Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,978 members, 7,806,854 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. (4323 Views)

Is It Right For Married People To Go Clubbing ??? / Why Can't Single People 'Just Say No' To Married People? / Should Married People Have Access To Each-Other’s Phones? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Blazay1: 10:16am On Dec 15, 2010
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20023157-71.html

November 17, 2010 4:22 PM PST
Minister: Married couples should get off Facebook
by Chris Matyszczyk Font size Print E-mail Share 37 comments Yahoo! BuzzShare 80712diggsdiggIt seems we can't all get along. It seems that everyone is splitting up these days.

Today, one reads of Eva Longoria filing divorce papers against the San Antonio Spurs' Tony Parker. Indeed, the Huffington Post now has a whole section devoted just to divorce.

Can we possibly blame the Church of Social Networking, Facebook, for these woes? Or at least some of them? Might Facebook be to blame for creating so many desperate housewives and husbands?

One man of God, the Rev. Cedric Miller, believes that all married couples should close their Facebook accounts in order to protect the sanctity of their marriages.

According to the Associated Press, the pastor of the Living World Christian Fellowship Church in New Jersey declared that, merely in the last six months, 20 couples beneath his wing have fallen into marital woes because one or other partner friended a former paramour on Facebook.

(Credit: CC VMiramontes/Flickr)
He is so concerned by the havoc that such online stealth is wreaking on his flock that his first instinct was to order 50 officials of his church to close their accounts or leave their posts.

Sunday, he will reportedly preach that all of his married parishioners should shun Facebook from their Garden of Eden. He told the AP: "The advice will go to the entire church. They'll hear what I'm asking of my church leadership. I won't mandate it for the entire congregation, but I hope people will follow my advice."

It seems that the minister has already suggested to all of his married believers that they should exchange their Facebook passwords with their spouses. Which, some might say, aligns him with Mark Zuckerberg in the belief that privacy does not exist.

[size=16pt] "The temptation is just too great," the Rev. Miller, who is married, told the AP. He is, indeed, closing his own Facebook account, which he used to communicate with his six children.[/size]

However, one wonders just what the consequences might be if not everyone follows his advice. Will the Facebook status of your marriage define it as strong or weak? Will it become, as they say in the romance business, a deal-breaker for a husband to reveal his Facebook password? What if that password is actually the first name of his former lover? Or, indeed, of his first wife?

This social networking thing is attacking the very fundaments of our society. How can we defend ourselves from its relentless battering of our mores? Let's start a Facebook group and talk about it.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20023157-71.html#ixzz18AbNQWPx
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Blazay1: 10:20am On Dec 15, 2010
http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/08/03/she-found-out-her-husband-had-another-wife-via-facebook/

[size=16pt]Facebook Betrayal? Wife Discovers Husband's Second Wedding Online[/size]   

Here at Lemondrop, we know love is complicated.

But you better sit down before you read the story of Lynn France, her husband's betrayal and his surprise second wedding to another woman, which she found on Facebook -- all of which she took public on the "Today" show this morning.

First, let's review: Last week, the mother of three from Cleveland was going only by "Megan" in a local TV report, and we can understand why. While it might sting to find out that an ex is now officially hitched via Facebook, it's another thing altogether to discover your current husband is not only having an affair, but that he married the Other Woman in a very public wedding at Disney World.

What's perhaps even more shocking is the fact that, after she discovered the wedding online, Lynn TOOK HIM BACK. shocked

But let's back up. To 2005, to be precise.

That's the year Lynn and her husband, John, tied the knot. They wed in Italy, in an elaborate destination wedding on the Amalfi coast. John became a stepfather to Lynn's son from a previous marriage, then the couple had two more boys together.

[size=16pt]As early as 2008, John began taking more frequent business trips, and Lynn suspected -- upon finding his passport at home while he was supposed to be in China -- that he was cheating. Smart girl. [/size]

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Then, in October of that year, she discovered him in a hotel with another woman, who, when Lynn confronted them, told Lynn she planned to marry her husband. John moved out.

Awful so far, but understandable. We really feel for Lynn.

[size=16pt]Then one day, Lynn logged on to Facebook, and up popped over 200 photos of her husband walking down the aisle at Disney World with his Other Woman. Felled by privacy settings! Turns out the woman's friend had posted the photos, and She Who Shall Not Be Named had recently changed her settings to Public.[/size]

To make matters more surreal, at the wedding Lynn's husband was dressed as Prince Charming, the Other Woman as Sleeping Beauty.

grin grin grin

And now comes the weird, we're-really-not-sure-what-to-make-of-this plot twist: Three months later, Prince Charming came crawling back, promising to annul his marriage to Creeping Beauty and make good with Lynn.

Against her better judgment, and her lawyer's advice, she took him back.

