Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,034 members, 7,807,096 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:27 AM

My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue (32965 Views)

My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires / My Landlord And I / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by cdyfoundation(m): 10:33am On Feb 13, 2020
This matter is strong. Alati se lo ma mo atise ara re.
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by philcz(m): 10:33am On Feb 13, 2020
cheesy
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by sammirano: 10:34am On Feb 13, 2020
Chief tenant. Lol
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Nickshrapnel: 10:34am On Feb 13, 2020
Sweetcollins:
Pls pay na
Why should he pay?

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Skyloloprince(m): 10:34am On Feb 13, 2020
Get a lawyer and write him.
Request that your rent should stop counting until he resolves the issue or ask for a refund of your money.

6 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by puffynana(m): 10:36am On Feb 13, 2020
It's not a must you clear all the outstanding on the meter once.
Call the person that came for inspection (the one asking for a bribe) pay him to make the connection right. Then proceed to buying energy token for the meter.

I believe the normal practice is to remove a fraction of what you owe from any energy purchased. Let's say u pay 3k, energy worth of 2k will be given to you then 1k will go to clearing the outstanding.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by balingaonline(m): 10:37am On Feb 13, 2020
just pay the Nepa a little and continue enjoying free light.
Happy birthday to me, I & myself.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by AntiWailer: 10:37am On Feb 13, 2020
Na wa
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by 36STATES: 10:37am On Feb 13, 2020
Alitair:
Have you seen how your Over-sabi and Holy holy has attracted a debt to you

A house that is not a virgin house, someone had lived there and for some reasons bypassed the PPM and connected directly. Thy holiness thought it illegal to enjoy light and went ahead to report to PHCN, even when the PHCN staff overlooked you Over sabi and asked for money to correct the fault, you refused and now you are complaining.

As you be Eze-Ego, go and clear the debts na or better yet.... Go and build your house and leave the man's house for him.

You brought this on yourself dear sir so kindly bear the burden.

Very childish and irresponsible comment.

14 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Emma1Oj(m): 10:37am On Feb 13, 2020
NeoWanZaeed:

Na 9ja we dey.. no bribe nothing go happen .

Bribe them and leave the money for meter for next tenant
He shld not bribe anybody otherwise they will turn him to their Atm wen eva dey nid money beside he will be living under fear.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by NeoWanZaeed(m): 10:38am On Feb 13, 2020
Emma1Oj:
He shld not bribe anybody otherwise they will turn him to their Atm wen eva dey nid money beside he will be living under fear.

So what do you think he should do
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Alitair(m): 10:39am On Feb 13, 2020
36STATES:

Very childish and irresponsible comment.

You sound like someone who would do exactly what OP did

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by drnoel: 10:39am On Feb 13, 2020
I believe it's possible to write to the PHC and explain the situation to them then follow it up. Since u are not the person that accrued the bill and the landlord is not forthcoming it's possible to reduce the total bill. They won't agree to cancel it completely but u would be mandated to make a certain amount of payment to have the general total of the bill uplifted.
I can remember my wife had similar problem years back when she moved into a new house. Most of these landlords are heartless. Anyway if memory serves me well the bill was about 90 K and after all said and done we had to only pay about 30 K but we gave the good Samaritan PHCN guy who informed us it was possible and helped us run the stuff about 10 K but only out of gratitude.
Pls inform urself and see if it's still done.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by NigeriaBam: 10:39am On Feb 13, 2020
This thing is everywhere. Landlord no go enter Paradise. Samething is happening to here presently.
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by EmmanuelCena(m): 10:40am On Feb 13, 2020
danduchi:
nawa ooo... U just packed in and started investigating.. Something you should've done before packing in

Seems like you don't know how occupied people could be.

