Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,878 members, 7,802,831 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:50 PM

Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston (1449 Views)

The Bond Between The Igala And Igbo Ethnic Nationalities Of Nigeria - Some Histo / Princess Inikpi Buried Alive, Sacrificed For Survival Of The Igala Nation. Video / The Meaning Of Igala And The Igala People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by kayfra: 8:48pm On Feb 15, 2020
Journal of the Historical Society of Nigeria Vol. 2, No. 1 (December 1960)

Notes on Contact between the Igala and the Ibo by J.S. Boston

The history of the Anambra connection with the Igala kingdom is contained in the traditions of a group of related villages that form a clan known as Umueri.

This group is settled in two sections, roughly midway between Onitsha and Awka; the northern section is centered on Aguleri, an important trading town on the left bank of the river Anambra, and the southern section has its centre at Nri, some thirty miles away.

The towns forming the first section are Aguleri, Nteje and Oreri.

The northern Umueri villages say that the clan was founded by a man called Eri who came to the Anambra are from Igala country, and settled at Aguleri.

Some versions say that he was a hunter, and others that he was an Igala war leader; it is uncertain whether there was an existing settlement when Eri arrived or whether the locality was unoccupied.

Eri's first son, Nri left his father's home to found the town that bears his name, and other sons founded the remaining towns in this group.

Aguleri takes its own name from Eri's second son, Agulu, but the ruling families there trace their own descent from one Aguve, who is said to have been given the title of Eze by the Ata 'Gala at Idah.

jstor.org/stable/41970820

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by AlphaMogul: 6:00pm On Oct 17, 2021
kayfra:

The history of the Anambra connection with the Igala kingdom is contained in the traditions of a group of related villages that form a clan known as Umueri.

This group is settled in two sections, roughly midway between Onitsha and Awka; the northern section is centered on Aguleri, an important trading town on the left bank of the river Anambra, and the southern section has its centre at Nri, some thirty miles away.

The northern Umueri villages say that the clan was founded by a man called Eri who came to the Anambra are from Igala country, and settled at Aguleri.

Some versions say that he was a hunter, and others that he was an Igala war leader; it is uncertain whether there was an existing settlement when Eri arrived or whether the locality was unoccupied.

Eri's first son, Nri left his father's home to found the town that bears his name, and other sons founded the remaining towns in this group.

Aguleri takes its own name from Eri's second son, Agulu, but the ruling families there trace their own descent from one Aguve, who is said to have been given the title of Eze by the Ata 'Gala at Idah.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by KingOKON: 5:44am On Oct 19, 2021
So this Nri is Igala in origin, na wa Igbos just be all manner of mixtures yet dem say they are JEWs

2 Likes

Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by okigbojihad: 10:21pm On Oct 19, 2021
KingOKON:
So this Nri is Igala in origin, na wa Igbos just be all manner of mixtures yet dem say they are JEWs

your brain size is proportional to your midget body reasing u just spill this trash.

Nri is strongly rooted in Igbo culture and they have absolutely nothing in common with Igala.

believe this hogwash epistle at ur own peril.

2 Likes

Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by Abohboy: 11:25pm On Oct 19, 2021
okigbojihad:

your brain size is proportional to your midget body reasing u just spill this trash.

Nri is strongly rooted in Igbo culture and they have absolutely nothing in common with Igala.

There's evidence to show that Nri is closely connected to Igala whether the culture originated there isn't definite but there is a definite close link in trade and military as the Igala often hired Igbo warriors to fight in their wars

2 Likes

Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by KingOKON: 6:08am On Oct 20, 2021
okigbojihad:

Shut ur dirty 4kin mouth, I don't know your stock but Ibos are mixtures of Igalas idoma Ibibios Benins Tivs and even Ijebus, so when they also days that they are JEWs I just don't bother

1 Like

Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by KingOKON: 6:09am On Oct 20, 2021
Abohboy:

There's evidence to show that Nri is closely connected to Igala whether the culture originated there isn't definite but there is a definite close link in trade and military as the Igala often hired Igbo warriors to fight in their wars

Which wars?
Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by Abohboy: 9:55am On Oct 20, 2021
KingOKON:

Which wars?

