Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,791 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:17 AM

Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) (139221 Views)

List Of States Where Okada And Keke Are Banned Or Restricted / Okada And Keke Ban In Lagos: How Is It In Your Area? / Man Killed By Okada In Anambra Few Days To Okada Ban - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by egopersonified(f): 2:32pm On Feb 02, 2020
Everyone keeps mentioning that the government has not provided jobs. Its not the place of the government to provide jobs or adequate means of transportation. That is the job of the private sector. Bikes and keke are part of that private sector. If they are banned, the private sector should come up with other means of transportation the way uber, oride and brt were born.

Dangote is building a refinery, what stops another private individual from building a subway in Lagos. We all prefer to stash our money abroad and on real estates only. And I am not even talking of our politicians here.

What the government needs to do is make our roads motorable, provide traffic lights or wardens and avoid double or over taxation of commercial transport system.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by Horlatunjeee: 2:32pm On Feb 02, 2020
TheMan3:

Dont put beauty of the state before humanity.

God will over bless u
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by Neurotika: 2:34pm On Feb 02, 2020
It’s a lazy and ill timed policy. We talking of a city with one of the highest population density in the world and one of the highest income inequality. In a hell like this, transportation will normally be a problem.

Questions should normally be asked. Why is there a massive proliferation of these bikes in the state, why are they in huge demand? The obvious answer will point to the failure of the transportation system. Yet the root cause isn’t been tackled but the symptoms of a disease.

Ban it If you like but It’ll take a while to realize that the policy will be counterproductive in the long run if the right things aren't done.

Even with alternative transport systems, the traffic situation is already unbearable.

It’s this same Government that are encouraging the ‘car sharing' idea in a bid to reduce the cars on the road to reduce the traffic. Yet still wake up one day and eliminate the alternatives, which will definitely increase the number of cars plying these roads. Add that to an explosive population density and you get a perfect description of hell.

Just last year Economic Intelligence Unit ranked Lagos the most dangerous/worst city to live in using basically four parameters - digital security, health, infrastructure and personal security.

Government aren't addressing these basic parameters but are concerned with 'okadas taking over lagos'. They're not concerned with the tanker drivers who has turned lagos roads to a permanent residence. Their business isn't even directed at the activities of 'agberos', NURTW etc equally contributing to the upsurge in traffic and crime rates. Even their agencies, LASTMA and the likes equally share blames in these too but it's not anyone's business.

People should focus on real issues not riding on bandwagon to give disproportionate weight to trivial issues.

3 Likes

Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by Pidginwhisper: 2:40pm On Feb 02, 2020
AuroraB:
...stop quoting me then sad
You wish grin grin. Pack come kiss kiss
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by Nobody: 2:41pm On Feb 02, 2020
Pascaldebravoo:

You are so reasonable—perfectly on point.

thank you.
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by Nobody: 2:46pm On Feb 02, 2020
AngryIgboMan:
Who Would Believe That Ikeja Under Bridge Can Ever Be Decent Like These Pictures?

I was at Ikeja today and have never seen Ikeja organized like this! On a hot afternoon! If you know these place, its hell from morning till night courtesy of keke and Okada drivers!

Thanks to Sanwo Olu... You are the real MPV!

God bless you sir.

Let the world see and know that Lagos is working again
simply because u av a car. What of those without personal means of transportation?
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by AuroraB(f): 2:53pm On Feb 02, 2020
Pidginwhisper:
You wish grin grin. Pack come kiss kiss
...naa...you are coming first tongue
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by Cannicus: 2:55pm On Feb 02, 2020
sisisioge:

Daddy, I was gentle trying to tell you that the times have changed...that same stretch is not practical for a young woman that works and resume by 8am in Lekki to trek every time she goes or comes back from work. She would have to set out by 4am to walk the 1 hr trek to Ojota , then join her bus to meet up at work by 8am. Also, the taxis are still there but expensive plus they aren't just enough for the no of passengers available to take them. They should provide an alternate means of transportation for us biko.

Car pooling to the rescue.

Setting out that early has not really been safe from the get go anyways. From kidnappers to one chance robbers.

I think taxify has an option for making multiple stops. 4 people can meet at a bus stop, book a ride, share the cost and drop at their individual destinations.

