Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,156 members, 7,807,523 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism (22882 Views)

Eintracht Frankfurt Troll Barcelona Despite Defeat To Bayern Munich / Barcelona Terminate Eric Abidal's Contract As Backroom Clear-out Continues / Messi Criticizes Eric Abidal For Saying Barca Players Don't Work Hard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by ogbiwa: 8:07am On Feb 06, 2020
Barcelona sporting director Eric Abidal is to keep his job at the club despite being criticised by star forward Lionel Messi.

Six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi spoke out against Abidal after he had said players were not working hard under former coach Ernesto Valverde.

Valverde was sacked in January and replaced by Quique Setien.

Barcelona called an emergency meeting with ex-France defender Abidal on Wednesday to discuss the issue.

After two hours of talks, it was decided the 40-year-old would remain in his role at the Nou Camp.

Abidal, a former team-mate of Messi, made the comments in an interview with Spanish newspaper Diario Sport.

But on Tuesday, 32-year-old Argentine Messi responded: "When you talk about players, you have to give names because if not, it gives air to things which are not true."

Valverde was sacked when Barcelona were top of La Liga.

In the newspaper interview, Abidal said: "Many players weren't satisfied or working hard and there was also an internal communication problem.

"The relationship between the coach and the dressing room has always been good, but there are things as an ex-player that I could smell. I told the club what I thought and we reached a decision [on Valverde]."

Messi then posted on social media: "Sincerely, I don't like to do these things but I think that people have to be responsible for their jobs and own their decisions.

"The players [are responsible] for what happens on the pitch and we are the first to admit when we haven't been good. The heads of the sports department have to take their responsibilities too and, above all, own the decisions they make."

In his interview with Diario Sport, Abidal also said he thought Messi was happy at the club and that a new contract for the Argentine was being negotiated.

Analysis
BBC Radio 5 Live Spanish football expert Guillem Balague

Barcelona had a difficult winter transfer window. They realised they needed a striker but, for different reasons, they couldn't get one.

With that in mind, and against the background of the sacking of the manager, there was a need for an explanation for what was going on - so the club forced Abidal to do an interview with two Catalan newspapers and he was extremely open.

It was the Sport one in particular that got Messi upset because Abidal suggested that the players were not happy under Valverde and did not work hard enough. It was suggested that it was the players who got him sacked.

In fact, Messi and goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen - another key player - actually backed Valverde, even though everybody realised that at some point a change was necessary because the dynamic was not positive and the club was looking for a replacement.

Messi responded very quickly to Abidal's interview because he felt the finger of blame was being pointed at him.

I think Messi is fed up by the accusations he dictates everything that happens at the club. He wanted Neymar to return and Valverde to stay, and those things did not happen.

His message was a way of pointing out that everyone at the club has to do their job better.

The chairman has spoken to Abidal and Messi to calm things down and say take it easy.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51391717

2 Likes

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by logon599: 8:08am On Feb 06, 2020
Wow I don't think this looks good anymore. Why is a director's job under threat because a star player criticized something he said? Admittedly Abidal was wrong criticizing his players publicly but that's not the main problem. The problem is that Barca have allowed Messi too much political power that is not healthy for the club. Former Barca captains and legends like Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta never had this level of control and things went smoothly. If Messi is the president of the club as well as a player then make it clear.

Need professional and affordable architectural designs? Or building construction? Kindly chat or call 0816 124 7898 and we won't disappoint. We've not disappointed hundreds of clients natiowide already.

82 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by Astark: 8:51am On Feb 06, 2020
logon599:
Wow I don't think this looks good anymore. Why is a director's job under threat because a star player criticized something he said? Admittedly Abidal was wrong criticizing his players publicly but that's not the main problem. The problem is that Barca have allowed Messi too much political power that is not healthy for the club. Former Barca captains and legends like Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta never had this level of control and things went smoothly. If Messi is the president of the club as well as a player then make it clear.
I know very much you are not a Barcelona fan, you are a rival fan that want Barca to fail and I understand how painful it is seeing Messi in Barca.

