Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,991 members, 7,806,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure (5940 Views)

The Nigerian Army Salary Structure: How Much Is A Nigerian Soldier Paid? / The Authority Structure Of The Nigerian Police Force / How Much Is Level 8/2 Based On New Salary Structure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by zoju: 8:05pm On Dec 16, 2010
arik air commenced operations in 2006 with laid down structure that soon became a mirage after a year. As a staff who was once a stakeholder in the organization my heart  bleeds for nigerians who are employees of arik. the contract states that salary will be paid on the 28th of every month but it is now a norm that salaries are paid on the 16th, or 23rd of the following month. it hurts to say that every month 7.5% of staff pension is debited from staff salary without remittance to the appropriate pension managers, i dont care if the organization refuses to remit their contractual 7.5% that sums up 15% pension fund but i do know that it is a financial crime  which must be put to a stop. A i write am yet to receive October arrears and  November salary. The funny part of it all is that the Expatriates receive their salaries as at when due because the labor laws in some of these countries are very functional and one little mistake can drag arik into the mud before the international front. In an organization where safety is paramount, human resources plays the most important role before the automated machines so i suggest that the management begin to take in to account the cry of
demotivated  staff who are daily treated with no respect before its too late.
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by DisGuy: 1:50am On Dec 17, 2010
it's all coming through, no wonder their service is also getting worse

Bad management > Bad Staff > Terrible customer service
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by DisGuy: 1:51am On Dec 17, 2010
it hurts to say that every month 7.5% of staff pension is debited from staff salary without remittance to the appropriate pension managers, i dont care if the organization refuses to remit their contractual 7.5% that sums up 15% pension fund but i do know that it is a financial crime which must be put to a stop

have you reported them?
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by marjo: 10:29am On Dec 17, 2010
Dis Guy:

have you reported them?
The fact is that most local companies are in default of this and other statutory labour laws e.g paid vacations, group life insurance. instead of the regulatory bodies doing their work, they are in siddon look mode. the only ones that try to obey labour laws are the multinationals. Even some nigerians dont want their employers to make deductions - cos they have no faith in the nigerian pension system. The bottom line is that if the poster feels so strongly, he could act as an anonymous whistle blower. the next thing Arik will do is say that they cant cope with the cost of so many staff that they will downsize and then staff will start to beg and the cycle will go round again. Most local companies are guilty of this - owing staff into the 2nd week of the following month. I feel you . This is how corruption is tacitly condoned. Don't employers like this wonder from where their staff get money to come to work. i tire for nigerian employers oh. Anyway guy chin up and i know you are looking out seriously for another job.
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by NumberOne2(m): 1:38pm On Dec 17, 2010
I it difficult to say if this story is true or not. I've learnt in life that every story has 2 or more versions. But if its true then its pathetic. However I don't believe that this is perculiar to Arik air. The entire airline industry is in crisis globally and Nigeria is not an exception. Recently British Airway staff went on strike.

Nigerian airline operators have been clamouring for bailouts. Perhaps this is why. I think most airline staff/unions will prefer delayed salaries to downsizing (which is unfortunate). Any attempt to downsize may lead to strikes.

But like I said earlier, there are two or more versions to every story.
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by otokx(m): 2:07pm On Dec 18, 2010
Some if not most Nigerian private organizations lack any form of structure and when you add that to the below average attitude of some if not most Nigerians to work then you can't be sure of the outcome. Thank God for competition which keeps the consumer with some form of options.
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by Imeobong(m): 3:03pm On Dec 18, 2010
Can some-one please tell me who owns Arik Air? Is it true its Baba thats the owner?
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by snowdrops(m): 3:23pm On Dec 18, 2010
Arik probably bit more than it could chew. The expansion to europe and america came too early and thats why the poor staff are paying the price for managements wrong decisions.
Hope they dont go the way of what was it called again  . . . . . . . .

