Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? (41473 Views)

Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Topmaike007(m): 10:58am On Feb 04, 2020
McCoy662:
Good evening my good people. Our result just came out today and my worst imagination has happened. I saw my name in 2:2 division, what I have always tried to avoid since my year 1. I know it's my project supervisor that fvcked me up cause he has been hostile to me for no reason. I feel really bad, but that did has been done.

So, I just want to know how bad is 2:2 in Nigerian market? Is it something to count on or should I just move on like I never went to the university??

I need answers please!!
cheer up bro, nothing do you go learn better skill that's not too stressful and add your education to it and you're now a boss..

Mechanical farming, Electrical skill, mechanical skill, even you can learn trade yourself....

Do you know how much farmers earn now? Closing of border is a real blessings to us.

Even you can sell Things on online without having any goods?

Baba calm down jàre forget result and embrace life
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Barzinime(m): 10:58am On Feb 04, 2020
Just acquire an IT knowledge, look for the one you can cope with and how high the demand is.
Or just get a job even if pay is low at first just to boost your C.V as you grow in experience, future jobs wont require all those bullshit.
Thank me later wink
McCoy662:
Good evening my good people. Our result just came out today and my worst imagination has happened. I saw my name in 2:2 division, what I have always tried to avoid since my year 1. I know it's my project supervisor that fvcked me up cause he has been hostile to me for no reason. I feel really bad, but that did has been done.

So, I just want to know how bad is 2:2 in Nigerian market? Is it something to count on or should I just move on like I never went to the university??

I need answers please!!
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Ebenezar2020(m): 11:00am On Feb 04, 2020
NigeriaEngineer:
Oga stop asking about grades in school... even Ph.D holder are driving Dangote truck. Just have sometbing to offer the labour market and trust God for favour.
you well so?

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by RusselChu: 11:01am On Feb 04, 2020
[s]
Ebenezar2020:
you well so?
[/s]
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by RusselChu: 11:01am On Feb 04, 2020
[s]
Ebenezar2020:
this uour mentality is very awkward and irritating.
you're really someone that isn't exposed.
[/s]
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by RusselChu: 11:02am On Feb 04, 2020
[s]
Ebenezar2020:
even a gp of 3.9 from 100 level to 300 level still isn't safe cos loads of credit units are being attached to project and if ur project supervisor grades u a 'C' then believe u me ur 3.9 GP will sink to 2:2.
so that's why I always advised student to aim for the highest.
nevertheless ur 2:2 with God's grace will see u through.
congrats for graduating and coming out successful and alive
[/s]
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Ebenezar2020(m): 11:02am On Feb 04, 2020
Kekereekun123:
You would not be able to apply for most graduate trainee jobs of banks like access, fbn, gtb, stanbic etc. Where u could be on over 200 k entry salary. But they may consider you for bank teller, marketer, staff at igando branch etc. You will also not be able to apply for shell chevron and co. To audit firms like KPMG, delliote, pwc, EY. But baba silifa and co audit firm may take you. Guiness, nba and other will likely take you as contract staff not full staff. My advice to you is to learn ICT and have a long term plan. It will not be a smooth easy ride .
Shell, Chevron don't only accept first class and 2:1 as employees?
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Ebenezar2020(m): 11:03am On Feb 04, 2020
ariefadenning:

My brother! my brother!! my brother!!! How many times did I call you?

Paper qualification is almost useless irrespective of your grade in the market. What is of utmost importance is the skills you posess. Go get a computer and start developing yourself on some I.T skills. Their is no Job out here. Many first class and 2:1 graduates sell in Supermarkets.
Nairaland is really a bad terrain to share career issues here.
just look at the rubbish that is coming out of this one's mouth

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by RusselChu: 11:07am On Feb 04, 2020
[s]
Ebenezar2020:
[/s]
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by RusselChu: 11:08am On Feb 04, 2020
[s]
Ebenezar2020:
Shell, Chevron don't only accept first class and 2:1 as employees?
[/s]
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by LordIsaac(m): 11:09am On Feb 04, 2020
How can any sane man say first class does not matter? Please stop patronizing him. However, sir, although your chances are not much, but you still have a say.