QED.
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by Starz825(m): 2:57pm On Feb 02, 2020
GANAYAD:
I hope the crime rate in Lagos doesn't increase now
I pity both the rich and the poor...Dem go hear ween..
You took a source of income of a family from them and u think they won't go into crime
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by Maduawuchukwu(m): 2:59pm On Feb 02, 2020
ProWalker:
Lagos is tired of taking off the burden of 35 other states and the governors

Only 700,000 people out of 4.5m taxable adults pay taxes in Lagos state. 2% of the population carrying the burden of 20m people. You want roads, healthcare, housing, rail then again Lagos must create alternatives which includes shelter and employment for people who troop in daily

Lagos does not have the power to "regulate" the number of people coming into Lagos from the other states. Every Nigerian can go wherever he or she likes within Nigeria.
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by pymseun: 3:03pm On Feb 02, 2020
Y are u guys like this, am a graduate working with Michelin tyres back then. This government pushed the company out of business...now am working with Opay as an Orider. This same government now want to ban okada again. Where do u want people like me to start from again. We leave in a room with two kids,

2 Likes

Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by Obynolee(f): 3:06pm On Feb 02, 2020
AngryIgboMan:
These keke people were a total and complete Nuisance. They constituted a whole lot of mess in Lagos.

Does Okada ride in Tokyo, Japan, Beijing, Berlin or New York?

Even, is Okada in Onitsha? Why would Okada be allowed in Ikeja the seat of government?

For those saying crime rate will increase, thats unless Lagos state government is clueless and stuppid. Sanwo Olu is smart though as far as I know and a very hardworking governor. You can deny this if you want... But the heavy volume of work going on Lagos roads speaks for itself.

Obiano the drunkard (My state Governor Onye Onwu Nkwu) banned Okada in Anambra. Did heavens fall? Rochas even went to the extent of banning keke in the entire state. Did crime rate increase? Was okada not banned in Nnewi even with the rate of billionaire Okada importers from that axis? Did anybody die?

What most of you don't know is that Nigeriens, Chadians, Sudanese, Malians and Somalians took over South West without anybody knowing! It was gradual, crude and definite.... But they were almost succeeding before I believe Sanwo Olu stepped in. At a time, I was asking myself if there is no regulatory body managing these people in Lagos anymore.

They virtually took over Lagos with there stuppid, crazy and mannerless style of driving. They felt like Lords of the city and if you try to caution them, they will bow there heads in foolishness to thank you. But in there hearts, they were calling you Mumu after scratching your car.

What is Keke doing in Victoria Island the financial and industrial hub of Lagos? Who even brought this useless and worthless contraption called Keke to Nigeria? India that manufactures these nonsense made moves to regulate them.

Google Indian roads and see how organized keke driving is. But in Lagos, its madness! They will keep on creating multiple lanes that cause traffic, scratching peoples car with no mercy, hitting pedestrians with reckless abandon while using there Okada and useless keke to rob at night!

I ask again, is Lagos no longer a city? Why is there no Okada in Tokyo, Japan, Beijing, Berlin, Stuttgart, Dubai, Osaka, Chicago or New York?

Sanwo Olu if you are reading this, its not much about making these laws. Its about enacting and enforcing these laws! Enforce the ban and see sanity return to Lagos! But do make available more organized and well tailored Public system of transportation and movement! If Eastern Governors banned Keke and Okada and heavens did not fall, NOTHING DO YOU.

cc

NB

By the way if you are a Lagosian driver reading this be it commercial or private, please always be road disciplined when driving! Stick to your lane for crying out loud and stop maneuvering like a morron. All of us will get there. E.g is Oba Akran enroute Ikeja bridge. If you know you are climbing the bridge, stick to the left. If you are going under bridge, stick to the right! The mouth or entrance of the bridge can only take one car. Stop tail gating! Don't create multiple lanes and then try to merge at the mouth of the bridge. Thats very stuppid and morronic in my opinion. As you go to the mouth of the bridge to drag it with the rightful owners, you end up defeating the purpose for which you created the muliple lanes! More traffic build up and more hold up!

That aside and For those quoting me and saying "Why am I working and investing in Lagos and why not the East"... My answer is very simple.

Lagos gave my life some meaning that our five hopeless Eastern Governors never gave me. Infact, Sanwo Olus government has been so good to Mainland Lagos where I do busines. Why would I hate him? Why bite fingers that is trying to give my life a meaning? Infact, more of Gods blessings and protection on him as I believe he is taking Lagos to its original plan which in my opinion, AMBODE ABANDONED.

Try to be factual next time,okada was not banned in Nnewi,I stopped reading when I saw that.
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by Ghokes(m): 3:06pm On Feb 02, 2020
AngryIgboMan:
These keke people were a total and complete Nuisance. They constituted a whole lot of mess in Lagos.

Even, is Okada in Onitsha? Why would Okada be allowed in Ikeja the seat of government?

For those saying crime rate will increase, thats unless Lagos state government is clueless and stuppid. Sanwo Olu is smart though as far as I know and a very hardworking governor. You can deny this if you want... But the heavy volume of work going on Lagos roads speaks for itself.

