Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists (690 Views)

MURIC To FG: Treat Repented Boko-Haram/ISWAP Fighters Like Brothers, Train Them / Kwara Govt Starts Rehabilitating Moro Bridge After Public Outcry / Igbo Lady From Imo Praises Buhari For Rehabilitating Her Home Town Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by kilisi(m): 11:20pm On Feb 11, 2020
With heavy heart and great sadness, I read the news about repented and rehabilitated Boko-Haram members being released and reintegrated into the society.

However, as a novice of law who is interested in knowing what the law says concerning the action of the Federal Government, I want the law experts to please shed more light on the position of the law regarding this issue.

Is it constitutional?
If it is not, why is there a deafening silence from legal experts on this action of the government?
Why can't armed robbers, hired killers, kidnappers and so on also not benefit from same rehabilitation?
Why is the NASS silent on this issue?
Can the Federal Government turn itself into prosecutor and judge at the same time.

So many questions in my head right now.

Sad!

3 Likes

Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by PlayerMeji: 11:31pm On Feb 11, 2020
My person, I share your views on this. And I hope you understand that there's a war raging on for the soul of this country and the souls of Christians in it.

They are released to propagate the jihad on this nation after all the atrocious deeds perpetuated while some ethnic groups have been warned not to attend the burial ceremony of the father of the erstwhile leader of the group.

All in this country.
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by GamalNasser: 11:34pm On Feb 11, 2020
Exactly What law is Buhari using to make these killers avoid trial ? Where did he get the power to "canonize" captured Terrorist from ? Why can't armed robbers and Evans enjoy such priviledge too

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by kilisi(m): 11:34pm On Feb 11, 2020
PlayerMeji:
My person, I share your views on this. And I hope you understand that there's a war raging on for the soul of this country and the souls of Christians in it.

They are released to propagate the jihad on this nation after all the atrocious deeds perpetuated while some ethnic groups have been warned not to attend the burial ceremony of the father of the erstwhile leader of the group.

All in this country.

Thanks for your contribution.

But I will appreciate an argument in support or against this action citing relevant sections the law.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by kilisi(m): 11:37pm On Feb 11, 2020
GamalNasser:
Exactly What law is Buhari using to make these killers avoid trial ? Where did he get the power to "canonize" captured Terrorist from ? Why can't armed robbers and Evans enjoy such priviledge too

If there is no legal backing, why then is there a deafening silence on the part of legal luminaries on this issue?

Or has Nigeria turned into 'democratic communist' state where speaking against the wrong actions of the government is no longer tolerated?

2 Likes

Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by chatinent: 11:45pm On Feb 11, 2020
One of the judicial functions of the Chief Executive is amnesty or a presidential pardon. But personally, this particular case is abnormal.

1 Like

Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by kilisi(m): 11:50pm On Feb 11, 2020
chatinent:
One of the judicial functions of the Chief Executive is amnesty or a presidential pardon. But personally, this particular case is abnormal.

Presidential pardon without trial? Presidential pardon to terrorists?

Please are you a legal expert? I'm just curious because I know there is Terrorism Prevention Act or something like that.
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by Ebenezar2020(m): 12:32am On Feb 12, 2020
GamalNasser:

Like I've always told you, you're a kid with zero knowledge of politics.
This is called Prerogative Of Mercy.
The Sole Exclusive right of the President to pardon and forgive and bring them back to the society.
After all Niger Delta militants also received amnesty and were rehabilitated and placed among the society during the Yaradua/Jonathan era

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by GamalNasser: 12:53am On Feb 12, 2020
Ebenezar2020:

The Sole Exclusive right of the President to pardon and forgive and bring them back to the society.
After all Niger Delta militants also received amnesty and were rehabilitated and placed among the society during the Yaradua/Jonathan era

A president can only pardon persons after they have been found guilty by a competent court of law not before ..you are clearly and ignorant person trying to claim knowledge you do not possess

4 Likes

Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by kilisi(m): 12:55am On Feb 12, 2020
Ebenezar2020:

I believe there is a world of difference between militants and terrorists.

1 Like

Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by kilisi(m): 1:07am On Feb 12, 2020
Lalasticlala, can you please give this a wider coverage so we can have a sound argument on this?
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by tartar9(m): 2:34am On Feb 12, 2020
kilisi:
[s]

I believe there is a world of difference between militants and terrorists.[/s]
They are both criminals
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by tartar9(m): 2:41am On Feb 12, 2020
People are busy complaining, meanwhile under international law those suspected Boko Haram members are POW and eventually, you're still supposed to release them afterwards.
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by overall90: 4:13am On Feb 12, 2020
tartar9:
People are busy complaining, meanwhile under international law those suspected Boko Haram members are POW and eventually, you're still supposed to release them afterwards.

