Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,792 members, 7,802,515 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

87% Nigeria’s Poverty Rate In North – World Bank - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 87% Nigeria’s Poverty Rate In North – World Bank (31041 Views)

Peter Obi Compares Nigeria’s Budget, Poverty Rate With China’s. Is He Correct? / Nigeria’s Poverty Rate Calls For Worry / FG Dismisses Global Report On Nigeria’s Poverty Level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 87% Nigeria’s Poverty Rate In North – World Bank by HausaFulani: 12:36pm On Feb 12, 2020
Maxymilliano:
Poverty is headquartered in the north, illiteracy is in the north, insurgency and insecurity is a way of life in the north, children left to fend for themselves in the north, almost everything negative indices is from the north yet, the region has produced Presidents and Head of States more than any other regions.

I guess they enjoy poverty and primitive way of living than civilization.

1 Share

Re: 87% Nigeria’s Poverty Rate In North – World Bank by ChoCho54(f): 1:01pm On Feb 12, 2020
Jimi24:
The cause of poverty in the North was PDP Niger Delta amnesty program

-13% derivation
-NDDC
-Minstry of Niger Delta
-Amnesty Program
-Niger Delta security contracts
From OBJ to GEJ, 75% of Nigerias oil receipts money was being sent back to the Niger Delta.

Was this good or bad policy, I dont know BUT when I am confronted with pictures of poor kids in the North, I will not deceive myself that I dont know tue root cause.

The North also had the worst of governors most of them under the evil corrupt PDP. So lower fiscal income and bad governance. This is what you get.

Now for some interesting social psychology;
These young poor uneducated children, do they know they are suffering?. NO
Do they even care about life? NO

Who is worried sick about them and their possible recruitment into banditry and Boko Haram?. YOU AND ME

That is why a government should not be putting myopic policies in place. There are always consequences for everything you do. There must be policies to manage those consequences.
A flurry of trash.
Re: 87% Nigeria’s Poverty Rate In North – World Bank by frowland(m): 1:33pm On Feb 12, 2020
Missionaire:

I don't know what is funny to you. I just wanted to clarify that the northeners have been ruling for a longer period of time prior 2015. It isn't about who they voted or didn't vote for, it is about who has been ruling more.

Of course religion is also a factor but I wasn't writing about factors, I was just trying to make you understand that the northern leaders have been ruling for a longer time and yet it didn't translate to any achievements for their people.
If we say religion is a major factor, I may not actually agree totally with that because even the Yorubas practice Islam and yet their case isn't like the northerners.

The major cause is lack of education. Education isn't just about learning how to read and write, education is about encouraging people to discover knowledge and question things. The Yorubas are pro education but the northerners aren't. Imagine if the northerners had just half of Awolowo (not even full human being o), their lots would be better.

But again, these people are the real sheeples and they subscribe to the herds mentality. They can't think for themselves, plan for themselves or argue with their leaders whether political or religious because their leaders have been so manipulative enough to discourage that by punishing those who begin to question things and labelling them blasphemers unlike the southerners, westerners, and easterners who question things and can even argue with their religious leaders (especially the Christians).

He who has no opinion of his own but depends solely on the opinion of others Is a slave.

During the slavery era, the white man who was the slave master would give the black man who was a slave everything except education because he feared that if the black man knew what he knew, he can claim equal status.

The northern "slave masters" (elites) give any other kind of empowerment to their ''slaves" (the masses) except education. Dangote alone can build free basic and secondary learning institutions in every northern state but he won't. Same with A.A Rano and other elites both political and entrepreneurs.

The effect has been a large group of people who are mental slaves to a few persons who can twist the Koran to suit their personal ambitions ANYTIME without being questioned.

By the way, I am from the south. I remember my first time in Abuja vividly. I discovered that the northern youths are more proned to violence if you argue with them in English. Have you ever argued with a stammerer? Because he can't express himself verbally (fast), he tends to (easily) use his fists. Same thing with these ones. Because they cannot express themselves (even in pidgin o) they resort to violence.