2 Likes

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Kingrexyl(m): 11:11am On Feb 04, 2020
PrimadonnaO:

What do I preach? cheesy
You always portray yourself as a good girl here, I hope you are the same in the real world if not ehn...

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Nobody: 11:11am On Feb 04, 2020
Ebenezar2020:

You call it rubbish? Reality hasnt dawned on you. Keep believing. Employers are more interested in your deliverables than that A4 paper called certificate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Ebenezar2020(m): 11:11am On Feb 04, 2020
correctyourself:

You should be concern if you have the experience required for the job you want to apply for. There are a lot of advertised banking job for young graduates, preper yourself if you actually merit the 2:2.

Most students these days read/plan just to get 2.2/2.1 and not really to have the knowledge, and sees 2.1/2.2 as express to get job, which is far from that their ideal.

You only get to know the applicants capacity during interview with the 2.1/2.2
you're very right.
I used to cram and read all just to graduate with flying colors even when I had no practical knowledge of the course, graduated with a 2:1 and I later found myself messing up at work cos I didn't read to understand and apply all those concepts
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by RusselChu: 11:13am On Feb 04, 2020
[s]
Ebenezar2020:
you're very right.
I used to cram and read all just to graduate with flying colors even when I had no practical knowledge of the course, graduated with a 2:1 and I later found myself messing up at work cos I didn't read to understand and apply all those concepts
[/s]
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by VanTee20(m): 11:18am On Feb 04, 2020
Kekereekun123:
You would not be able to apply for most graduate trainee jobs of banks like access, fbn, gtb, stanbic etc. Where u could be on over 200 k entry salary. But they may consider you for bank teller, marketer, staff at igando branch etc. You will also not be able to apply for shell chevron and co. To audit firms like KPMG, delliote, pwc, EY. But baba silifa and co audit firm may take you. Guiness, nba and other will likely take you as contract staff not full staff. My advice to you is to learn ICT and have a long term plan. It will not be a smooth easy ride .

Those that have 2.1, how many of them have gotten graduate trainee jobs?

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by bullabong(m): 11:19am On Feb 04, 2020
McCoy662:

I need answers please!!
How bad is if you never developed yourself by aquiring a skill...There are limited jobs out there boy 2.2 is just a grade.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by ojaysam25(m): 11:25am On Feb 04, 2020
my guy that way don cast o,especially for this buhari regime....just go learn work nai sure pass
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by coputa(m): 11:25am On Feb 04, 2020
McCoy662:

I need answers please!!
Examination is never the true or accurate.text of ones knowledge.Wale soyinka had third class but lectures in Havard.
The emloyers always focus on what you have inside,life doesnt look at your grade either.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by OgogoroFreak(m): 11:46am On Feb 04, 2020
Remove your mind completely from being employed - That's the meaning of 2nd class lower division.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by grandstar(m): 11:52am On Feb 04, 2020
McCoy662:
I never did bro. Honestly, the worst has happened to me. I've maintained cgpa of over 3.5 for 3 years and this last lap just brought me tears

Whether you did or did not is between you and God. What's the self-righteous question for sef?

So sorry to learn of your lowered score.

Anyway, I believe success is anchored on these:

1. In the first 5 years of leaving school, don't be choosy about the jobs you take or the pay. That is the mistake most graduates make. Your job experience is far more important to employers than your 2.1. It may not even be experience directly related to what you studied.

I know of a guy who read estate management in Yaba Tech and did his NYSC in 1998. Upon finishing his NYSC, the estate firm he served retained him were they were paying him N6,000 monthly. I met him around 2007 in a bank in Victoria Island. He was now working for MTN and was buying BTA for his wife and kid who were travelling to the UK for holiday.

Many lawyers used to start out with 20k in the early 2000s in law firms. Within some years, they were working in corporate companies, some have become company secretaries or have even set up their own law firms. You need the first few years to lay a foundation.

2. Go for Masters. Not compulsory but it increases your chances. If you can go for Masters in Canada, you are allowed to stay for 3 years and gain experience. You can easily earn $100,000 a year if you picked a good course.

