Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,233 members, 7,807,771 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:55 PM

Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot (34942 Views)

See How National Concord Newspaper Described Buhari's Regime In 1985 / Tinubu: I Didn't Travel To France And I am Still The Jagaban / Tinubu: I Have Never Earned A Dime From Lekki Toll Gate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by Maxymilliano(m): 2:37pm On Feb 07, 2020

Bola Tinubu, a national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), says he is not responsible for a viral quote describing President Muhammadu Buhari as a religious bigot and an agent of destabilisation.

According to the content being shared across social media platforms, in 2003, Tinubu, a former governor of Lagos, described Buhari as “an agent of destabilization, ethnic bigot, and religious fanatic”.

“Muhammadu Buhari is an agent of destabilization, ethnic bigot, and religious fanatic who if given the chance would ensure the disintegration of the country. His ethnocentrism would jeopardize Nigeria’s national unity,” read the quote.

In 2003, Buhari contested the presidential election under the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) but lost to former President Olusegun Obasanjo of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

At the time, Tinubu, who was seeking a re-election as governor of Lagos, ran under the platform of Alliance for Democracy (AD) and won.

In a statement on Friday, Tunde Rahman, Tinubu’s media adviser, said the quote is fictitious, describing it as “the handiwork of merchants of hate and fake news”.

He said the former governor never made such statement about Buhari, appealing to the public to ignore it.

Rahman challenged those behind it to mention where Tinubu made the remark.

“This stuff has been going round and circulating as if it’s of a fact. It is not. It’s the handiwork of merchants of hate and fake news. Asiwaju Tinubu could not have said such of then GMB,” the statement read.

“Let’s dissect it: Yes Asiwaju and GMB as he then was were not in the same party in 2003. But they were not on each other’s path to warrant any hard feelings in the first instance. GMB was contesting for the presidency in 2003, Asiwaju was Lagos governor seeking re-election which he got. GMB was contesting against President Obasanjo.

“Truth is Asiwaju would even wish that GMB defeated the dictatorial President Obasanjo who ruled the country on his whims. Against a clear decision of the Supreme Court Obasanjo seized Lagos allocation and did many unthinkable. Asiwaju would not descend so low as to label anyone ethnic bigot or religious fanatic.

“These words are neither of him nor relate to him in any way. The agents of darkness who are bent on sowing seeds of discord at this time the nation is confronting challenges of insecurity and religious extremism should tell us when he uttered those words.

“Where did he speak? Was it a newspaper interview? Was it a public lecture? No source. No attribution. The merchants of fake news just did a fantastic quote to cause mischief and create discord. We should not allow them.”

https://www.thecable.ng/fake-news-alert-i-never-described-buhari-as-a-religious-bigot-says-tinubu/amp

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by kunleweb: 2:41pm On Feb 07, 2020
Tinubu must have added Amnesia to his list of medical conditions

Tinubu is in denial of a lot of things including his own words

169 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by Citytrend: 2:42pm On Feb 07, 2020
History never forget. Thank God for the information age. And I wasn't expecting him to admit it either!

Abeg joo, I will Design a Professional Logo for your Company or Product For 2k Only. Offer valid Today Only. See my info below to Chat me.

139 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by Maxymilliano(m): 2:50pm On Feb 07, 2020
Yesterday, it was Nuhu Ribadu, Today is Tinubu.

The rumor has been there for ages but he never debunked it, 2023 will be interesting as many more will deny their ancestors, just to be in Buhari's good book..

Tinubu was right for calling Buhari a tribalist, religious fanatic, says Obasanjo

Eniola Akinkuotu, Abuja

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo says All Progressives Congress stalwart, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, was right to call President Muhammadu Buhari an ethnic bigot and religious fanatic in 2007.

Tinubu had while campaigning for the then candidate of the Action Congress, Atiku Abubakar, in 2007, described Buhari of the All Nigeria Peoples Party as an ethnic bigot.

Interestingly, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, who is now the Minister of Information, was part of Atiku’s campaign team at the time and had lambasted Buhari for saying the late military dictator, General Sani Abacha, did not steal.

Both Tinubu and Mohammed are now members of Buhari’s campaign team after the merger of their respective parties.

In a statement on Sunday, Obasanjo made reference to Tinubu’s scathing attack on Buhari.