[size=16pt]On May 21, John returned, took the couple's two sons with him, and headed back to Florida with his other wife. [/size]

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Now, says Lynn, she hasn't seen her kids since, and she's watching "someone else live her life online."

Though still being wed to Lynn would officially make John a bigamist, his lawyer says that the two were never legally married, citing legal loopholes about "crossing their T's" on the marriage certificate in Italy.

What We Make of All This
-- Sadly, as we've reported before, stories of guys living double lives are more common than you might think.

-- Even the fact that Lynn found the second wedding on Facebook is becoming hair-raisingly routine. "This is very common," one lawyer told WKYC. "People do and broadcast silly things on Facebook ,  because they're silly, or because they want to be caught."

-- What apparently isn't common knowledge yet: If you catch your husband cheating and then marrying the Other Woman, it's not a problem with privacy settings. We suggest you quit clicking photos and look into divorce.

See the whole heart-wrenching clip below:
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Blazay1: 10:23am On Dec 15, 2010
Mu he he he he grin

Wonders will never end.

I only lasted two weeks on that damned Face Book. Never to be revisited. No, I did not find anyone or anything interesting about it. Too many gossips and a whole load of juveniles. You really have to by unemployed to keep up with the buzz in that place. Well, to each his or her own. What ever floats right? wink
More Face Book/Online Romance horrors to come.

Searching. . . .
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by ifyalways(f): 10:30am On Dec 15, 2010
FBK  cheesy
Getting off fbk or any social site is not the answer.A cheat wud always cheat but if ur loins are weak/ur marriage is shaky,like my Xtian brethren wud preach,dont give room to the Devil,cut off every appearance of evil/temptation.However,married ones shld know when and where to draw the line when online.
I personally find it weird when i see married dudes flipping suggestive pictures online,begging for attention?
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Blazay1: 10:38am On Dec 15, 2010
^^^

Getting off NL is the answer. cheesy(can't wait. . . nothing to do in Nigeria I tellya) cry
If one has a healthy network of friends in reality. . .why bother with FB? undecided
I agree, a cheat is a cheat,
But that FB is the evil of all evils.
Takes quality time from family and friends. Not just the risk of cheating.

All to chase phantoms that are nothing but fake.

Often times, as soon as you get to know those 'figments' of imaginations a little closely. . .you discover they are ALL psychos. grin
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Blazay1: 10:46am On Dec 15, 2010
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/09/second-life-divorce-woman_n_165291.html

Internet Addiction, John Best, Lisa Best, Second Life, Second Life Divorce,

Media News week, a man informed his wife that he wanted a divorce via Facebook. This week, a woman wants a divorce after catching her husband in a virtual affair on Second Life!

The UK's News of the World reports that Lisa Best caught her husband, John, "with his online trousers round his ankles--having gay dungeon romps in the web world Second Life."

cheesy cheesy cheesy

[size=16pt]Last week, a man informed his wife that he wanted a divorce via Facebook. This week, a woman wants a divorce after catching her husband in a virtual affair on Second Life![/size]

The UK's News of the World reports that Lisa Best caught her husband, John, "with his online trousers round his ankles--having gay dungeon romps in the web world Second Life."

The News of the World report continues:

The van driver was sitting up beside her at 4am tapping away frenetically--living out his fantasy through his avatar, or online character, called Troy Hammerthall when Lisa opened an eye and caught sight of the screen.

"I saw John's little person having it off with another man in a dungeon on the screen," said horrified Lisa, 28.

wink wink wink

"I just froze with my head on the pillow, silently watching what he was doing. I felt sick to my stomach.

According to the report, Lisa is divorcing John over the incident and claims it speaks to a larger problem in their marriage — an apparent internet addiction:
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Blazay1: 10:56am On Dec 15, 2010
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/31/facebook-sex-divorce

[size=16pt]He two-timed me on Facebook.[/size]

But our divorce will be for real

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Georgina Hobbs-Meyer discovered her husband had had cyber sex. Now she has two warnings for users of social networking sites: your whole life can be exposed - and don't get dumped online

Georgina Hobbs-Meyer: 'Their lusty emails touched on poetry, but were infused with textspeak.' Photograph: Jessica Zamora-Turner/Observer

My mother emailed me last week to tell me she had joined Facebook. We don't chat on the phone; we email. Soon I expect she will want to poke me, write on my wall and, worse still, tag me in photographs of my wedding last May. Well, not if I can help it, mama. I love you too much to expose you to my online self.

You see, she doesn't yet know that I, her 24-year-old daughter, am about to divorce. She can't see my Facebook status, so why would she?

Mummy, how do I tell you I'm a Facebook divorcee? That the son-in-law you try so hard to like cheated on your only daughter using the social networking site you so adore? That your daughter learnt of her imminent divorce via Google Mail's free chatting facility, Gchat?

