Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,879 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:57 AM

Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum (17041 Views)

INEC Replies Oshiomhole: We Obeyed Supreme Court On Bayelsa Like We Did On Imo / We Will Comply With Supreme Court Judgement On Bayelsa — INEC / INEC's Press Release On Bayelsa And Kogi Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by nairavsdollars(f): 7:30am On Feb 17, 2020
By Temidayo Akinsuyi

Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN), Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC) and a chieftain of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in this interview, speaks on the recent ruling of the Supreme Court on the Bayelsa governorship election. TEMIDAYO AKINSUYI brings the excerpts:

Sir, what is your take on the recent Supreme Court ruling on the Bayelsa governorship election which has led to the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Douye Diri being sworn in as the governor of the state even though he lost the election to APC’s David Lyon?

That is very wrong. What they should have done is to nullify the election and let the APC nominate another person. This whole of idea of the Supreme Court becoming electors of people who are defeated over those who are victorious is perverse and very wrong. That was what I complained about in the Zamfara case. It is unfortunate and to that extent, I totally disagree with it because it is unjust. The PDP man lost. You can give him a second chance because the APC candidate did not get valid nomination. They are not to award victory to a man who people did not vote for. You can’t replace the votes of the electorates with your votes as the judiciary. That I can never reconcile myself to and I hope it is not the noise and acrimony the PDP made on the Imo election that is causing all these to happen.

Some analysts have said the Supreme Court justices may set Nigeria on fire over some pronouncements they have made in recent times. Do you also share that view?

Well, I won’t say things like that because it is rather extreme. But it can do damage to the rule of law and belief in the courts as the ultimate resolver of major problems. As I have always said, it is my belief that when there is any issue in a case, the first question a judge should ask is ‘where does the justice of the case lies’? Especially at the Supreme Court level, you don’t need to start worrying about what you have decided upon being reversed. So, you can afford to do justice.
What I have found unfortunately and contrary to what used to be the case when people like late Justices Kayode Eso, Chukwudifu Oputa, Obaseki, Nnamani were in the Supreme Court in the 80s and 90s is that the present Supreme Court has not made justice its number one objectives. Let me take two recent examples to support my claim. Look at Zamfara for example. Election was held and the people of the state massively voted for APC. Now, the Supreme Court found out that the nomination process of APC was faulty; but instead of ordering a nullification of the whole process of election, they eliminated the votes of the vast majority of Zamfara people and turned itself into the electorates and in effect, installed a government of PDP, a party that has been heavily defeated in Zamfara state with Supreme Court votes.
That defeats the whole aim of democracy because power has been removed entirely from the electorates and the Supreme Court is exercising, not only electoral powers but in a manner contrary to the decision of the electorates.

Can that also be likened to what just happened in Bayelsa?

That is exactly what has happened in Bayelsa. In fact, the Bayelsa case is even worse. They said because the deputy governorship candidate has discrepancies in the names on his certificates. Fine! If that was the case, why don’t you remove him? Why punish the governor-elect for the sins of the deputy governor-elect?

Why declare the whole election null and void which you could have said but that the party that lost heavily, that scored just 143,172 votes against APC that scored 352,552 votes is now the winner. You now eliminate the votes of the electorates and then plant a government there based on your legal and technical reasoning. Five of you (Supreme Court justices) have now become the electorates of Bayelsa state. So, to that extent, they are damaging the reputation of the Supreme Court because any court that is unable to do justice will lose its reputation and the whole essence of its existence.

It has been reported that the Supreme Court has scheduled Tuesday February 18 for a review of the cases (Imo and Bayelsa). Do you think any of these judgments can be upturned?

Honestly, if you follow the principles I have stated, you will not have any sleepless nights over whatever you have decided because you have done justice. You can go and sleep once justice has been done and forget whatever anybody says. So, I don’t know what is going to happen now at the Supreme Court.

The Imo case is different from Bayelsa and Zamfara because they did not purport to eliminate majority votes and then become the electorates to put in the minority. What they said was that the full votes of Imo state were not counted; that votes coming from 388 polling units were canceled and that there was no legitimate reason for this. They then decided to release those votes and adding them, it gave majority votes to APC. That is the restoration of the electorates’ decision. For me, that is different from the case of Zamfara and Bayelsa where candidates that were not voted for by the electorates were declared the winner. So, whatever the Supreme Court decides to do on Tuesday, that is their business.

