Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,424 members, 7,808,519 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:59 PM

Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? (9473 Views)

Poll: Is Nigeria A Failed State?

Yes: 60% (71 votes)
No: 39% (47 votes)
This poll has ended

Osun State Is Now A Failed State. Received Only 55 Million In FG Allocation / Anambra Governship Debate Is Holding Today At Awka House / Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by poweredcom(m): 8:45pm On Dec 18, 2010
@honeric01
Nigeria will remain a failed state to those who see nothing good, and you will all KEEP failing in Nigeria if you believe Nigeria is FAILED state.

Since a failed state means a non-performing state, you all saying Nigeria is one will also fail and be un-performing if you are in Nigeria.

If you are not in Nigeria and you claim Nigeria is a failed state, then i have nothing to tell you because you surely do not know anything about the peculiarity of Nigeria.

Well where do you stand now Failed or not, I believe you are based in Nigeria Ok, bro, to me its a failed state Ok, big time, no drag am, na because u dey eat 3 square meal, abi, enter road for nigth make u see wetin able body girls dey do for night, hooking up so rampant.now, the most innocent girl now hooks, kai, so bad, all na because of poverty, people can eat or live comfortably in a country that is endowed with oil riches if managed properly like that of dubai U.A.E, and we are the ones that like shopping around in dubai, don we think that let them arabs also come and shop here some day, Nigeria if care is not taken, ummmm
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by honeric01(m): 9:02pm On Dec 18, 2010
poweredcom:

@honeric01
Well where do you stand now Failed or not, I believe you are based in Nigeria Ok, bro, to me its a failed state Ok, big time, no drag am, na because u dey eat 3 square meal, abi, enter road for nigth make u see wetin able body girls dey do for night, hooking up so rampant.now, the most innocent girl now hooks, kai, so bad, all na because of poverty, people can eat or live comfortably in a country that is endowed with oil riches if managed properly like that of dubai U.A.E, and we are the ones that like shopping around in dubai, don we think that let them arabs  also come and shop here some day, Nigeria if care is not taken, ummmm

And are these points peculiar to just Nigeria? do you know what FAIL means? if you can type using a computer (personal) from the comfort of your own with your own personal network provider, then you are not in a failed state, a failed state is where people cannot even eat 1 square meal per day.

Do you know that the number prostitutes in Germany/ UK/ US and Russia alone beat all the prostitutes Nigeria has ever produced home and away hands down? does that make these countries a failed state? Do you know how many people struggle to eat in some parts of Europe? countries like Portugal, Romania, Chile and co have alot of people very poor, Mexico is among them too, also CHINA, INDIA and BRAZIL have alot of people who struggle to eat daily, does these make these countries a failed state?

The points you listed are not convincing enough because every country have a share of these things and yet those who claim to rate failed countries didn't rate them.

Like i said a place that you believe you can never make it in will remain an obstacle to you even if opportunities are staring at you because you have consciously accepted failure in all your endeavors.  I didn't say that, your action is what i just interpreted.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Abayomin70(m): 11:26pm On Dec 18, 2010
no electricity is definetly a FAIL STATE dont
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by poweredcom(m): 2:15am On Dec 19, 2010
@honeric01

Type on a computer at the comfort of which home, when there is no light to power my laptop till full eficiency, and do you know how much discomfort i have to keep my self o be able to enjoy the internet, which is not even 24/7 and you wanna think i will be happy,

Electricity is a mess here, A nation without constant electricity is falling and due to become a big failed olodo state
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by bidemi12(m): 2:36am On Dec 19, 2010
^^^^Tell him Jooo. . . . .
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by ahidjo: 2:58am On Dec 19, 2010
Nigeria became a a failed nation on the 2nd of October, 1960
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Osama10(m): 3:01am On Dec 19, 2010
poweredcom:

@honeric01

Type on a computer at the comfort of which home, when there is no light to power my laptop till full eficiency, and do you know how much discomfort i have to keep my self o be able to enjoy the internet, which is not even 24/7 and you wanna think i will be happy,

Electricity is a mess here, A nation without constant electricity is falling and due to become a big failed olodo state