"birdflu" [bellview]
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by sandee575(f): 4:20pm On Dec 18, 2010
The only good thing there? The new airplanes.
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by spearman(m): 4:30pm On Dec 18, 2010
Statutory labour laws are sometimes inimical to the growth of business and the economy. It leads often to high unemployment as businesses are reluctant to hire. Banks now hire contract employees to circumvent the laws. Some of these laws are impractical for a developing society. That is why they are not being enforced. Arik however has no excuse.
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by slyboggie(m): 4:39pm On Dec 18, 2010
@poster
expatraits too suffer desame non payment, dat at least i know, y wont dey crumble wen dey fly almost empty jets to US and EUrope.its so unfortunate dere staffs have to suffer for dere lack of proper management
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by sirp2007: 5:08pm On Dec 18, 2010
marjo:

The fact is that most local companies are in default of this and other statutory labour laws e.g paid vacations, group life insurance. instead of the regulatory bodies doing their work, they are in siddon look mode. the only ones that try to obey labour laws are the multinationals. Even some nigerians dont want their employers to make deductions - cos they have no faith in the nigerian pension system. The bottom line is that if the poster feels so strongly, he could act as an anonymous whistle blower. the next thing Arik will do is say that they cant cope with the cost of so many staff that they will downsize and then staff will start to beg and the cycle will go round again. Most local companies are guilty of this - owing staff into the 2nd week of the following month. I feel you . This is how corruption is tacitly condoned. Don't employers like this wonder from where their staff get money to come to work. i tire for nigerian employers oh. Anyway guy chin up and i know you are looking out seriously for another job.

true talk,

[/
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by sirp2007: 5:09pm On Dec 18, 2010
spearman:

Statutory labour laws are sometimes inimical to the growth of business and the economy. It leads often to high unemployment as businesses are reluctant to hire. Banks now hire contract employees to circumvent the laws. Some of these laws are impractical for a developing society. That is why they are not being enforced. Arik however has no excuse.

spot on, well said
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by SeunAero(m): 6:31pm On Dec 18, 2010
The airline industry is in sham, especially when u are working for a indigenous airline.
The story written by the poster is nothing , but the whole truth. Thats why u c most of their staffs begging for tips from passengers. How do u expect them to survive when monthly salaries are paid in 2months intervals?
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by DoubleN(m): 6:37pm On Dec 18, 2010
And see me thinking that it was only in 'One Man Businesses' that this kind of crap happens. Only in Naija! Make dem sha no owe any captain cos it can be fatal.
Talking seriously now. Arik air had no business embarking on international routes in their business plan,they should have just kept playing the local scene. Now what they do is use the money made from local operations to fund their international routes! No be craze be that? Most flights depart for international routes under-booked which leads to serious loss. Not to talk of their international flights being more expensive than their multinational counterparts. I mean na you go wan use Arik Air go London?
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by Reference(m): 7:56pm On Dec 18, 2010
And the irony of the post is that the complaint against Arik is non-remittance of pension deductions when really its very rare to see anyone retired from the Nigerian airline business cos most fold up as quickly as they take-off. Though I hope to see the exception, the rule here is that the airline business cannot succeed in Nigeria no matter who runs it, owns it or finances it. If you urgently seek bankruptcy invest in aviation.
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 18, 2010
Arik owes me 36k. I paid for a flight online and they showed me payment declined yet they removed the money from my account, three months after i apllied for a refund am still waiting
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by DisGuy: 9:44pm On Dec 18, 2010
^^^ chei see these mago mago company o

the only thing they celebrate is plane purchase very soon many banks will be suing them
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by soochukwu(m): 12:19am On Dec 19, 2010
It is true that Arik air owe salaries till the 16th or 23thd of the next month,but for those who want to get the other side of the story,this post came a little late,the november salary was paid on or shortly before 11th of november.i read through people`s opinion concerning Arik air in general and i do agree with you a great deal,Arik air is basically mis-managed though they have the capacity to be the best air line in Nigeria,first dedicated staff,aircrafts are new,i know 70% of Arik fleets are brand new no doubt about that,Arik can be good if the management can pay their staff on the original agreement which is 28th of every month,as for the staff i say thumb`s up because they give their best,they take Arik as their own except for the management that is mischievous.
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by member67023: 5:41am On Dec 19, 2010
soochukwu:

