we as non-whites live with lies that Jesus is white for most of our lives, but as soon as we non-whites want to portray Jesus as a man of color the non-blacks get upset about it. Whose sensitive now? Are you scared we are going to take Jesus from you? You are in denial except the fact that Jesus was brown skinned!

@Horus,

#  what is your proof that Jesus was BLACK?

#  what did your BLACK jesus do for you?

#  what do you know about your black jesus that no one has heard of until recently?
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by Horus(m): 8:33pm On May 29, 2007
@WALES
Well, may be black or white Jesus it all have to do with our faith.
Ok!,Let's before look at some points in your Bible.You just said that you have faith in your Bible.Right !!Ok.After these subliminal pictures of a white Jesus have been stamped in the minds of our children, we have to make this a full time effort to explain what Jesus looked like and we must all agree on one story and one picture. As it stands now whenever our children see a black picture or drawing of Christ they are forced to say, “look mommy a black Jesus.” That is because in their sub-conscious mind Jesus is white. It is the same as a black Santa Claus.
The truth of the matter is that God doesn’t have a color he appears in. Yet,the Son of God does. Revelation 1:14-15 further describes Jesus’ hair texture which is like lamb’s wool as well as in 1 Corinthians 11:14 where it states that it is a shame for a man to have long hair. This goes to show you that the image of Jesus with long hair could not be the true image of the true Son of God, Jesus Christ.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by wales(m): 8:47pm On May 29, 2007
If, we say black or white Jesus we will need to look into the birth of Jesus for in Matthew 1:23 we where told that the virgin will conceive a child! she will give birth to a son and he will be called Immanuel which means GOD is with us, with this account we can say the father of Jesus is the Holy Spirit which we don't know may it is white or black, but the mother is know, which we all know that Jesus mother is not black and if you are not black you can't give birth to a black child. with this we can put the thinking of black Jesus outof the issue.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by Horus(m): 9:11pm On May 29, 2007
@WALES                                                                                                           
which we all know that Jesus mother is not black
Ok,now Let's see this point.
We all know,,  WhoAre you talking about the image you see in Holywood movie??
Where in your bible it is said that she IS NOT BLACK??,give me the chapter and number for me to have a look at it.
Now look did you look also in Revelation 1:14-15 where your Bible further describes Jesus’ hair texture which is like lamb’s wool
And question now do Caucasians have hair texture which is like lamb’s wool??
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by wales(m): 9:22pm On May 29, 2007
@ Horus
Quote:
Now look did you look also in Revelation 1:14-15 where your Bible further describes Jesus’ hair texture which is like lamb’s wool

But in that same Revelation 1:14 &15 we where made to know that is hair wrer whitelike wool not black like wool.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by wales(m): 9:24pm On May 29, 2007
@ Horus
Quote:

But in that same Revelation 1:14 &15 we where made to know that is hair were white like wool not black like wool.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:27pm On May 29, 2007
Lol wooly hair

Have you ever seen a jewish person's hair before?

Black Jesus ko, Yellow Mary ni.
Re: What Do You Feel About Black Jesus? by TellyB(m): 10:14pm On May 29, 2007
@Horus,

Horus:

The truth of the matter is that God doesn’t have a color he appears in.

Which 'God' are you referring to - the one who needs a larynx to speak, as you hinted in other threads?

Horus:

Yet,the Son of God does. Revelation 1:14-15 further describes Jesus’ hair texture which is like lamb’s wool

Revelation 1:14-15 does not say that Jesus was a black man.

His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow;
and his eyes were as a flame of fire; And his feet like unto fine brass,
as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
-- Rev. 1:14-15.

That the hair was "white as wool" does not speak of texture but of colour! Same as the emphasis on colour when it speaks of the hair as "white as snow"! The picture you posted - how does that describe the hair as "white like wool" or "white as snow"?!?

Besides, both white and black people have white hair; so cheating with this rigmarole is not helping your idea of a black jesus.

Horus:

as well as in 1 Corinthians 11:14 where it states that it is a shame for a man to have long hair. This goes to show you that the image of Jesus with long hair could not be the true image of the true Son of God, Jesus Christ.

Nazarenes are known to have long hair when under a vow!!

"All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head:
until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall
be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow."  --  Num. 6:5.

So, where is your black jesus in this picture?

Horus:

Ok,now Let's see this point.
We all know,, WhoAre you talking about the image you see in Holywood movie??

Your image of a "black jesus" does not cut your description either.

Horus:

Where in your bible it is said that she IS NOT BLACK??
give me the chapter and number for me to have a look at it.

Where do you read rather that she IS black? Chapter and verse, please.

Horus:

The description is about colour, and not texture!

Horus:

And question now do Caucasians have hair texture which is like lamb’s wool??

Does your black jesus have a hair texture like snow ("white as snow"wink?? Sample the pictures below and see that both blacks and whites have "white hairs"!

[img]http://www.gateway.ualberta.ca/media/images/i_2005-11-/motto-hancock.jpg[/img]

Now look closer at your "black jesus"

Where is the white hair as "wool" or "snow"??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do You Personally Hear From God? / Cardinal Becciu: Vatican Court Convicts Former Pope Adviser Of Financial Crimes / IAmSabrina : Please Check This Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.