Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,376 members, 7,808,312 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:14 AM

What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa (4561 Views)

The Original Name Of Port Harcourt Is Obomotu / The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source / Meet The Original Inhabitant Of Gwagwalada ( The Bassas) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by gregyboy(m): 11:24pm On Feb 16, 2020
ghostwon:

I have always known you to be a fool.

Mabek ozua

Akowenomhenbe

Ewe( goat)
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by Nobody: 11:28pm On Feb 16, 2020
gregyboy:

Mabek ozua

Akowenomhenbe

Ewe( goat)
ghostwon:
What the heck is wrong with you ?
Find better things to do when your menstruation starts working your head.
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by gregyboy(m): 11:43pm On Feb 16, 2020
ghostwon:

I dont even know who you're

If you are as an african i dont give a Bleep i owe no benin person or tribe any right or whatsoever

Am here as a benin guy to teach people the true history without any bigotry or entitlement to my tribe

So if you wanna attack my claims dont come with insult alone come with proves then after that you can insult me ....

As for now you made no reasonable comment ...

Even the other tribes had made reasonable comment than you have done

You simply want to turn the thread to benin and yoruba supiority thread ..

Young man your derailing this thread with tribalism this thread is for africans and not edo vs yorubas thread go and do proper research on crops original to the edo people and africans

I would love to read a counter article proving this article wrong from you and not this bigoted show you put up there

And yea 40% of cultral practice came from the Portuguese . our food ,our clothes name it and 60% comes from our indigenous benin culture benin may have had 1%/influence on Portuguese or more if only you did your research to find out
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by Nobody: 11:53pm On Feb 16, 2020
gregyboy:

I dont even know who you're

If you are a benin man i dont give a Bleep i owe no benin person or tribe any right or whatsoever

Am here as a benin guy to teach people the true history without any bigotry or entitlement to my tribe

So if you wanna attack my claims dont come with insult alone come with proves then after that you can insult me ....

As for now you made no reasonable comment ...

Even the other tribes had made reasonable comment than you have done

You simply want to turn the thread to benin and yoruba supiority thread ..

Young man your detailing this thread with tribalism this thread his for africans and not edo vs yorubas thread go and do proper research on crops original to the edo people
actually you confuse your inferiority complex and your lack of education with antibigotry and education. You have no facts. You are known for contradicting yourself in the same sentence, for attacking Edo people and whenever you are not sure of something you just jump to the most insulting claim against the Edo.
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by Nobody: 11:56pm On Feb 16, 2020
gregyboy:

Our cultural practice is influnced by the Portuguese 40% our food ,our clothes name it and 60% coming from indigenous benin culture benin may have had 1%/influence on Portuguese or more if only you did your research to find out

And you got your statistics from the top of your hat ? You keep mistaking your ignorant guess work with antibigotry educated facts.

Being neutral is not an easy task. It takes the full might of a rigourous education. That is why as judges you will never see illiterates, rather you have people who studied the law. Being neutral doesn't mean that if two people come to court and one is your tribesman then you should side with the other one. You have to rather do the hard work and look into things logically and then pronounce the conclusion of your correct reasoning. You are just a slowpoke with insufficient education to even pretend being neutral. Blindly siding against your people is not being neutral, it is being stupid.
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by nlPoster: 12:11am On Feb 17, 2020
it looks like all food crops were imported and foreign to Africans especially west africa so what then did we eat before the arrival of this food crops.....?

Could we focus on the question please.

Is there no info about crops indigenous to west Africa?
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by gregyboy(m): 12:20am On Feb 17, 2020
ghostwon:
actually you confuse your inferiority complex and your lack of education with antibigotry and education. You have no facts. You are known for contradicting yourself in the same sentence, for attacking Edo people and whenever you are not sure of something you just jump to the most insulting claim against the Edo.

Big grammers and plenty nonsense
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by Nobody: 12:23am On Feb 17, 2020
gregyboy:

Big grammers and plenty nonsense

To call this grammar, your education must be extremely low. I speak French everyday, I was ten years old the last time I was in an English school, all the rest I did in France and in French. Masters degree from a French university, thesis in French...
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by gregyboy(m): 12:23am On Feb 17, 2020
nlPoster:

Plaintain,

Palm trees

Possibly water leaf it grows naturally in our soil without naturally planting them
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by nlPoster: 12:31am On Feb 17, 2020
Palm trees perhaps, although I think coconuts were referred to on the thread as an imported plant, but Yorubas have a name for it, which would imply it's not?

The seeds can be carried by water, so it could have reached Africa in ancient times.
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by nlPoster: 12:35am On Feb 17, 2020
Waterleaf grows like a weed, and yes it does seem native to west Africa. But considering it's texture (relatively thick, reminding one of aloe or cactus without the thorns), it would appear to be more suited for a dry rather than rainy climate due to it's water storage properties.

But never say never.
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by Adeba01(m): 4:26am On Mar 18, 2020
babasolution:
i read somewere that Africa had a challenge of sustainable foods in ancient times,and that was why we had a challenge developing at the same pace as others.This book guns,germs and steel by p.diamond also explains that.Africa did not have as many naturally occuring edible foods like other regions as we have today which is said contributed to our slow development.