3. We live in the day of the internet. There are freelancing jobs you can do. These jobs can easily bring you 6 figure monthly incomes while working. It could even be 7 figure.

To succeed in freelancing, I'll advise you to learn a skill like video editing which is in high demand and pays well. Purpose is for you not to be stuck in a highly competitive and low paying skill. Anyway, even those that pay low can earn you over N100,000 monthly. Let's imagine you write 3 articles a day and earn $4 per article. That's $12 a day multiplied by 30 days and you have $360 which is N126,000. $4 is the least amount you can make writing articles on Fiverr.com. Other freelancing sites are Upwork.com, Guru.com and microworkers.com. I think Upwork pays best but Fiverr might actually bring business much faster.

What is important is always have a plan B in life. That's the mistake many of us make. I hope this article and was insightful helpful. My 2 cents

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by iHart(m): 11:52am On Feb 04, 2020
mokt:

At least the 2.2 will be irrelevant then
it will still not be. Because, hardly will you see a job offer requesting a minimum qualification of Masters. It is usually BSc.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by principi(m): 11:54am On Feb 04, 2020
Bro I finished with a 2:2 in 2016 in UNICAL. I got a job in an army school still waiting for Service. I left for Service in 2018 and I returned in July 2019. I got a job at a bank the following month. I resigned from the job last December to work at a better company. I had no body but God to put in a word for me in all these places.
It all depends on God's Grace and your ability to deliver.
Just have a positive and winning mindset. Even when you don't win, you will learn. I will be 25 by June this year.

BELIEVE!!!!!!!
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by femarse: 11:55am On Feb 04, 2020
EncourageMe:
LET ME TELL YOU THE TRUTH BOLDLY MY BROTHER, IT IS NEVER BY GRADE, IT IS PURELY BY GRACE... I CAN COUNT 10 NIGERIAN BILLIONAIRES WHO MADE 3RD CLASS AND STILL MADE THEIR MONEY GENUINELY AND SUCCESSFULLY... GRACE + DETERMINATION EQUAL TO SUCCESS. Even me that is replying you right from my office computer made 2.2 in Electrical engineering, Since I finished NYSC in 2010, i had never run out of Job, the company i served retained me before i resigned by my self to resume work in another multi national company with bigger offer, When i was retained by my previous company, there were other corp members that schooled in abroad and came to Nigeria for service, we did our primary assignment together in that same company, they were never retained despite their lobby for it, I was the only corper that was retained as Design engineer, what do i know? it was just GRACE... I will advice you to go and serve God and take God first in anything as stated in Mathew 6 vs 33, That was what i did. God will help you.
Imagine what u are spewing out ? 10 out of 200 million nigerians who are billionaire, been an engineering student , what ratio of success is that? going by that route u suggesting, u are lucky and u are probably good at what u do and u happens to be at the right place at the right time .....
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Kokaine(m): 11:55am On Feb 04, 2020
Maverickking1:
Lol, so people still depend on the labor market? My guy no look that side at all cuz u no go like am. E beta make you learn 1 or 2 skills and become an entrepreneur. First class gees dey do farming work as I dey folo you talk.
exactly my sentiment.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by elbulk(m): 11:56am On Feb 04, 2020
McCoy662:

I need answers please!!

Question is what can you offer. A 2:1 doesn't´t necessarily translate to better performance in the marketplace. Be particular about building yourself and you will go far.
Even the Zenith Bank MD has a HND in Accounting but he didn´t stop there nether did he let it limit him. He improved on his skills and qualifications. DO the same. People will always tell you trash. There are tons of 2:1 graduates still looking for jobs.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by pmoye(m): 12:01pm On Feb 04, 2020
Funny people everywhere.
When Nigerian students graduate with a First Class or a 2.1 grade, it's their doing. But when the graduate with a 2.2 or a Pass, a lecturer or the institution or Nigerian educational sector is responsible for that.

You become a man when you can own your own shi.t.

And no, a good grade might give you a good job placement and a near-decent start in life, but it is what you have to offer the society and your generation that determines who is king.
Ask yourself, how many professionals are the richest men in the world, Africa, Nigeria, or your state? Not many.
But why? Because the best a salary will do for you is to make you comfortable in mediocrity (called middle class). A good degree of necessity and financial pressure plus creativity and diligence is required to build wealth. And that has nothing to do with your degree. All you need to know in our world is how to write, how to read, how to navigate the information world, and then you have enough education to make it.