He may not have the luxury of time.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by ylaa(f): 10:40am On Feb 13, 2020
Chai advice? What if he doesn't have a babalawo?
Hmmmm

quote author=NeoWanZaeed post=86594548]Sue him or threaten him with your babalawo.[/quote]
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by banio: 10:40am On Feb 13, 2020
Since the Landlord is not ready for Honesty. It is either you pay the debt or You pay the bribe.

This is Nigeria
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Ogaga87(m): 10:40am On Feb 13, 2020
Openedheavens:
I need nairalanders' advice concerning my present predicament.

I rented an apartment late last year and discovered my power wasn't disconnected despite having not made any recharge on the prepaid after 2 weeks.

I called my landlord brother who let the place out to me, to inform him about my findings, but he insisted that I was enjoying the recharge from the previous tenant.

I tried checking the balance through the small box used for recharging but it wasn't connecting and I believed it was a network issue

After about a month, my curiosity heightened and for the fact that I hate to be involved in anything illegal, I decided to make further inquiries concerning the metre.

My neighbor and chief tenant who has been in the house for about 4 years told me that there's debt on the metre which made the previous occupant connect directly while by passing the prepaid metre..

I called a friend who once worked with Nepa and he made findings saying the debt on the metre is 118,000 naira. I got the number of the landlord and decided to put a call to him last December.

He claimed that the house has been on prepaid metre since the erection of the building. And said I should ask Nepa how the debt was accrued..
I agreed with him so I decided to make more findings concerning how debt got on the metre.

During this period, a nepa official came for inspection, he dropped his phone number as I was not at home. I called him and explained everything to him..

He gave me the summary of the transaction which showed that the house owed a debt while on post paid, which was transfered on the prepaid meter when it was installed.
The nepa official indirectly asked me to bribe him so he would leave the metre not disconnected which I didn't oblige to.

He came last week to disconnect the metre and I have called the landlord who refused to find a solution to the problem.

My landlord claims he hasn't lived in the compound for a day and wouldn't be responsible for it. I suggested that I clear the bill and deduct it from my next rent. He refused.

I have been in darkness for over a week now and running on generator without any solution in sight.

What's the best measure I can take towards resolving this issue?

Threaten him with court or report him to human right watch and his brain will be reset to normal...
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by worldclass68(m): 10:41am On Feb 13, 2020
Openedheavens:

I rented an apartment late last year and discovered my power wasn't disconnected despite having not made any recharge on the prepaid after 2 weeks.

I called my landlord brother who let the place out to me, to inform him about my findings, but he insisted that I was enjoying the recharge from the previous tenant.

I tried checking the balance through the small box used for recharging but it wasn't connecting and I believed it was a network issue

After about a month, my curiosity heightened and for the fact that I hate to be involved in anything illegal, I decided to make further inquiries concerning the metre.

My neighbor and chief tenant who has been in the house for about 4 years told me that there's debt on the metre which made the previous occupant connect directly while by passing the prepaid metre..

I called a friend who once worked with Nepa and he made findings saying the debt on the metre is 118,000 naira. I got the number of the landlord and decided to put a call to him last December.

He claimed that the house has been on prepaid metre since the erection of the building. And said I should ask Nepa how the debt was accrued..
I agreed with him so I decided to make more findings concerning how debt got on the metre.

During this period, a nepa official came for inspection, he dropped his phone number as I was not at home. I called him and explained everything to him..

He gave me the summary of the transaction which showed that the house owed a debt while on post paid, which was transfered on the prepaid meter when it was installed.
The nepa official indirectly asked me to bribe him so he would leave the metre not disconnected which I didn't oblige to.

He came last week to disconnect the metre and I have called the landlord who refused to find a solution to the problem.

My landlord claims he hasn't lived in the compound for a day and wouldn't be responsible for it. I suggested that I clear the bill and deduct it from my next rent. He refused.

I have been in darkness for over a week now and running on generator without any solution in sight.

Should have given Cesar what belongeth to Cesar.........
Ok now u won drag it abi, u go Sha pay for an attorney....and fuel ur generator for a while too....

