Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,609 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:08 PM

FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins (20330 Views)

Nigerians To Pay 5% VAT On Online, Internet Transactions January 2020 — FIRS / FIRS Arraigns Companies, 3 Others Over Tax Evasion And Assault On Staff / Firs Shuts Down Tinapa Over Alleged Tax Evasion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by odinga1of: 6:26am On Feb 02, 2020
solmus:

Garri isnt withing the taxable comodity, infact most food items arent

I noticed this moniker on politics section. Oga u are smarter than this.

Trust Nigerians, when dollar high, traders and market women liverage on that to inflate price of commodities.

If Ugwu leaf price fit high, how much more Garri?

2 Likes

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by solmus: 6:28am On Feb 02, 2020
odinga1of:

I noticed this moniker on politics section. Oga u are smarter than this.

Trust Nigerians, when dollar high, traders and market women liverage on that to inflate price of commodities.

If Ugwu leaf price fit high, how much more Garri?

no doubt higher tax would cause little bit of inflation, but 1500 for Garri haba, or which measurement are you talking about

1 Like

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by Jabioro: 6:33am On Feb 02, 2020
We have startt experiencing it
Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by larryking540: 6:35am On Feb 02, 2020
imolile:
Is this (Buhari administration) a government ? these fraudsters who imposed tax and do nothing, Citizens are suffering and life is becoming more unbearable, What major thing have the government done to you except looting all the proceeds from the masses.
The same tax He uses to travel for headache and his daughter used the Private aircraft to take pictures, or the one looted by Tinubi in his burdilon house in Ikoyi or Atiku from Custom and Jonathan and Dame for Air peace,
Nigerians can refuse to pay tax until and insist on accountability, I hear that abroad, people are even happy to pay because they see what is being done with it. Even the Toilet at the airport will tell you that Tax is a scam

The toilet is nothing to write home about , God , sometimes I keep asking God wats my purpose on Earth / Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by motionarena: 6:38am On Feb 02, 2020
Now I understand why these footballers evade tax

1 Like

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by Nobody: 6:49am On Feb 02, 2020
Paying tax so that politicians can keep living fat on our sweat.

The UAE realised that their oil was not going to last forever.

They didn't start taxing or over taxation. Instead they used the current oil money to turn their country into the prime tourist destination.

In fact there are no taxes in the UAE. And that's a monarchy, not a democracy.

You see that Nigeria is f*cked?!

7 Likes

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by Taywon: 7:20am On Feb 02, 2020
Many will understand better now.....
Hope the fulanis will also pay tax for the cows they sell...

2 Likes

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by desmond2pk: 7:39am On Feb 02, 2020
yanabasee:

What is stopping the FG from regulating prices of goods in Nigeria!?

1983 here we come again

1 Like

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by Truthbites: 7:51am On Feb 02, 2020
Where are the Zombs? Madridguy,Buhariguy? Mannagrill (abi wetin)? Where that zombie list wen somebody combine?

U Zombs will start paying the 7.5% first. Upon all the loan in trillions that this heartless govt has borrowed,they can't give us change, instead they brought pain.
All countries don see us finish. America don ban us. Soon UK.
See the rubbish consolation letter Femi adesinafonja wrote yesterday on the American ban.

Yeye de smell, for this country...until we fight them,they will continue to oppress us.
Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by vertueptime: 7:59am On Feb 02, 2020
valentineuwakwe:
As the implementation of the new 7.5 per cent Value Added Tax rate begins on Saturday (today ), the Federal Inland Revenue Service has warned businesses and individuals against tax evasion.
The Federal Government had said it would from today begin the implementation of the 7.5 per cent Value Added Tax.
The VAT increase which is meant to help government achieve its revenue projections for the 2020 budget is a part of the tax reforms included in the 2019 Finance Act .
With the Act , it is expected that there will be more revenue to finance key government projects especially in the areas of health, education and critical infrastructure.
Among the Finance Act strategic objectives is the supporting of micro , small and medium Enterprises in line with the ease of doing business reforms such as VAT threshold.
Speaking during a breakfast programme on the Nigerian Television Authority monitored by our correspondent , the Executive Chairman of the FIRS , Mohammed Nami, urged all businesses to ensure that they register with the FIRS for VAT purpose .
He said any business that failed to obey the tax law would face the wrath of the tax authorities.
He said, “ It’s your statutory responsibility whether you just registered today with Corporate Affairs Commission to come over to the Federal Inland Revenue to register as VAT agent. That is the first responsibility .