Leave them jor.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by nwaikpete: 3:38am On Dec 19, 2010
I myself wonder if Nigerians will be honest in the guest of finding the true answer to the question. Pa trotism has nothing do with dishonest and most Nigerians are, some zealots think that by calling providence and reminding people of HIS existence make everthing right, God has nothing to do with whats happening in our country. We can not wait for HIM to come and keep ibb and the so called atiku out of politics, only we the people can control of our future. As it is to day in Nigeria, Christ will never come on a vacation in Nigeria hence a dirty country, since 1960 we have prayed and yet he is not forthcoming so think about how we can stand together and rebuild our country and leave Jesus Christ in new Jerusalem where he belongs.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by adim2(m): 4:37am On Dec 19, 2010
what else are the yardstick, Nigeria is a failed state
A country where people know of their leaders loot and still can prosecute such leader
A country that has not been able to transform successfully from agrarian to trandisia in the development continuum
A country where there is no natural disaster and yet a worst hit state with natural disaster has survived the trauma
A country that cannot trained her citizens and develop her human resource for future occurrence
A country where certificate is all that matters
A country that a candidate can openly condemns a political party and later via for presidency next four years under the same part
A country where people opinion and voice is not heard
A country that local govt officials don't come to work

there are lots of criteria that show that Nigeria is a failed state
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by akwaowoudo(m): 7:18am On Dec 19, 2010
Between darkness and light, there exist a visible demarcation. Who says Nigeria is not a failed state? Nigeria failed because of us! We destroyed Nigeria and we are still destroying more and more. We are only 50years old politically but we are much older when you make your sums right. IBB, OBASANJO, ATIKU, ABACHA's and other accomplices in crime are patrons in the fall of Nigeria. The truth stands no matter the garnishing with words.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by honeric01(m): 10:16am On Dec 19, 2010
poweredcom:

@honeric01

Yes, electricity is not constant, not because we cannot have a constant electricity, but because people like you are fond to always nag nag nag without any action, we all know why we don't have constant electricity (corruption from the few elite), yet we that are bearing the brunt have failed to act, we sit down, nag about all our problems without taking any action.

ELECTION IS COMING, VOTE THESE PEOPLE OUT, if smaller & bigger countries could fix electricity for their own country, why can't we have the same? answer is corrupt leaders and weak followers who only know how to nag and whine, yet wouldn't act.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Nobody: 11:42am On Dec 19, 2010
honeric01:

Yes, electricity is not constant, not because we cannot have a constant electricity, but because people like you are fond to always nag nag nag without any action, we all know why we don't have constant electricity (corruption from the few elite), yet we that are bearing the brunt have failed to act, we sit down, nag about all our problems without taking any action.

ELECTION IS COMING, VOTE THESE PEOPLE OUT, if smaller & bigger countries could fix electricity for their own country, why can't we have the same? answer is corrupt leaders and weak followers who only know how to nag and whine, yet wouldn't act.
You make me laugh. You are talking of voting out corrupt leaders. We dont elect leaders in this country .They are selected by the top caucus. If Nigeria is not a failed state ibori, ibb, odili, lucky igbins, uduaghan, dariye, alamieyeseigha, patricia etteh, atiku and others would have been languishing in jail. If not for britain and UAE, ibori would have squashed the case long ago.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by honeric01(m): 12:12pm On Dec 19, 2010
tosag:

You make me laugh. You are talking of voting out corrupt leaders. We dont elect leaders in this country .They are selected by the top caucus. If Nigeria is not a failed state ibori, ibb, odili, lucky igbins, uduaghan, dariye, alamieyeseigha, patricia etteh, atiku and others would have been languishing in jail. If not for britain and UAE, ibori would have squashed the case long ago.

Ok ok ok ok, they get selected, yes Nigeria is a failed state, ok ok, so what should we do? angry angry angry angry angry angry keep nagging or take action? revolt or keep whining?

