Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:29 AM

External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low (15321 Views)

Rivers Govt, State PDP To 27 lawmakers: Move On, You Are no Longer Lawmakers / External Reserves Slides To Four Months Low At $39.98 Billion / Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit $44bn First Time In 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by Omooba77: 7:51am On Feb 17, 2020
Week-on-week decline spikes by 49%

AT the backdrop of a sustained slide in the country’s fortunes, the nation’s external reserves is set to drop below $37 billion, the lowest level in 27 months.

Last week the downward trend in the reserves which commenced, July 5, 2019, worsened, as the week-on-week (w/w) decline shot up by 49 percent. Data from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) showed that the external reserves dropped to $37.231billion on Thursday, February 13 from $37.725 billion a week earlier. This represents $494 million w/w decline and 49 percent deterioration when compared with the previous week’s $331 million decline.

Financial Vanguard analysis also showed that the $494 million w/w decline represents the highest in 14 weeks, since October 10, 2019, when the reverses suffered w/w decline of $446 million.

The continued decline in external reserves is majorly due to increased dollar sales by the CBN to defend the naira in the face of huge dollar demand by foreign portfolio investors exiting the nation’s fixed income market.

Financial Vanguard investigations revealed that the sharp decline in reserves last week might not be unconnected with the increased dollar injection by the apex bank into Investors and Exporters (I&E) window also last week to ensure the naira did not depreciation to N365 per dollar in the window.

On Tuesday the naira depreciated to N364.95 per dollar in the window, from N364.37 per dollar closing rate on Friday the previous week.

The intervention of the CBN, however, prompted a slight appreciation to N364.85 per dollar on Wednesday.

But the appreciation was almost completely reversed the next day, as the naira depreciated again by seven kobo to N364.92 per dollar on Thursday.

The trend was again reversed on Friday with the naira appreciating by 16 kobo to close the week at N364.76 per dollar in the I&E window.

However, compared to the previous closing rate of N364.37 per dollar, the naira depreciated by 39 kobo, representing the fourth consecutive weekly decline in the I&E window.

Analysts opined that the apex bank will continue to defend the naira, at least till the end of June this year, notwithstanding the sharp decline in external reserves.

“Despite the rate of decline in foreign exchange reserves, which has heightened fears regarding the possibility of a currency devaluation, our model suggests that the CBN has enough ammunition to sustain its naira defence through to, at least, first half of 2020, H1-20”, said analysts at Cordros Capital.

Analysts at Cowry Assets Management Limited also stated: “In the new week, we expect stability of the Naira against the USD across the market segments as CBN sustains its intervention; although at a cost to Nigeria’s external buffers.”

The sustained intervention would consequently, pressure the reserves down below USD37 billion by end of this week.

Higher inflation in January

Meanwhile analysts have projected a higher inflation rate for January, indicating five consecutive months increase in the headline inflation rate. While analysts at Financial Derivatives Company projected 11.05 percent inflation for January, analysts at Cordros Capital projected 12.12 percent inflation for the same month.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2020/02/external-reserves-slides-to-27-months-low/amp/

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by PapaBaby: 8:21am On Feb 17, 2020
Yet Buhari is borrowing with reckless abandon with nothing to show for it.

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by PapaBaby: 8:23am On Feb 17, 2020
Buhari please tell Serap what you did with recovered Abacha N5billion.

69 Likes 4 Shares

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by NigeriaIsDoomed: 8:23am On Feb 17, 2020
We warned them. Abeg make them devalue again so that when we bring obodo oyibo currency come back e go plenty for naira. cheesy

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by Racoon(m): 9:06am On Feb 17, 2020
After all their stupid lies that Nigeria foreign reserve have increased? Buhari is just borrowing to service debts, while the naira continue to depreciate against the dollar and the Nigeria's foreign reserves continued to decline.

Are the people in this senseless APC government really thinking about the forex risks associated with further increase in our foreign debts/loans?

