Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well (23211 Views)

Police Impose Movement Restriction In Abia As Polls Hold Saturday / Lagos State Task Enforces Okada Restriction, 105 Motorcycles Impounded / Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by lexy2014: 11:38am On Feb 06, 2020
BurnStoner:

You mean to disagree that alternatives that beat Okada and Keke as mode of transportation do not exist? Or do you still wish to dispute the facts that this same Okada and Keke drivers can be trained to man dem?
Don’t you want safer transportation systems . Don’t you think investors should use this opportunity to leverage and build better transport systems in Lagos?

U haven't answered d questions I asked. Except u don't no d meaning of d concepts u used. Pls answer d following:

lexy2014:

U mentioned "development". Pls what is "development", what does it entail and how is d ban on okada/keke without d provision of alternatives "development"?

U also said "we sometimes don’t think like developed people yet we shout we want development". Pls how is d Lagos state govt thinking like d govts of "developed people"?
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Nobody: 11:39am On Feb 06, 2020
lexy2014:

U haven't answered d questions I asked. Except u don't no d meaning of d concepts u used. Pls answer d following:

I do not attend to illogical questions please . Don’t stresss me

1 Like

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by bkool7(m): 11:45am On Feb 06, 2020
If it's an idea, it's a good one. But the implementation has commence, so it's no longer an idea.
My take is that, it's only people bereft of creativity and innovativeness that usually resort to banning this and that.
Some brands are already coming into the Okada biz in a more professional way. This is what LSG ought to have encouraged for others.
This is just like, " Oro lagbaja to gbo kuku Ojo, to bo se kule do mi inu agbada nu."

Now, there's nothing as palliative and even if a palliative comes I am not sure it can be as palatable

1 Like

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by uuzba(m): 11:45am On Feb 06, 2020
UyaiIncomparabl:

I'm an avid book reader. I purchase books almost every week!
I download PDFs text books from the internet. Free or pirated.
The last book i purchased (I counted my cash and gave human being) was around 2003.
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Otunba2004(m): 11:46am On Feb 06, 2020
Sanwo-olu you have done well jare,those people living at ageege to iju ishaga don't be too happy o, government just leave those keke and okada for some time in order to finish pen cinema bridge and iju Bus garage terminal after finishing these projects,,,IN IJU ROAD THERE WILL BE NO MORE KEKE NO MORE OKADA

1 Like

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by davillian(m): 11:48am On Feb 06, 2020
EzeIgbo1:

Riders and not RAIDERS. Education my foot.
Empty brain get the message and stop finding faults...

1 Like

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by NoToPile: 11:51am On Feb 06, 2020
This talks only about okada, does the law cover keke? No

Why ban keke?

1 Like

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Tulsaguy: 11:52am On Feb 06, 2020
got it from good source that he almost shed tears when he visited igbobi recently. People with various kinds of fractures, some have been there for God knows when. If other cities survive without bike, Lagos will.

Some are lucky, some ain't so lucky.

2 Likes

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by lexy2014: 11:55am On Feb 06, 2020
BurnStoner:

I do not attend to illogical questions please . Don’t stresss me

They aren't illogical questions. They are very valid questions. If u didn't want stress, y did u make a comment that u can't defend? Every question is a function of d words u used& sentences u made. U are a victim of ur own words. Kindly answer d following:

lexy2014:

U mentioned "development". Pls what is "development", what does it entail and how is d ban on okada/keke without d provision of alternatives "development"?

U also said "we sometimes don’t think like developed people yet we shout we want development". Pls how is d Lagos state govt thinking like d govts of "developed people"?

1 Like

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Neddstark: 12:00pm On Feb 06, 2020
post=86422048:

Oh, okay.
We cool.
Hugs!

Guy, no hug me. grin grin
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by jaxxy(m): 12:01pm On Feb 06, 2020
Nobody is saying he’s right or wrong bt what’s the alternative Are lagosians going to trek everywhere b4 dey can get a decent bus?

We don’t hv commercial group taxis/cabs like sm other states except at ajah where u have commercial cabs and they have their security issues also for riders especially in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by CrazyOptimist: 12:02pm On Feb 06, 2020
Typical human being; selfish, self centered, 'e no konsain me' attitude.

I dont blame the politicians, they can do whatever they like with Nigerians when they are in office, it only takes 500 naira to win them back come next election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zvnAivCbU

1 Like

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:05pm On Feb 06, 2020
UyaiIncomparabl:

If you had books, I wouldn't purchase any of them. Crap.
You don't have to tell me because....

I don't care! Neither would I even notice angry

2 Likes

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 12:07pm On Feb 06, 2020
uuzba:

I download PDFs text books from the internet. Free or pirated.
The last book i purchased (I counted my cash and gave human being) was around 2003.

Lol. I buy them because someone else may have to take them from me. I also prefer to read from a book because I have a problem fixing my gaze on a bright screen for too long.
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 12:08pm On Feb 06, 2020
TonyeBarcanista:

You don't have to tell me because....