Prince Harry may know how I feel. Would he even have known that he was single again if Chelsy Davy hadn't flagged it up on Facebook? Her recently changed status cascaded through her friends' newsfeeds to inform all that she was no longer in a relationship. Snap went the trademark red heart, sending gossip rocketing offline and on to the printing presses, neatly bypassing Clarence House. Headline: "Chelsy Davy: A change of heart on Facebook."

Oh Prince Harry, yours is a state I know too well. You, me, all of us, we're helpless to defend ourselves once our partners rush to Facebook our misery over a thousand flickering screens. The sad truth is that, once you announce your relationship on Facebook, and for as long as you are linked to one another by html, your status – hell, your love life – is on show to all. Even though I've opted to delete my relationship status rather than modify it Chelsy-style (she, like my husband, distastefully rushed to invite comment on fresh singledom), people will see the photographs of my wedding and draw obvious conclusions.

Not that many people take relationship statuses to heart. Even if they should, they do not read "X is married to Y" and immediately write off the object of their affection as unobtainable. My divorce is proof of that.

It began with a woman he met at a party. But it was within the sticky web of Facebook where they really got to know each other, despite the photos of us and our "married to, " status. I know this because my husband once logged on to Facebook and foolishly left the room. I began to use his Mac, only to find myself blasted into the middle of a sizzling cyber romance.

And once I was in, I was hooked. Their lusty emails touched on bad Beat poetry, but were infused with textspeak, their coy cyberflirts rife with emoticons. It felt like I was stuck in a hyper-reality where Douglas Coupland wrote Danielle Steel novels. "Could this really be happening six months into my marriage?" I wanted to comment on my own Facebook wall.

And whatever Facebook was before that – a relatively innocuous way to keep up with friends, I suppose – it has since taken on a more demonic intent.

Most infuriating is my near-constant Facebook-style method of internal communication that I cannot switch off. Whenever I do something, I narrate internally. Something like: "Georgie is hacking into her husband's Facebook account just to see if she knows the password,  Georgie is pleased she knows the password!,  Georgie is disturbed to find her husband chatting to a very pretty 19-year-old rather a lot,  Georgie is furthermore disturbed to discover her husband is partaking in CyberLove with said 19-year-old!,  Georgie is slowly realising that while she has been Facebook-chatting with her husband, he has simultaneously been sending the 19-year-old dirty messages!!,  Georgie is considering divorce." That's pretty much how it went.

Actually, I didn't get round to asking for a divorce. Pathetically, I did feel somewhat vindicated when my husband, once caught, deleted the 19-year-old at my request. And what did her status read? "Someone deleted me! I know who you are!" Scary stuff.

So, divorce. I don't know anything about getting a divorce after you have caught your husband having real sex, let alone text sex. If a poke is slang for fornication in real life, but polite in social networking terms, where do I stand?

Instead, I asked him to fly back to his home country so we could take a break from one another. I still wasn't sure how fatal a crime two-timing online was – me and her duped by the same typist; sex with me in the marital bed, sex with her via keyboard.

I received a curt Facebook message from him a few months later asking to "book some Skype time". This was serious. Skype, the videophone software that allows you to talk face to face to anyone in the world with an internet connection, was not used lightly between us. When we courted but lived in different countries, it was through Skype that we would have our most intimate conversations, eye to eye. Almost.

Playing cool, I demurred: "Just email your concerns." But before he'd got a chance, we found ourselves on Google chat. Here is a transcript of the conversation: Me: "why cant u just email some of what u want to chat via skype?"

He: "i think we need to get divorced, and move on from this point in our life, I still love you, but our marriage has failed and needs to be over."

The typing is appalling – but not unusually so. It's also inaccurate. The marriage didn't fail. It's just that he couldn't resist typing things that he thought would have no consequence in the flesh and blood world. But no longer. The two worlds are on a collision course. The question is, which will take precedence – the Facebook hyperbole where all and nothing can be summed up with a "?" and a "!", a world where self-promotion cuts out the middle man and you're the last to know if your own daughter is married? Looks like it.

I know divorce was never nice, but wasn't there a time when communication, on the whole, was romantic? Painfully slow, granted, but perhaps a chance to reflect is what we need. Where once it was smoke signals across the American plains, homing pigeons over chimney tops or calling cards plucked from silver trays, we now have the puerile, typically misspelt, Facebook status update. With all the charm of an overbearing town crier on a caffeine overload, the monster of Facebook feeds off our ids, leaving us bored office workers and near-royalty wrecked after a day of reading between the comments.

Now single and unable to delete my husband from my list of friends (I am paralysed every time I try), I'm acutely aware that he can see my every move, just as I can see his. Foolishly, I fiddled with my settings and ramped up the amount of information I am fed about him. When he adds a friend or pretentiously quotes the vacuous Bret Easton Ellis in his status updates, it makes me want to vomit. And still I ramp it up.