It is true that Arik air owe salaries till the 16th or 23thd of the next month,but for those who want to get the other side of the story,this post came a little late,the november salary was paid on or shortly before 11th of november.i read through people`s opinion concerning Arik air in general and i do agree with you a great deal,Arik air is basically mis-managed though they have the capacity to be the best air line in Nigeria,first dedicated staff,aircrafts are new,i know 70% of Arik fleets are brand new no doubt about that,Arik can be good if the management can pay their staff on the original agreement which is 28th of every month,as for the staff i say thumb`s up because they give their best,they take Arik as their own except for the management that is mischievous.
Tell yourself the truth.
Most arik customers have seriously complained bitterly about the pathetic customer service dished out by the airline's employees (both local and International routes).
Is Arik management doing anything to address this?
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by zoju: 12:01pm On Dec 19, 2010
@soochukwu if you say that this post came a bit too late and November salary came on or before 11th, i wish to state  that 30% of arik staff are yet  to receive their November salary.It is not a hidden fact, even the bank tellers who pay the salaries in various banks feel sorry for Arik employees.  An organization where expert advise is relegated to the background  only the CEO's decision is final surely is heading for failure. An organization ceases to exist when the component structure functionality is dormant.
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by IBEXY(m): 12:16pm On Dec 19, 2010
I hope they stay afloat till I complete my xmas travels. All these is scary!
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by wazobiang: 12:40pm On Dec 19, 2010
arik is frighteningly frightening
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by soochukwu(m): 2:37pm On Dec 19, 2010
@zoju a correction please,i mean november salary been paid on or b/4 11th of december .there are also possibilities that there are staff that are been owed salaries for the month of november.it`s pathetic.who knows when the december salary is going to be paid.As for 13th month or bonus it never happen in Arik company before. it`s a Mirage.
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by member67023: 2:44pm On Dec 19, 2010
Check out this,
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-512827.0.html

and this,

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-563962.0.html

ARIK AIR is an investment that was established and funded with stolen wealth.
The law of Karma will soon catch up with them.
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by COMPAQ(m): 2:50pm On Dec 19, 2010
Zoju, blow the whistle. be your own wikileaks. Nigerians must begin to take responsibility for some of the injustice going on around them. Nigerians cry about corruption, but many of us carry about the files and documents that makes corruption possible. How many of us have made copies of these fraudulent remittances, contracts etc and sent them anonymously to the EFCC.
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by otokx(m): 3:00pm On Dec 19, 2010
if you like blow whistle abi beat drum; this is Nigeria and nothing will happen.
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by Nobody: 4:39pm On Dec 19, 2010
Arik air is the worst airline in the business, as per staff welfare i.e., i haven't flown arik yet but i am not sure from all the complaints i hear from people that i will anytime soon. I have a close acquaintance who works 4 them and its been sadness ever since, pls desperate job seekers, beware oooo. arik will owe u until midway of the next month b4 paying u
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by Reference(m): 8:43pm On Dec 19, 2010
Sorry COMPAQ your request is simply impossible, whistle blower, for where. That is why change is so, so slow in Nigeria and revolution nigh impossible. I asked this question months ago, no reply - bad topic. We get inundated with cries of injustice and we are perpetrators, unwilling collaborators. The case of the airline you describe is just like banks. No single banker out of a job today saw or heard evidence of wrong doing, massive wrong doing until Sanusi. No one in Oceanic or Intercontinental saw or heard the CEO's transferring massive amounts illegally. Madam and Pastor did it all alone from their bedrooms eh.

