Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,712 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well (23175 Views)

Police Impose Movement Restriction In Abia As Polls Hold Saturday / Lagos State Task Enforces Okada Restriction, 105 Motorcycles Impounded / Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by LIMELIGHTCRAZY: 1:45pm On Feb 06, 2020
[color=#990000][/color]Tonye is a writer and political commentator. Tonye is a Asslicker and sycophant of the Lagos state Governor
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Ishilove: 1:46pm On Feb 06, 2020
safarigirl:
okada is the reason for traffic jam on your route? What kind of road do you guys have that something as tiny as okada causes traffic jam?

Not everyone is water friendly, but once again, you have displayed the common behavior in most humans, particularly prevalent in the black race of, as long as it doesn't hinder me, everyone else can f*ck off.

Okada ban is not even the major concern, it is the keke ban that is the actual problem. You don't ban okada and make at the same time, without putting in alternatives.

But, you people do not have any cognitive reasoning, so, what can we expect from impoverished people of a third world nation, with impoverished mentality. You can't give what you don't have.

Same applies to TonyeBarcanista that started this foolish thread and restricted everything to okada ban. He has never been very smart, hence, his affinity to jump from APC to PDP and be tossed around like a ragdoll
You have spoken well. The main cause of concern is the keke ban. Many of the routes don't have any other mode of transport except keke and it has been sheer hell for commuters in these places. My work area is a typical example.
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Champneys: 1:47pm On Feb 06, 2020
Ishilove:

You have spoken well. The main cause of concern is the keke ban. Many of the routes don't have any other mode of transport except keke and it has been sheer hell for commuters in these places. My work area is a typical example.

You have a job?
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:51pm On Feb 06, 2020
safarigirl:
Tonye, the kada ban is not the problem.

It is the lack of proper alternatives. Even in the Abuja some of you like to throw around, when okada was banned, nobody banned keke, so people could still move around.

Your article lacks proper reasoning and is too shallow. You are looking at just one thing and falsely assuming that is the crux, when it clearly isn't

You do not have a proper understanding of people's complaints, your mind is structured like that of the average Nigerian politician. Bad company corrupts. Maybe once upon a time, you were reasonable, but you seem to have lost it.

Productivity will be at a low in Lagos, because people who trek 45 minutes after waking up by 4AM to prepare for work, cannot produce anything for you. They are exhausted, Lagos is killing it's residents slowly and you are endorsing it. Our life expectancy rate is 45 years old and it is because of useless regulations like this. Tonye, how many more years do you have to live as a Nigerian?
Point of Correction ma, I have always been (and still is) a member of the masses. However, I see this move as one with a greater good for all
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Ishilove: 1:51pm On Feb 06, 2020
Champneys:

You have a job?
No I don't. I hawk made-in-China dildos by the road side.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:52pm On Feb 06, 2020
Ishilove:

Weren't people commuting before the advent of tricycles?
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Champneys: 1:56pm On Feb 06, 2020
Ishilove:

Ok.
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by safarigirl(f): 1:59pm On Feb 06, 2020
TonyeBarcanista:

Point of Correction ma, I have always been (and still is) a member of the masses. However, I see this move as one with a greater good for all

You have never been with the masses

Have you gone to Twitter to see people complaining about trekking miles? Do you know how much energy one exerts, trekking under the sun?

Do you know most of those people woke up by 3 or 4 in the morning to get to work, after going to sleep at 10PM? Do you know they did not even have time for breakfast, because they had to rush out to beat traffic? Do you know people are paying up to 2 or 3k to get to work because of the hike in fares? People that just paid school fees last month, have had to find alternative means of transportation to get their kids to school, do you have any idea what that will cost them? Kids that were using keke to get to school and had no complaints. Did you see people's children packed into a pick-up truck like animals, because the ban has affected their means of transport?

What about the hundreds of thousands rendered jobless by this ban? The GOkada riders and employees that have been laid off, what about them? Let me not even ask about the other okada riders that your ilk term the bad eggs.