He wrote, “Bola Tinubu’s statement about Muhammadu Buhari in 2003 (2007) is fairly prophetic, ‘Muhammadu Buhari is an agent of destabilisation, ethnic bigot and religious fanatic who, if given the chance, would ensure the disintegration of the country. His ethnocentrism would jeopardize Nigeria’s national unity.’”

https://punchng.com/tinubu-was-right-for-calling-buhari-a-tribalist-religious-fanatic-says-obasanjo/

82 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by Sylraph1: 2:52pm On Feb 07, 2020
Of course you won't expect Him to admit it..... Dude gonna do anything possible to remain in BUHARI'S GOOD BOOK....
USELESS POLITICIANS..

94 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by Oluneutral: 2:54pm On Feb 07, 2020
Then, Tinubu wasn't afraid of Buhari because he thought Buhari will never become Nigeria's president and hence, he wouldn't need anything from him, but now, he's now afraid of him because.......
1. He's afraid that, if he talk about Buhari anyhow, he may not hand over power to him in 2023.

2. He's afraid that, Buhari may dig out and prosecute him for his many corrupt practices, if he dare say anything bad about him.

He'll always deny this type of thing because he'll want to remain in Buhari's good book for a long time.

127 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by Villagemeat: 2:54pm On Feb 07, 2020
Chai.....,this media people should have mercy,u can't come and spoil this bug dream. No, not possible

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by 12Monkeys: 3:01pm On Feb 07, 2020
Nobody that Wikileaks exposed has ever come out to deny whatever they were quoted to have said only this desperate Yaribanza liar is denying his own words

103 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by StaffofOrayan(m): 3:03pm On Feb 07, 2020
My friend shut up

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by NigeriaIsDoomed: 3:05pm On Feb 07, 2020
Chai this coward can fear grin e don deny now grin grin so our message for Nairaland dey reach the idiots in power.

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by Maxymilliano(m): 3:53pm On Feb 07, 2020
The statement credited to Tinubu was a statement of fact, which emanated from a sincere heart not considering any political affiliations as at then.

But the fear of losing out in the race for 2023 is the beginning of wisdom.

Politicians without principles.

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by Sonoyom(m): 3:54pm On Feb 07, 2020
Jagaban of Cowardice!

84 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by seborrhic: 4:07pm On Feb 07, 2020
This one too wants to lead Nigeria.
That's the mindset of someone that would make a campaign promise but swear never to have made such once he gets to power.
What is wrong in simply tactically saying at the time you made that statement,it was based on things you actually didn't know about him,but having now known him better at close range,he is not any of those things u said then.
You keep your statement and still come out looking okay in the minds of the cabal because this Tinubu denial is simply borne out of fear of being called out for his many misdeeds while in office as governor,before and even after.

122 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by PapaBaby: 4:10pm On Feb 07, 2020
According to the content being shared across social media platforms, in 2003, Tinubu, a former governor of Lagos, described Buhari as “an agent of destabilization, ethnic bigot, and religious fanatic”.

A wise bullion van man once said:
"The fear of EFCC is the beginning of wisdom"

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by BlackfireX: 4:15pm On Feb 07, 2020
Yoruba people and double mouth ehhhh

73 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by NigeriaIsDoomed: 4:24pm On Feb 07, 2020
BlackfireX:
Yoruba people and double mouth ehhhh
grin grin grin It is their trademark

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by ChoCho54(f): 4:29pm On Feb 07, 2020
Maxymilliano:
Yesterday, it was Nuhu Ribadu, Today is Tinubu.

The rumor has been there for ages but he never debunked it, 2023 will be interesting as many more will deny their ancestors, just to be in Buhari's good book..

https://punchng.com/tinubu-was-right-for-calling-buhari-a-tribalist-religious-fanatic-says-obasanjo/
After reading the piece.. I said why debunk it now?

Yes Bola Tinubu, why deny it now?

Besides, you did not have to be in same Political party as buhari to say this. You need not necessarily say it to the press too.

If you said in your parlour or AD inner caucus, or in your country club, or your private jet, it doesn't make it less valid.

This is the kind of thing Tinubu would say then, considering that he still touted himself a progressive then, with a lot of disdain for anything with military background due to IBB and Abacha dictatorships.

So yes, buhari was another dictator, one even a known religious bigot, wanting to upstage another soldier, whom Tinubu hated so much and would voice out against, afterall, it was now a democracy.