Ronaldo asked for a pay raise in Madrid and threaten to leave if his wish wasn't granted, Perez threw him out because he wasn't important and even gave his number 7 Jersey to another player.

That's the difference between a loyal and a merchandise, Messi is even more powerful than the club president because he was there when Barcelona was nothing (like arsenal) and help us to become the most valuable club and biggest club in the world.

If Messi was to leave Barcelona, trust me even la Liga would dropped, their sales on clothes and other deals will be seriously affected.

The fans(Barcelona has the highest of fans attending their match) will drop.

So don't dare compare Messi to other players

90 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by Astark: 8:56am On Feb 06, 2020
Imagine comparing someone that helped build a team to someone that runs when a season get tough and run to the biggest teams in each league.

Manchester United fans that always criticized Messi for staying in one club would have given their lives to see Messi playing in their club for ever grin.

Maybe if Ronaldo didn't leave them to play in a bigger club maybe they won't have been a banter club now

41 Likes

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by Barrsukatt: 1:31pm On Feb 06, 2020
Before nko? Na Messi own Barca ni?

5 Likes

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by mrkings84(m): 1:32pm On Feb 06, 2020
Gradually Messi is turning a demigod in Barca..... That won't be nice for the club!!

8 Likes

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by Sirheny007(m): 1:32pm On Feb 06, 2020
Fear the short man of Newells.
Fear Messi.
This is the same player whose fanatic fans eulogize for humility.

In reality, what the dwarf lacked in height he made up in hatred and jealousy.
He would think nothing of starting a mutiny.
I knew Abidal's job was in danger immediately Messi spoke.

Abidal should use his head anytime he blabs to the press.
Messi sacked Valverde; he could still sack him.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by Roon9(m): 1:33pm On Feb 06, 2020
HeS not afraid.
Critising the GOAT

3 Likes

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by money121(m): 1:34pm On Feb 06, 2020
Ok
Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by ClintonNzedimma(m): 1:34pm On Feb 06, 2020
Bartomeu out

1 Like

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by Mistaicey2288: 1:34pm On Feb 06, 2020
Before nko? So dem for sack am or e for resign because one Player who feels he's too big to be criticized in the club and sees himself as part of club owners or Management dey talk nonsense abi?

No Player can ever be bigger than or equal to his Club's team management. Messi should understand that and respect himself or go to some other place. Thank God Man City even want him now on a free Transfer... Iranu!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by lyriclekidd(m): 1:34pm On Feb 06, 2020
Good
Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by Bari22: 1:34pm On Feb 06, 2020
The midget should go to another club and prove himself, he's behaving like he own the club and can fire anybody he likes

9 Likes

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by Roon9(m): 1:34pm On Feb 06, 2020
Astark:
Imagine comparing someone that helped build a team to someone that runs when a season get tough and run to the biggest teams in each league.

Manchester United fans that always criticized Messi for staying in one club would have given their lives to see Messi playing in their club for ever grin.

Maybe if Ronaldo didn't leave them to play in a bigger club maybe they won't have been a banter club now

They said without Xavi and Iniesta he's nothing grin

call for our 380wh lithium-ion generator that could power your TV, laptop, and up to 4 lighting points for up to 10 hours daily.

11 Likes

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by NORSYK(m): 1:34pm On Feb 06, 2020
Messi is a great pretender, a sadist, a dissembler. He's a complainer. That's the reason why I like Ronaldo, he is very real man and says things the way they are.

Messi will definitely frustrate Abidal out of Barcelona, he's up to no good.
If you doubt me ask Valverde, Coutinho, Ibrahimovic

17 Likes

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by mujiboy(m): 1:34pm On Feb 06, 2020
Astark:
I know very much you are not a Barcelona fan, you are a rival fan that want Barca to fail and I understand how painful it is seeing Messi in Barca.

