Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,102 members, 7,807,316 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:12 PM

Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor (15995 Views)

Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis / Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / Is Ugu Farming This Useless? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Adamma91(f): 2:21pm On Feb 28, 2020
Our new irrigation system, we have two sprayers now but it time and fuel consuming, any help about faster irrigation that can go with borehole, any suggestion pls.

Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Adamma91(f): 2:22pm On Feb 28, 2020
We tried to set it in four places but it was slow.
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by FarmTech(m): 12:33am On Feb 29, 2020
Adamma91:
Our new irrigation system, we have two sprayers now but it time and fuel consuming, any help about faster irrigation that can go with borehole, any suggestion pls.
What about drip? Or less efficient spray tubes.
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Adamma91(f): 4:12pm On Feb 29, 2020
FarmTech:

What about drip? Or less efficient spray tubes.
have you used spray tube before, if you have, how good is it, I have made enquiry on drip the cost is high.
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by OluchiDelly: 6:47pm On Feb 29, 2020
Adamma91:
have you used spray tube before, if you have, how good is it, I have made enquiry on drip the cost is high.
Drip may not work if your planting is not symmetrical/aligned.
What's your spacing like?
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Emmafly(m): 7:32pm On Feb 29, 2020
Adamma91:
We tried to set it in four places but it was slow.

Good Day @Adamma91 .
Am impressed with your first step but maybe your timing of planting Ugu without proper irrigation put in place is a bit risky due to lack of rain. I am a secret reading student of fluentinfor/pistotita who postulated that No Irrigation No Vegetable Farming.
Though your hand hose irrigation is better than none and as a starter you have really tried.
You have done the main work of ensuring the Ugu seeds sprout during this very dry season. it means you have really put in a whole lot of hard work.
I am a farmer but an intending Ugu farmer and I am currently understudying my mentor who has over 10 acres currently. but I intend planting towards the end of the year.
From my analysis, you and your mentor have gone so far. Only those that do not know about ugu farming will discourage you. Using drip for Ugu is not the way to go as a commercial farmer (Reasons best known to those on the field) but i will encourage you to use spray tube Irrigation in your next dry season planting adventure as this is the ideal Irrigation i have witnessed and experienced so far from an Ugu farm ( please I am not a consultant). This is also a bit costly in terms of installation for an average starter and that is why i am delaying my project till later in the year. Just be ready to smile because the March Rains is already by the corner and it seems you have really timed the market.
I will advice you concentrate on your farm rather than always come online as there is much work to do.
Also take note of the Rain Drought that will happen between April and May and start finding a solution right now so that you can maximize the market opportunity. Calling a plumber to run Pvc Pipes through the middle of the farm so you can fix your flexible hose easily and wet your farm can be an easy shortcut that will cost you less but need more labour effort. This should be your main Headache and not the irrigation of now because at that time, your Leaves have just started going to the market and you would not want sales quantity to drop significantly.
I humbly rest my case, while you enjoy your new money making adventure.
@Pistotita Follower.

3 Likes

Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Adamma91(f): 8:29pm On Feb 29, 2020
Emmafly:

Good Day @Adamma91 .
Am impressed with your first step but maybe your timing of planting Ugu without proper irrigation put in place is a bit risky due to lack of rain. I am a secret reading student of fluentinfor/pistotita who postulated that No Irrigation No Vegetable Farming.
Though your hand hose irrigation is better than none and as a starter you have really tried.
You have done the main work of ensuring the Ugu seeds sprout during this very dry season. it means you have really put in a whole lot of hard work.
I am a farmer but an intending Ugu farmer and I am currently understudying my mentor who has over 10 acres currently. but I intend planting towards the end of the year.
From my analysis, you and your mentor have gone so far. Only those that do not know about ugu farming will discourage you. Using drip for Ugu is not the way to go as a commercial farmer (Reasons best known to those on the field) but i will encourage you to use spray tube Irrigation in your next dry season planting adventure as this is the ideal Irrigation i have witnessed and experienced so far from an Ugu farm ( please I am not a consultant). This is also a bit costly in terms of installation for an average starter and that is why i am delaying my project till later in the year. Just be ready to smile because the March Rains is already by the corner and it seems you have really timed the market.
I will advice you concentrate on your farm rather than always come online as there is much work to do.
Also take note of the Rain Drought that will happen between April and May and start finding a solution right now so that you can maximize the market opportunity. Calling a plumber to run Pvc Pipes through the middle of the farm so you can fix your flexible hose easily and wet your farm can be an easy shortcut that will cost you less but need more labour effort. This should be your main Headache and not the irrigation of now because at that time, your Leaves have just started going to the market and you would not want sales quantity to drop significantly.
I humbly rest my case, while you enjoy your new money making adventure.
@Pistotita Follower.