I don't care! Neither would I even notice angry

Just negodu, biko.
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by TemmyT002(m): 12:13pm On Feb 06, 2020
Rich people probably convinced Sanwoolu to enforce this wickedness.
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by aminusodiq(m): 12:15pm On Feb 06, 2020
TonyeBarcanista:

So let's see your opinion on the subject
now wey I wan air my opinion... I no see my land again ooo[img][/img]
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Olatara(f): 12:19pm On Feb 06, 2020
UyaiIncomparabl:
You're always fond of writing rubbish. I just tire for you. Shey it's because you don't reside in Lagos, that's why you're spewing these jargons.

Maybe, if you were here, you'd have had too much sense to see that it's not easy. Sheybi, I wantu to go to Lekki now, no bike, I should order Uber, abi? Or I should start hitch hiking these Lekki boys cars here wey no go even reason you, not like it's even my thing sef. angry

If Sawa-Olu abi na Sanwo-Olu knows what is good for him and wants the peace of the masses, let him return all the Opay/Go-Kada bikes and napeps. It could've worked better in other states, but certainly not a cosmopolitan city like Lagos. Biko, I can't coman die because of trekking.

Las las, we go buy car. Onye ara
. angry
If you are not comfortable with the okada and Keke restrictions, please go back to your village. Stop the chest beating already.

3 Likes

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:21pm On Feb 06, 2020
aminusodiq:
now wey I wan air my opinion... I no see my land again ooo[img][/img]
Maybe your son don sell d land use the money do visa to China grin
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 12:23pm On Feb 06, 2020
Olatara:
If you are not comfortable with the okada and Keke restrictions, please go back to your village. Stop the chest beating already.

Is this one okay? I'm very sure you're one of those who has a car or whose father/mother owns a car and wouldn't let us rest. Enjoy. It's your time

1 Like

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by ProWalker: 12:24pm On Feb 06, 2020
If not for the Buffon call Ambode that relaxed the restrictions on Okada, Lagos will not be discussing okada a a means of transportation in 2020.
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by aminusodiq(m): 12:25pm On Feb 06, 2020
TonyeBarcanista:

Maybe your son don sell d land use the money do visa to China grin
no no no.... I don't like corona, I prefer Lexus grin
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Ishilove: 12:26pm On Feb 06, 2020
[s]
TonyeBarcanista:
By Tonyebarcanista

One of the trending subject across Nigeria's social media arena is the decision by Mr Babajide Sanwoolu, the executive Governor of Lagos state, to enforce restrictions of commercial motorcycle (popularly called Okada) and tricycle operators (popularly called Keke) on 6 local government areas and 9 local council development areas, namely; Apapa LGA, Apapa Iganmu LCDA, Lagos Mainland LGA , Yaba LCDA, Surulere LGA, Itire-Ikate, LCDA, Coker-Aguda LCDAs, Ikeja LGA, Onigbongbo LCDAs, Ojodu LCDAs, Eti-Osa LGA, Ikoyi-Obalende LCDA, Iru/Victoria Island LCDAs, Lagos Island LGA and Lagos Island East LCDA. The ban also affects 10 highways and 40 bridges in Lagos state.

The action by Governor Sanwoolu has earned him criticism from a section of the state's population, especially operators of these Okada and Keke operators, as they felt the decision would have adverse consequences on their means of livelihood. The Governor also came under bashing from a section of Lagos residents and some social commentators; who argue that the ban insensitive to the plight of both operators and passengers of Keke and Okada.

But does Sanwoolu deserve the knocks or commendation when there exist a consensus in Lagos that Okada and Keke operators have been constituting themselves into menace in the city? Even when everyone agree that they are very uncoordinated and contribute greatly to the insane traffic situation in the state? Even when everyone know that they pose security risk to the lives and properties of Lagos state residents?

The Side Of The Law

When Mr Babatunde Raji Fashola came into office as Governor of Lagos state in 2007, he constituted a security committee, the committee fingered Okada as a security risk. Another committee was also constituted in 2011 to look into the activities of Okada; and the committee recommended their restrictions and ban from highways and other major roads in the state. Fashola administration adopted and implemented the recommendation.

However, operators of the commercial motorcycle through their Unions, Motorcycle Transport Union of Nigeria (MTUN), National Association of Tricycle and Motorcycle Owners and Riders Association (NATOMORA) and All Nigerian Auto bikes Commercial Owners and Workers Association (ANACOWA), went to Federal High Court in Lagos to challenge the restrictions and ban slammed on their activities. On May 4, 2012, the presiding judge, Justice Stephen Adah, ruled that it amounts to impunity for the state Governor to issue fiat against operations of the commercial motorcycle operators and nullified the order of the Governor. However, the Judge held that the State Governor should approach the Lagos State House of Assembly to have them pass law in favor of the policy.

Immediately after the judgement, Governor Fashola approached the Lagos State House of Assembly to repeal and reenact Lagos State Traffic law. The fine tuned bill, which captured restriction of Okada from operating on a total of 496 roads, was passed by the House of Assembly and Governor Fashola assented to it on August 2, 2012; and therefore became a law!