So our destiny was to have been a small population, that is what I believe nature intended for us
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by Adeba01(m): 4:29am On Mar 18, 2020
nlPoster:
Palm trees perhaps, although I think coconuts were referred to on the thread as an imported plant, but Yorubas have a name for it, which would imply it's not?

The seeds can be carried by water, so it could have reached Africa in ancient times.

That is meaningless, as the Yorubas also have a word for mango, despite the fruit not originating from Africa but from Brazil
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by letu(m): 1:14am On Mar 19, 2020
gregyboy:

Mere claims

Our forest are made of tall trees and varieties of vegetables
But most food crops ventured into africa by contact with the europeans those tales of africa as an acient civilization holds no water on this article
People migrated into uninhabited lands were they meet food crops. They necessarily dont always go with food crops to plant because before thier arrival the plant may have died along the way they would usual go with abundant food supply

Even European are not left out if you read the articles you would see the benins introduced plaintain to Britain ,probably it didnt grow in thier region thats why you dont see it in Britain today

Do you still wonder why most europeans eat leaves(vegetables) because they were just like africans who really had no food crops but dwell on vegetables all food crips in european countries and even america are imported till today becuse thier vegetation cant grow th

The Portuguese on the other hand bought all this food crops from asia and traded them around the world for money , the Portuguese happen to lived in an environment that suported the growth of this crops ( Mediterranean region)

The crops were mostly brought from asia and south america especially brazil

Little wonder why the asian population grew becausr of abudant of food crops

Thank you
grin grin This White South African keeps deceiving tpiar and others that accept what he or she says, I already know that your from a white South African family and it is in the nature of your family history to dispose blacks from what's rightfully belongs to blacks, well you are leaving up to the expectation keep the fire burning, keep disposing them, the so called blacks (some of them) here in Nairaland and also, you keep throwing some articles up and down to support your Eurocentric view well who exactly wrote those articles the same white, your white ancestors who derived pleasure in disposing blacks from things that belongs to blacks, all I can say is that nature runs in the family blood.
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by letu(m): 1:35am On Mar 19, 2020
ghostwon:
His a white South African.
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by letu(m): 2:00am On Mar 19, 2020
nlPoster:

Based on the articles that gregyboy keeps throwing up and down, it means the answer to your question is No, according to gregyboy our lands where only made up of trees, grass and vegetables, this means our ancestors were only eating fruits and vegetables until the coming of whites eg Portuguese, introducing seeds to blacks (west Africa) inwhich they teach blacks eg pre colonia southern Nigeria how to practice farming and also introduce tools needed for farming I guess, to stretch it a little they also introduce blacksmithing, grin grin cheesy grin grin angry angry lipsrsealed lipsrsealed embarassed gregyboy write-up/articles are nothing but an Eurocentric view and also gregyboy is a student of Eurocentric school of thought.

1 Like

Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by gregyboy(m): 3:08am On Mar 19, 2020
letu:
Based on the articles that gregyboy keeps throwing up and down, it means the answer to your question is No, according to gregyboy our lands where only made up of trees, grass and vegetables, this means our ancestors were only eating fruits and vegetables until the coming of whites eg Portuguese, introducing seeds to blacks (west Africa) inwhich they teach blacks eg pre colonia southern Nigeria how to practice farming and also introduce tools needed for farming I guess, to stretch it a little they also introduce blacksmithing, grin grin cheesy grin grin angry angry lipsrsealed lipsrsealed embarassed gregyboy write-up/articles are nothing but an Eurocentric view and also gregyboy is a student of Eurocentric school of thought.

There is no eurocentrism in my writeup if you're so afrocentrisic then debunk the articles with proves anf not claims
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by Adeba01(m): 7:34am On Mar 19, 2020
ghostwon:

Why is it considered inferiority complex to express facts
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by Adeba01(m): 7:36am On Mar 19, 2020
gregyboy:

There is no eurocentrism in my writeup if you're so afrocentrisic then debunk the articles with proves anf not claims

Well said smiley
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by Adeba01(m): 7:37am On Mar 19, 2020
letu:

Please try to express yourself with sources and facts
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by Adeba01(m): 7:37am On Mar 19, 2020
letu:
His a white South African.

Where is your proof?
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by Adeba01(m): 7:44am On Mar 19, 2020
letu:
grin grin This White South African keeps deceiving tpiar and others that accept what he or she says, I already know that your from a white South African family and it is in the nature of your family history to dispose blacks from what's rightfully belongs to blacks, well you are leaving up to the expectation keep the fire burning, keep disposing them, the so called blacks (some of them) here in Nairaland and also, you keep throwing some articles up and down to support your Eurocentric view well who exactly wrote those articles the same white, your white ancestors who derived pleasure in disposing blacks from things that belongs to blacks, all I can say is that nature runs in the family blood.

