Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,981 members, 7,806,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It (26267 Views)

Do You Have Brown Teeth Or Tooth Stains? Try This... / Should I Use Bottled Water To Brush My Teeth, Or To Wash My Contact Lenses? / Brush Your Teeth Or Take A Bath...what Will It Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by makydebbie(f): 4:04pm On Feb 17, 2020
My diastema is beautiful sha, disability or whatever.
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Aladdin1(m): 4:25pm On Feb 17, 2020
na rabbit i be know say dey get diastema o!!
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by hakeemhakeem(m): 4:41pm On Feb 17, 2020
Rabbit teeth
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Kingrexyl(m): 4:50pm On Feb 17, 2020
makydebbie:

It's too big. grin
Says the gay-naian girl. grin
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Papadoh(m): 5:36pm On Feb 17, 2020
Diastema huh? Sounds like a name one would give to an infectious disease. If anyone calls my gap teeth Diastema, i'm punching their ass... in the balls.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Adekunlehappy: 5:36pm On Feb 17, 2020
Ok. noted.
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Auxigen(m): 6:08pm On Feb 17, 2020
Cuntface:
it's a disability tho.

well we can call it beautiful disability
And having a cuntface is not a disability? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Gofwane(m): 6:13pm On Feb 17, 2020
Javalist:
Diastema is called Wushirya /wu•shir•ya/ in Hausa
Or gibi.
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by gregyboy(m): 6:29pm On Feb 17, 2020
Smartgeek:
has

English rules too much how many we go learn na.....
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by OmarEl(m): 6:44pm On Feb 17, 2020
udoekere:
Stop Calling It 'Gap Teeth' or 'Open Teeth, See the Real Name for It
I have lots of people who still do this mistake and they actually think its the right english to use when they want to refer to a person with such teeth.
Therefore, when next you see someone with such set of teeth, don't say 'you have open/gap teeth' instead say 'you have DIASTEMA'. Thats the right word for it
The Yorubas commonly call this open teeth EJI, the Igbos call it EZE-NGBAWARA, hope I'm correct sha, sorry I don't know the name Hausas call it... Lolzzzz... In French, it is called "dents du bonheur" which simply means "lucky teeth". This expression originated in Napoleon's time, when the Napoleon army recruited, it was imperative that soldiers had incisors in perfect condition because they had to open their powder mag with the teeth in order to recharge their rifles that they had to hold with their two hands. All those who had teeth apart were then classified as unfit to fight. Some men broke their own teeth to avoid going to war.
In many parts of Africa, including my birth country Nigeria, diastemata are regarded as being attractive and a sign of fertility, and some people have even had them created through cosmetic dentistry.
A woman with a natural gap in the middle of her teeth is considered a beautiful being. When a woman have such, men love to see her smile. It usually look more attractive and beautiful with women than with men.
So, if you have eji (Gap teeth) consider yourself lucky because many are craving for that and many are living in admiration when they see you smile.
So you ladies with diastema, keep smiling while men keep tripping!....
And of course dimple is another natural beauty endowment but it's a topic for another day... Keep it locked down on my profile !...
PLEASE SHARE TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS
SHARING IS CARING
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Austeeenxx: 7:20pm On Feb 17, 2020
That mad governor of Kogi State has it.
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Stillthebest: 7:32pm On Feb 17, 2020
Pchikaodili:
the girl on that pix have ugly gap teeth

Lol but the HAVE(Bolded) in your sentence is uglier that the diastema of the lady!

1 Like

Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Nobody: 9:17pm On Feb 17, 2020
i have gap tooth which i took from my mom cheesy but it looks better on a girl than a man cheesy.so if u a lady with a gap tooth pls try and smile more often cheesy
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Nobody: 9:38pm On Feb 17, 2020
makydebbie:
My diastema is beautiful sha, disability or whatever.
. but you ain't got any.
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by makydebbie(f): 9:45pm On Feb 17, 2020
biGDhAp:
. but you ain't got any.

I have diastema na or you know me more than me now?
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Nobody: 9:52pm On Feb 17, 2020
makydebbie:

I have diastema na or you know me more than me now?
.. your pics says otherwise..
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Joystark(f): 9:54pm On Feb 17, 2020
But O.P can I call it Ezenfo?
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by makydebbie(f): 10:50pm On Feb 17, 2020
biGDhAp:
.. your pics says otherwise..

My mouth is closed, lol I don't want to say something mean.
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by ITbomb(m): 11:26pm On Feb 17, 2020
My problem with them is that they find it difficult to close their mouth
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Sensini123(m): 12:30am On Feb 18, 2020
Foodqueen:
Diastema. It's ok.

I av a younger brother that has a diastema, each time my daughter want to refer to him, she will say " that my uncle that has loss a tooth" grin grin
Lol
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by khiaa(f): 12:39am On Feb 18, 2020
Op, why do you assume the English version is the correct version?