Ronaldo asked for a pay raise in Madrid and threaten to leave if his wish wasn't granted, Perez threw him out because he wasn't important and even gave his number 7 Jersey to another player.

That's the difference between a loyal and a merchandise, Messi is even more powerful than the club president because he was there when Barcelona was nothing (like arsenal) and help us to become the most valuable club and biggest club in the world.

If Messi was to leave Barcelona, trust me even la Liga would dropped, their sales on clothes and other deals will be seriously affected.

You don’t say Messi was there when the club was nothing, before Messi came, there was Ronaldinho and couple of excellent players that did their part to make the club move forward.
Thus,Messi should do his part and leave the rest.

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by Lamasta(m): 1:35pm On Feb 06, 2020
Abidal has come to stay it is Messi that will leave for Him grin A player that cannot take critisism is that one a world class player....

O R O R O people make una enter the thread lets stand with Abidal grin cool grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by iykololo(m): 1:35pm On Feb 06, 2020
Astark:

Bros you are a fucking liar

40 Likes

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by eluquenson(m): 1:35pm On Feb 06, 2020
Barcelona president is another nightmare Barca is facing.

Eric Abidal is not fit intellectually for that post likewise the president too.

2 Likes

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by Champneys: 1:35pm On Feb 06, 2020
Barcelona is finished!

1 Like

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by Astark: 1:36pm On Feb 06, 2020
Bari22:

The midget should go to another club
why should he leaves the biggest club in the world that he works hard to make?

I hope when you becomes a billionaire people will tell you to leave Your business and start somewhere else

16 Likes

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by olu122: 1:36pm On Feb 06, 2020
Messi cool
Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by IamMichaels: 1:36pm On Feb 06, 2020
Barca was doing well before Messi came in and not like Messi built the team so he should do his part and let the managers do their job. Simple

5 Likes

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by Jamesilvar(m): 1:38pm On Feb 06, 2020
People like pique will just be eyeing messi and the kind of influence he has grin.

But no footballer should be above the club hierarchy.
Barcelona needs to remember that one day messi will retire.

1 Like

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by FuckAllTheMODs: 1:38pm On Feb 06, 2020
Mumu Messi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by Jeromejnr(m): 1:38pm On Feb 06, 2020
Astark:

See blatant lie this guy just spilled here.

We know you are a sentimental Messi fan but dont give such lies about Ronaldo such as you gave up there.

Ahnahn..some Nigerians can arrogantly lie.

18 Likes

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by onadana: 1:38pm On Feb 06, 2020
Astark:

Just air your opinion and stop casting aspersions. Get your facts right,Ronaldo left not thrown out..OK. Mind you am not a Real Madrid fan.Your postulation about a huge club like Barcelona being nothing shows how naive you are.

12 Likes

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by Dayodragon: 1:38pm On Feb 06, 2020
I thought Messi said earlier he doesn't have a say in Barcelona, he's just a football player like others so how come his comment wants to lead to their director's sack?? He's exposed again. After the days of puyol, Xavi and iniesta as captain, Barcelona is now a joke in UCL..Maradona made this statement: Messi is not a team leader, Barca fans were like it's not true.. I hope they can still see that today.. With time it will be clear and they will admit the truth

7 Likes

Re: Eric Abidal Will Retain His Job At Barcelona Despite Messi Criticism by Astark: 1:38pm On Feb 06, 2020
mujiboy:

You don’t say Messi was there when the club was nothing, before Messi came, there was Ronaldoinho and couple of excellent players that has did their part to make the club move forward.
Thus,Messi should do his part and leave the rest.
first of all are you even a Barcelona fan?(you are likely not) then why are you so pained about this Barcelona issue?

Messi is one of the biggest brand in the world and the greatest player ever so Barca are ready to sack anyone to keep him happy.

Do you have any idea how many times Perez tried to sign Messi?

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Manchester City Has The Most Expensive Squad In Football History - CIES / Gernot Rohr Accepts NFF’s Contract, Conditions / Lionel Messi: Broken And Has Equalled 74 RECORDS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.