Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? (41463 Views)

Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Gjc123(m): 9:17am On Feb 04, 2020
Congratulations bro
A 2.2 is not that bad but u need strong connection to get a job in the labour market
Even those with first class are yes to find a job
Instead of looking for a job with ur 2.2, learn a skill and create ur job

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by psalmsmiles(m): 9:20am On Feb 04, 2020
Shibaraba:
2.2 na mad grade. In the sense that you wey you nearly read die plus person wey just dey play upandan. Dey the same grade. 3.49 and 2.51 all na the same 2.2.

Op be of good cheer. If I had known I wouldn't have wasted my time reading like a mad man. Upon my first class I no dey use am. As I find work e no come, I enter street. And the street bowed to my will.
Shirbaraba my man. I go like make we meet one day. U na sabi man

3 Likes

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by fynn12(f): 9:22am On Feb 04, 2020
Maverickking1:
Lol, so people still depend on the labor market? My guy no look that side at all cuz u no go like am. E beta make you learn 1 or 2 skills and become an entrepreneur. First class gees dey do farming work as I dey folo you talk.

Only if he knows. grin
Maverickking1:
Lol, so people still depend on the labor market? My guy no look that side at all cuz u no go like am. E beta make you learn 1 or 2 skills and become an entrepreneur. First class gees dey do farming work as I dey folo you talk.

Only if he knows.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Chidex50(m): 9:23am On Feb 04, 2020
My brother just find a way to do some IT Courses. As I tell you,I've worked in different companies and no one has ever asked about my Certificate up till now. Grace!

3 Likes

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by lottomkyes200: 9:25am On Feb 04, 2020
It's only bad to the degree to which you think you are.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Olayinkaji(m): 9:27am On Feb 04, 2020
Just keep doing your best, pray and acquire certification skills or certificates depending on your line of work. I graduated with a 2-2 too even not near the 3.5gpa, but glory to God I got a job immediately my NYSC. Even the first class is still looking for jobs outside. Just do your best. Cheers

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by PrimadonnaO(f): 9:31am On Feb 04, 2020
Kingrexyl:
Do you even practice what you preach

What do I preach? cheesy
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Tee23(m): 9:32am On Feb 04, 2020
your degree has just a little role to play in the labour market. once you hit any interview no matter the class, they will pick you. Again the big firms don't really look into your papers all you need do, is to know someone that knows the MD that's all
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Maverickking1(m): 9:33am On Feb 04, 2020
fynn12:

Only if he knows. grin

Only if he knows.

Abi. Good morning.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by desam20: 9:37am On Feb 04, 2020
my brother always thank God for your result,what matter in labor market is favor/grace of God is not by merit

thank me later .you must get your dream job soon.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Durotimi20: 9:38am On Feb 04, 2020
My friend don't let what many carry into their heads and get them down affect you too. I graduated with same grade and working with multinational company in fact second one.
What you need is:
God
What you can offer I.e any interview opportunity you are abke to show employer you are more than what is on the paper(2.2)
Believe in yourself.

I assured you, you will be fine
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Iamhappy: 9:39am On Feb 04, 2020
Ogbeni that shouldn’t kill u oh I graduated with a 3rd class quit a banking job to learn a skill n I am doing well for myself n more over government job still sure for u. Welcome to naija
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by EncourageMe: 9:40am On Feb 04, 2020
McCoy662:
Good evening my good people. Our result just came out today and my worst imagination has happened. I saw my name in 2:2 division, what I have always tried to avoid since my year 1. I know it's my project supervisor that fvcked me up cause he has been hostile to me for no reason. I feel really bad, but that did has been done.

So, I just want to know how bad is 2:2 in Nigerian market? Is it something to count on or should I just move on like I never went to the university??

I need answers please!!
LET ME TELL YOU THE TRUTH BOLDLY MY BROTHER, IT IS NEVER BY GRADE, IT IS PURELY BY GRACE... I CAN COUNT 10 NIGERIAN BILLIONAIRES WHO MADE 3RD CLASS AND STILL MADE THEIR MONEY GENUINELY AND SUCCESSFULLY... GRACE + DETERMINATION EQUAL TO SUCCESS. Even me that is replying you right from my office computer made 2.2 in Electrical engineering, Since I finished NYSC in 2010, i had never run out of Job, the company i served retained me before i resigned by my self to resume work in another multi national company with bigger offer, When i was retained by my previous company, there were other corp members that schooled in abroad and came to Nigeria for service, we did our primary assignment together in that same company, they were never retained despite their lobby for it, I was the only corper that was retained as Design engineer, what do i know? it was just GRACE... I will advice you to go and serve God and take God first in anything as stated in Mathew 6 vs 33, That was what i did. God will help you.