This is how it works, the Egyptians, Japanese, Chinese, Africans, or the French may have a different name for it in their language, or are you saying the English created/invented the gap between people teeth. grin

2 Likes

Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by chuksydom(m): 3:41am On Feb 18, 2020
XhosaNostra:
How's that one in the picture anywhere near attractive though? When it's a bit narrower, maybe, but not this one looking like Goofy.
pls can you show us the sexy looking one u have bae!!
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Crystasluvee(m): 5:52am On Feb 18, 2020
Diastematataaaa be this....lolzzz

Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Nobody: 6:18am On Feb 18, 2020
makydebbie:

My mouth is closed, lol I don't want to say something mean.
.. you better don't. I don't care how much of a hottie you look. you'll get it back in two folds..

I was only pulling your legs. I did see your mouth closed.. lol.. show off your disability(kidding) more.. it'll probably will look good on you
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Skmoda360(m): 7:15am On Feb 18, 2020
iLegendd:
Your enlightenment is good.

Sadly, inferiority is the reason we think the words we create are wrong.

English is owned by England, not the US.

The US mispronounced lots of things in English, but since they don't have inferiority complex, they said, "F*ck English, we are going to approve our wrong pronunciations as correct and make them our unique English."

Today, US has their own English and a way of pronunciation. They no longer depend on England to tell them new words to add to the dictionary.

England will say a car bonnet, but the US will say, f*ck bonnet, we'll call it hood even though hood means other things.

Nigeria, an inferior nation with arrogant criminals/people will never come up with anything to add to their dictionary. The little they come up with, the intelligent ones will say it's wrong unless it's called whatever people in England call it.

We're purely slaves to England, but the US isn't a slave to anyone.

William Shakespeare used to invent words that don't exist and use it in his book, but today, those words have been added to the dictionary.

I write books, and trust me, if you read some of my books, you'll notice some words I invented and trust me, 100 to 500 years from now, they will be in dictionaries and I will be ascribed the originator.

So, the summary is: we shouldn't always be wrong in everything. At least, we should try and approve our own things instead of reverting back to England every time even though they own the language. Why didn't the US revert 100% to England? It's because the US is not an inferior nation with arrogant people who only talk, but don't do, invent, or take action.

Gbam!!! You nailed it.

1 Like

Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by makydebbie(f): 7:23am On Feb 18, 2020
biGDhAp:
.. you better don't. I don't care how much of a hottie you look. you'll get it back in two folds..

I was only pulling your legs. I did see your mouth closed.. lol.. show off your disability(kidding) more.. it'll probably will look good on you

Lol, sure I do.
Thank you.
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by XhosaNostra(f): 8:09am On Feb 18, 2020
chuksydom:
pls can you show us the sexy looking one u have bae!!

Mine is similar to the one below in size & shape. I've always been self-conscious about it. But now I'm grateful it isn't so wide. Some can look like an afro comb lol.

Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Greatzeus(m): 9:58am On Feb 18, 2020
kingxsamz:
Who get time to dey pronounce that one?
Abi o lol grin
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by chuksydom(m): 9:24pm On Feb 29, 2020
XhosaNostra:

Mine is similar to the one below in size & shape. I've always been self-conscious about it. But now I'm grateful it isn't so wide. Some can look like an afro comb lol.
it looks cool but I feel mine is waooo

1 Like

Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by tobby20: 10:49pm On Feb 29, 2020
udoekere:
Stop Calling It 'Gap Teeth' or 'Open Teeth, See the Real Name for It
I have lots of people who still do this mistake and they actually think its the right english to use when they want to refer to a person with such teeth.
Therefore, when next you see someone with such set of teeth, don't say 'you have open/gap teeth' instead say 'you have DIASTEMA'. Thats the right word for it
The Yorubas commonly call this open teeth EJI, the Igbos call it EZE-NGBAWARA, hope I'm correct sha, sorry I don't know the name Hausas call it... Lolzzzz... In French, it is called "dents du bonheur" which simply means "lucky teeth". This expression originated in Napoleon's time, when the Napoleon army recruited, it was imperative that soldiers had incisors in perfect condition because they had to open their powder mag with the teeth in order to recharge their rifles that they had to hold with their two hands. All those who had teeth apart were then classified as unfit to fight. Some men broke their own teeth to avoid going to war.
In many parts of Africa, including my birth country Nigeria, diastemata are regarded as being attractive and a sign of fertility, and some people have even had them created through cosmetic dentistry.
A woman with a natural gap in the middle of her teeth is considered a beautiful being. When a woman have such, men love to see her smile. It usually look more attractive and beautiful with women than with men.
So, if you have eji (Gap teeth) consider yourself lucky because many are craving for that and many are living in admiration when they see you smile.
So you ladies with diastema, keep smiling while men keep tripping!....
And of course dimple is another natural beauty endowment but it's a topic for another day... Keep it locked down on my profile !...
PLEASE SHARE TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS
SHARING IS CARING
Don't call it fufu
its called steamrolled cassava butter
Na only your papa sabi book
Subzero IQ
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Konquest: 1:07pm On Apr 22, 2021
XhosaNostra:
How's that one in the picture anywhere near attractive though? When it's a bit narrower, maybe, but not this one looking like Goofy.
Exactly my thoughts. grin @Goofy.
Re: Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It by Nobody: 1:26pm On Apr 22, 2021
that gap teeth no make sense, my (cough cough) can fit tru it

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

High Cost Of Female Condom Affects Its Availability, Distribution – UNAIDS / 10 Health Benefits Of Onions, Garlic And Ginger / ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.