Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,854 members, 7,802,738 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:25 PM

Intercultural Exchange Of Masquerade Videos - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Intercultural Exchange Of Masquerade Videos (1876 Views)

Olubadan And Traditional Chiefs Fight Over Masquerade Directive In Ibadan.Photos / Masquerade Falls Into A Drainage While Walking On The Road (VIDEO) / Photos Of A Weird Black Masquerade Spotted At A Festival In South East (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Intercultural Exchange Of Masquerade Videos by chimezieeze98: 3:52pm On Feb 03, 2020
Hello Nairalanders. Of late, I have been seeing some members create topics based on induction into their village age-grade and others post on other cultural activities like new-yam festival or masquerade festival. Such posts gladden my heart to read for I am a lover of African culture and nature; the pictures in the posts also show how beautiful and rich our diverse cultures in Nigeria are.

The only problem I have with those posts is that most data they provided were pictorial. Now, the pictures were beautiful I won’t deny; but art itself also encompasses music/poetry, dance/choreography etc.

I decided to create this topic to share some random amateur masquerade footages I have gotten over the years to help viewers have a feel on not only the pictorial view of an average masquerade festival; in my own case, in Igbo Land.

The mystique surrounding masquerades is one key African/Igbo cultural component that survived western influence. In Igbo land, it is generally believed that masquerades are spirits which spring from the soil, precisely, ant hills.

Though masquerade festival is observed everywhere in Igboland, the celebration and masquerades differ from community to community. Udi (Enugu state) which is where I am from has produced so many great masquerades which have their various functions and prestige within their individual community. Masquerades found in Udi include and not limited to Igaa, Ishi aziza and Inyi-agba-oku.

For example, Inyi-agba-oku masquerade is a wise masquerade and is known for “Igbuevu” which means speaking in proverbs and parables (through musical performances), to the awe and applauds from the audience.

Growing up, I used to watch Eyo masquerade of Lagos and kwagh-hir theatrical performers from Benue state (loved watching it on NTA that year) and Ada-Mmonwu masquerades to mention a few.

Please, I would love anyone of you viewers to also help in posting videos of masquerades of their own cultures; for I don’t intend this to be an Igbo only affair. Thank You.
Re: Intercultural Exchange Of Masquerade Videos by chimezieeze98: 3:55pm On Feb 03, 2020

1 Like

Re: Intercultural Exchange Of Masquerade Videos by chimezieeze98: 6:47pm On Feb 03, 2020
Re: Intercultural Exchange Of Masquerade Videos by chimezieeze98: 2:22pm On Feb 05, 2020
Re: Intercultural Exchange Of Masquerade Videos by ouigy99(m): 5:45pm On Feb 11, 2020
Re: Intercultural Exchange Of Masquerade Videos by ouigy99(m): 5:46pm On Feb 11, 2020
Re: Intercultural Exchange Of Masquerade Videos by ouigy99(m): 5:47pm On Feb 11, 2020
Re: Intercultural Exchange Of Masquerade Videos by chimezieeze98: 7:39pm On Feb 13, 2020
Re: Intercultural Exchange Of Masquerade Videos by chimezieeze98: 1:42am On Feb 24, 2020
Re: Intercultural Exchange Of Masquerade Videos by chimezieeze98: 1:44am On Feb 24, 2020
Re: Intercultural Exchange Of Masquerade Videos by chimezieeze98: 2:42pm On Feb 25, 2020
Re: Intercultural Exchange Of Masquerade Videos by chimezieeze98: 2:44pm On Feb 25, 2020
Re: Intercultural Exchange Of Masquerade Videos by FARA4GA: 11:28pm On Dec 06, 2021
Re: Intercultural Exchange Of Masquerade Videos by TA4TA4: 5:13pm On Jun 08, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vFPgAZN9Jg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex__6LcJr8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK8vHw6Cj8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3SfRRFvVaI

Chai.... I am always excited when masquerade festival in my village is fast approaching.... Indeed culture is sweet

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Here I Come / Happy New Year 2016 Images And Pictures / Igbo Museum Collection...facts You Don't Know About Anyanwu (igbo Sun-god)-(pt1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.