3 Likes

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Karac: 9:41am On Feb 04, 2020
biafraisdead:

Can u be sincere with this question? Were u fornicating in school? Be sincere, I asked this for a reason.

Your ancestors must be embarrassed of you right now... That's if you didn't inherit your stupidity from them. Mumu
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by medolab90(m): 9:41am On Feb 04, 2020
Maverickking1:
Talking of skills, what skills do you think one can engage in or learn ?
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by zezinando(m): 9:52am On Feb 04, 2020
It shock u to know that high grades doesn't guarantee u anything in Nigeria ds days, I graduated in 2014 with 2:2... I worked in a micro finance bank where I was earning 22k..i decided to quit in 2016 after so much stress and I started business... Right now I own an online store that delivers nationwide, right now I have 3 people that work for me and I pay them.. It's not about the grades anymore.. May God see yu thru

2 Likes

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Farki: 9:54am On Feb 04, 2020
Maverickking1:

Correct guy, I know someone who paid his school fees and bought car through farming, another is into clothes designing and he's always looking peng. Me I'm going to take up another side hustle after school.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Kingstanding: 9:57am On Feb 04, 2020
McCoy662:
I never did bro. Honestly, the worst has happened to me. I've maintained cgpa of over 3.5 for 3 years and this last lap just brought me tears
. With your 2.2 you can get good job.Late Gani Fawehinmi graduated with third class but when he was alive no first class law graduate can compete with him. Education is not about grade but it's about what you get upstairs or what you can contribute. A 2.2 students in Nigeria university will have first class from UK University. One thing I know is that 85% Nigeria tertiary lecturers are wicked than devil.May God pave a way for you where there is no way.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by medolab90(m): 9:58am On Feb 04, 2020
Kingrexyl:
Even me my 2.1 cert is just useless because I threw the certificate under my bed, I will advice you to do the same and hustle, learn a skill just learn anything, with what I'm doing I earn $100 plus daily trading and am not talking about my other streams of incomes, the truth is that even if am working in a good firm I can never make what am earning right now, I'm fully independent and I've employed 5 people so far and I plan on employing more if my business expands, so I'm telling you to never rely on that cert, go and hustle.

What skills do you suggest one learns?
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by frozen70(f): 10:04am On Feb 04, 2020
McCoy662:
Good evening my good people. Our result just came out today and my worst imagination has happened. I saw my name in 2:2 division, what I have always tried to avoid since my year 1. I know it's my project supervisor that fvcked me up cause he has been hostile to me for no reason. I feel really bad, but that did has been done.

So, I just want to know how bad is 2:2 in Nigerian market? Is it something to count on or should I just move on like I never went to the university??

I need answers please!!

I don't know why you are bothered about it

Your project supervisor scores is not enough to place you there

Your grade is OK and it f you think it's not OK, go for your masters
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Nobody: 10:06am On Feb 04, 2020
as bad as first class in nigeria
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by medolab90(m): 10:08am On Feb 04, 2020
Illuminate01:

2:2 is just a grade, what you make out of your life is what matters,back it up with a professional qualification,believe in yourself,be on the Lords side and on the side get a skill. Meet you at the top.

Nice write up. By the way what skills do you think one can engage in ??.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by anonymous1759(m): 10:26am On Feb 04, 2020
biafraisdead:

Can u be sincere with this question? Were u fornicating in school? Be sincere, I asked this for a reason.

Dumb question.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by mokt(m): 10:31am On Feb 04, 2020
iHart:
With abroad masters, you will still come home and drag jobs with BSc holders.

At least the 2.2 will be irrelevant then
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by farady(m): 10:34am On Feb 04, 2020
Congratulations that you graduated from the university! Again congrats on your grade 2:2. Irrespective of what happened, it's immaterial right now; so long as your conscience is convinced that you put in your best. Therefore put all that behind you and strategise on how to succeed in life.

A number of factors will be at play here. First you must anchor your trust in God and be close to him. Look at the bible; Ecc 9:11 (NLT version) says "I have observed something else under the sun. The fastest runner doesn’t always win the race, and the strongest warrior doesn’t always win the battle. The wise sometimes go hungry, and the skillful are not necessarily wealthy. And those who are educated don’t always lead successful lives. It is all decided by chance, by being in the right place at the right time."