Going by the aforesaid, every sane mind will agree that the decision by Governor Sanwoolu to ban/restrict operators of commercial motorcycle from operating in the captured highways, roads and bridges, is nothing but an enforcement a law that is subsisting. It becomes ridiculous for people to castigate Governor Sanwoolu for doing what is noble and lawful.

Although I sympathise with the affected operators over loss of their incumbent source of livelihood, I must also recognise that the action of the Lagos state Governor is both noble, welcoming and lawful. In fact, it is in the interest of everyone in the state.

Governor Sanwoolu has done well! By the way, Okada operations has been banned in Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and Imo state, yet heaven did not fall.

Tonye is a writer and political commentator. He can be reached at tonyebarcanista@gmail.com
https://news-af.feednews.com/news/detail/37d38d38cbf9d924a27a82496f9addf1?client=news
[/s]
I stopped halfway. You cannot enforce a ban when there are no working alternatives. Since this ban transporters have hiked fares, the traffic situation has worsened, there are crowds at every bustop and there is general hardship for commuters. The insane governor is releasing 65 buses to ply the Lagos and flyboat, which services just a tiny percentage of Lagos users. I am a road user and I get to work every day late, exhausted, sweaty, and this is affecting my productivity. You cannot just overturn a system that has been in place for close to 25 years without careful and properly planning to cushion the effects, but as usual these incompetent nincompoops rush pell mell to make decisions like animals in the jungle.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 12:28pm On Feb 06, 2020
TemmyT002:
Rich people probably convinced Sanwoolu to enforce this wickedness.

You're very right! They are never always fine until they enforce their rules and opinions on the under privileged masses.

May their testicles and vulvas rot here on earth and in hell. Onye ara them!
. angry

1 Like

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by ProWalker: 12:32pm On Feb 06, 2020
Ishilove:
[s][/s]
[s]I stopped halfway. You cannot enforce a ban when there are no working alternatives. Since this ban transporters have hiked fares, the traffic situation has worsened, there are crowds at every bustop and there is general hardship for commuters. The insane governor is releasing 65 buses to ply the Lagos and flyboat, which services just a tiny percentage of Lagos users. I am a road user and I get to work every day late, exhausted, sweaty, and this is affecting my productivity. You cannot just overturn a system that has been in place for close to 25 years without careful and properly planning to cushion the effects, but as usual these incompetent nincompoops rush pell mell to make decisions like animals in the jungle.[/s]

This grumbling will not help you and others like you

2 things you can do.

1.Approach the courts to overturn the government ban.

2.There are other 35 states in Nigeria, you can relocate to any other one that won’t get you to work every day late, exhausted, sweaty, and that is affecting your productivity

Any other thing is noise until 2023 that you can use your voter’s card again

1 Like

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by ProWalker: 12:33pm On Feb 06, 2020
UyaiIncomparabl:

You're very right! They are never always fine until they enforce their rules and opinions on the under privileged masses.

. angry

Stop making noise.

Return to your village if you don’t like the law

1 Like

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:36pm On Feb 06, 2020
Ishilove:
[s][/s]
I stopped halfway. You cannot enforce a ban when there are no working alternatives. Since this ban transporters have hiked fares, the traffic situation has worsened, there are crowds at every bustop and there is general hardship for commuters. The insane governor is releasing 65 buses to ply the Lagos and flyboat, which services just a tiny percentage of Lagos users. I am a road user and I get to work every day late, exhausted, sweaty, and this is affecting my productivity. You cannot just overturn a system that has been in place for close to 25 years without careful and properly planning to cushion the effects, but as usual these incompetent nincompoops rush pell mell to make decisions like animals in the jungle.
As much as you feel pain due to the implementation of this Okada restriction (which is a law anyway), you have to see the bigger picture; it is for the benefit of the state.

We need leaders that will do what is right for the state irrespective of whether the right thing will bring us temporal inconveniences

BTW the idea of Okada ban was mooted in 2007, temporarily implemented in 2011, and became a law in 2012... Between August 2012 and January 2020 is 9 years+.

1 Like

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Horus(m): 12:37pm On Feb 06, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z65do3w87tk

Okada Are Not Part of Lagos Master-plan

2 Likes

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 12:39pm On Feb 06, 2020
ProWalker:

Stop making noise.

Return to your village if you don’t like the law

Enyi m chere ihu, biko!
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:40pm On Feb 06, 2020
UyaiIncomparabl:

. angry

1 Like

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by ProWalker: 12:40pm On Feb 06, 2020
UyaiIncomparabl:

Enyi m chere ihu, biko!

Whatever.

We are already overpopulated. Anything that would make some of you uncomfortable so that you all can relocate to your villages where okada is the primary means of transportation is welcome

We need sanity here.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Zahra Buhari-Indimi And Husband, Ahmed Indimi Celebrate 4th Wedding Anniversary / Top 6 Projects In Northern Nigeria / $200m Halliburton Cash ‘blown On Presidential Helicopter’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.