Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,947 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:49 PM

Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? (1221 Views)

Gã People Of Ghana Originated From Ile-ife – Ooni Of Ife / Igbos Originated From Israel, Here's The Biblical Proof / LAK Jimoh: “O To Ge’’ - How I Originated Campaign Slogan That Dethroned Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Feb 07, 2020
Hello my fellow "Nairalanders"
I was just going through some YouTube videos and stumbled on this old edition of Oprah's show. There was a debate going on in relation to the effect of negative music lyrical content and it's effect on the youths. Then when it got the turn of one of the panelist to speak, his name was displayed on screen and his last name baffled me. His last name was BIAFRA and he was a white guy.
That was when my curiosity got activated.
Is the word BIAFRA and Igbo word or an onyibo word?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4n9xf0HJTs

Cc lalasticlala mynd44

Re: Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by Thomas19(m): 2:38pm On Feb 07, 2020
Biafra is a dream.. a pipe dream being milked by a certain Nnamdi and his acolytes.
They are preying on people who are desperate for any government that will improve their standard of living and are making us not to play national politics as a Tribe.

1 Like

Re: Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by Area4Area: 2:45pm On Feb 07, 2020
I'd really want to be educated here, those in the know should please come to the rescue.
Re: Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by BluntBoy(m): 3:15pm On Feb 07, 2020
tobicool:
Hello my fellow "Nairalanders"
I was just going through some YouTube videos and stumbled on this old edition of Oprah's show. There was a debate going on in relation to the effect of negative music lyrical content and it's effect on the youths. Then when it got the turn of one of the panelist to speak, his name was displayed on screen and his last name baffled me. His last name was BIAFRA and he was a white guy.
That was when my curiosity got activated.
Is the word BIAFRA and Igbo word or an onyibo word?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4n9xf0HJTs

Cc lalasticlala mynd44

Biafra is not an Igbo word.

It is believed that a region known as Biafra once existed in what is now present day Cameroon.

But the Republic of Biafra was named after the Bight of Biafra, an open bay. If you check a map of Africa, just below Nigeria (perspectively), you will find the Bight of Biafra.

It was this bight that Ojukwu named Biafra after.

5 Likes

Re: Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by WebSurfer(m): 3:21pm On Feb 07, 2020
Igbos are from Cameroon, a name from old (in Cameroon)
Re: Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by conductor259: 3:26pm On Feb 07, 2020
Thomas19:
Biafra is a dream.. a pipe dream being milked by a certain Nnamdi and his acolytes.
They are preying on people who are desperate for any government that will improve their standard of living and are making us not to play national politics as a Tribe.
Mugu. Yoonity begging mugu cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by technicallyrich(m): 3:58pm On Feb 07, 2020
Frtom ijaw.
The bight of biafra is in ijaw land.
Biafra consist mainly of ss,se and some part of middle belt like idoma,igalla, etc.
God bless we the ijaws that are the richest,strongest,bravest and most blessed black tribe on earth.
God bless biafrans too.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by tartar9(m): 4:22pm On Feb 07, 2020
technicallyrich:
Frtom ijaw.
Biafra consist mainly of ss,se and some part of middle belt like idoma,igalla, etc.
God bless we the ijaws that are the richest,strongest,bravest and most blessed black tribe on earth.
God bless biafrans too.
You are wetin grin
Igbos are ready to devour you for your statement
Why take their place
Re: Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by yarimo(m): 4:33pm On Feb 07, 2020
BIAFRANs are from Cameroon, in Cameroon BIAFRA means terrorists group of illiterates people.
Re: Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by gidgiddy: 4:48pm On Feb 07, 2020
Ther name "Biafra" is very controversial in terms of its origins. Some say it is from ancient Portuguese navigators, others say it originated from Cameroon. Even Asari Dokubo said that Biafra comes the Ijaw term 'Biafulo' meaning 'water flow'

What we do know is that over 600 years ago, the area now known as SE/SS(with the exception of the Bini empire) belonged to an ancient kingdom known as Biafra. The kingdom also had parts of southernern Cameroon in it. Thats why ancient sailors called the waters on the shore of that Kingdom the "Bight of Biafra"

When Ojukwu was about to declare the Eastern Region a seperate country, an Ijaw man called Frank Opigo, who was also head of the Yenagoa province, reminded Ojukwu that the Eastern Region used to be historically known as Biafra. Ojukwu then adopted the name for the new country.