When you ponder on the above scripture, you will realise that even with a First class or "powerful 2:1" cheesy, things fit hard person and vise versa with someone who has a pass degree!

So very positive, learn skills, get certifications , learn some online trading stuff that bring coins (money) every week, applying to any opening, be diligent in any little assignment that comes your way and be ready, because ".......it is all decided by chance, by being in the right place at the right time"

I wish you the very best in your endervours. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Pstsam0408(m): 10:34am On Feb 04, 2020
2:2 doesn't matter. Prof Wole Soyinka has 3rd class.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by dHARKS(m): 10:35am On Feb 04, 2020
McCoy662:

I need answers please!!

To be honest, your CGPA only matters if you are applying to a company as a graduate trainee or any other entry-level role. I would suggest that you build capacity. I have worked as a software developer in a few companies to date and believe me the last thing they ask me is my CGPA, In fact, most of them only ask me for my statement of result and other documents after I had been given a offer letter. My advice is that you build capacity and companies will seek after you regardless of what you graduated with.

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by femarse: 10:41am On Feb 04, 2020
McCoy662:

I need answers please!!

Majority of the people here have all misled you , first of all, don't ever look at the people who commented that education is a waste of time , it is not , it will never be, most important thing is u have gotten education and u stand a better chance of changing your life,

Secondly don't ever listen to to people who tell you your grade does not matter anymore in this life , it is the biggest lie those that fail with education has used to console themselves, coming out with first class or second class upper can immediately land u in the promise land faster than any other means u may know of in this life, so if u failed to meet this target, dont blame the system, first of all blame yourself for missing this important ticket cos now what it means is u have to go throu the hard way, coming out with first class or second class upper means u have 2 years after graduation to get into one of this choice companies everyone dream to be in, not getting either of the grades means u join the crowd to either look for govt job or all this low paying job ,but if u are smart , u already know that ICT is the way to go, get any of this crowded job , save some money, get your ict equipment and start the tough journey of making some cool FCY, trust me , its sweet to say but difficult to achieve and i tell you , u will almost give up , but if it is trade or skill u can learn ...to add to the work u can get or if it is ICT ....either way , u have just find urself where u will need to be extremely smart to succeed, just like they are making noise in the comment above, note that u are not the only one who is goin to learn ict or trade or skill , u are going there to compete for the same market that already has millions of competition,

just look at your option and choose wisely, u might be lucky , and it might take time, either way , don't cry over spoilt mik , gather your pity and turn them to ambition

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Respect55(m): 10:52am On Feb 04, 2020
Even first class no get job.
But if u get connect, u go work with a pass.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Ebenezar2020(m): 10:54am On Feb 04, 2020
McCoy662:
I never did bro. Honestly, the worst has happened to me. I've maintained cgpa of over 3.5 for 3 years and this last lap just brought me tears
even a gp of 3.9 from 100 level to 300 level still isn't safe cos loads of credit units are being attached to project and if ur project supervisor grades u a 'C' then believe u me ur 3.9 GP will sink to 2:2.
so that's why I always advised student to aim for the highest.
nevertheless ur 2:2 with God's grace will see u through.
congrats for graduating and coming out successful and alive
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Ebenezar2020(m): 10:56am On Feb 04, 2020
[s]
Maverickking1:
[/s] this uour mentality is very awkward and irritating.
you're really someone that isn't exposed.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by harsysky(m): 10:56am On Feb 04, 2020
hidhrhis:
I finished with 2nd class lower 3.44 about to go for service 2020 batch b but I don't give a Bleep cos I've ventured into different business cos labour market sucks.
First class: they will tell u they can't pay you or the boss could deny u a job cos he finished with 3rd class
2nd class upper: they will tell u no vacancy or they employ 1 outta 100 2:1
2:2 they will tell u are low for their standard that they only want to employ First Class or 2:1
The process sucks as it mean I was given my school fees from primary school I swear I will be competing with adenuga or otedola by now but people believe education is the best legacy I also believe so but not in Nigeria

What is education? Eventhough I love the write-up you put up there, you still do not know what education is.

Do you know that a shop owner who had learnt trade from an Oga , is educated in the area of business. Education is power, not school.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Kim Ung-yong, The Man Who Scored The Highest IQ Ever As A Kid / Don Davis' Mum: If Anything Happens To My Children, I'll Hold Kumuyi Responsible / Federal University Otuoke In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.