12 Likes

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by idealogical: 4:31pm On Feb 07, 2020
Fake news everywhere. This is why I don't trust fake news and the Nigerian news media especially when it comes to Tinubu and how bloggers and useless news papers use his name to sell and make money with fake news.

The SE fake news people Just suspended their staff member for lying and spreading take news that oyedepo was denied American Visa.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by Maxymilliano(m): 4:33pm On Feb 07, 2020
Rahman challenged those behind it to mention where Tinubu made the remark.

There you have it Rahman ...

Buhari Is An Ethnic Bigot, Religious Fanatic – Bola Tinubu

Bola Tinubu, former Governor of Lagos State and leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, once described General Muhammadu Buhari as an agent of destabilization, ethnic bigot and religious fanatic who if given the chance would ensure the disintegration of the country, according to a Wikileaks transcript of a conversation between Tinubu and the US consul-general in 2003.

Tinubu disclosed this to the United States spy posing as the consul general – in a 2003 conversation- that Buhari should not be trusted due to his bigot tendencies. He pointed to Buhari’s tribalistic nature as potentially dangerous to the unity of Nigeria. In Tinubu’s summation, he stated: ‘Buhari and his ilk are agents of destabilization who would be far worse than Obasanjo.’ The conversation was recorded by the US Consul General and wired back to Washington DC for analysis. Of which, Wikileaks got a hold of the recorded transcripts and published the conversation.

[b]Section 6 (C) reads “Turning to the presidential contest, Tinubu disclosed that he does not like President Obasanjo because he contributed to the end of democracy in Nigeria during his tenure as a military president and is now benefiting from that history. That said, Tinubu admitted that he and his party, the Alliance for Democracy, must support Obasanjo. Southwest Nigeria is Yoruba land and the President is Yoruba. Tinubu’s party had no choice since it has not fielded a presidential candidate. Moreover, Obasanjo is the only candidate who stands a chance of blocking his rival, General Muhammadu Buhari, whose ethnocentrism would jeopardize Nigeria’s national unity. Buhari and his ilk are agents of destabilization who would be far worse than Obasanjo. Tinubu and many other governors are therefore implementing a strategy to re-elect Obasanjo, partly in an effort to prevent Sharia from spreading. Tinubu predicted that the President will follow his own course, if re-elected, since he will not need as many friends the second time around[/b].”

https://www.independent.ng/buhari-is-an-ethnic-bigot-religious-fanatic-bola-tinubu/

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by saaron(m): 4:40pm On Feb 07, 2020
Tinubu disowning his own 2003 statements about buhari for 2023? Does he know what Buhari says about him behind closed doors?
Tinubu doesn't have balls and because of that, he will not even make a good president. What a pity.
Leaders are men with balls.
ONE NIGERIA IS DEAD!

12 Likes

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by ChoCho54(f): 4:47pm On Feb 07, 2020
Oluneutral:
Then, Tinubu wasn't afraid of Buhari because he thought Buhari will never become Nigeria's president and hence, he wouldn't need anything from him, but now, he's now afraid of him because.......
1. He's afraid that, if he talk about Buhari anyhow, he may not hand over power to him in 2023.

2. He's afraid that, Buhari may dig out and prosecute him for his many corrupt practices, if he dare say anything bad about him.

He'll always deny this type of thing because he'll want to remain in Buhari's good book for a long time.
Anything they bother to deny is true.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by Bear007(m): 5:16pm On Feb 07, 2020
If there is no facts.. No issue, next please.
Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by Seunaj05(m): 5:16pm On Feb 07, 2020
But Buhari is a religious and ethnic bigot wether you said it or not

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by ivolt: 5:17pm On Feb 07, 2020
You did.
I have the evidence.

7 Likes

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by Kingrexyl(m): 5:17pm On Feb 07, 2020
But you did, jagaban must be afraid of bubu or mumu. grin

14 Likes

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by AmazingDesigns: 5:17pm On Feb 07, 2020
grin
Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by awa(m): 5:18pm On Feb 07, 2020
It is coming back to you Sir....Internet is a library oooo

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by Greenbirth: 5:18pm On Feb 07, 2020
Even if you do say that. You are 100 percent correct. He is even worst than that.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot by seunmohmoh(f): 5:18pm On Feb 07, 2020
Una mumu don do.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wike Criticises State Pardon Granted To Dariye & Nyame, Garba Shehu Responds / Finally GEJ Gets Serious / Arewa Youths To Buhari: Don't EndSARS, Reform SARS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.