Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:50 AM

Misconceptions About The Holy Spirit. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Misconceptions About The Holy Spirit. (248 Views)

Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. / Misconceptions About The Issue Of Being Born Again In Christianity. / What Has Changed About You Ever Since You Received The Holy Spirit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Misconceptions About The Holy Spirit. by ultimate77(m): 10:56am On Feb 16, 2020
Hello landers. Its a great privilege to still remain alive in this end times when the days are full of evil. We have seen and we are still seeing the trending situations practically pointing to the last days. The strange diseases like Lassa Fever and Corona virus which are the most prevalent at the moment. We have had records of may who have died In countries with larger economy and most sophisticated medical equipments.

I woke up this morning with gongs in my head about the Holy Spirit and how He operates. Some years ago as a kid, we were told that the Holy Spirit is like a dove, therefore, it exhibits the characteristics of a dove. The preacher went ahead to mention and explain the main characteristics of a dove which one that sticker to my mind was "THE DOVE IS GENTLE AND ANY LITTLE THREAT, IT FLIES AWAY" He went ahead saying "as Christians, we ought to have the Holy Spirit at all time and we should be mindful of the fact that the Holy Spirit is like a dove and when we commit any little sin, the Holy Spirit gets scared and flies away. So living a holy life at all time is the best thing we could do"

I was still a kid when I was hearing all this things. I remember each time my father was teaching us the bible in morning devotions in the house, he will always refer us to this scripture 1 Corinthians 13:11 King James Version (KJV)
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

so on my own I kept asking myself this question. "How many times do I need to be filled with the Holy Spirit? "
Roman 12:2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

I believe the Bible teaches it is the responsibility of every Christian to be filled with the Holy Spirit. It is not simply an event or accumulation of spirituality but constant and consistent renewal, a daily part of the Christian walk requiring submission and confession of sin. There is only one indwelling, many fillings.

How has your experience been with the holy spirit? I never stopped believing what the preacher was teaching us until I became an adult. I realised I had done things the wrong way all the while, I sat under the guide of a great teacher of the scripture and I saw the revelation in the operation of the Holy Spirit.

John 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever

This scripture above says it all. The Holy Spirit doesn't just run away from us because we commit sin, we have Him as a comforter who will help us get all things and to be with us forever as well.

Someone asked a question "can the Holy Spirit leave a believer"? This answers it all. I had to check on some commentaries with this few scriptures
Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me (Psalm 51:11).

The Bible gives the example of the Holy Spirit leaving Samson:

And she said, "The Philistines are upon you, Samson!" So he awoke, from his sleep, and said, "I will go out as before, at other times, and shake myself free!" But he did not know that the Lord had departed from him (Judges 16:20)

In another instance, the Holy Spirit is said to have left Saul:

But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and a distressing spirit from the Lord troubled him (1 Samuel 16:14)
These passages seem to teach that one can lose the Holy Spirit. But this is not necessarily the case. There are other possible solutions to this question. Some believe that the situations of David, Samson, and Saul must be understood in their Old Testament context. It appears that during that period, the Holy Spirit did not indwell believers on a permanent basis; but rather His presence in the life of the believer was of a limited duration.

Special Anointing

A second view holds that it was not the indwelling of the Holy Spirit that left these people, but a particular anointing or empowering of the Spirit that departed. David and Saul were kings and had a special anointing from God to rule the people. Samson also had a special anointing from God to lead Israel. What left Samson and Saul and what David prayed to retain was not the indwelling of the Holy Spirit but rather the Holy Spirit's anointing to rule. In the same way, the Holy Spirit always indwells a believer, but can anoint that New Testament believer for a specific and temporary purpose.

Whatever the case may be, the New Testament makes it plain that the Holy Spirit will not leave the believer.

Establishing that the holy spirit doesn't leave a believer doesn't add up to a believer misbehaving. Walk in the revelation of the holy spirit and understand his operations.

Do you hold another believe about the Holy Spirit?
Let us know so that we and others will increase in the knowledge of the holy spirit.

Peace!
Re: Misconceptions About The Holy Spirit. by ignis: 10:58am On Feb 16, 2020
The place of the Holy Spirit cannot be overemphasized in the life of a believer.
Re: Misconceptions About The Holy Spirit. by Nobody: 11:06am On Feb 16, 2020
Holy Spirit is the third person in the Trinity, He is the Spirit of GOD, given to whosever is willing and ready not by singing of memorizing a line of gibberish or speaking after some so called Pastors, there is nothing meaningful a CHRISTian I mean CHRISTian not church goers and bench warmers can do without the Spirit of God.
Re: Misconceptions About The Holy Spirit. by ultimate77(m): 11:13am On Feb 16, 2020
profolaolu:
Holy Spirit is the third person in the Trinity, He is the Spirit of GOD, given to whosever is willing and ready not by singing of memorizing a line of gibberish or speaking after some so called Pastors, there is nothing meaningful a CHRISTian I mean CHRISTian not church goers and bench warmers can do without the Spirit of God.

One cannot be a believer without the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is one in the trinity that was actually sent to us by the Father. So without the Holy Spirit, one isn't Christ Like.

(1) (Reply)

The Interpretation Of The Dream Of When You See Yourself Cutting Fire Wood / Who Is Jesus Christ To You? / Salvation Ministries Holds Live Services From The Home Cells (houses)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.