To be fair to you I think it is rather strange and odd for you to be taking the defence of black south africans when they have no love or even warm feelings towards other black africans and have been even killing and discriminating against other black Africans, they justified this by saying that there were criminals and drug peddlers embarassed . When in actual fact black africans are trying to make an honest living in that country. As it stands even white countries treat black africans better than black south africans. Goes to show how we are towards one another lipsrsealed embarassed

South Aftica was actually a lot better under apartheid. It was a lot more orderly and functional
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by AreaFada2: 1:24am On Mar 20, 2020
agadez007:
Egusi is not a bini food

My sister have stayed in Edo state where they call it Melon and never eguisi or whatever you claim

Dude, Benin call Egusi "Ikpogi".

Like in Delta, pidgin & English are widely spoken. So many people can live in Benin or Edo in general and never master Benin (NOT BINI, such doesn't exist Oba's palace has clarified many times) or any Edo language. Just because Benin people use names others are familiar with doesn't mean there is no native name. You are even quoting hearsay from your sister who I can bet doesn't speak Benin language well as a definitive proof.
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by agadez007(m): 9:46am On Mar 20, 2020
AreaFada2:

Dude, Benin call Egusi "Ikpogi".

Like in Delta, pidgin & English are widely spoken. So many people can live in Benin or Edo in general and never master Benin (NOT BINI, such doesn't exist Oba's palace has clarified many times) or any Edo language. Just because Benin people use names others are familiar with doesn't mean there is no native name. You are even quoting hearsay from your sister who I can bet doesn't speak Benin language well as a definitive proof.
Good you cleared us on the matter
Yours is Ikpogi not Egusi,case closed
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by AreaFada2: 9:52am On Mar 20, 2020
agadez007:
No Edo person ever claimed Egusi was Edo claim was Edo name.
Na Una dey claim everything and try dictate to others with is theirs and what's not.
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by AreaFada2: 9:52am On Mar 20, 2020
agadez007:
No Edo person ever claimed Egusi was Edo claim was an Edo name.
Na Una dey claim everything and try dictate to others with is theirs and what's not.
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by gregyboy(m): 2:00pm On Mar 20, 2020
AreaFada2:

No Edo person ever claimed Egusi was Edo claim was an Edo name.

Are you saying egusi soup is not benin am nof understanding you here
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by AreaFada2: 2:09pm On Mar 20, 2020
gregyboy:

Are you saying egusi soup is not benin am nof understanding you here

Egusi the name is not Benin. Read the post of the person I quoted and posts leading to that.
Benin call it Ikpogi.
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by gregyboy(m): 2:13pm On Mar 20, 2020
AreaFada2:

Egusi the name is not Benin. Read the post of the person I quoted and posts leading to that.
Benin call it Ikpogi.

Then you should make it clesr before you give wrong info unintentionally
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by Yujin(m): 5:10pm On Mar 20, 2020
Adeba01:

To be fair to you I think it is rather strange and odd for you to be taking the defence of black south africans when they have no love or even warm feelings towards other black africans and have been even killing and discriminating against other black Africans, they justified this by saying that there were criminals and drug peddlers embarassed . When in actual fact black africans are trying to make an honest living in that country. As it stands even white countries treat black africans better than black south africans. Goes to show how we are towards one another lipsrsealed embarassed

South Aftica was actually a lot better under apartheid. It was a lot more orderly and functional
For you to sound like this, I'll have to agree that you and gregyboy are birds of a feather. Africa certainly has a history and we were living like every normal community with our natural resources and lacks. Heavily forested regions can certainly not be with enough food to sustain the people. Are you an Afrikaner?
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by AreaFada2: 7:12pm On Mar 20, 2020
gregyboy:

Then you should make it clesr before you give wrong info unintentionally
Nobody can lay claim to melon soup as theirs. Whatever the name they call it. Any well travelled person will know most 9ja tribes eat melon. I know how widely I have seen it eaten across 9ja.

Wherever it is grown, it's eaten. It's already established that melon was introduced into Africa by Portuguese. See beginning of the thread. It was the name I was talking about clearly. As both Igbo and Yoruba here are claiming owning that name. Please read and digest before you comment and stop claiming right. Good luck.
Re: What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa by Adeba01(m): 8:17pm On Mar 20, 2020
Yujin:

For you to sound like this, I'll have to agree that you and gregyboy are birds of a feather. Africa certainly has a history and we were living like every normal community with our natural resources and lacks. Heavily forested regions can certainly not be with enough food to sustain the people. Are you an Afrikaner?

No I am not an afrikaner, I am a proud melaninated man.

I believe this is the problem with us black people we lack self critical thinking, instead of that, we replace it with emotions and wishful thinking, this is the reason why we are the only race that claims mixed race people as their own, what bizarre and weird way to think. We obsess and love to claim foreign asiatic people like the ancient Egyptians but we refuse to acknowledge our own people like san bushmen, pygmies and hadza people, very interesting people with a wonderful way of life.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Unique Abiriba Wedding / This Is How A Typical Nigerian Married Couple Should Look Like Instead Of This / Why This Choice Of Formal Attire?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.