This perverse circumstance has seen me go the way of the online bunny-boiler. I've added more friends than I care to mention just to infuriate him. I've got buddies I've never met in New York and Australia, a Canadian spammer who believes that raw food cures cancer and – worst of all – people I dislike in real life. I even tried adding Chelsy Davy since, from hard-nosed appearances at least, she's doing pretty well.

[size=16pt]The pursuit of letting endless idiots become my friends is draining. Having to then show off about it with a wall comment, more so. "Georgie is wondering what is happening to her, her friends and the man she married? Txt bak!"

No, Facebook is not for you, mother; it is for the bored, the boring, the unfulfilled. Install it on your BlackBerry or iPhone at will (my husband just did), but don't let it fool you. Just because you're mobile and telling us about it doesn't mean you're going anywhere interesting fast.[/size]
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Blazay1: 11:02am On Dec 15, 2010
[size=16pt]The pursuit of letting endless idiots become my friends is draining. Having to then show off about it with a wall comment, more so. "Georgie is wondering what is happening to her, her friends and the man she married? Txt bak!"

No, Facebook is not for you, mother; it is for the bored, the boring, the unfulfilled. Install it on your BlackBerry or iPhone at will (my husband just did), but don't let it fool you. Just because you're mobile and telling us about it doesn't mean you're going anywhere interesting fast. [/size]

Gbam
Gbam
Gmamology!

More to come. . . .
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by ifyalways(f): 11:02am On Dec 15, 2010
Blazay1:

^^^

Getting off NL is the answer. cheesy(can't wait. . . nothing to do in Nigeria I tellya) cry
If one has a healthy network of friends in reality. . .why bother with FB? undecided
I agree, a cheat is a cheat,
But that FB is the evil of all evils.
Takes quality time from family and friends. Not just the risk of cheating.

All to chase phantoms that are nothing but fake.

Often times, as soon as you get to know those 'figments' of imaginations a little closely. . .you discover they are ALL psychos. grin
lol
. . .waiting for u to get off NL,how wud Fsstranger and co. cope without u ?  cheesy
@Bolded,i don't agree totally,One good thing with FBK is that it sure helps reconnect with lost old school friends,families and relatives staying in different states.
lol@"our divorce will be real"  cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Blazay(m): 11:10am On Dec 15, 2010
^^^

Oh lord. . .fstranger. grin Can't wait to get rid of him too. He is in my dreams I tellya. The one reason I really have to get off NL after the holidays. What a pest! cheesy

You don't agree totally? Ok. If anyone can get the least of satisfaction from FBK why not. It did nothing for me I tellya.

When I started getting unclothed pictures of old girlfriends in my mail box, I knew it was time to get the heck out of dodge.

Not a saint by anymeans. . . but not my standards.

As for connecting with old school mates and relatives. . . I don't need those either. Not socially gregarious by any means. Too busy anyway.
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by ifyalways(f): 11:18am On Dec 15, 2010
^For real  shocked how desperate can one get.
Anyway,they have a good privacy option;blocking,removing etc.
I must say,i have seen peeps with 1,500 friends,they tweet abi update abt any and every thing going on in their lives.  shocked
As they say,each man to his lump of fufu.
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Blazay(m): 11:51am On Dec 15, 2010
^
Not desperate, just plain mischief. A lot of mind games. Nothing genuine or well-intentioned. The reason I feel only psychos would roam around there.
I saw all the privacy options and all but just plainly lost interest after getting messages in my mail box like 'aki and paw-paw are now connected'. cheesy

Do I know aki? No.
Do I know paw paw? No.
My business with one or both? Nada.

Why inform me? undecided
1,500 friends tweeting and updating everything going on in their lives? Well, God bless them.
Yup, to each his own.  . . . 'lump of fufu, amala, akpu, eba or iyan'. . . cheesy
Not in the cards for me. I like to fight with fstranger online without getting anywhere close to him. . .

Frankly, I am waaay past the age and stage of making new friends or hooking up with old ones.  I could use my brains and resources for more productive things.

Besides, I don't like 'changes' or dealing with 'new' issues in old 'skins'.

People generally do not interest me. . .unless they have productive lives. . .so count meeting single people OUT!

Oh, well. Spambot  has freed my original handle. . .let me go in search of fstranger and co. cheesy
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by HARDDICK(m): 2:02pm On Dec 17, 2010
From facebook i have slept with 16 women,10 singles and 6 married,is an easy place to flirt and screw a lady
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Blazay(m): 2:53pm On Dec 17, 2010
^^^

That also means that 16 women screwed you too. . .please use rubber o. shocked

Baba Godi o!
cheesy
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Blazay2: 3:24pm On Dec 17, 2010
http://www.thomascrampton.com/uncategorized/how-facebook-ended-my-marriage/

Nairaland says posting from this link is a 'spam' activity. cheesy

Next one please. . .

http://marriagejunkie.com/2009/01/22/is-facebook-a-cyber-threat-to-your-marriage/

January 22, 2009
Is Facebook a Cyber Threat to Your Marriage?