Igala-Benin wars
Igala-Jukun wars
Igala-Nupe wars

But it's not definite just rumours that i've heard

1 Like

Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by KingOKON: 4:15pm On Oct 20, 2021
Abohboy:

Igala-Benin wars
Igala-Jukun wars
Igala-Nupe wars

But it's not definite just rumours that i've heard

I don't deal in rumors and this Igbo imaginary Igbo warriors were of which stock and under what chief, king or leader

2 Likes

Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by Abohboy: 4:25pm On Oct 20, 2021
KingOKON:

I don't deal in rumors and this Igbo imaginary Igbo warriors were of which stock and under what chief, king or leader

The Abam Warriors of the Ohafia region they were the most feared warriors in all of Igbo land and were often hired by Igala kings who had close links to the Igbos
Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by KingOKON: 4:35pm On Oct 20, 2021
Abohboy:

The Abam Warriors of the Ohafia region they were the most feared warriors in all of Igbo land and were often hired by Igala kings who had close links to the Igbos

Wonderful!
* So how did this Ohafia warriors moved over the Aros controlled IBO territories to go join the Igalas to do this rumors battles.
Lands, rivers or how.
Use the above map or ur knowledge of the location of Ohafia n Igala to explain the possibility
* Remember Slave trade was seriously going on

1 Like

Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by Abohboy: 4:43pm On Oct 20, 2021
KingOKON:

Wonderful!
* So how did this Ohafia warriors moved over the Aros controlled IBO territories to go join the Igalas to do this rumors battles.
Lands, rivers or how
* Remember Slave trade was seriously going on

The Ohafia Warriors were the warriors of the Aro which is why they were able to conquer so much land so quickly and the Aro and Igala had very good connections so in times of war the Aro was able to give the Igala warriors in exchange for products like leather from the north

1 Like

Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by KingOKON: 4:59pm On Oct 20, 2021
Abohboy:

The Ohafia Warriors were the warriors of the Aro which is why they were able to conquer so much land so quickly and the Aro and Igala had very good connections so in times of war the Aro was able to give the Igala warriors in exchange for products like leather from the north

See how you TWIST your tongue like Igbos rats

When did Aros start exchanging goods with the North?
Who between the Aros Benins and Ijaws must have had dealings with the Igalas?

1 Like

Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by Abohboy: 5:04pm On Oct 20, 2021
KingOKON:

See how you TWIST your tongue like Igbos rats

When did Aros start exchanging goods with the North?
Who between the Aros Benins and Ijaws must have had dealings with the Igalas?

It's clear that you've never heard of the trans saharan trade route and even internal trade routes in Nigeria go and read about them then come back to me

There was a market along the River Niger at Aboh and another one upstream at Idah and both of these hosted Igala, Igbo, Benin and Ijaw traders the Ijaws primarily bought yams from these markets and sold salt to the other groups and the Igala mainly sold leather products from the north and other agricultural goods at Idah if you don't know about trade just say so and I will say it now

Go onto Jstor and register for a free account under an independent researcher then search Aboh kingdom, Aboh and Idah, Aboh and Igala, Igbo and Igala then search about the Abam Warriors afterwards and you'll see and read everything that i've read no reason to continue this argument unless you've read what i've read

2 Likes

Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by KingOKON: 5:13pm On Oct 20, 2021
Abohboy:

It's clear that you've never heard of the trans saharan trade route and even internal trade routes in Nigeria go and read about them then come back to me

There was a market along the River Niger at Aboh and another one upstream at Idah and both of these hosted Igala, Igbo, Benin and Ijaw traders the Ijaws primarily bought yams from these markets and sold salt to the other groups and the Igala mainly sold leather products from the north and other agricultural goods at Idah if you don't know about trade just say so and I will say it now

Go onto Jstor and register for a free account under an independent researcher then search Aboh kingdom, Aboh and Idah, Aboh and Igala, Igbo and Igala then search about the Abam Warriors afterwards and you'll see and read everything that i've read no reason to continue this argument unless you've read what i've read

See crab, so it is free account you use come lemme give u access to Library of prestigious universities and especially the ones that colonized Nigeria

Lemme ask you one simple question, which port did the Aros ever controlled?
Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by Abohboy: 6:29pm On Oct 20, 2021
KingOKON:

See crab, so it is free account you use come lemme give u access to Library of prestigious universities and especially the ones that colonized Nigeria

Lemme ask you one simple question, which port did the Aros ever controlled?

Jstor literally has books from these presitgious universities and many other renowned scholars if you don't use a free account you either have to pay or login through a school account and most of the school accounts if you search through them are for top universities like Cambridge and Oxford so the fact that these schools provide a code to use to access Jstor should tell you how reliable and helpful it can be.

They didn't ever control a port they kidnapped and conquered people inland and sold them to the Calabaris at Calabar or the Ijaws and Igbos at Bonny and Brass respectively to sell them off to the Europeans
Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by KingOKON: 7:46pm On Oct 20, 2021
Abohboy:

Jstor literally has books from these presitgious universities and many other renowned scholars if you don't use a free account you either have to pay or login through a school account and most of the school accounts if you search through them are for top universities like Cambridge and Oxford so the fact that these schools provide a code to use to access Jstor should tell you how reliable and helpful it can be.