Obiano the drunkard (My state Governor Onye Onwu Nkwu) banned Okada in Anambra. Did heavens fall? Rochas even went to the extent of banning keke in the entire state. Did crime rate increase? Was okada not banned in Nnewi even with the rate of billionaire Okada importers from that axis? Did anybody die?

What most of you don't know is that Nigeriens, Chadians, Sudanese, Malians and Somalians took over South West without anybody knowing! It was gradual, crude and definite.... But they were almost succeeding before I believe Sanwo Olu stepped in. At a time, I was asking myself if there is no regulatory body managing these people in Lagos anymore.

They virtually took over Lagos with there stuppid, crazy and mannerless style of driving. They felt like Lords of the city and if you try to caution them, they will bow there heads in foolishness to thank you. But in there hearts, they were calling you Mumu after scratching your car.

What is Keke doing in Victoria Island the financial and industrial hub of Lagos? Who even brought this useless and worthless contraption called Keke to Nigeria? India that manufactures these nonsense made moves to regulate them.

Google Indian roads and see how organized keke driving is. But in Lagos, its madness! They will keep on creating multiple lanes that cause traffic, scratching peoples car with no mercy, hitting pedestrians with reckless abandon while using there Okada and useless keke to rob at night!

I ask again, is Lagos no longer a city? Why is there no Okada in Tokyo, Japan, Beijing, Berlin, Stuttgart, Dubai, Osaka, Chicago or New York?

Sanwo Olu if you are reading this, its not much about making these laws. Its about enacting and enforcing these laws! Enforce the ban and see sanity return to Lagos! But do make available more organized and well tailored Public system of transportation and movement! If Eastern Governors banned Keke and Okada and heavens did not fall, NOTHING DO YOU.

cc

NB

By the way if you are a Lagosian driver reading this be it commercial or private, please always be road disciplined when driving! Stick to your lane for crying out loud and stop maneuvering like a morron. All of us will get there. E.g is Oba Akran enroute Ikeja bridge. If you know you are climbing the bridge, stick to the left. If you are going under bridge, stick to the right! The mouth or entrance of the bridge can only take one car. Stop tail gating! Don't create multiple lanes and then try to merge at the mouth of the bridge. Thats very stuppid and morronic in my opinion. As you go to the mouth of the bridge to drag it with the rightful owners, you end up defeating the purpose for which you created the muliple lanes! More traffic build up and more hold up!

That aside and For those quoting me and saying "Why am I working and investing in Lagos and why not the East"... My answer is very simple.

Lagos gave my life some meaning that our five hopeless Eastern Governors never gave me. Infact, Sanwo Olus government has been so good to Mainland Lagos where I do busines. Why would I hate him? Why bite fingers that is trying to give my life a meaning? Infact, more of Gods blessings and protection on him as I believe he is taking Lagos to its original plan which in my opinion, AMBODE ABANDONED.

This piece is without bias.
You have dealt with the facts already.
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by Obynolee(f): 3:07pm On Feb 02, 2020
AuroraB:
Don't worry naa undecided
Shebi them be nuisances
What have you and your government made them lipsrsealed

Most of those okadas are not Nigerians
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by BlackfireX: 3:11pm On Feb 02, 2020
LadySwitz:

Eshé. Dirty Lagos.

AngryIgboMan stay there and be writing epistle ontop another man's state must y'all live and hustle in Lagos? Come back to the east and set up your businesses. Come home and pay tax so that eastern governor of your state can use it to develop like Lagos.

That is why they are called developers.
If we check now you are not from Lagos, nor your family
Lagos is a slum , argue with your nose
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by kenzosky: 3:17pm On Feb 02, 2020
Though i'm not in support of the government taking away the source of survival from the bikes and keke drivers without first offering them an alternative,but i think this is a good development.
Too much tricycle and bikes runing around in a city constitute trash and pollution which further encourages insects,pests, mice, rats, pigeons, and flies all thriving Off of decomposing garbage.
Trash Clogs Drains. ...
Trash Pollutes Natural Resources.
Trash Turns Away Tourists.
Trash Lowers Property Value. ...
Trash Is a Safety Hazard. And not to talk about how those bandits from some parts of the nation are secretly executing their hidden evil plans in the south by killing, kidnapping, stealing etc all in the guise of a keke or a bike rider. Kudos to the Lagos government for this initiative.
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by Pidginwhisper: 3:18pm On Feb 02, 2020
AuroraB:
...naa...you are coming first tongue
Simple sturv. Send in the list cool
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by AuroraB(f): 3:38pm On Feb 02, 2020
Obynolee:

Most of those okadas are not Nigerians
...I agree. But, have they left? And, if they are still here, what's got them engaged
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by AuroraB(f): 3:39pm On Feb 02, 2020
Pidginwhisper:
Simple sturv. Send in the list cool
...I did. Already.
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by ProWalker: 3:42pm On Feb 02, 2020
Maduawuchukwu:

Lagos does not have the power to "regulate" the number of people coming into Lagos from the other states. Every Nigerian can go wherever he or she likes within Nigeria.