Part One of a Two-Part Series: Facebook and Your Marriage by K. Jason and Kelli Krafsky

Ever since the internet has become a regular part of the human experience, cyberspace has been implicated as an accomplice in online affairs, real life adultery, and the break-up marriages.

With every new online fad have come the stories of spouses wandering away from their marriage to a new cyber love interest.  Media has spotlighted tales and trends of online affairs starting through chat rooms, MySpace, Second Life, websites and online forums.

Is Facebook, the world’s fastest growing online social network, just another in a long list of cyber threats to your marriage?

Having been active Facebook users for awhile and experiencing the good, the bad, and the ugly of participating in an online social network, we recognize there are potential threats to your relationship.  But the ultimate threat is not the latest technology … it is the choices you make online and offline … in cyberspace and real life.

Being raised during the divorce culture, we’ve witnessed too many marriages break apart due to infidelity.  Spouses that seemed to have a strong and healthy marriage gave in to the ultimate temptation.

Before meeting Kelli, I (Jason) was given the book Hedges: Loving Your Marriage Enough to Protect It, and I read it with great sobriety and humility.  The opening sentence of the first chapter gripped my heart and mind, “sexual immorality hits frighteningly close to home. Without being aware of the need to protect ourselves against it, we are vulnerable.”

At age 11, my home was devastated by sexual immorality when my dad had an affair…eventually breaking our family apart.   Committed not to follow in his footsteps, I devoured the rest of the book and at age 21, established my own set of hedges, setting boundaries in my relationships to protect my future marriage.

When Kelli and I met, fell in love, and made the decision to marry, we also chose to do everything in our power to protect our marriage.  Hedges and Boundaries in Marriage are great books that share practical ways to set up safeguards for your marriage with the other relationships in your life.

Establishing personal boundaries is a part of everyday life with friends, co-workers, clients, and extended family members.  Setting up boundaries around the marriage relationship is a key step to proactively protecting yourself, your spouse, your marriage, your kids, and your reputation.

In the final book of the Old Testament, Malachi 2 talks about setting up a protective perimeter around the covenant relationship, “And what does he want from marriage? Children of God, that’s what. So guard the spirit of marriage within you. Don’t cheat on your spouse. ‘I hate divorce,’ says the God of Israel…’I hate the violent dismembering of the ‘one flesh’ of marriage.’ So watch yourselves. Don’t let your guard down. Don’t cheat.” (The Message).

One of the boundaries we set up as a perimeter around our relationship is that neither of us will be alone with someone of the opposite gender.  Not because we are worried about the other cheating, but to avoid the appearance of impropriety or being caught in a potential he said/she said situation.  We’ve heard too many stories of how an accusation (some true, some false) has tarnished a reputation or ended a career.  Being active Facebookers, we have adopted our real life set of boundaries for our online world with Facebook friends (FB friends).

Five Ways to Diffuse the Cyber Threats to Your Marriage

(1)    Set Safeguards With Your Mate – Discuss with your mate: What FB friends and groups are inbounds or out-of-bounds?  How much information about yourself and family is too much information?  Are either of you uncomfortable with potential FB friends? Are any communication methods off limits?

We keep our correspondences with people of the opposite gender public by posting on their “walls,” or limited to commenting on status updates.  We also keep each other informed of Facebook emails from people, and avoid chatting with people of the opposite gender. Whatever your safeguards, be sure that both you and your spouse are on the same page when it comes to what is or is not acceptable for each other on Facebook.  A little bit of prevention can go a long way in safeguarding your relationship.

(2)    Don’t Post Negative Things About Your Spouse – A lot of banter, complaining, and sharing occur when people post their status updates. It is common for FB friends to whine about the weather, joke about a frustrating work issue or report on something new in their life.  But it is always uncomfortable when someone complains about their spouse or kids.  While it may not seem like a big deal to the one posting, the majority of the readers don’t have enough context or information to know if something is a simple tease or an exasperated gripe.

Avoid giving too much information about the annoying things your spouse is or is not doing, and be sure not to embarrass them in your status update, or through posting pictures or videos.  Don’t get back at your spouse for something through a public comment.

Typing is not the same as talking … so don’t use the keyboard in an attempt to resolve an issue, talk it through in private!

(3)    Choose Your Friends Wisely – When first getting started on Facebook, finding FB friends and accepting FB friend requests can be very exciting because you’re reconnecting with people from your past.  Ultimately, it is your decision to accept them into your social network.  They can be family members, friends, neighbors, co-workers, associates, long-lost friends or past flames.  Once FB friends are accepted, they see and view everything you post publicly and vice-versa.  One question to ask when requesting or accepting a FB friend is, “would my spouse be comfortable with me being ‘friends’ with this person?”