The northern masses have embraced radical islam which encourages human deprivations, enforces a slave-master system, scuffles individual freedom, downplays education and promote illiteracy and encourages forceful inclusion. And because the masses have no mental tools to set themselves free, they remain in this bondage. Some know the truth, but they lack the courage to speak out because they are the minorities.

An old baba did say how he regretted marrying off his 14 years old daughter. The man sells dates. He said that their immam told them that their prophet commands against allowing one's daughter to experience menstruation till the age of 15 in their father's house before being married off. He said his daughter wanted to become a medical doctor and she was very bright but because he didn't want to disobey the prophet's command and be tagged an infidel, he married her off.
There are many cases like this.

So I agree with you that religion is a factor but I believe lack of education is a greater factor. Look at the Yorubas. Yoruba Muslims are very pro education.

The northern states receive more in allocations, do little with these allocations and then get more for doing little. Jonathan built schools for them but they destroyed it. I wonder whether they would have done so if he built mosques for them.
The elites send their children to the best schools abroad and then marry their children off to fellow elite families so that the wealth would circulate within them only. They encourage the masses to not seek education but to marry their children off to fellow poor families and so the next generations will still maintain the status quo.

Individuals and churches give scholarship to deserving individuals so that they can go to School and equip themselves with the mental tools to advance in life (without having to depend on anyone.

Thank you. I don't know all, these are of my own. I hope you can educate civilly.

Jeez! Such a long epistle on something that is clear. Look, am not interested in opening a new subject of discussion.
My comment is based on the post which said the north VOTES for failure and that is the reason for their state of backwardness.
I interjected that it is a fallacy as the north have NEEVER VOTED for any northerner in the past 30 yrs who are not up to par. (Abiola, OBJ, Yaradua, GEj.... except maybe Buhari- open for debate).
The discussion is on vote not on who have been ruling.
The north have actually voted for who they think will move the country forward. Get this point clear please. Thanks and hope you are having a nice day?.
Re: 87% Nigeria’s Poverty Rate In North – World Bank by PierreAbutu(m): 1:43pm On Feb 12, 2020
Citytrend:
Because their Leaders have impoverished their minds. And I do not see that going away anytime soon

Because Poverty is a thing of the Mind!

Abeg joo, I will Design a Professional Logo for your Company or Product For 2k Only. Offer valid Today Only. See my info below to Chat me.

Can u design a catchy 3D or a4D book cover?
Re: 87% Nigeria’s Poverty Rate In North – World Bank by Missionaire: 8:40pm On Feb 12, 2020
frowland:

Jeez! Such a long epistle on something that is clear. Look, am not interested in opening a new subject of discussion.
My comment is based on the post which said the north VOTES for failure and that is the reason for their state of backwardness.
I interjected that it is a fallacy as the north have NEEVER VOTED for any northerner in the past 30 yrs who are not up to par. (Abiola, OBJ, Yaradua, GEj.... except maybe Buhari- open for debate).
The discussion is on vote not on who have been ruling.
The north have actually voted for who they think will move the country forward. Get this point clear please. Thanks and hope you are having a nice day?.

Peace.
My day was nice although I can't say same for some close. Our mammy market was almost totally burnt down in the early hours of today.

1 Like

Re: 87% Nigeria’s Poverty Rate In North – World Bank by Bonessaw(m): 2:10pm On Feb 14, 2020

Re: 87% Nigeria’s Poverty Rate In North – World Bank by myobjective: 6:03pm On Feb 14, 2020
Bekool:

This is really disheartening the north west have no business presiding over the affairs of this country they have produced more presidents and military heads of state more than any region of Nigeria yet they can't even improve the standard of living of their own people.

It is the president and the military head produced by the north that has even reduced their backwardness and help to give them more than merited. North has been very poor and backward from day one.