In the case of the Bayelsa election, don’t you think the leadership of APC also deserves blame for not doing its homework in vetting the credentials of its candidates before submitting to INEC?

First and foremost, I think the party leadership is at fault. They did not do any verification. If you cannot do it for National Assembly members, why don’t you do it for governors and their deputies which is just a small number of people? It shows they were lazy. It is either they were lazy or they just chose to close their eyes to all the deficiencies in his qualifications. They choose to be careless, thinking they will just bulldoze their way through. To me, the APC leadership failed to learn from the Zamfara and Rivers election.
Oshiomhole has to carry the blame as the leader of the party. He should have put in a structure that will do proper verification in all these cases. He failed to do it and so his thoroughness as a leader has been called to question. You can’t just be leader who makes political speeches and then make grand statements and we are all carried away.

As the national chairman of a ruling party, you must be able to sit down and do the nitty-gritty of what leadership entails. One of them is to do a proper check on the qualification of people who are applying under your party to be nominated for political offices. So, the number one game on the Bayelsa issue goes to APC leadership. I put the blame squarely on them but I am still saying that in spite of that, what the Supreme Court did was unjust. Their decision was against justice. It was carrying technical, legal reasoning to a disastrous extreme. That is my position on the matter.

https://www.independent.ng/apc-leadership-deserves-blame-on-bayelsa-governorship-conundrum-sagay/

9 Likes

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by hisexcellency34: 7:33am On Feb 17, 2020
Pure truth. Oshiomhole refused to do his homework by checking if certificates presented by APC candidates are genuine but now he is blaming INEC and Supreme Court. Hypocrites

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by jarawa: 7:35am On Feb 17, 2020
oshio baba

1 Like

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by solmus: 7:37am On Feb 17, 2020
cool

Oshiomole was looking for popularity to win the bayelsa people's heart there by boycotting due process just to favour David Lyon a semi illiterate and his deputy a complete illiterate

why cant INEC verify the credentials as the constituition mandates them to? and why would Justice PDP Mary Odili outrightly disqualify a Governor because of his deputy even when it has being established that the Party actually owns the mandate and not the candidates

Now in Nigeria the voters effort at polling unit don't matter anymore, everything is left to two gangs at the supreme court.. Justice Odili lead faction, and Mallam Tanko lead faction.. once Tanko heads a panel its unanimous victory to APC and once Odili , Rhodes oe kekere ekun heads the panel its unanimous victory for PDP

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by Racoon(m): 7:44am On Feb 17, 2020
The deputy governorship candidate of APC in Bayelsa has no certificate but because he was brought by Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, anything goes.
https://www.independent.ng/apc-lost-bayelsa-due-to-oshiomholes-recklessness-idahosa/

Why is Adams Oshiomole was blaming INEC and police after his party foisted a man with dubious character like the deputy governorship candidate on the state?

Why is this fool not calling for the arrest of the criminal or the Hope Uzodinma-led APC governorship screening committee for knowing of this criminality but defiantly choosing to field him?

6 Likes

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by Marine54(m): 7:49am On Feb 17, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Pure truth. Oshiomhole refused to do his homework by checking if certificates presented by APC candidates are genuine but now he is blaming INEC and Supreme Court. Hypocrites
There confidence was that APC is charge of everything, including the presidency, INEC and the supreme court. There was the cause for alarm . That is why he over react when judgment was passed by the supreme court, they didn't believe it could ever happen. It took them by surprise...

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by hisexcellency34: 8:20am On Feb 17, 2020
He even threatened that Diri will not be sworn in in Bayelsa
Marine54:
There confidence was that APC is charge of everything, including the presidency, INEC and the supreme court. There was the cause for alarm . That is why he over react when judgment was passed by the supreme court, they didn't believe it could ever happen. It took them by surprise...

15 Likes

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by PapaBaby: 8:29am On Feb 17, 2020
This whole of idea of the Supreme Court becoming electors of people who are defeated over those who are victorious is perverse and very wrong.