POW how?
is Nigeria fighting a conventional war with Boko Haram.
when did Boko Haram members become conventional soldiers as recognised by international convention on treatment of POWs?
smh!

2 Likes

Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by MetaPhysical: 4:38am On Feb 12, 2020
Ebenezar2020:

Niger Deltans were not pardoned. They negotiated a deal, ceasefire for cash. That is also wrong! ...but they were not pardoned.

Bkkoharam is being pardoned..
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by Jamarii: 6:44am On Feb 12, 2020
[s]
Ebenezar2020:

[/s]
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by helinues: 6:47am On Feb 12, 2020
That's done everywhere in the world except for exceptional cases.

Those who have been attacking with knives recently in UK are repentant suspected terrorists
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by Tobichimezie: 6:49am On Feb 12, 2020
helinues:

Those who have been attacking with knives recently in UK are repentant suspected terrorists
Not sure what angle you are driving at, but you come off as an idiot to me.

1 Like

Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by helinues: 6:53am On Feb 12, 2020
Tobichimezie:

Not sure what angle you are driving at, but you come off as an idiot to me.

We are actually not the originator of your early morning frustration.

Could you locate the person pls....

Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by Nobody: 6:55am On Feb 12, 2020
NNAMDI KANU WARNED THEM THEY REFUSED TO LISTEN

AS EARLY AS 2017 KANU SAID THEY ARE RELEASING CAPTURED BOKOHARAM MEMBERS THAT MANY ARE ALREADY IN THE ARMY

THEY CALLED HIM NAMES

1 Like

Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by Tobichimezie: 6:56am On Feb 12, 2020
helinues:

We are actually not the originator of your early morning frustration.

Could you locate the person pls....
What an uncreative dunce SMH
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by ChristianNorth: 7:01am On Feb 12, 2020
BH committed treason, a capital offence. Sending them back to the society without trial is obstruction of justice and whole lots of other crimes.

President has prerogative of mercy but only after the judiciary has done theirs.
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by ChristianNorth: 7:02am On Feb 12, 2020
helinues:

A Yoruba Moslem will always support anything against Christians

1 Like

Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by allthingsgood: 7:04am On Feb 12, 2020
It's is very legal. They are not convicts. Only suspects. Fg has options on how to deal with suspects
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by allthingsgood: 7:07am On Feb 12, 2020
ChristianNorth:
BH committed treason, a capital offence. Sending them back to the society without trial is obstruction of justice and whole lots of other crimes.

President has prerogative of mercy but only after the judiciary has done theirs.

Which law school did u go abi u are just reasoning emotionally. The decision to prosecute is the prerogative of the executive. All of u chanting rubbish have neither seen the case file nor studied the evidence. It's not enough to call them bh but how do u prove 1400 cases in court
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by allthingsgood: 7:09am On Feb 12, 2020
Ebenezar2020:

Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by oyatz(m): 7:20am On Feb 12, 2020
International laws comes into play in wars between two different sovereign Countries.

tartar9:

Terrorists captured by our gallant soldiers in battle are being released by the FG while the Terrorists are still waging war against the country and waxing stronger.

The FG release captured terrorists but the terrorists behead our captured soldiers.

This mean the those soldiers that laid down their lives fighting for Nigeria died in vain if the FG can house, clothes and feed their killers robustly before releasing them back into the society.
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by oyatz(m): 7:24am On Feb 12, 2020
tartar9:

I am surprised that a Nigerian citizen can write this to justify this evil.
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by ChristianNorth: 7:42am On Feb 12, 2020
allthingsgood:

Which law school did u go abi u are just reasoning emotionally. The decision to prosecute is the prerogative of the executive. All of u chanting rubbish have neither seen the case file nor studied the evidence. It's not enough to call them bh but how do u prove 1400 cases in court
The president has no such power to unilaterally release enemies of State. It is treason.

You are either a terrorist or sympathizer. What is this hediot saying?

There were arrested in the act
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by kilisi(m): 8:04am On Feb 12, 2020
helinues:

Repentant or ex inmates?

At least they served their time for their previous crime and that's very different from releasing terrorists without trial now.
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by helinues: 8:05am On Feb 12, 2020
kilisi:

Repentant or ex inmates?

At least they served their time for their previous crime and that's very different from releasing terrorists without trial now.

They served half of their prison time.. The last 2 attackers
Re: Legality Of Rehabilitating 'Repented' Terrorists by kilisi(m): 8:07am On Feb 12, 2020
tartar9:

They are both criminals

Not supporting any of them. In fact, I'm against the amnesty program as it has also become a means of siphoning money.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ngige,ekwunife Graced The Opening Of Johnbosco Onunkwo Tennis Court In Awka / Photos: Abuja Women Threw Surprise Birthday Party For V P Yemi Osinbajo / Babachir Lawal To Sanusi: The Masses You Speak For Will Stand For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.