Here is what lead to the amalgamation of north and southern Nigeria: The British treasury initially supported the landlocked Northern Nigeria Protectorate with grants, totaling £250,000 or more each year.[73] Its revenue quickly increased, from £4,424 in 1901 to £274,989 in 1910. The Southern Protectorate financed itself from the outset, with revenue increasing from £361,815 to £1,933,235 over the same period

1 Like

Re: 87% Nigeria’s Poverty Rate In North – World Bank by Missionaire: 3:14pm On Feb 25, 2022
Missionaire:

I don't know what is funny to you. I just wanted to clarify that the northeners have been ruling for a longer period of time prior 2015. It isn't about who they voted or didn't vote for, it is about who has been ruling more.

Of course religion is also a factor but I wasn't writing about factors, I was just trying to make you understand that the northern leaders have been ruling for a longer time and yet it didn't translate to any achievements for their people.
If we say religion is a major factor, I may not actually agree totally with that because even the Yorubas practice Islam and yet their case isn't like the northerners.

The major cause is lack of education. Education isn't just about learning how to read and write, education is about encouraging people to discover knowledge and question things. The Yorubas are pro education but the northerners aren't. Imagine if the northerners had just half of Awolowo (not even full human being o), their lots would be better.

But again, these people are the real sheeples and they subscribe to the herds mentality. They can't think for themselves, plan for themselves or argue with their leaders whether political or religious because their leaders have been so manipulative enough to discourage that by punishing those who begin to question things and labelling them blasphemers unlike the southerners, westerners, and easterners who question things and can even argue with their religious leaders (especially the Christians).

He who has no opinion of his own but depends solely on the opinion of others Is a slave.

During the slavery era, the white man who was the slave master would give the black man who was a slave everything except education because he feared that if the black man knew what he knew, he can claim equal status.

The northern "slave masters" (elites) give any other kind of empowerment to their ''slaves" (the masses) except education. Dangote alone can build free basic and secondary learning institutions in every northern state but he won't. Same with A.A Rano and other elites both political and entrepreneurs.

The effect has been a large group of people who are mental slaves to a few persons who can twist the Koran to suit their personal ambitions ANYTIME without being questioned.

By the way, I am from the south. I remember my first time in Abuja vividly. I discovered that the northern youths are more proned to violence if you argue with them in English. Have you ever argued with a stammerer? Because he can't express himself verbally (fast), he tends to (easily) use his fists. Same thing with these ones. Because they cannot express themselves (even in pidgin o) they resort to violence.

The northern masses have embraced radical islam which encourages human deprivations, enforces a slave-master system, scuffles individual freedom, downplays education and promote illiteracy and encourages forceful inclusion. And because the masses have no mental tools to set themselves free, they remain in this bondage. Some know the truth, but they lack the courage to speak out because they are the minorities.

An old baba did say how he regretted marrying off his 14 years old daughter. The man sells dates. He said that their immam told them that their prophet commands against allowing one's daughter to experience menstruation till the age of 15 in their father's house before being married off. He said his daughter wanted to become a medical doctor and she was very bright but because he didn't want to disobey the prophet's command and be tagged an infidel, he married her off.
There are many cases like this.

So I agree with you that religion is a factor but I believe lack of education is a greater factor. Look at the Yorubas. Yoruba Muslims are very pro education.

The northern states receive more in allocations, do little with these allocations and then get more for doing little. Jonathan built schools for them but they destroyed it. I wonder whether they would have done so if he built mosques for them.
The elites send their children to the best schools abroad and then marry their children off to fellow elite families so that the wealth would circulate within them only. They encourage the masses to not seek education but to marry their children off to fellow poor families and so the next generations will still maintain the status quo.

Individuals and churches give scholarship to deserving individuals so that they can go to School and equip themselves with the mental tools to advance in life (without having to depend on anyone.

Thank you. I don't know all, these are of my own. I hope you can educate civilly.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Zulum Visits Family Of General Zirkushu, Donates ₦20 Million / Throwback Photos Of Goodluck Jonathan Exercising / Airforce Crash: "Buhari, Osinbajo Must Avoid Flying Private Jets" - Ohanaeze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.