How can you claim to be a man of the masses, when you clearly don't give a sh*t about the health or financial challenges this ban has caused millions of people?

You are a politician. You think like one, you don't see people, you see numbers. If you ever saw people, you would never write such uninformed garbage
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Nobody: 2:00pm On Feb 06, 2020
lexy2014:

They aren't illogical questions. They are very valid questions. If u didn't want stress, y did u make a comment that u can't defend? Every question is a function of d words u used& sentences u made. U are a victim of ur own words. Kindly answer d following:

You smoke weed ??
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Froshloaded: 2:00pm On Feb 06, 2020
Ishilove:

grin grin grin
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by safarigirl(f): 2:06pm On Feb 06, 2020
TonyeBarcanista:

When you were born, did you not meet tricycles? Were you alive in that time, when there were no tricycles? What do you know of that time?

Do you know the population of Lagos before the advent of tricycles? Do you know the population today? Are they the same amount of people?

What about minimum wage, cost of living, are they the same as it was before the advent of tricycles? What was the working population? What time did they have to leave for work? How many cars were on the road?

Let us bring back the horses to aid transportation too, since we are going back in time.

See Ehn, Tonye, except you want to sound like a total dolt, bereft of common sense, you will drop this particular argument, lest you end up disgracing whatever little education you may have gotten.
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:07pm On Feb 06, 2020
I am aware of all you enumerated my sister! But true leadership is doing what is right for the good of the society even when it doesn't feel right by a section of the society.

I don't expect people not to feel effect of change like this but I know for sure that if government follow the plan to the letter, it will end in praise.

Like I said, I belong to the masses and will aalways take position that I believe is of the greater good of all irrespective of popular opinion.

safarigirl:

You have never been with the masses

Have you gone to Twitter to see people complaining about trekking miles? Do you know how much energy one exerts, trekking under the sun?

Do you know most of those people woke up by 3 or 4 in the morning to get to work, after going to sleep at 10PM? Do you know they did not even have time for breakfast, because they had to rush out to beat traffic? Do you know people are paying up to 2 or 3k to get to work because of the hike in fares? People that just paid school fees last month, have had to find alternative means of transportation to get their kids to school, do you have any idea what that will cost them? Kids that were using keke to get to school and had no complaints. Did you see people's children packed into a pick-up truck like animals, because the ban has affected their means of transport?

What about the hundreds of thousands rendered jobless by this ban? The GOkada riders and employees that have been laid off, what about them? Let me not even ask about the other okada riders that your ilk term the bad eggs.

How can you claim to be a man of the masses, when you clearly don't give a sh*t about the health or financial challenges this ban has caused millions of people?

You are a politician. You think like one, you don't see people, you see numbers. If you ever saw people, you would never write such uninformed garbage
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:12pm On Feb 06, 2020
safarigirl:

When you were born, did you not meet tricycles? Were you alive in that time, when there were no tricycles? What do you know of that time?

Do you know the population of Lagos before the advent of tricycles? Do you know the population today? Are they the same amount of people?

What about minimum wage, cost of living, are they the same as it was before the advent of tricycles? What was the working population? What time did they have to leave for work? How many cars were on the road?

Let us bring back the horses to aid transportation too, since we are going back in time.

See Ehn, Tonye, except you want to sound like a total dolt, bereft of common sense, you will drop this particular argument, lest you end up disgracing whatever little education you may have gotten.
All you have mentioned shows that society evolves. If Keke operators were organised I don't think they would have been affected... But angry
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by safarigirl(f): 2:15pm On Feb 06, 2020
TonyeBarcanista:
I am aware of all you enumerated my sister! But true leadership is doing what is right for the good of the society even when it doesn't feel right by a section of the society.

I don't expect people not to feel effect of change like this but I know for sure that if government follow the plan to the letter, it will end in praise.

Like I said, I belong to the masses and will aalways take position that I believe is of the greater good of all irrespective of popular opinion.

which section of the society? What kind of bourgeoise talk is this?