But Lagos can regulate the kind of thing you can do here. That is the essence of this okada nonsense ban which majority of Lagosians are ok with

1 Like

Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by TheAlchemist: 3:55pm On Feb 02, 2020
A policy that will surely favour mc oluomo and his boys. If you know you know
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by Nobody: 4:07pm On Feb 02, 2020
BlackfireX:
Still Lagos is a glorified slum.

QED
i agree
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by wisekings: 4:22pm On Feb 02, 2020
Initially I was against dis development but now... I support it will all my heart... Dis will chase back dis fulani rodents that has taken over the southwest gradually

1 Like

Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by Adabekee04(f): 4:25pm On Feb 02, 2020
You made a point but the facts here are void
[quote author=AngryIgboMan post=86300266]
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by Businessman1986(m): 4:26pm On Feb 02, 2020
pymseun:
Y are u guys like this, am a graduate working with Michelin tyres back then. This government pushed the company out of business...now am working with Opay as an Orider. This same government now want to ban okada again. Where do u want people like me to start from again. We leave in a room with two kids,

Why marry and procreate with your meager financials to start with?
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by kelly72: 4:29pm On Feb 02, 2020
TheMan3:
you guys make a mistake of putting beauty of environment as priority as against humanity. What happens to the families of the millions that has just been rendered jobless by this small move? Do you know how many children that will drop out of school because of this?

Let's have love of humanity in our hearts first before anything. Nobody will love to do okada or Keke work everyday if they have jobs.

If we are to compare Lagos with Tokyo and newyork, does Lagos have well organised subway system? Are there functional high speed trains? What about monorails and trams? Are there jobs? What about social security, access to credit and business support system?

Bottom line, before the government brings a policy that will in one swoop render over a million people jobless, they should ensure the society is working.

These people are trying against all odds to put food of their table, and the same government that destroyed the society is still the same one opposing them. This Is sad.

Oga, are you suggesting that we continue to allow the okada/keke commotion on Lagos roads? Haba!

In Owerri where I come from, they have been driven away, same for Onitsha and other Eastern cities. Bleep them all
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by ridbell01(m): 4:36pm On Feb 02, 2020
TheMan3:
you guys make a mistake of putting beauty of environment as priority as against humanity. What happens to the families of the millions that has just been rendered jobless by this small move? Do you know how many children that will drop out of school because of this?

Let's have love of humanity in our hearts first before anything. Nobody will love to do okada or Keke work everyday if they have jobs.

If we are to compare Lagos with Tokyo and newyork, does Lagos have well organised subway system? Are there functional high speed trains? What about monorails and trams? Are there jobs? What about social security, access to credit and business support system?

Bottom line, before the government brings a policy that will in one swoop render over a million people jobless, they should ensure the society is working.

These people are trying against all odds to put food of their table, and the same government that destroyed the society is still the same one opposing them. This Is sad.

you are making sense but I can categorically tell you that 80% of this okada riders are not Lagosian why people from other states want to vent their poverty on Lagos state? Even people from neighbouring countries come to Lagos to ride okada..
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by Obynolee(f): 4:39pm On Feb 02, 2020
AuroraB:
...I agree. But, have they left? And, if they are still here, what's got them engaged

They will surely leave as it's very difficult to engage in that level of crime without the backing of the locals.
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by LadySwitz: 4:41pm On Feb 02, 2020
BlackfireX:

That is why they are called developers.
If we check now you are not from Lagos, nor your family
Lagos is a slum , argue with your nose

What's this one yapping on about? Reading and comprehending properly isn't your forte o

1 Like

Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by BlackfireX: 4:49pm On Feb 02, 2020
LadySwitz:

What's this one yapping on about? Reading and comprehending properly isn't your forte o

Oponu afi forte ni
Re: Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) by sundayoluwatimi(m): 5:05pm On Feb 02, 2020
AngryIgboMan:

cc

NB

You're intelligence bottled in human flesh.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Can Anyone Tell Me How To Get A Nigerian Police Report? / Life In The Usa As A Student. / Diary Of A Nigerian Student living In Moscow, Russia.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.