Pastor Adeboye already said on LIVE TV that he is ready to lead a protest if the coming election is rigged, now this is what i called ACTION, tell me, what's your own plan to make your failed state of Nigeria better? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by wazobiang: 12:42pm On Dec 19, 2010
dis your topic is a failed topic @poster
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by bidemi12(m): 12:50pm On Dec 19, 2010
honeric01:

My brother, i dont know why you do not want to accept this simple truth. you and i know that our votes dont count. how can it when thugs can just highjack a poling station and the police are powerless to do anything about it. This is the reason why we have failed. when something is going wrong in a country, at least you are rest assured that you can change it with your vote, but not in Nigeria. How can you change anything when the electoral process is flawed. Plus, not to mention that the the police is impotent. what this means is you will have the same set of people ruling, much like what is happening in Nigeria. Soon we will become a monarchy. And with each decade that passes the rot becomes stronger and more aggressive so much so that Nigerian kids already understand words like, “egunje”, ‘’chop” “settle”. My guy we don fail pass fail. NA REPEAT WE DE REPEAT CLASS NOW.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by honeric01(m): 1:41pm On Dec 19, 2010
bidemi12:

[b]My brother, i dont know why you do not want to accept this simple truth[/b]. you and i know that our votes dont count. how can it when thugs can just highjack a poling station and the police are powerless to do anything about it. This is the reason why we have failed. when something is going wrong in a country, at least you are rest assured that you can change it with your vote, but not in Nigeria. How can you change anything when the electoral process is flawed. Plus, not to mention that the the police is impotent. what this means is you will have the same set of people ruling, much like what is happening in Nigeria. Soon we will become a monarchy. And with each decade that passes the rot becomes stronger and more aggressive so much so that Nigerian kids already understand words like, “egunje”, ‘’chop” “settle”. My guy we don fail pass fail. NA REPEAT WE DE REPEAT CLASS NOW.

^^^^^

oK WE DON FAIL, WE DON SCATTER, INFACT WE NO DEY IN EXISTENCE AGAIN, SO ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? HAS THIS NAGGING OF YOURS PUT FOOD ON YOUR TABLE OR ON THE TABLE OF THOSE HOW DON'T HAVE ANY? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

If the votes are rigged, what stops you from protesting and revolting?
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by daylae(m): 1:50pm On Dec 19, 2010
We no pass we no fail.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by bidemi12(m): 2:02pm On Dec 19, 2010
honeric01:

^^^^^
oK WE DON FAIL, WE DON SCATTER, INFACT WE NO DEY IN EXISTENCE AGAIN, SO ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? HAS THIS NAGGING OF YOURS PUT FOOD ON YOUR TABLE OR ON THE TABLE OF THOSE HOW DON'T HAVE ANY? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
If the votes are rigged, what stops you from protesting and revolting?

step 1 has been achieved by making you acknowledge that fact. step 2 then is to help you understand that the revolutionary route will not work. The average nigerian's mindset is too f.u.c.ked to make it work. i know, the next thought would be to say/think that i am coward. far from it. i risk my life on a daily basis for what i believe in. violence means nothing to me, i have been trained for it. but my training has also taught me that for violence to work i must trust the guy to my left and right and most importantly, the guy behind me. they should be able to cover me 360 degrees. Money and corruption has eroded our way of thinking so much so that the first sign of dollars the Protesters and revolutionalist would abandon ship. No, the way forward is to start from home. I mean from your home, with your children, the future generation. Ours is gone. Nothing can be done. Start teaching them what is right and they will not depart from it. Good morals has been thrown to the wind and it is time to bring it back. Distance them from words like egunje, settle and the like. Show them how to dispose of refuse properly at an early age. If they unwrap a piece of candy and there is no garbage site in the vicinity, then put the wrap in your pocket until you get home then dispose of it. Show them how to prepare a budget at an early age so they will be prepared for the future. Teach them what patience is. Rushing and fighting for position will not do. These are baby steps but they are strong foundations that will last forever. One person cannot do it. It must be a collective effort. This is the only way forward. Our children.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Dec 19, 2010
honeric01:

Ok ok ok ok, they get selected, yes Nigeria is a failed state, ok ok, so what should we do? angry angry angry angry angry angry keep nagging or take action? revolt or keep whining?