1 Like

Re: Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by Seetto: 4:59pm On Feb 07, 2020
Ojukwu, copy copy... grin
Re: Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by Thomas19(m): 5:01pm On Feb 07, 2020
conductor259:

Mugu. Yoonity begging mugu cheesy
it's you and your generation that is the mumu. Stay there in your delusion.
If I ask you where is the Biafran map now you will be clueless or will be adding rivers state. slowpoke

1 Like

Re: Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by APCNig: 5:08pm On Feb 07, 2020
technicallyrich:
Frtom ijaw.
God bless biafrans too.

Chest beating and self aggravating are trademarks of lazy clowns.
Re: Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by technicallyrich(m): 11:34pm On Feb 07, 2020
APCNig:

Chest beating and self aggravating are trademarks of lazy clowns.
is there any black tribe stronger than ijaws in the world.
Or maybe you understimate us.
Ijaws are dominate in ss region and even own ondo and lagos state for your info or you think ijaw are only in bayelsa.
I repeat,ijaws are the most bravest,strongest,richest and most blessed blacks on earth.

1 Like

Re: Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by lordlugards: 12:43am On Feb 08, 2020
Nime OTU NNE gi there
That's where it's originated

1 Like

Re: Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by Banmeallday: 1:19am On Feb 08, 2020
Thomas19:

Pipe dream or are you smoking the Nigger Area pipe naaah?

You know say Nigeria is a pipe dream, and will never amount to anything great. You know it in your mind. You see it everyday. Even on politics section, the killings, the stealing, the election rigging, the corrupt Supreme Court, the useless army, the silly senators and governors, the deceiving politicians, the foolish musicians, the ashawo girls, the yahoo yahoo boys, the super chickens called super eagles with OYIBO quack coach making money for his grandkids, and a President who is mute like a mouse, afraid to speak to the press and to the people LIVE for over two years and counting.

That my friend is what Luggard dem planned for the likes of you and your children and called you all full of personal VANITY.....

SO keep on being a WHite mans dog,,,,,which we know can be referred to as a Byatch....luckily his ashawo wife coined you all Nigger Area people instead of Byacth Area people...

In Biafra we stand

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Does The Name BIAFRA Originated From? by Thomas19(m): 10:08am On Feb 08, 2020
Banmeallday:

Pipe dream or are you smoking the Nigger Area pipe naaah?

You know say Nigeria is a pipe dream, and will never amount to anything great. You know it in your mind. You see it everyday. Even on politics section, the killings, the stealing, the election rigging, the corrupt Supreme Court, the useless army, the silly senators and governors, the deceiving politicians, the foolish musicians, the ashawo girls, the yahoo yahoo boys, the super chickens called super eagles with OYIBO quack coach making money for his grandkids, and a President who is mute like a mouse, afraid to speak to the press and to the people LIVE for over two years and counting.

That my friend is what Luggard dem planned for the likes of you and your children and called you all full of personal VANITY.....

SO keep on being a WHite mans dog,,,,,which we know can be referred to as a Byatch....luckily his ashawo wife coined you all Nigger Area people instead of Byacth Area people...

In Biafra we stand
I pity you because ignorance is common in my country. Nigeria is not working because people like you are not interested in electing a serious person to lead us even in your respective states. Not because of whatever lord lugard did. Instead of fighting for your country you are standing for in a country that has never existed..

(1) (Reply)

His Royal Craftiness Lamido Sanusi: Indicted For Fraud, Adorned Saint By Media / Didn't Maurice Iwu Specify Amebicides And Antimalaria Drug Class For His Cure? / Oyo State Rice Game. Response From Customs Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.