Should have saved yourself some stress just your precious tenant did.
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by NeoWanZaeed(m): 10:41am On Feb 13, 2020
ylaa:
Chai advice? What if he doesn't have a babalawo?
Hmmmm

quote author=NeoWanZaeed post=86594548]Sue him or threaten him with your babalawo.

Na joke a dey joke na..

A no mean am o
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by lexxyrule(m): 10:42am On Feb 13, 2020
Take him to court, he's to provide the precious tenant. Firstly, arrest him first and let him know you'll follow legal proceedure if he's not cooperative

But expect increment and/or quick notice afterwards
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by OgbeniSir(m): 10:43am On Feb 13, 2020
Openedheavens:

Na your over sabi cause am!! Instead make you de chop light de clean mouth, you de form bobo nice!! My friend goan pay the bill and keep kwayet

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by golddare: 10:43am On Feb 13, 2020
Openedheavens:

1.Get official document like light Bill's with dates to substantiate the official proofs by going to their office.
2. Send a copy to your Landlord through your lawyer.
3. Get the official to connect the light back for you in a way that you can use what you pay.
4. Ensure you document you monthly subscription details with receipts.
5. Start looking for another apartment towards the end of your rents and ensure you verify light Bill's.
6. If they come after you with light problems you can prove to them that you met the Bill's and show them you paid for the electricity you used during your tenure.
4. Start looking
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Saint99: 10:43am On Feb 13, 2020
This is not your debt except maybe the few months you have used the Electric without payment. Instead of bribing the Nepa official as we still call them, if you have your prepaid, you can negotiate with them to allow you install it without migrating the old debt to it. Otherwise you just move out.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by money121(m): 10:43am On Feb 13, 2020
Ok
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by DenreleDave(m): 10:44am On Feb 13, 2020
U just committed an offense.. How dare u call someone chief tenant online without his permission... U must be sued for this great insult

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Ginaz(f): 10:44am On Feb 13, 2020
When you do over sabi too much that’s what happens to you. Something was on its own and you were enjoying light but your over sabi didn’t let you rest. You keep investigating , well you have finally found your answers so shut up and stop complaining. Pay up your nepa bills.

Even they nepa guy said he would do it for you if you bribe him but your oversabi finally caught up with you. Mtchewww. undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by bigcee(m): 10:44am On Feb 13, 2020
Samofamo:
Small sense u don't have,u dey do like say u just come Nigeria....u go suffer na be small....
Advice him on what to do na, you that is sensible.

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Olam09(m): 10:45am On Feb 13, 2020
Wetin concern you for the meter you for don leave am like that alaye na itk and over sabi kill you oo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by 36STATES: 10:45am On Feb 13, 2020
Pay the bill if you have the money and send receipt to the landlord, stating why it is his responsibility to pay for it.
You can get your money back by owing him or refusing to pay or leave when your
rent expires, and he had not settled the issue fairly.
But make sure you have saved enough money to move to another house at the end of the drama.
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by staga: 10:45am On Feb 13, 2020
Best bet is to negotiate with the PHCN people and let them reduce the bill for you. Any other means will not work. That house has now been marked.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by brightgreat(m): 10:45am On Feb 13, 2020
Truth is na your over sabi don spoil things for you , why involve the PHCN guys when you saw the light like that or were you thinking they will clap for you for letting them know of this. It’s so obvious that the Former tenant bypassed the stuff which al tenants there are doing but see your life now you will pay heavily for your over sabi. Simple you shouldn’t have asked people in the compound how they have been doing before calling your Nepa friend and the other one cos now they know you won’t even be allowed to do that and run serious check would be made, don’t forget getting a new meter would cost you like 30k

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

'This House Is Not For Sale': Are They Really Not For Sale? / A Port Harcourt Neighbourhood Burning This Morning( Pictures) / Aba Tenant Given List Of Items To Contribute Following Death Of His Landlord

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.