The translation forex risk & associated crippling effects are unimaginable.It is simply the reason why our interest payments has increased yet they're not tired of borrowing. sad

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by NaijaRoyalty(m): 9:09am On Feb 17, 2020
Buhari don destroy this country finish with senseless debt and bad policies .

Buhari and his useless APC government will never know peace for destroying our economy .

56 Likes 6 Shares

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by Omooba77: 9:27am On Feb 17, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:
Buhari don destroy this country finish with senseless debt and bad policies .

Buhari and his useless APC government will never know peace for destroying our economy .

Nigeria will need to devalue, this is just the pure truth....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by Omooba77: 2:16pm On Feb 17, 2020
Lalasticlala ati nawo tan.........................We don spend money finish...............
Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by MrStan11(m): 2:27pm On Feb 17, 2020
Its just a matter of time before una go see the damages Buhari has caused.

When people shout that Buhari grew our foreign reserve I laugh in Swahili.

All things being equal we don't have anything in our reserve.
He just uses it as a collateral to borrow money.

If you have an investment policy with an insurance company worth #5000 and you go bank to borrow #4500 using you policy document as collateral.

Let me ask, How much do you worth?

Answer the question and understand where we re going.

49 Likes 9 Shares

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by Omooba77: 5:33pm On Feb 17, 2020
MrStan11:
Its just a matter of time before una go see the damages Buhari has caused.

When people shout that Buhari grew our foreign reserve I laugh in Swahili.

All things being equal we don't have anything in our reserve.
He just uses it as a collateral to borrow money.

If you have an investment policy with an insurance company worth #5000 and you go bank to borrow #4500 using you policy document as collateral.

Let me ask, How much do you worth?

Answer the question and understand where we re going.

Absolutely nothing

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by Kendumazy(m): 8:03pm On Feb 17, 2020
CBN doesn't just want to cause any panic. People should brace up. Analysts are heavily forecasting naira devaluation.

12 Likes

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by Nobody: 8:04pm On Feb 17, 2020
We are progressing.
Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by Kingpele(m): 8:04pm On Feb 17, 2020
sad sad
Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by EliteStriker(m): 8:05pm On Feb 17, 2020
the country is just on autopilot

verified adsense account and blog for sale.

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by solmus: 8:05pm On Feb 17, 2020
cool

Abba Kyarri the Dunce should give way for Osinbajo since Buhari is in hibernation

Abba Kyari is a special kind of Dunce that got sacked by Tony Elumelu after he almost used tarrifs to kill UBA customers, and sacked by Fani Kayode's Father's Chamber when he couldn't win a case as an Oxford trained Lawyer

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by iCauseTrouble: 8:06pm On Feb 17, 2020
There is no single good news about this Buhari Administration..... Haba shocked

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by tribalistseun: 8:06pm On Feb 17, 2020
This old man and the illiterate thieves around him will take Nigeria back just like their brother Abacha that never stole.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by Respect55(m): 8:07pm On Feb 17, 2020
We just need Grace in this country. Our situation seem irredeemable.

3 Likes

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by FLYFIRE(m): 8:07pm On Feb 17, 2020
PapaBaby:
Yet Buhari is borrowing with reckless abandon with nothing to show for it.
The original confirmed PresiDEBT

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by salbis(m): 8:08pm On Feb 17, 2020
Ride on baba Nigerians are behind you.
Ride on baba Nigerians are behind you �%. Lolz
Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by pakingzzzzz(m): 8:08pm On Feb 17, 2020
That's tragic!! sad

Anyway, if you need an awe-inspiring 3D paint work that looms up on you when you stare at it, check my profile for my conatct

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by Nobody: 8:09pm On Feb 17, 2020
The truth is that Nigeria economy is in a state of emergency now and this is due to Nigerians. I tend not to believe anymore that the government is our problem. No! We are our own problems per say.