“The second responsibility is that you should keep good record of your transaction because if you don’t keep good records and eventually during the compliance process and monitoring process it is discovered that you have traded well above N25m , the taxes will be paid in arrears . ”
He said the VAT Act already exempts pharmaceuticals , educational items , and basic commodities.
Some of the basic food commodities according to Section 46, that were also excepted include brown and white bread; cereals including maize, rice, wheat , millet, barley and sorghum and fish of all kinds.
Others are flour and starch meals; fruits, nuts, pulses and vegetables of various kinds; roots such as yam, cocoyam, sweet and Irish potatoes; meat and poultry products including eggs ; milk ; salt and herbs of various kinds; and natural water and table water.
source: https://m.punchng.com/firs-warns-against-evasion-as-7-5-vat-begins-today

Imagine doing contract last year with vat 5%, fg no gree release funds till after feb, u come pay 7.5% vat

1 Like

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by Jaqenhghar: 8:08am On Feb 02, 2020
dominique:
So it has not even been officially added and prices of stuff have started going up. FG should also warn manufacturers and importers against overinflation of prices of their products but they don't care if the struggling citizens are being milked dry.
Even the struggling citizens dont care. Theywill simply "double their hustle" so they won't be seen as being broke.

2 Likes

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by Jidibia(m): 8:09am On Feb 02, 2020
solmus:
grin

People pay tax out of trust in Government and not because of any yeye threat.. who would be so dumb as an enterprenuer to remit the exact VAT as collected from customers, so that Hanah Buhari can waste it on Avaition fuel to use on Presidential Jet to snap pictures in Bauchi, National Assembly can renovate a small Assembly complex with whooping 37billion naira or $100 million USD
Abi o....
55% of Nigeria’s VAT is collected in Lagos State. 20% in FCT, 6% in Rivers, 5% in Kano, 1% in Kaduna. Buhari's State Katsina dont pay VAT but earn from VAT revenue, Mohammed Nami's State doesnt pay VAT yet he is the Head of the Agency collecting VAT

as a business man, i will source my own dollars from Habokkii that Northern government gives at discounted rate, i will personally negotiate my trade with China without help from Ministry of Trade and Investment, if the chinesse trader doesnt scam me of my money since Nigerian government has no escrow system, i'll use my money to ship and pay custom duty, after that i will now sell the goods at the shop i rented on my own and now be foolish enough to give Mohammed Nami and Buhari a whooping 7.5% of my sales after my hustle , wey me self never make 3% profit after tax

tax evassion might be a crime in Europe and America but in Nigeria its common sense, My Football legend Messi is a tax evader, My Political Legend Jagaban of Africa was accused of evading tax, Baba Ijebu the lotto Legend evades tax ,Donald Trump my hated US president was accused of hiding tax details and prolly evaded tax, who am i not to evade tax

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by Jaqenhghar: 8:12am On Feb 02, 2020
FrLukas:
Paying tax so that politicians can keep living fat on our sweat.

The UAE realised that their oil was not going to last forever.

They didn't start taxing or over taxation. Instead they used the current oil money to turn their country into the prime tourist destination.

In fact there are no taxes in the UAE. And that's a monarchy, not a democracy.

You see that Nigeria is f*cked?!
Like you said "they realised". It comes down to how one understands his situation. Niggerians dont believe the oil will run out or that oil may one day lose its relevance. Painting a scenario of what may go wrong is seen as being unpatriotic and wishibg the country bad

1 Like

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by oaugraduate1234(m): 8:17am On Feb 02, 2020
I hope the increase will favour Nigerians. Lol
Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by Chekwube1989(m): 8:18am On Feb 02, 2020
Pls will the tax stop them from borrowing? Just asking
Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by Nobody: 8:22am On Feb 02, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

Like you said "they realised". It comes down to how one understands his situation. Niggerians dont believe the oil will run out or that oil may one day lose its relevance. Painting a scenario of what may go wrong is seen as being unpatriotic and wishibg the country bad

Nigerian politicians are not stupid. They know oil will not last forever. That is why they loot as much as they can.