Listen to your heart, and if you’re still not sure, ask your spouse.

(4)    Play It Smart With Who You Talk About What With – A common pattern arises when reading a variety of news stories on internet affairs.  A spouse starts chatting with someone of the opposite gender about their relationship woes.  Over time, the live chats turn to emails that turn to phone calls that turn to face-to-face meetings that turn to… you get the picture.  And when the adulterous relationship becomes public knowledge, the confiding spouse proclaims, “I never meant for this to happen!”  Learn from other people’s mistakes.  Avoid discussing your relationship difficulties with people of the opposite gender, and be careful of developing too close of a confidant online.

In the book, Not “Just” Friends, infidelity expert Shirley Glass writes that building too close of a relationship with someone online enters the danger zone “because it meets all three criteria that discriminate between a platonic friendship and an emotional affair: emotional intimacy…secrecy…(and) sexual chemistry…sexual contact is not a requirement for betrayal.”

The best way to avoid going down the slippery slope is to avoid climbing the hillside in the first place. (Take a free online quiz to determine if your online friendships are taking you up the slopes.)

(5)    If In Doubt, Defriend Them – Because you can’t judge a person by their profile picture, you may have regrets of becoming FB friends with someone.  Their posts might be offensive or uncomfortable to you.  Or it may be that you have a FB friend who sparks feelings in you and you find yourself looking at their profile often or looking for their next post. You may be chatting with them or online flirting with them.  Or your spouse may be uncomfortable with your being friends with a past love interest.  Defriend the threat! Go to their profile page and in the bottom left column is a link to remove them as a friend (and they don’t get a notice that they are no longer your friend).

Any relationship with someone else that jeopardizes your marriage is not a relationship worth keeping.

It is unfortunate that marriages have been broken apart due to a spouse’s inappropriate activities on Facebook.

If you or your spouse have crossed the line emotionally or physically with someone else, Not “Just” Friends, Marriage on the Mend: Tangible Tools to Restore Your Relationship, Unfaithful: Rebuilding Trust After Infidelity, Close Calls: What Adulterers Want You to Know About Protecting Your Marriage, and Torn Asunder: Recovering From an Extramarital Affaircan help you take steps to repair this serious breach.

Keep in mind the words from Hebrews 13, “Honor marriage, and guard the sacredness of sexual intimacy between wife and husband. God draws a firm line against casual and illicit sex.” (The Message)

While Facebook is becoming one of the most popular gathering places on the internet, it doesn’t have to be a cyber threat to your marriage. Marriages are vulnerable to all kinds of online and real-life threats because the couples have failed to set up proper boundaries of protection and accountability.

[size=16pt]And while nothing is completely foolproof, these principles are practical tips to help you protect your most important and cherished relationship. Ultimately, it is up to you to make good decisions and wise choices and to have open lines of communication with your mate … whether you’re online or not.[/size] ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

K. Jason and Kelli Krafsky have been married since 1994 and are co-authors of Facebook and Your Marriage (2010). Jason and Kelli have co-written three blog articles (Our Top Dozen Do’s and Don’ts for Facebooking Couples, Is Facebook a Cyber-Threat to Your Marriage?, and How Facebook Can Improve Your Marriage) that have been widely distributed, written about and reposted.   Jason also authored Before “I Do” – Preparing for the Full Marriage Experience, an interactive premarital book for engaged and seriously dating couples. The Krafskys live in the foothills of Washington’s Cascade Mountains with their four children. Contact them at info@FBMarriage.com, on Twitter or through Facebook.

Copyright © 2009 K. Jason and Kelli Krafsky – Permission granted to use and reproduce with proper source citation.
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Blazay2: 3:37pm On Dec 17, 2010
^^^

Anyone that allows Face Book to 'break' up his or her marriage must be mentally-challenged. How can that be? undecided

This must be serious.
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Blazay2: 3:40pm On Dec 17, 2010
http://thegenderblenderblog./2009/05/14/beware-facebook-can-break-up-your-marriage/

Beware! Facebook can break up your marriage!
Oh, the things people say…

An Oklahoma news station has a recent story about how online social networking sites (case in point: Facebook) can be “hazardous to marriages”:

“We see about 40 percent of the couples coming in, there is a link to Facebook or to MySpace that has caused a breach in their marriage,” said licensed marriage and family therapist Tara Fritsch.

So, out of all possible other reasons why a marriage would fall apart, Facebook or MySpace seem to be a primary culprit. How so?

The Edmond therapist said most connections start off innocently enough.

“An ex-love, an old flame — there’s a nostalgia there. There’s memory of the simple days or maybe excitement of new romance,” she said.