The masses that matter, the actual voting population have been greatly abused this week by a government they voted in, and you think it right?

You Think it is the people riding Lexus jeeps and Mercedes Benz that voted Sanwo Olu? Because right now, that is the only section of the population that is not facing hell on the streets.

Do you know who the masses are? The less privileged, those who cannot fight fort themselves because the society has f*cked them over.

Those are the masses, not people like you that clearly, have little to no troubles.

You are endorsing their continued suffering. You are not proposing alternatives to alleviate their suffering, you are reducing their worth to 'a section of the society', you have condemned them to a life of continued battering by the government and its policies, because you clearly do not think them worth a thought. You have gagged them more, the voiceless people you should concern yourself with, have been reduced to 'a section of the society'. They don't matter because they don't have money.

And you say you are not a politician? Guy, you are a politician, your conscience is gone.

1 Like

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Manero(m): 2:16pm On Feb 06, 2020
You will even see some of them walking to there office from the train station (1 or 2km away) without complain.

tammie24:
This ban is long overdue

Do you have okada in big cities like
London
New York
Paris
Tokyo
Moscow
Dubai
Singapore etc?
Even Abuja
Yet people get around and not everyone has a car
So what's the fuss?

1 Like

Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Opera240: 2:17pm On Feb 06, 2020
Op only talk about Okada ride...no emphasis on Keke rider. We will all dey all right Las las
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by dazzlingd(m): 2:22pm On Feb 06, 2020
Opay, Oride and other investors are simply out of their senses....investing in a business that had been outlawed
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by ProWalker: 2:29pm On Feb 06, 2020
Ishilove:
[s][/s]
This trash you wrote up there shows you are not living in Lagos.

You are wrong. I live and work in Lagos, in fact I work in apapa which happens to be the epicenter of this okada cancer!!

I will no say the overall safety of the majority of Lagosians should be compromised because some people want a means of transport that suit only them.
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:43pm On Feb 06, 2020
safarigirl:
which section of the society? What kind of bourgeoise talk is this?

The masses that matter, the actual voting population have been greatly abused this week by a government they voted in, and you think it right?

You Think it is the people riding Lexus jeeps and Mercedes Benz that voted Sanwo Olu? Because right now, that is the only section of the population that is not facing hell on the streets.

Do you know who the masses are? The less privileged, those who cannot fight fort themselves because the society has f*cked them over.

Those are the masses, not people like you that clearly, have little to no troubles.

You are endorsing their continued suffering. You are not proposing alternatives to alleviate their suffering, you are reducing their worth to 'a section of the society', you have condemned them to a life of continued battering by the government and its policies, because you clearly do not think them worth a thought. You have gagged them more, the voiceless people you should concern yourself with, have been reduced to 'a section of the society'. They don't matter because they don't have money.

And you say you are not a politician? Guy, you are a politician, your conscience is gone.
All these are emotional talk my sister. Government is to implement policies that benefit the society irrespective of the discomfort it may cause a section of the populace.

Election is over! It is time for BS to deliver on mandate given him... In 2023 he will face the populace to give account of his stewardship.
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Ishilove: 3:09pm On Feb 06, 2020
TonyeBarcanista:

Was Lagos as densely populated as it is now 24 years ago?
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by jeff1607(m): 3:22pm On Feb 06, 2020
we really have forgotten a time wen agberos were prohibited from collecting money from drivers n riders alike, the way crime went up isn't child's play.

Those who were killed and robbed wouldn't never forget easily how one chance, pick pockets especially at oshodi (before renovation) , robberies became the order of the day,

I pray it doesn't get to that
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by NoToPile: 3:23pm On Feb 06, 2020
ProWalker:

Show me your tax card. I will show you the alternatives.

The hard truth is majority of those against this ban don’t pay tax to lagos state.

Say what

What alternatives are there for keke routes, you expect a worker to trekk from Guiness to Adeniyi jones every day In fact the trekking starts from ashade. So its Ashade- guniess first before trekking to adeniyi jones. If you decide to pass express and not via dopemu, you are stuck at ikeja along or underbridge, you will still end up trekking to Adeniyi jones.