For Example:

If we have not voted Buhari, things would have been better abi?
We are all liars. See an average Nigerian wants to blame his predicaments on the government. Whereas who is called government gaan

E je ka bara wa so oto oro (let's us tell ourselves the truth jare)

Now see this one trying to reap from Nigeria's problem.

NigeriaIsDoomed:
We warned them. Abeg make them devalue again so that when we bring obodo oyibo currency come back e go plenty for naira. cheesy

Yes we voted them to make a difference.... YenYenYen

Tell me one Past president, governor, even LG councillor that us not richer than prior his tenure (except they go bankrupt maybe through wanting to clinge to power). Tell me!
Even those we call founding fathers lived a luxury life when they had the mantle that most of their children today still live affordable houses compared to other Nigerians... Is it the salary they earn as public office holders or many kick backs
I stand corrected on that!

Is that Kyari man not a Nigerian?
Tinubu,Osinbajo, Buhari, Jonathan, Obasanjo... Just mention one saint who doesn't have family and well-wishers who really voted for him (if you know you know)

As a Nigerian judge yourself, if any of your family and friends become anything meaningful in Nigeria and maybe he/she allow you to head one coded office that can ordinarily without stealing make you rich for only four Years. Tell me what you'd do, yes you! Iwo ni mon bawi joor angry

Well our problem is not just one thing, even the media won't tell the truth.
See news of foreign exchange like WW3 news. Wetin happen?

Naira drop, gain, drop again....

Na today we know say Naira no get value?

See 'on a normal baze' een, Naija Economy just no sweet at all, but WHOEVER THINKS BUHARI IS THE CAUSE should summon me to a public debate ( see My eyes yaff clear, i am now a Nigerian devoid of any Political, religious or Tribal Affiliation). If you hate the truth HATE it.

Dem ban Rice people dey shout?
A whole Nigeria can't produce Good rice without stone... But if we no start with this, how are we going to ever export rice just to DIVERSIFY our economy?

No be one of the cause Naira devaluation be say we too dey import pass wetin dey commot, Abi? Economists in the house

See our problem is so interwoven that i even don't believe if Nigeria go separate ways, we would still get it right. I don't believe that.

Corruption is in our gene
It is the food we eat
The water we drink
Infact the air we inhale too! Hence why would majority of Nigerians abroad comport immediately they leave the country?

The country is FkdUP, BIG TIME!

Political history of Nigeria sef no sweet and the only generation that can make a difference are been devided through Religious and Tribal intolerance.

...but im still a Nigerian and a patriot, come what may!

Drabeey was Here

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by Nobody: 8:09pm On Feb 17, 2020
OK

Here is the reason why the reserve is falling, and by the way, if you think I am defending Buhari, you have missed the point of my discussion. Like most Nigerian things about the economy, Buhari is a symptom not the cause.

1.Oil prices are chronically low. And infact, they are set to keep falling with the corona virus thing happening.

2.For Nigeria to survive, we need oil to be at a certain price called the breakeven price...in brief, the price where we have paid all the production costs, and have enough left over. As at 2012, it was $120. Today it is at $139 per barrel. Oil since 2015 has not risen above $75, and is now around $60

3.Because of the low oil price, since 2015, when our Bubu took over, oil has been staying low. Infact, we have been losing anywhere between $60-90 per barrel of oil sold because the oil price has not been high enough.

4.Initally, our reserves in 2015 were at $32bn, then they went down to $28 billion. Then Bubu managed to raise it to above $40 billion.

5.The problem is, oil prices have been remaining very low. In an ideal situation, you wait till oil prices go up, with the hope that the economy stabilizes. Now, it hasn't gone up....so we have to start dependeing on the reserves.

6. Why are we taking loans...because the oil price has been below the breakeven price...which means that we must take loans...or by now we would collapse.

7. The only way out is simple

. We cut fuel subsides...money saved....reserves grow

. We cut power subsides...money saved...reserves grow.