Most of them have dual citizenship or permanent residency to some western nation.

Once Nigeria caves in, they'll run.

It's not the lack of KNOWLEDGE but the lack of POLITICAL GOODWILL to do what is right at the time it is right.

3 Likes

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by EmekaBlue(m): 8:49am On Feb 02, 2020
Bcoz una increase for example nysc alawi abi..then u want to collect x10 from d citizens and u see some foolish corpers making video shouting buhari for 3rd term

D mumuism of some nigerians really disgust me

1 Like

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by Onlineclothing(m): 9:02am On Feb 02, 2020
Dm and buy your pants trousers for 1500 all sizes and colour available except white All are Europe brands chinos and shirts also available.Nationwide delivery.pod in Lagos
Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by simplex2: 9:41am On Feb 02, 2020
solmus:
grin

tax evassion might be a crime in Europe and America but in Nigeria its common sense, My Football legend Messi is a tax evader, My Political Legend Jagaban of Africa was accused of evading tax, Baba Ijebu the lotto Legend evades tax ,Donald Trump my hated US president was accused of hiding tax details and prolly evaded tax, who am i not to evade tax

If you are truly a business man, there are other smart ways of legitimately evading tax. Just make the books balance, let your input vat exceed your output vat; then declare shortage and carry it over the next year. That way, you don't remit anything as your input exceeds output.

It's just one of the smarter ways...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by megama: 9:52am On Feb 02, 2020
valentineuwakwe:
As the implementation of the new 7.5 per cent Value Added Tax rate begins on Saturday (today ), the Federal Inland Revenue Service has warned businesses and individuals against tax evasion.
The Federal Government had said it would from today begin the implementation of the 7.5 per cent Value Added Tax.
The VAT increase which is meant to help government achieve its revenue projections for the 2020 budget is a part of the tax reforms included in the 2019 Finance Act .
With the Act , it is expected that there will be more revenue to finance key government projects especially in the areas of health, education and critical infrastructure.
Among the Finance Act strategic objectives is the supporting of micro , small and medium Enterprises in line with the ease of doing business reforms such as VAT threshold.
Speaking during a breakfast programme on the Nigerian Television Authority monitored by our correspondent , the Executive Chairman of the FIRS , Mohammed Nami, urged all businesses to ensure that they register with the FIRS for VAT purpose .
He said any business that failed to obey the tax law would face the wrath of the tax authorities.
He said, “ It’s your statutory responsibility whether you just registered today with Corporate Affairs Commission to come over to the Federal Inland Revenue to register as VAT agent. That is the first responsibility .

“The second responsibility is that you should keep good record of your transaction because if you don’t keep good records and eventually during the compliance process and monitoring process it is discovered that you have traded well above N25m , the taxes will be paid in arrears . ”
He said the VAT Act already exempts pharmaceuticals , educational items , and basic commodities.
Some of the basic food commodities according to Section 46, that were also excepted include brown and white bread; cereals including maize, rice, wheat , millet, barley and sorghum and fish of all kinds.
Others are flour and starch meals; fruits, nuts, pulses and vegetables of various kinds; roots such as yam, cocoyam, sweet and Irish potatoes; meat and poultry products including eggs ; milk ; salt and herbs of various kinds; and natural water and table water.
source: https://m.punchng.com/firs-warns-against-evasion-as-7-5-vat-begins-today
FIRS will also know that Nigerian gas right to question for the effect of the VAT collected on them. It is good to pay taxes but if those that colleted it and those that use it didn't show significant uses of it,Nigerians will held them responsible.

1 Like

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by demsy21(m): 10:26am On Feb 02, 2020
I beg of you, don't wish that. Make another wish that will not touch we the people. grin
Maxymilliano:
They will soon tax the country into oblivion.

Look at how long it took the government to implement the minimum wage, yet any additional burdens on the masses in the name increment is always quick to implement.

I wish corona virus visit these mad and 1diotic set of people.