Bike I support but keke no.

Only thing is keke should be banned on the expressway which they hardly ply.
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Legendguru: 3:28pm On Feb 06, 2020
Nonsense
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by lexy2014: 3:30pm On Feb 06, 2020
ProWalker:

I’m not here to spoon-feed you. If you think there is no law banning the okada, approach a competent court of law to sue the state govt.

I’m done with this unproductive back and forth

I didn't ask u to spoon feed me. I only asked u a simple question which u can't answer. If u can't spoon feed urself on a subject which u say exists, how then do u want to spoon feed me?

I didn't tell u that there is a law banning okada neither did I tell u that such a law doesn't exist. What u failed to do( and u failed woefully) is to intimate us on d law that u vehemently say exists. Its dont no y u are finding it difficult to state d law. D discussion is unproductive in ur opinion because u never expected anyone to challenge d validity of ur comments
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by NoToPile: 3:30pm On Feb 06, 2020
TonyeBarcanista:

As much as you feel pain due to the implementation of this Okada restriction (which is a law anyway), you have to see the bigger picture; it is for the benefit of the state.

We need leaders that will do what is right for the state irrespective of whether the right thing will bring us temporal inconveniences

BTW the idea of Okada ban was mooted in 2007, temporarily implemented in 2011, and became a law in 2012... Between August 2012 and January 2020 is 9 years+.

Everybody is talking about okada.

Nobody is talking about keke, is there a law banning that too nobody has been able to answer that question.

My main grouse is that of keke, even the palliative measures cant take routes keke take.

Is there going to be a bus from Guinness- Allen, within Ikeja GRA, Doyin- eric moore, shitta- Bode thomas etc.

Would those buses ply those routes

Thats the main issue.
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by lexy2014: 3:33pm On Feb 06, 2020
Manero:
You will even see some of them walking to there office from the train station (1 or 2km away) without complain.

Have u ever trekked 1km before on ur way to work? Or are u sure u no what 1km is not to talk of 2km? Did u do d 1-2km trekking from d train station with d oyibos u are referring? Were did u witness d above?
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by lexy2014: 3:35pm On Feb 06, 2020
BurnStoner:

You smoke weed ??

No I didn't smoke weed. Did u?

Meanwhile,

"U mentioned "development". Pls what is "development", what does it entail and how is d ban on okada/keke without d provision of alternatives "development"?

U also said "we sometimes don’t think like developed people yet we shout we want development". Pls how is d Lagos state govt thinking like d govts of "developed people"?
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by ballerboy: 3:36pm On Feb 06, 2020
TonyeBarcanista:
By Tonyebarcanista

One of the trending subject across Nigeria's social media arena is the decision by Mr Babajide Sanwoolu, the executive Governor of Lagos state, to enforce restrictions of commercial motorcycle (popularly called Okada) and tricycle operators (popularly called Keke) on 6 local government areas and 9 local council development areas, namely; Apapa LGA, Apapa Iganmu LCDA, Lagos Mainland LGA , Yaba LCDA, Surulere LGA, Itire-Ikate, LCDA, Coker-Aguda LCDAs, Ikeja LGA, Onigbongbo LCDAs, Ojodu LCDAs, Eti-Osa LGA, Ikoyi-Obalende LCDA, Iru/Victoria Island LCDAs, Lagos Island LGA and Lagos Island East LCDA. The ban also affects 10 highways and 40 bridges in Lagos state.

The action by Governor Sanwoolu has earned him criticism from a section of the state's population, especially operators of these Okada and Keke operators, as they felt the decision would have adverse consequences on their means of livelihood. The Governor also came under bashing from a section of Lagos residents and some social commentators; who argue that the ban insensitive to the plight of both operators and passengers of Keke and Okada.

But does Sanwoolu deserve the knocks or commendation when there exist a consensus in Lagos that Okada and Keke operators have been constituting themselves into menace in the city? Even when everyone agree that they are very uncoordinated and contribute greatly to the insane traffic situation in the state? Even when everyone know that they pose security risk to the lives and properties of Lagos state residents?

