Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,424 members, 7,808,518 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:59 PM

Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 (25593 Views)

Former Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe Dies Aged 95 / BREAKING NEWS: Zimbabwe Ex-president Robert Mugabe Dies Aged 95 / Dawda Jawara Is Dead! The Gambia's Founding President Dies Aged 95 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 04, 2020
Former Kenyan President Daniel arap Moi, the country's longest serving leader, has died aged 95.

The death of Moi, who ruled Kenya from 1978 to 2002, was announced by President Uhuru Kenyatta in a statement carried by the state broadcaster on Tuesday.

"It is with profound sadness and sorrow that I announce the passing of a Great African Statesman, H.E. Daniel Toroitich arap Moi, the Second President of the Republic of Kenya," the announcement said.

"His Excellency the Former President passed on at the Nairobi Hospital on the early morning of this 4th February, 2020, in the presence of his family," it said.

Kenyatta ordered a period of national mourning until a state funeral is held, on a date not yet announced.

Moi had been in hospital for more than a month.

Al Jazeera's Catherine Soi reporting from Kakamega in western Kenya said opinion on how people will remember the former leader is divided.

"Some people say he started off well in his presidency. He kept the country relatively stable when neighbouring countries were in conflict. He was very passionate about education and built many schools. He was also passionate about the environment and oversaw many tree-planting projects," Soi said.

"Other people will say all that was overshadowed by his reign of terror, detention of political opponents. Several of them died during his time in office," she added.

24-year reign
Despite being called a dictator by critics, Moi enjoyed strong support from many Kenyans and was seen as a uniting figure when he took power after founding President Jomo Kenyatta died in office in 1978.

Some allies of the ailing Kenyatta, however, tried to change the constitution to prevent Moi, then the vice president, from automatically taking power upon Kenyatta's death.

Wary of any threat during that uncertain period, Moi fled his Rift Valley home when he heard of Kenyatta's death, returning only after receiving assurances of his safety.

"Nobody thought he was going to last long in power. He became president to fill in a gap," Lydia Muthuma, a historian at Technical University of Kenya, told Al Jazeera.

"But after an attempted coup in 1981, we saw Moi's true colours. He made sure we understood who was in charge. The news bulletins always started with what he did on the day. He was not a tolerant leader," she added.

In 1982, Moi's government pushed a constitutional amendment through Parliament that made Kenya effectively a one-party state. Later that year, the army quelled a coup attempt plotted by opposition members and some air force officers. At least 159 people were killed.

Moi's government then became more heavy-handed in dealing with dissent, according to a report by the government's Truth Justice and Reconciliation Commission that assessed his rule.

Political activists and others who dared oppose Moi's rule were routinely detained and tortured, the report said, noting unlawful detentions and assassinations, including the killing of a foreign affairs minister, Robert Ouko.

"The judiciary became an accomplice in the perpetuation of violations, while parliament was transformed into a puppet controlled by the heavy hand of the executive," the report said.

Corruption, especially the illegal allocation of land, became institutionalised, the report said, while economic power was centralized in the hands of a few.

In 1991, Moi yielded to demands for a multi-party state due to internal pressure, including a demonstration that year during which police killed more than 20 people, and external pressure from the West.

Multi-party elections in 1992 and 1997 were marred by political and ethnic violence that critics asserted were caused by the state.

By the time Moi left power in 2002, corruption had left Kenya's economy, the most developed in East Africa, with negative growth. Kenyans later voted for a new constitution that was implemented in 2010.

Moi often blamed the West for bad publicity and the economic hardships many Kenyans had to endure during his rule.

As with his predecessor, Kenyatta, many government projects, buildings and currency notes and coins were named after Moi.
Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/kenya-president-daniel-arap-moi-died-age-95-200204041905953.html

3 Likes

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by Betakeshi: 12:28pm On Feb 04, 2020
We all die

3 Likes

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by Mistaicey2288: 12:31pm On Feb 04, 2020
RIP.. But wait ooo, so this man ruled for a whole 24 years? So he actually started ruling 10 years before i was even born and was there up till when I was 14.. shocked.. Biko how long is a Presidential tenure in Kenya? shocked

14 Likes

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by Beyuponpin: 12:32pm On Feb 04, 2020
I honestly don't know who he is. Can someone enlighten?