They didn't ever control a port they kidnapped and conquered people inland and sold them to the Calabaris at Calabar or the Ijaws and Igbos at Bonny and Brass respectively to sell them off to the Europeans

Why are u guys shameless?
First Ohafia then Aros, yet they never ever controlled any port then how did this warriors get accros the RIvers and territories controlled by either the Ijaws and Benins to fight for the Igalas?
I can very well see that it is Books from Igbos library u specialize on but just calling JSTOR so as to feel belonged, anyway very terrible knowledge of history you have gathered all courtesy of IPOB

What is Calabaris at calabar?
What is Igbos at Brass, what year and under what leader/ chief did this nonsense happen?

I ask questions because it is clear you guys are only being indoctrinated with IPOB lies over histories and facts that are well documented

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by Abohboy: 7:48pm On Oct 20, 2021
KingOKON:

Why are u guys shameless?
First Ohafia then Aros, yet they never ever controlled any port then how did this warriors get accros the RIvers and territories controlled by either the Ijaws and Benins to fight for the Igalas?
I can very well see that it is Books from Igbos library u specialize on but just calling JSTOR so as to feel belonged, anyway from terrible knowledge of history you have gathered all courtesy IPOB

What is Calabaris at calabar?
What is Igbos at Brass, what year and under what leader/ chief did this nonsense happen?

I ask questions because it is clear you guys are only being indoctrinated with IPOB lies over histories and facts that are well documented

Ports are at the Atlantic Ocean and not the River Niger you asked for a clan and I told you clan that the warriors were from was the Ohafia and they were under the Aro kingdom
Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by KingOKON: 7:53pm On Oct 20, 2021
Abohboy:

Ports are at the Atlantic Ocean and not the River Niger you asked for a clan and I told you clan that the warriors were from was the Ohafia and they were under the Aro kingdom

So all this circle you are running around makes meaning to you?
Who are calabaris at calabar?
Which Igbos were at Brass selling slaves during slave trade and under which leader?
Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by Abohboy: 7:58pm On Oct 20, 2021
KingOKON:

So all this circle you are running around makes meaning to you?
Who are calabaris at calabar?
Which Igbos were at Brass selling slaves during slave trade and under which leader?

Igbos at Bonny and Ijaws at Brass or even both groups in both locations at the same time and the Calabaris or Kalabaris are the indigenes of Calabar and its environs

1 Like

Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by KingOKON: 8:05pm On Oct 20, 2021
Abohboy:

Igbos at Bonny and Ijaws at Brass or even both groups in both locations at the same time and the Calabaris or Kalabaris are the indigenes of Calabar and its environs

I thought you were an IPOB but now I know you aren't even a Nigerian all this while
Come, which country are you from Congo or Jamaica?
Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by Abohboy: 9:14pm On Oct 20, 2021
KingOKON:

I thought you were an IPOB but now I know you aren't even a Nigerian all this while
Come, which country are you from Congo or Jamaica?

I'm a Nigerian from Ijebu Ode ( Maternal ) and Aboh Kingdom ( Paternal )

You're the one who doesn't seem Nigerian seeing as you don't know that Kalabaris exist in Nigeria and that they're the main inhabitants of Calabar and it's surrounding areas where did you think the name came from?
Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by KingOKON: 1:01am On Oct 21, 2021
Abohboy:

You're the one who doesn't seem Nigerian seeing as you don't know that Kalabaris exist in Nigeria and that they're the main inhabitants of Calabar and it's surrounding areas where did you think the name came from?

You are disgrace to your parents and common sense

1 Like

Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by wealthtrak: 3:45pm On Feb 18, 2022
Abohboy:

PLS NOTE:
Kalabari people refers to the Ijaw clans of Rivers State not Calabar.

Second, the Abams were allied to the Aro confederacy and went on slave raids or sold slaves of the interior Ibo country to the Ijaws of Bonny, Brass, Nembe, and other Ijaw areas because the Ijaws are the original settlers and middlemen between the Europeans and the Aros who brought the slaves or captives from the Ibo interior.
The advanced history books written by the whites and slave buyers who came to the Niger Delta many centuries back clearly state these facts.

The Igalas had a strong military and NEVER used any Abam fighters for any of the Igala wars with Oba Ewuare of Bini kingdom over 500 years ago, or with the Nupe and Jukun.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston by XAUBulls: 12:23am On Dec 08, 2023
kayfra:

(1) (Reply)

100 Things You Did Not Know About Africa/black People / OMG: The River Located Around The Popular Kara Market In Lagos Dried Overnight / Ooni Of Ife Offered Pastor Adeboye The Highest Sit In The Palace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.