. Hopefully investment flows in, meaning we have enough resources to fuel our economic growth...which means we would eventually, after a period of hardship, become a industrial nation, and earn FAR more than we ever earned from oil. Then things like restructuring, and even Biafra would look more feasible.

8.The truth is that Buhari, like most Nigerian leaders, cannot take that decsion because

-it means higher fuel prices, and higher power prices
-it means potential economic crisis and inflation

so, we keep on wasting money on welfare projkects, while we keep borrowing to keep our heads afloat.

Mind, most African countries are like this, which is why many of them are so broke. We rely on raw materials and share the income they bring...meanwhile, we don't control their prices. That's how it has been since 1960...and why restructuring now, and even going back to agruculture won't save us.

That is why our reserves keep on going down.

MODIFIED

For those who read this and think I am defending Buahri....sorry, I am not. The problem in breif is that our economy is tied to the price of oil. And we do not control that price. That is a big part of the reason why we are in the mess today.

Nigerian leaders, Bubu inclusive, have known the path we should take out of this. GEJ...tried to get us off oil dependency via removing fuel subsides in 2012...with the hope that we would eventually use foreign investment to get us off oil..and ginger our economy. But many of us were to blind to see(fortunately, I was not).

MODIFIED 2

Many responses to this assume that I am defending the Buhari administration.

Well, to be honest I am not.

I can see why people think that way....the explanation I have given above can be seen by some as amounting to 'The government is not doing well because there isn't enough money...the problem is beyond our control'.

To me, the problem is simple. We will continue to have economic problems when our economy is linked to oil prices...so, either the government gets us off oil, or leaves our economy vulnerable'

And if you cannot come to my conclusion, sorry.

Once again, I am not pro or anti Buhari. The sad thing about politics for me is that leadership at all levels is not visionary enough for me, and the same mistakes keep being made. If you want to peg me as a probuharist...sorry. I didn't vote for him at any time since 2003.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by NigeriaIsDoomed: 8:11pm On Feb 17, 2020
iCauseTrouble:
There is no single good news about this Buhari Administration..... Haba shocked
The lifeless thing came back to destroy Nigeria and some idiotic Nigerians foolishly helped him achieve his plan.

5 Likes

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by QuickStandard: 8:12pm On Feb 17, 2020
cool
What exactly can we say is working in this country?

From security
Power
Infrastructure
Education
Hunger
Crime
Cluelessness
Corruption

And many too numerous to mention....

It is well

11 Likes

Re: External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low by NigeriaIsDoomed: 8:19pm On Feb 17, 2020
tribalistseun:
This old man and the illiterate thieves around him will take Nigeria back just like their brother Abacha that never stole.
Please never you ever in your life compare the lifeless thing with Abacha. As terrible as Abacha was Nigeria fared well unlike what we have now.
Go and read about the economy of Nigeria under Abacha.
Buhari, has always been a dull and lifeless creature right from birth.
How he was able to scam foolish Nigerians to come back to power remains a mystery till date.

Abacha's achievements:On the economic end, Nigeria attained unprecedented economic achievements with him, with an overwhelming increase in the country's foreign exchange reserves from $494 million in 1993 to $9.6 billion by the middle of 1997, and a reduction of the external debt of Nigeria from $36 billion in 1993 to $27 billion by 1997. He halted all the controversial privatization programmes initiated by Babangida his predecessor and reduced the inflation rate from the 54 percent he inherited to 8.5 percent by 1998, while oil was sold at an average of $15 per barrel.
He increased fuel price just once in his four-and-a-half years in office and set up the Petroleum (Special) Trust Fund, which was widely acknowledged to have performed well in infrastructural development and intervention programmes in education, health and water.

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Zamfara State Governor Formally Defect To APC / Tinubu To Nigerians: The Hope That Is Almost Dithering Is Back / Latest Oil Price: $44 per Barrel - Crisis Looming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.