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by walexbiz(m): 10:37am On Feb 02, 2020
Absolute rubbish, may God punish every member of NLC and TUC who collude and alluded to this rubbish. Most of the State government have not yet completed negotiation with their state congresses and yet FG is going ahead to implement VAT and the yeye NLC is keeping quiet and allowing them progress with the madness they call VAT increment. Even the consequential adjustment they implemented is rubbish not to talk of those who are yet yet to be paid.

Lastly its suffice to ask the Daura man to show us how much VAT him and his cattle breeders have paid to the FG ever since they have been engaging in cattle rearing since we now know that the lives of cattle is worthier than that of human because it is a source of revenue to the Fulani herders.
Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by walexbiz(m): 10:48am On Feb 02, 2020
solmus:
grin

People pay tax out of trust in Government and not because of any yeye threat.. who would be so dumb as an enterprenuer to remit the exact VAT as collected from customers, so that Hanah Buhari can waste it on Avaition fuel to use on Presidential Jet to snap pictures in Bauchi, National Assembly can renovate a small Assembly complex with whooping 37billion naira or $100 million USD

55% of Nigeria’s VAT is collected in Lagos State. 20% in FCT, 6% in Rivers, 5% in Kano, 1% in Kaduna. Buhari's State Katsina dont pay VAT but earn from VAT revenue, Mohammed Nami's State doesnt pay VAT yet he is the Head of the Agency collecting VAT

as a business man, i will source my own dollars from Habokkii that Northern government gives at discounted rate, i will personally negotiate my trade with China without help from Ministry of Trade and Investment, if the chinesse trader doesnt scam me of my money since Nigerian government has no escrow system, i'll use my money to ship and pay custom duty, after that i will now sell the goods at the shop i rented on my own and now be foolish enough to give Mohammed Nami and Buhari a whooping 7.5% of my sales after my hustle , wey me self never make 3% profit after tax

May God bless you, its like you spoke my mind. I will continue advocate for Nigerians to avoid paying tax whenever the opportunity present itself. The president should prove to us how much he has been paying as tax since he has started cattle breeding business. Those who lead must lead from the front. The president and his family cannot be evading tax and expect ordinary Nigerians whom they have made their live miserable to cough out money so that they can send their wards to foreign university, treat their family in foreign hospital, display treachery when paying minimum wage and above all don't give a damn about tax payers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by favinvest: 11:05am On Feb 02, 2020
Sometimes when I see a family man earning less than 40k per mth, just wonder how is his family surviving in Lagos, Abuja or PH?

With this 7.5% VAT, dont u think that family has just gotten a step closer to hell?
Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by Alwaysachick: 11:46am On Feb 02, 2020
Robbing Peter to pay Paul
Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by AmTruth: 11:49am On Feb 02, 2020
God bless Nigeria.
Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by bergs2: 12:20pm On Feb 02, 2020
Harder days ahead.
Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by ivandragon: 12:47pm On Feb 02, 2020
The way the NAss was vibrating over this vat increase, some who don't believe it's leadership is a rubber stamp assemblage of inept cronies would have thought it would be resisted.

Alas, it was passed without a whimper when the time came.

To those saying some items are exempt, do not kid yourselves.

Those who produce those exempted items still shop in the same market for those items not exempted. So one way or another, ALL items will still suffer the same price increase.
Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by Okoroawusa: 1:14pm On Feb 02, 2020
yanabasee:

What is stopping the FG from regulating prices of goods in Nigeria!?
Which school did you attend?
Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by Okoroawusa: 1:14pm On Feb 02, 2020
bergs2:
Harder days ahead.
For you
Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by Okoroawusa: 1:18pm On Feb 02, 2020
solmus:
grin

I
Your ignorance about VAT is bae
Re: FIRS Warns Against Evasion As 7.5% VAT Begins by chalxdon(m): 1:45pm On Feb 02, 2020
dominique:
So it has not even been officially added and prices of stuff have started going up. FG should also warn manufacturers and importers against overinflation of prices of their products but they don't care if the struggling citizens are being milked dry.
It should be the other way round. Prices of goods are meant to come down because such items are exempted from VAT

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ban Air France From Nigeria Now! / CBN Revokes Operational Licenses Of 4,173 Bdcs / OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.