Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,781 members, 7,806,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:17 PM

Removing Thermostat In A Car... What Is The Idea - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Removing Thermostat In A Car... What Is The Idea (1673 Views)

Should I Remove My Thermostat in my camry 2012? / I Have 3.5M & I Want To Buy A Car. What Do You Suggest For Me. / Just Bought A Used Car? What Next? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Removing Thermostat In A Car... What Is The Idea by greatbrian(m): 11:33am On Feb 09, 2020
Most car owners one-way or the other would have come across mechanics talking about removing the thermostat.

I was naive to it until a new car I got Had issues this month and my mechanic was like I should remove the thermostat saying its the culprit of the over heating. I tried asking why and he said the weather abroad is cold that's why thermostats is put in cars coming in and our weather here is hot. Though I told him not to remove it since the technology that brough about making cars brought about adding the thermostats. Afterwards, I decided checking all the cars in my compound and I realised the thermostats is missing all thanks to Our Kareem.

The question is have anyone encountered this and what is the thermostats majorly for in more educated environment.
Re: Removing Thermostat In A Car... What Is The Idea by verifiablefacts: 1:24pm On Feb 09, 2020
greatbrian:
Most car owners one-way or the other would have come across mechanics talking about removing the thermostat.

I was naive to it until a new car I got Had issues this month and my mechanic was like I should remove the thermostat saying its the culprit of the over heating. I tried asking why and he said the weather abroad is cold that's why thermostats is put in cars coming in and our weather here is hot. Though I told him not to remove it since the technology that brough about making cars brought about adding the thermostats. Afterwards, I decided checking all the cars in my compound and I realised the thermostats is missing all thanks to Our Kareem.

The question is have anyone encountered this and what is the thermostats majorly for in more educated environment.
if it is bad, replace with new one but don't remove it, as it will bring about high rave and excess fuel consumption.
Re: Removing Thermostat In A Car... What Is The Idea by nutripot: 1:45pm On Feb 09, 2020
verifiablefacts:

if it is bad, replace with new one but don't remove it, as it will bring about high rave and excess fuel consumption.

Absolutely true.
Re: Removing Thermostat In A Car... What Is The Idea by greatbrian(m): 3:01pm On Feb 09, 2020
verifiablefacts:

High rave?
Re: Removing Thermostat In A Car... What Is The Idea by verifiablefacts: 4:39pm On Feb 09, 2020
greatbrian:

High rave?
High rave(revolution/sec.),yes.
When there is no thermostat in an engine, the coolant temp tends to be below the normal operating temp,this makes the engine control unit(ECU or ECM or Brain Box)to over inject fuel for combustion,with excess fuel come increase in revolution.

2 Likes

Re: Removing Thermostat In A Car... What Is The Idea by adanny01(m): 8:49pm On Feb 10, 2020
greatbrian:

Let me start by A human body temp analogy.

A normal body temp of a human is around 37°c. 38°c and above is considered fever and 35°c and below is considered hypothermia.

This means the normal human should have a temp range of 35-38°c.

This same condition exist with an engine. An engine operates optimally at a temp in the range of 88-98°c.

Car manufacturers then created 2 equipment to control the engine temp within the range. The lower range is controlled by the thermostat while the upper limit is controlled by the cooling fans and radiator. The thermostat is designed to stop the cooling system from working if engine temp is below 88°c while the cooling fan is designed to start cooling once the temp is at 98°c.

This will keep all systems of the car in their top working form in any type of weather. It is essential to note that an engine running below 88 or above 98°c will experience rapid wear and tear of moving engine parts in the long run and a poor mileage in the short run.

Kazeems remove thermostat and connect fans directly. This is deleting the optimum temperature range of the car. This range becomes low then were and tear sets in. The engine eats its self in bigger bites from the day of the modification.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Removing Thermostat In A Car... What Is The Idea by greatbrian(m): 9:01pm On Feb 10, 2020
adanny01:

Let me start by A human body temp analogy.

A normal body temp of a human is around 37°c. 38°c and above is considered fever and 35°c and below is considered hypothermia.

This means the normal human should have a temp range of 35-38°c.

This same condition exist with an engine. An engine operates optimally at a temp in the range of 88-98°c.

Car manufacturers then created 2 equipment to control the engine temp within the range. The lower range is controlled by the thermostat while the upper limit is controlled by the cooling fans and radiator. The thermostat is designed to stop the cooling system from working if engine temp is below 88°c while the cooling fan is designed to start cooling once the temp is at 98°c.

This will keep all systems of the car in their top working form in any type of weather. It is essential to note that an engine running below 88 or above 98°c will experience rapid wear and tear of moving engine parts in the long run and a poor mileage in the short run.

Kazeems remove thermostat and connect fans directly. This is deleting the optimum temperature range of the car. This range becomes low then were and tear sets in. The engine eats its self in bigger bites from the day of the modification.

Now this is very explanatory.........

1 Like

Re: Removing Thermostat In A Car... What Is The Idea by oride: 9:22pm On Feb 10, 2020
greatbrian:

No one can explain it better. Very astute adanny01. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Removing Thermostat In A Car... What Is The Idea by Nobody: 9:51pm On Feb 10, 2020
greatbrian:

If you dare remove that car's thermostat your suffering will be specially packaged ..... Please don't!!
Re: Removing Thermostat In A Car... What Is The Idea by Originalsly: 10:51pm On Feb 10, 2020
adanny01:

The thermostat is designed to stop the cooling system from working if engine temp is below 88°c while the cooling fan is designed to start cooling once the temp is at 98°c.

Great job Adanny! ..... may your words fall on unblocked ears!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Camry (pencil Light) Fuel Pump Change / Gear Change Issues / My 2013 Pajero Going Gaga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.