I never said it's going to be as easy as a walk in the park though.

I wish you the best bro.
By the way, I graduated with a first class at OAU years ago. And to build a decent life I had to abandon that degree and hussle like one without a degree. Good grades can actually be dangerously limiting. If you know, you know.

McCoy662:

I need answers please!!

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by grandstar(m): 12:02pm On Feb 04, 2020
DenreleDave:

I will rather believe that Islam is a religion of peace or Jesus is a Muslim than to believe that You, Shibaraba made first class or even 2nd class upper 2.1

Never

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by EncourageMe: 12:17pm On Feb 04, 2020
femarse:

Imagine what u are spewing out ? 10 out of 200 million nigerians who are billionaire, been an engineering student , what ratio of success is that? going by that route u suggesting, u are lucky and u are probably good at what u do and u happens to be at the right place at the right time .....
Firstly, who told you that the 200 million Nigerians are all educated, secondly, i only said i can count 10, i did not say we have only 10 second class lower billionaires, there is no statistics for that, is what i can count and the ones i kwn i am talking about, or you want me to quote what i do not know, try understand write up before you counter-attack someone. Again, is not by being in the right place at the right time, is by being good at what you do like you said at last. But I can never remove GRACE out of it. Another thing i forgot to add that has also helped me is CHARACTER. I writing a book on CHARACTER, the tittle is CHARACTER FIRST. The moment i publish it, i will contact you, bye.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Maverickking1(m): 12:29pm On Feb 04, 2020
Ebenezar2020:
this uour mentality is very awkward and irritating.
you're really someone that isn't exposed.

Oh really? By all means please enlighten me since you know a lot about what goes on in the society since buhari was elected.
Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by kurupt09: 12:50pm On Feb 04, 2020
McCoy662:

I need answers please!!

My Dear It simply shows that you are an average student .
And mind you you can always back your 2.2 up with so many certifications as much as you can lay your hands on as well as a Master in any degree of your choice .

Let me give a little story about myself .
During my school days i tried as much as not to come out with a 2.2 only for my H.O.D to give me my first and only F i had all through my years in the Institution.
I had to walk up to him to ask why, only for him to say i had a clean shit and needed to dent my results . Finally i finished had a 3.48
I knew how i cried when i left that office but a little thought came to me like a voice saying "its also your fault cause you didn't put in more effort and started flexing at a point in your life in school" so i smiled and swore never to be poor in my life since education has failed me .
After my service years i had to drop my degree and hustle like a jss3 drop out.( Yes JSS3 drop out ) and not allowning my degree define my life.
Now i own a company with employees of a mininium of 2.1 .
The first class are like sand in my company and you need to see how i make them tremble when i enter the office even with their degree and knowing they are older than i am cause they know they have no choice due to the job security in our society.

Note: i was never from a wealthy / Rich home but i had a vision and knew where im heading to.

So my beloved i can't even tell where my degree is now meanwhile , i have travelled to places where my best graduating student of my set in my institution could ever think of travelling to.

My dear hustle like a drop out and always put your hustle in prayers.
Allow the Supreme being perform his perfection in your life but don't relax like those with good grades .
Thanks

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? by Mrx101: 1:21pm On Feb 04, 2020
My brother, I came out with 2.2 but some of my olodo friends came out with sorted 2.1 and are still looking for job and most of them can't even defend the 2.1 or even 2.2. By the way our president don't even have waec and he is our president with all those Bsc,MSC,PHd,professorship etc in this country. Make you enter street before street go enter you. Mind you ,you are one your own . Nigeria have the needed market based on our population. What do you have passion for and how can it translate into money? Or worst think out side the box. Welcome to the reality as I wish you luck .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Landmark University Begins Rice Production (Photos) / Nigerian Female Lawyer And Her Father: Before And After Photos / Jerry Luck, The Pure Water Seller Paid A Visit To His Former Coursemates At EBSU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.