It is either these bankers have questionable insight into their profession or were willing accomplices to these crimes. I could remember complaints about some of those banks by fellow forumites on various issues of maladministration months before the crisis but they were repeatedly shouted down and asked to 'produce evidence' like EFCC does when it has a vested interest in not acting. Well the evidence has finally come and na poor man dey suffer.

It is the same reason why the NLC will continue to strike for all the wrong reasons - money instead of accountability so that when the money comes mismanagement steals it back. We need to change that attitude and develop the courage to react. When the man down the street emerges out of nowhere in millions he is probably doing so at someone's expenses. We need candid camera in this country to develop the fear of wrong action. See what the British tabloid did to Amos Adamu. Can it ever happen here. If we inundate AIT with cellphone video of cops at checkpoints, or customs officers turning a blind eye or government workers trading in their offices or PHCN staff tampering with transformers you can imagine the awareness that will generate, the lives it would change and perhaps the jobs it would save.
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by miqos02(m): 8:55pm On Dec 19, 2010
Reference:

Sorry COMPAQ your request is simply impossible, whistle blower, for where. That is why change is so, so slow in Nigeria and revolution nigh impossible. I asked this question months ago, no reply - bad topic. We get inundated with cries of injustice and we are perpetrators, unwilling collaborators. The case of the airline you describe is just like banks. No single banker out of a job today saw or heard evidence of wrong doing, massive wrong doing until Sanusi. No one in Oceanic or Intercontinental saw or heard the CEO's transferring massive amounts illegally. Madam and Pastor did it all alone from their bedrooms eh.

It is either these bankers have questionable insight into their profession or were willing accomplices to these crimes. I could remember complaints about some of those banks by fellow forumites on various issues of maladministration months before the crisis but they were repeatedly shouted down and asked to 'produce evidence' like EFCC does when it has a vested interest in not acting. Well the evidence has finally come and na poor man dey suffer.

It is the same reason why the NLC will continue to strike for all the wrong reasons - money instead of accountability so that when the money comes mismanagement steals it back. We need to change that attitude and develop the courage to react. When the man down the street emerges out of nowhere in millions he is probably doing so at someone's expenses. We need candid camera in this country to develop the fear of wrong action. See what the British tabloid did to Amos Adamu. Can it ever happen here. If we inundate AIT with cellphone video of cops at checkpoints, or customs officers turning a blind eye or government workers trading in their offices or PHCN staff tampering with transformers you can imagine the awareness that will generate, the lives it would change and perhaps the jobs it would save.

nice piece
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by DisGuy: 9:00pm On Dec 19, 2010
Reference:

It is the same reason why the NLC will continue to strike for all the wrong reasons - money instead of accountability so that when the money comes mismanagement steals it back. We need to change that attitude and develop the courage to react. When the man down the street emerges out of nowhere in millions he is probably doing so at someone's expenses. We need candid camera in this country to develop the fear of wrong action. See what the British tabloid did to Amos Adamu. Can it ever happen here. [b]If we inundate AIT with cellphone video of cops at checkpoints, or customs officers turning a blind eye or government workers trading in their offices or PHCN staff tampering with transformers you can imagine the awareness that will generate, the lives it would change and [/b]perhaps the jobs it would save.

lol Ait itslef owns staff salary several months at a time, in fact most of these organisation that should act as whistle-blower in Nigeria have 'K' leg themselves perhaps except 234Next or maybe Sahara Reporters but then again there's Youtube
Re: Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure by kayodeO1: 11:35pm On Dec 19, 2010
Haters in the House, sponsored bill into nairaland, Jobless people, Arik Airline with God`s Backing,

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Tips To Be Successful As A Youth In His/her Career / A Thread For Professional & Intending Truck Drivers / ICAN/ATS Induction Ceremony On Monday...advice Needed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.