4 Likes

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by Slawormir: 12:32pm On Feb 04, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
May his soul rest in peace
We were born to die
And death is only the beginning

XullySwt:
Niggarrr
You are everywr undecided
Damnnnnn

So you trying to say am like air

Your boyfriend must be a real niggarrr

Wait a minute. Damnnn
Just checked your profile and you are a slim beautiful girl

Damnn. I love slim women. I go crazy for them

But i can't request for your contact(phone number) because your boyfriend is a real niggarrr
And you know Real niggarrrz don't fuckkk with real niggarrrz

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by Yankiss(m): 12:32pm On Feb 04, 2020
Rest in peace, Daniel Arap Moi. For decades he bestrode Kenyan politics like a colossus. Nothing lasts for ever, truly. We will all be like that one day with only our good works to speak for us.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by SPLITS(f): 12:32pm On Feb 04, 2020
Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by DenreleDave(m): 12:32pm On Feb 04, 2020
MZrapper, isn't this ur step father from another mother so?

Look at the name, Arap and MZrapper, almost similar undecided

I even thought they mention moi moi

Guys watch out,

Denreledave wed MZrapper

Reception: Romanceland
Little bride: Petyprincess
Best man: Bigcowhorn/ EasternPrince

Sponsored by: Aro1 seangy4konji seanwilliam luminouz sexyjigga SaintHilary and Co.. My big brothers

Watch out, for this wedding, person wey go die go die aswear. Make una wear bulletproof and cutlass proof come oo..
Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by eedimo(m): 12:33pm On Feb 04, 2020
African RULERS and controversies!!!
...in the hands of God I commit his Soul.
Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by sigiyaya(m): 12:33pm On Feb 04, 2020
BUHARI BUHARI grin grin

1 Like

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by XullySwt(f): 12:33pm On Feb 04, 2020
Niggarrr
You are everywr undecided
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by one1prax(m): 12:33pm On Feb 04, 2020
RIP
Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by Jestin: 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2020
Endeavor to render all the good deeds while alive coz one day, this air we breath for free will become too expensive for us to purchase.
Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by CallMeDrino: 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2020
Beyuponpin:
I honestly don't know who he is. Can someone enlighten?

See question o

Dem talk say Kenyan former President you still dey ask him be angry angry

Really, Nigga really? undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by PlayerMeji: 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2020
Valar Morgulis

1 Like

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by lucky4west: 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2020
one of the African's sit-tight president...African leaders always want to rule for life
Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by Lexusgs430: 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2020
Buhari, take note........

Do what is right and leave a lasting legacy....... It was during Buhari's military/dictator regime usa banned us, he returned as a civilian president/dictator, we get banned again......

2 Likes

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by amiibaby(f): 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2020
Rip
Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by sonsomegrigbo: 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2020
RIP..

RIP to OJUKU TOO

1 Like

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by FuckDaMods: 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2020
If only one of our former head of state died, he won't get the chance to be causing us pains now.

This rice wey i dey chop sef.. It's Wasting my stew and my resources cos i have to be spitting everything out of my mouth. Too much stones.. cry

3 Likes

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by saracus(f): 12:35pm On Feb 04, 2020
Hmmmmmmm... Rip
Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by WandaNara: 12:35pm On Feb 04, 2020
The dullardinhó is next. AMEN

1 Like

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by neoclassical: 12:35pm On Feb 04, 2020
K
Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by emmabest2000(m): 12:35pm On Feb 04, 2020
Buhari right now..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by OgbanjeProphet: 12:35pm On Feb 04, 2020
Rest in peace to his soul...

Live well, live right. Because we are leaving this worldly shenanigans behind. If it's not today, it could be tomorrow. If it's not in this decade, it could be in the next decade. If it's not in this century, I must be in the next century.

At least nobody reading this quote will live to see the year 3030, including me and my grand children.

It's not a curse please, it's a fact. So live right.

Enjoy life, but not at the expense of others.

Stop boasting, for we are all dust.

Learn to live for others, so that on that day there would be something positive to be said about you.

5 Likes

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by omoadeleye(m): 12:35pm On Feb 04, 2020
African statesman or Kenyan statesman?

1 Like

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by chukwuibuipob: 12:36pm On Feb 04, 2020
embarassed
Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by thewatcher2020: 12:36pm On Feb 04, 2020
Democracy is a joke in Africa!

2 Likes

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by sodiqazeez01: 12:37pm On Feb 04, 2020
rip

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by olatunji390(m): 12:37pm On Feb 04, 2020
In Nigeria, former Presidents don't die

3 Likes

Re: Daniel Arap Moi Is Dead, Aged 95 by chukwuibuipob: 12:37pm On Feb 04, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
undecided NURUDEEN angry grin :Dis ur dumb Damnnnn niggarr u write always. Ur papa just buy u dvd wey u dey take watch Tv so undecided sad

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ukrainian Forces Recapture Trostyanets, Poltavka And Malyniv From Russian Forces / Strong Earthquake Hits Southeastern Taiwan ( Pics, Video) / Jerry Rawlings Death: Akufo-Addo Declares 7 Days Of National Mourning In Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.