The Side Of The Law

When Mr Babatunde Raji Fashola came into office as Governor of Lagos state in 2007, he constituted a security committee, the committee fingered Okada as a security risk. Another committee was also constituted in 2011 to look into the activities of Okada; and the committee recommended their restrictions and ban from highways and other major roads in the state. Fashola administration adopted and implemented the recommendation.

However, operators of the commercial motorcycle through their Unions, Motorcycle Transport Union of Nigeria (MTUN), National Association of Tricycle and Motorcycle Owners and Riders Association (NATOMORA) and All Nigerian Auto bikes Commercial Owners and Workers Association (ANACOWA), went to Federal High Court in Lagos to challenge the restrictions and ban slammed on their activities. On May 4, 2012, the presiding judge, Justice Stephen Adah, ruled that it amounts to impunity for the state Governor to issue fiat against operations of the commercial motorcycle operators and nullified the order of the Governor. However, the Judge held that the State Governor should approach the Lagos State House of Assembly to have them pass law in favor of the policy.

Immediately after the judgement, Governor Fashola approached the Lagos State House of Assembly to repeal and reenact Lagos State Traffic law. The fine tuned bill, which captured restriction of Okada from operating on a total of 496 roads, was passed by the House of Assembly and Governor Fashola assented to it on August 2, 2012; and therefore became a law!

Going by the aforesaid, every sane mind will agree that the decision by Governor Sanwoolu to ban/restrict operators of commercial motorcycle from operating in the captured highways, roads and bridges, is nothing but an enforcement a law that is subsisting. It becomes ridiculous for people to castigate Governor Sanwoolu for doing what is noble and lawful.

Although I sympathise with the affected operators over loss of their incumbent source of livelihood, I must also recognise that the action of the Lagos state Governor is both noble, welcoming and lawful. In fact, it is in the interest of everyone in the state.

Governor Sanwoolu has done well! By the way, Okada operations has been banned in Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and Imo state, yet heaven did not fall.

Tonye is a writer and political commentator. He can be reached at tonyebarcanista@gmail.com
https://news-af.feednews.com/news/detail/37d38d38cbf9d924a27a82496f9addf1?client=news
very soon people will understand how governor sanwo-olu is making a good plan and progress for Lagos state. It's a heavy change though. I console those who were affected in this heavy change and am pleading you should find something else to do and don't steal. If u steal, that's your end of. I take off....
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:36pm On Feb 06, 2020
NoToPile:

Everybody is talking about okada.

Nobody is talking about keke, is there a law banning that too nobody has been able to answer that question.

My main grouse is that of keke, even the palliative measures cant take routes keke take.

Is there going to be a bus from Guinness- Allen, within Ikeja GRA, Doyin- eric moore, shitta- Bode thomas etc.

Would those buses ply those routes

Thats the main issue.
Before the coming of Keke what means was plying the route?

I am sure that those mini buses can ply the routes of KeKe
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by Sprumbaba: 3:37pm On Feb 06, 2020
TonyeBarcanista:

I am more of a writer than a politician. In fact, writing is my primary constituency

Come and write for me now? I go pay. I am serious.
Re: Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well by lexy2014: 3:38pm On Feb 06, 2020
TonyeBarcanista:
You can challenge the law in court sir

What is d correlation with ur above comment and d questions I asked previously which are as follows?:

Are u saying u haven't read d law? Why should I go and read d law when u have read it? Tell me d part u have read? What are d "undesirable elements"? Y haven't they been rid off?

What is d law banning okada? What means of transportation should we be discussing in 2020? Should we be discussing danfo and small doctor?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Heartland FC Players Locked In Hotel For Non-Payment Of Food, Room Bills (Pix) / First Lady Remi Tinubu Doles Out N250,000 To Trademore Flood Victims / Joe Igbokwe Described 2019 Election With A Statue Of APC Beating PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.