Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,702 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:20 PM

Emotional Dependency: nlers as a case study of this phenomenon in adulthood - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Emotional Dependency: nlers as a case study of this phenomenon in adulthood (273 Views)

Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? / These Adulthood Realities Give Us Nostalgia About Our Childhood Privileges / What Happens To Orphanage Kids That Weren't Adopted and grew to adulthood? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emotional Dependency: nlers as a case study of this phenomenon in adulthood by tpia: 3:37pm On Feb 07, 2020
Re: Emotional Dependency: nlers as a case study of this phenomenon in adulthood by nlPoster: 3:48pm On Feb 07, 2020
It used to be in the old days, Nigerians tended to be emotionally stronger but in these times of mobile phones and instant technology, being emotionally dependent is no longer considered immaturity.

People (nlers) want to be babied even as adults, they wear their emotions on their sleeves and unfortunately, seem to be looking for who to take out their personal frustrations at life on, most times it's a hapless woman who agreed to marry them who bears the brunt of their anger at the Nigerian system and their upbringing. Transferred aggression, so to speak.
Re: Emotional Dependency: nlers as a case study of this phenomenon in adulthood by nlPoster: 3:53pm On Feb 07, 2020
You'll see nlers threatening those reminding them to trim the apron springs ie reduce their emotional over- dependency on family and relatives as adults, with the scenario " When your relative is closer to their spouse than you, you won't be saying this".
Re: Emotional Dependency: nlers as a case study of this phenomenon in adulthood by nlPoster: 4:00pm On Feb 07, 2020
There seems to be a lot of whining which is viewed as adult behaviour.
Re: Emotional Dependency: nlers as a case study of this phenomenon in adulthood by nlPoster: 5:04pm On Feb 07, 2020
Is it the relatives who don't encourage emotional independence or Nigerians/nlers in general are just emotionally needy as a character trait?

Reading through their posts and opinions would make one assume both might be the case.
Re: Emotional Dependency: nlers as a case study of this phenomenon in adulthood by nlPoster: 6:12pm On Feb 07, 2020
Nigerians/Nlers attitude to these issues give the impression of people who get agitated and throw tantrums when their wants are not met.
Re: Emotional Dependency: nlers as a case study of this phenomenon in adulthood by nlPoster: 6:15pm On Feb 07, 2020
One would wonder why MGTOW doesn't seem to apply when it comes to their adult emotional dependency and refusal to trim the apron strings.

It's like there's a fear of going into the actual world.

As is typical of Nigerians, when nlers encountered the concept of MGTOW, they were very quick to carry it on their heads as a way of life. But this MGTOW is quickly brushed aside when they want to get their own way in a matter.
Re: Emotional Dependency: nlers as a case study of this phenomenon in adulthood by nlPoster: 7:20pm On Feb 07, 2020
Re: Emotional Dependency: nlers as a case study of this phenomenon in adulthood by nlPoster: 7:46pm On Feb 07, 2020
It seems to me they (nlers) rather than take actual responsibility for what goes on in their immediate personal environments, come up with "if" scenarios such as "if you do this, I'll behave in such and such a way". "If you don't do this, I won't do that/I'll do that" etc. Like a seesaw.

They give or withhold affection or responsibility based on a subjectively oriented reward system with themselves or their emotions as the prize.

Not considering if their emotions are actually considered prizes by the person they are trying to shape into some type of personality to reflect their whims.
Re: Emotional Dependency: nlers as a case study of this phenomenon in adulthood by nlPoster: 9:05pm On Feb 07, 2020
And engage in emotional tantrums, tagging the woman all types of nasty and unkind names as is their usual wont.
Re: Emotional Dependency: nlers as a case study of this phenomenon in adulthood by nlPoster: 1:38pm On Feb 08, 2020
And the never ending litany of "my people are angels, unfortunately my evil wife doesnt agree"

And they'll introduce an unending line of more and more people all fighting the wife. . . .
Re: Emotional Dependency: nlers as a case study of this phenomenon in adulthood by nlPoster: 2:08pm On Feb 08, 2020
. . . . . .

And some nlers are "permanent mediators" ie fixers, they only function to further emotionally destabilize the victim/s and make excuses for the aggressors where the term applies. . .

(1) (Reply)

Proclinician! You Have No Business In Family Section, Please Remain In Romance / Advice Needed/ Please Urgent / How To Earn Money In This Lockdown Period, Very Simple, I Love This Platform

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.