I didn't hear you say pim when Hope Uzodinma was made governor by the same court.

10 Likes

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by Goldencheese(m): 9:17am On Feb 17, 2020
APC wants to hang him now.
jarawa:
oshio baba

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by thundafire: 9:19am On Feb 17, 2020
Zamfara and Bayelsa the supreme Court awards victory to losers and taking electorates view out but Imo dey simply added the votes not counted and gave dey electorates der choice foolish Prof Itse

11 Likes

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by LastSurvivor11: 9:48am On Feb 17, 2020
Let’s blame the dwarf and the dullardihio then

4 Likes

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by DesignPoint: 9:48am On Feb 17, 2020
sad
Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by spafu(m): 9:48am On Feb 17, 2020
Ok
Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by MrImole: 9:49am On Feb 17, 2020
Including you, you know

4 Likes

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by Proffdada: 9:49am On Feb 17, 2020
Blame game is trending now sad
Instead of fix mix

3 Likes

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by Authoreety: 9:49am On Feb 17, 2020
Na so
Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by SPLITS(f): 9:49am On Feb 17, 2020
Let me book space here.
Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:51am On Feb 17, 2020
Daily Independent : Sir, what is your take on the recent Supreme Court ruling on the Bayelsa governorship election which has led to the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Douye Diri being sworn in as the governor of the state even though he lost the election to APC’s David Lyon? 

Sagay : That is very wrong. What they should have done is to nullify the election and let the APC nominate another person. This whole of idea of the Supreme Court becoming electors of people who are defeated over those who are victorious is perverse and very wrong. 

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by fergie001: 9:53am On Feb 17, 2020
Sagay, you can go and become SC judge nah...... grin

1 Like

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by money121(m): 9:55am On Feb 17, 2020
Set awo fake result tongue
Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by anonimi: 9:55am On Feb 17, 2020
hisexcellency34:

Since Oshiomole was governor for eight years without certificate and their CJN has used technicality to declare affidavits are the same as certificates, how do you expect the Alliance of Past/Present Crooks, APC to worry about forged certificates etc?
They are superstars with immunity from fake certificates.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2086803_103387287707102596807188497009572757904956n_jpegff71b7e1c6606ccca9e45b84778ea211

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2026486_buharinoschool_jpeg7b091b4b2030902d513c2f395f96a19d

3 Likes

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by AmazingELixir: 9:55am On Feb 17, 2020
grin grin grin ;

The literally big mouthed Prof.Sagey has spoken and yet again the noose damning Adam Osho fate tighten even further.

1 Like

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by Randy100: 9:56am On Feb 17, 2020
Sagay, sometimes can be reasonable.

2 Likes

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by slivertongue: 9:56am On Feb 17, 2020
nothing good will come out of APC

1 Like

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by Nobody: 9:57am On Feb 17, 2020
solmus:
cool

Oshiomole was looking for popularity to win the peoples heart there by boycotting due process just to favour David Lyon a semi illiterate and his deputy a complete illiterate

why cant INEC verify the credentials as the constituition mandates them to? and why would Justice PDP Mary Odili outrightly disqualify a Governor because of his deputy even when it has being established that the Party actually owns the mandate and not the candidates

so the party should go to election without a human to occupy the seat? you know there is a window for substitution of candidates and it has expired

3 Likes

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by helinues: 9:58am On Feb 17, 2020
I no talk am

We warned them about ConunPiano
Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by osusuallstars: 9:58am On Feb 17, 2020
return our ihedioha
or
i will invoke Amadioha to pursue HIPPOPOTAMUS HEAD LIKE HOPE .
4TH POSITION WITH LESS THAN 95,000 VOTES DISPLACING 3RD ,2ND AND 1ST TO BE GOVERNOR.

ONLY IN THIS CONTRAPTION

2 Likes

Re: Sagay: APC Leadership Deserves Blame On Bayelsa Governorship Conundrum by bhella10: 9:58am On Feb 17, 2020
This is why every state in Nigeria needs a Tinubu type of leadership otherwise...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Matthew Iduoriyekwemwen Submits His Form To INEC / 2019: Buhari, Atiku, Kwankwaso Divide North / 60 Senators, 249 Reps Bid National Assembly Farewell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.