Your significant other on Facebook is a threat to your relationship. What if your partner’s Facebook friends are people s/he went to high school, college, or grad school with? What if your partner realizes from looking at one of their friend’s pictures that so-and-so from way back when is attractive now and decide to ditch you to pursue him/her instead?

Fritsch says that couples should establish guidelines to monitor their use of online social networking sites:

“If it’s not something you want your spouse to know about, don’t do it. Have open communication with your spouse. Share your Facebook or MySpace sites. Have one another’s passwords. Talk regularly about who you are chatting with,” Fritsch said.

Come on now, is this really necessary? Have each other’s passwords? Talk regularly about who you are chatting with? Adults, especially ones in relationships, do not need to be monitored like they are children. People are entitled to privacy and if the relationship is founded on trust and open communication then there is no need to be paranoid about whether or not your partner is going to cheat on you with a Facebook friend. You can’t wall off your partner’s exposure to and communication with other people, you shouldn’t have access to his/her Facebook (just like you shouldn’t have access to his/her email or text messages), and you shouldn’t be policing who your partner communicates with on or off-line. That’s just ridiculous and controlling.

Of course it’s easier and much more of an oversimplification to blame social networking sites for cheating and failed marriages. And also, I love how the article seems to put marriage on a pedestal – it’s so crucial that people remain married at all costs, even if their relationship is already on the rocks. So, if you want to save your relationship (or if it doesn’t quite need saving yet, just make sure it lasts),

[size=16pt]get rid of your Facebook or Myspace account if you haven’t already![/size]
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Osama10(m): 4:19am On Dec 27, 2010
Generally people need to watch it, the kind of stuff people put in there is absurd.
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Sinachee: 10:40pm On Feb 02, 2013
To save your life too!
Too many PSYCHOS out there! kiss

THE CRAZZZE HAS NOW EXTENDED TO SINGLE PEEPS!

https://www.nairaland.com/1066985/cynthia-osokogu-laid-rest-boji-boji

WEY MY BOYFRIEND JARE. . .?
Nothing like dating MATURE WEALTHY married men that are too busy MAKING MONEY to full around the H-INTERNET with juvenile CYBER RIFF-RAFFS! cool
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Sinachee: 10:58pm On Feb 02, 2013
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Jellitah: 8:21am On Feb 03, 2013
LIKE IT TAKES A DIM-WIT TO FIGURE THIS OUT? cheesy 2 weeks was all I could handle on the damn thing. BORRRRRRRRRRRRRING IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT. cry

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2011/09/facebooks-newest-challenge-being-boring/42595/

[b]
[size=20pt]Facebook's Newest Problem: Being Boring
[/size]

Adam Clark Estes 35,553 ViewsSep 16, 2011

A new theory about the fate of Facebook is floating around the internet. Mike Elgan says it best:

[size=20pt]"Don't look now, but Facebook is quickly becoming the new Yahoo." And he doesn't mean that as a compliment. [/size]

The backlash comes hot on the heels of Facebook announcing two new features: the Subscribe button and Smartlists. We pointed out at the time that the Subscribe button negates the need for Twitter--or at least Facebook would hope so. It's not dissimilar to Yahoo launching its own social network, Mash, at the same time that Facebook was becoming recognized as the world's primary social network. Yahoo shuttered the service after only a year. Similarly, Facebook's Smartlists is an obvious repackaging of Google+'s major innovation, Circles. Kind of like that time that Yahoo repackaged Yahoo Mail as Ymail in a naked attempt to compete with the new rising star Gmail. All the while, Yahoo survived because of their Herculean traffic numbers and the display ad revenue that came with that.

As Elgan says, Facebook's ability to make money means that it probably won't disappear or fail, but like Yahoo, it will continue to become painfully boring:

Yahoo has no vision. It has no purpose. It's dispensable. Yahoo continues like a zombie, animated by the life it once had.

And that's what Facebook is becoming. Yes, they'll continue to have users. And yes, they'll continue to make money. But Facebook is looking increasingly like a one-trick pony that doesn't have the vision to reinvent itself for the post-Facebook era.

Some people don't think this is such a big problem. Farhad Manjoo at Slate lauds Facebook's new Smartlists and Subscribe button, pointing out that lax patent laws on the web mean that "Facebook is free to grab what it wants with both fists." Manjoo thinks that Facebook does it well, too. "I hope they keep at it," he continues. "If there's a good feature on some other social network, why should I have to leave Facebook to get it?"

The obvious reason is that Facebook doesn't actually copy others' products that well--or to take a more objective route, users simply aren't catching on to the new copycat features. In a trajectory that very much resembles Yahoo Mash, Facebook launched and killed its Groupon and Foursquare copycats within a year. Facebook announced last October that it was going to reinvent email and messaging, but it didn't quite work out that way. "Facebook hasn't talked about it very much since," points out Matt Rosoff at Business Insider. "And we've never seen a message from a facebook.com address in any of our other email inboxes." Rosoff actually made a whole slideshow of examples of Facebook's failed copycat version. (We recommend viewing it as one page.)