thank you very much sir, I will like you to elaborate more about this flexible hose, like how do I go about it, though we will manage hose for this season because we already planted, that has been what my mentor has been using but I know with help of my fellow farmers here I will get a better and faster irrigation kits, I need one that is cost effective. Besides I come online anytime am less busy. Thank you once again.
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Adamma91(f): 8:34pm On Feb 29, 2020
OluchiDelly:

Drip may not work if your planting is not symmetrical/aligned.
What's your spacing like?
I know because we already planted but I want to have an idea and cost effective irrigation system come next dry season planting, for this season we will manage the hose. I want to know so I be fully prepared come next season, not carrying hose up and down though we have small sprinkler we use now but it is time consuming.

Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by noeloge82(m): 8:48pm On Feb 29, 2020
Adamma91:
I know because we already planted but I want to have an idea and cost effective irrigation system come next dry season planting, for this season we will manage the hose. I want to know so I be fully prepared come next season, not carrying hose up and down though we have small sprinkler we use now but it is time consuming.

You have really done well but I think spray tube will be more efficient for ugu , I suggest u talk to saliubello he is on Nairaland here u can send him mail for cost and video of how it works
saliubello2003@yahoo.com
Good luck
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Adamma91(f): 9:25pm On Feb 29, 2020
noeloge82:

You have really done well but I think spray tube will be more efficient for ugu , I suggest u talk to saliubello he is on Nairaland here u can send him mail for cost and video of how it works
saliubello2003@yahoo.com
Good luck
I already contacted him but he suggested drip which will cost #220k for one acre. I think it is in the high side, I can't afford that for now, perhaps I will try and see if I can get the spray tube at cheaper rate.
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by FarmTech(m): 9:57pm On Feb 29, 2020
Adamma91:
I've not used it b4 but I've seen a video of it in an ugu farm. Maybe u can manage the hose for now but connect it in such a way as to reduce the number of times u move it about. Do u pump direct from a sumo?
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Psalmy2cute(m): 10:06pm On Feb 29, 2020
Adamma91:
I already contacted him but he suggested drip which will cost #220k for one acre. I think it is in the high side, I can't afford that for now, perhaps I will try and see if I can get the spray tube at cheaper rate.
I think spray tube is more expensive compared to drip..spray tubes can be used for veggies like pepper tomatoes, If the bed Is mulched with plastic.. there is this Indonesian youtuber I've been following for sometime now.. that's what he recommends compared to drip tape..
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by noeloge82(m): 10:11pm On Feb 29, 2020
Adamma91:

Ok 220 is on d high side, if u can get spay tube at cheaper rate I think it will be better
Maybe u can also search for kalusam ask him for quotation of sprinkler for ur 1 acre so u can make comprising
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Adamma91(f): 3:08pm On Mar 01, 2020
noeloge82:

Ok 220 is on d high side, if u can get spay tube at cheaper rate I think it will be better
Maybe u can also search for kalusam ask him for quotation of sprinkler for ur 1 acre so u can make comprising
thank you sir
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Psalmy2cute(m): 3:12pm On Mar 01, 2020
Adamma91:
thank you sir
you can get an acre worth of drip equipment for less than 175k.. I think this is the cheapest you'll get anywhere
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Adamma91(f): 10:22pm On Mar 01, 2020
Psalmy2cute:

you can get an acre worth of drip equipment for less than 175k.. I think this is the cheapest you'll get anywhere
thanks
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by deking(m): 10:23pm On Mar 01, 2020
Psalmy2cute:

Can you share more details?
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Psalmy2cute(m): 10:25pm On Mar 01, 2020
deking:

Can you share more details?

dripline 4000m 120k
mainline 100m 30k
connectors 100 pieces 16k
endcap 100 pieces 6k

1 Like

Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by iamclime(m): 11:10pm On Mar 04, 2020
Well done, this is very commendable!
As for ugu seeds, there is a thread here on NL about the multiplication method. You don't need to spend that much for the seeds.
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Adamma91(f): 9:56am On Mar 05, 2020
K
iamclime:
Well done, this is very commendable!
As for ugu seeds, there is a thread here on NL about the multiplication method. You don't need to spend that much for the seeds.
, that is really stressful for me, I don't think I have that time, thanks for your concern sir
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by sidonlook: 8:17pm On Mar 07, 2020
Adamma91:
It one is one acre project, three plot each, money spend so far,
Clearing 28k
Ploughing 8k
It is very think bush with a lot of trees that was why the clearing price was on the high side
I appreciate your courage and I wish you success in this endeavor.
Is the costing above per acre or the two acres ?
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Adamma91(f): 10:43pm On Mar 07, 2020
sidonlook:

I appreciate your courage and I wish you success in this endeavor.
Is the costing above per acre or the two acres ?
the cost is for one acres, if you read from beginning u will notice I said that it was three plots for each person, me and my mentor, marking it one acre.
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by donquincy98(m): 6:53pm On Mar 08, 2020
Have you heard about rain gun? If yes, why are you not considering it?

Adamma91:
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by donquincy98(m): 7:00pm On Mar 08, 2020
Does the drip system need constant pumping machine for water or an overhead tank will do?

Psalmy2cute:

dripline 4000m 120k
mainline 100m 30k
connectors 100 pieces 16k
endcap 100 pieces 6k
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Psalmy2cute(m): 7:23pm On Mar 08, 2020
donquincy98:
Does the drip system need constant pumping machine for water or an overhead tank will do?

overhead tank will do,..
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by kunleweb: 9:45pm On Mar 08, 2020
Adamma91:

Nice work. You started amd you pushed it through.

1. Why didn't you make ridges for the ugwu?

2. What's the total number of seeds you bought?

3. What's the total number of seeds that sprouted?

4. Am i correct? 4,000 Naira per bucket. Each bucket 320 seeds. 12.5Naira average price per seed
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by kunleweb: 9:47pm On Mar 08, 2020
Adamma91:

Do not irrigate if you can get hired workers. Hired workers will weed and water the crops. Make a roll call, divide the farm in portions nd delegate.

The pipe layout method can be cheaper yet effective. Divide the area into three parts have pipes distibutee into the divided sections and then water the farm from the corresponding sections using hose connected to the pipes
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Adamma91(f): 7:15am On Mar 10, 2020
Wow, thank you sir
Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Adamma91(f): 7:21am On Mar 10, 2020
kunleweb:

Nice work. You started amd you pushed it through.

1. Why didn't you make ridges for the ugwu?

2. What's the total number of seeds you bought?

3. What's the total number of seeds that sprouted?

4. Am i correct? 4,000 Naira per bucket. Each bucket 320 seeds. 12.5Naira average price per seed
The land was ploughed two times, that is why we didnt bother to make ridges.
Number of seeds in a bucket was 317, we counted only one bucket.
For the numbers of seed sprouted we have not counted because some are still sprouting, but at least we have gotten 85% germination for now.

2 Likes

Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Adamma91(f): 3:13pm On Mar 10, 2020
Just three weeks and 2days now, everywhere weed. I just take one eye dey look this place, am wondering how many times we gonna weed before the year ends.

1 Like

Re: Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor by Adamma91(f): 3:18pm On Mar 10, 2020
We were able to weed one plot today, still cutting down cost, doing some of the works by ourselves, it is not easy ooo.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Grow Tomatoes For Business? All You Need To Know! / We Can Supply Raw Honey From The Bees / Nigerian Agriculture Sector Won't Develop If We Continue This Way

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.