Who knows. With Carol Bartz's departure and all kinds of chatter about some Silicon Valley savior swooping in to save the company, Yahoo could make an amazing turn around, and give Facebook's critics food for thought. In the meantime, we're still using Gmail, reading Twitter and checking in on Foursquare. Meanwhile, Facebook is still fantastic for looking up college friends' phone numbers. And Yahoo still has a lot of ads.
[/b]

I won't even do 'blogsites' not to talk of 'FACEBOOK'! grin
WHO WANNO READ OTHER PEOPLE'S REEEEEEEEEEETARDED OPINIONS? I ONLY CARE ABOUT MINEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! cool
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Nobody: 9:25am On Feb 03, 2013
I dislike facebook,just got tired of all the fakeness,nairaland rocks
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Jellitah: 10:08am On Feb 03, 2013
NAIRALAND FOR EVER JARE! tongue
You ban. . .I come back. REASONS: JUST TO KEEP TEACHING YOU A LESSON. . .THAT YOUR LAME EXCUSES FOR BANNING ARE DISINGENIOUS. . . .NOT TO MENTION ILLEGITIMATE. YOU CAN BAN ALL YOU WANT O. . . AND I CAN KEEP COMING BACK. . . kiss UNLESS YOU CAN BAN ALL THE ISPS OF KINKOS, BOOKS A MILLION, STARBUCKS. . . .EVEN MY LOCAL HAIR BRAIDERS GET FREE WIFIS! grin

I AM AN AMERICAN. . . AND I DO NOT CATER TO TERRORISTS. . .ON OR OFFLINE. THE BEST MEDICINE FOR YOU. . .IS TO KEEP LETTING YOU KNOW. . .I AM ALIVE AND WELL! cool WHILE YOU STILL CAN'T DO SHYTE! kiss

Oh. . . by the way. . .NVS chop SHYTE! DEWDROPS HAS RELOCATED [size=20pt]PERMANENTLY[/size] TO NL. . . AND PLANS TO DIE HERE!!!! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin PLEASE MAKE MY HANDLE A GUEST. . .FOR WE HAVE NOTHING TO OFFER EACH OTHER. kiss

I NOR GET TIME FOR 3 THREADS WITH 10 RECYCLED POSTERS IN 24HOURS. . . NOTHING TO OFFER! tongue
I'd rather deal with 1 Million recycled polymonikering 'andles. . . than just 3! MU CHE CHE CHE CHE CHE CHE

Abeg. . . no barry should 'jolos' my swag. . . .! I don't care to know you on or offline. . .FRANKLY, YOU AIN'T QUALIFIED TO ROLL WITH MOI. cool

The reason I don't do FACEBOOK OR CHAT ROOMS FROM FAILED DESPERADO BLOGGERS!

If I need a daaaaaaaaaaaaamn gooooooooooooood phock mate. . . it ain't one from an ONLINE SEWER! Been there, done that! THEY SUCK EVEN WORSE THAN ROTTEN, SUN-DRIED TOMATOS OR PRUNES!!! I HAVE UP-GRADED TO OFFLINE SUGAR-DADDIES WITH TOO MUCH TIME TO MAKE MONEY ONLY. NOT THOSE WHO FEEL LIKE 'LOCAL ONLINE CHAMPIONS' BY ACCUMULATING 'LIKES-BUTTON' POINTS FROM FACELESS, POLYMONIKERING, REEETARDED LOCAL-BUSSHITO GERI-JUVVY-KIDS. . .. . .EVEN WITHOUT A FIRST COLLEGE GRADUATION PARRRY IN THE CIVILIZED ANY PART OF THE CIVILIZED WORLD!!!kiss

My one kobo. . .[size=20pt]IT IS MY THREAD. . .AND I CAN DO AS I DAMN WELL PLEASE![/size] cool
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Jellitah: 10:25am On Feb 03, 2013
Back to topic! cool
This is BLAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAY!
THE ONLY MODERATOR OR SUPER MODERATOR OF THIS THREAD! cool
Re: Married People Should Get Off Face Book To Preserve Their Marriages. by Jellitah: 10:38am On Feb 07, 2013
Oh yes o. . . NL FOR EVER!!!. . . WATCH MY H-ENEMIES GO CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAZY!!!
THINGS TO THANK MY H-AGNOSTIC GAWWWWWWWWWWWD FOR!
E-BADU BELLE AND E JOLOSI KEEP QUENCHING ON NL. . . .

(1) (Reply)

My Younger Sister Or My Boss Daughter ?? / Must I Always Be The One To Initiate Sex With My Wife,advise Pls / After Her Wedding Was Canceled, A Bride’s Family Did Something Incredible!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.