Pastor Adeboye already said on LIVE TV that he is ready to lead a protest if the coming election is rigged, now this is what i called ACTION, tell me, what's your own plan to make your failed state of Nigeria better? undecided undecided undecided undecided
The first step towards recovery is to recognise the fact that Nigeria has failed. Then we start massive campaign for a change. Most importantly, everybody should do whatever he/she is doing well. Teacher- teach well, police- police well,governor- govern well etc.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by honeric01(m): 2:16pm On Dec 19, 2010
Hhehehehehehe, empty barrels, who get time for 2 of una, you both are looking for who to bring to your "party" right? sorry to burst your bubbles, i am not in the same "FAILED STATE" party you both belong to.

Your own Nigeria is a failed state, mine isn't, that's why i rather spend time correcting the lapses than sitting down, nagging and looking for more people to nag with.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by NubianQ(f): 2:21pm On Dec 19, 2010
@POSTER

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by bidemi12(m): 2:24pm On Dec 19, 2010
honeric01:

Hhehehehehehe, empty barrels, who get time for 2 of una, you both are looking for who to bring to your "party" right? sorry to burst your bubbles, i am not in the same "FAILED STATE" party you both belong to.

Your own Nigeria is a failed state, mine isn't, that's why i rather spend time correcting the lapses than sitting down, nagging and looking for more people to nag with.

I am not surprised. Denial is a disease rapidly spreading and has overtaken most people there.

"no, there is no problem in nigeria jooo. what are they talking about? is this not isi ewu and star lager i am digesting here? if there is problem will i be able to chop this correct meal? let me swig another bottle Jooo. eehh nnamdi, yussuf, ade, come and see what these foolish people are talking about. failed ko failed ni. i beg make we go hussle correct babes for unilag jare"

Dream on brother. one day you will wake up to reality.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by honeric01(m): 2:38pm On Dec 19, 2010
Yarn!
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:06pm On Dec 19, 2010
@bidemi12
I am quite appalled at the infantile reasoning you have shown on this thread. I have asked you numerous questions and you have chosen to dodge all of them, if you cannot succinctly state why all the criteria you chose is peculiar to Nigeria alone then I am afraid you are part of the problem we have in this country. Honeric has tried to impact some sense into you but you have resigned yourself and there is really no need to waste time on people like you.
Denial my friend would be saying that there is no problem in Nigeria, we have loads of problems and they are no unique to Nigeria. Russia has a flawed electoral process, same goes for most middle eastern countries which do not even practice democracy. Even in Egypt's past election there were youtube clips of electoral officers rigging election, is that a yardstick to call a country a failed state? If it is then you have to lump all these countries into it as well. India has more slums than Nigeria, more poor people than Nigeria, in fact on National geographic's recent taboo they showed families who still feed on rat from farms to survive. Not to talk of electricity being everywhere in india, oh and they still have rebels near the pakistani border. Pray tell me why india is not a failed state?

We have problems in Nigeria no denying, but you should realise that the powers that be are happy when they hear people like you say there is no hope because they can continue looting us dry, which by the way is not only restricted to Nigeria. Honestly look around you and I can assure you that only about 2 in 100 people you know cannot eat food, how many of your friends cannot afford a telephone? take a hard honest look at it. You cannot cannot compare Nigeria to somalia sudan and chad, it is an insult to you and your generation unborn. We are way more mature than those countries.

Your children would suffer the same fate as you if you are not willing to lay down your life now to fight for that change, no matter how much you teach them not to throw candy wrappers they would still suffer at the hands of the children of those looters who would be teaching their kids the way to steal money.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by bidemi12(m): 4:32pm On Dec 19, 2010
@Chrisbenogor, your rethoric to the layman would be close to intelligent but to people like us who obviously and truely intelligent, it would be a tough sell. Let me dismantle your so called logic step by step. Step 1, you agree there is decay on all levels of society right? so how can you trust the next man to follow through on his pledge to fight with you when the time comes? You don’t even trust people of different tribes in the so called error called Nigeria.
Step 2, if all levels of society has been corrupted where do you start from but from the beginning. And the beginning my friend-in-denial is from the future generation. Start teaching them what is right now so our future can be guaranteed.
Step 3, you claim violence is the answer I agree with you but not in Nigeria. Do you think I will trust my life to someone who does not know which way is up when holding an m16 or would desert me when shown cash. Like I said before violence is not strange to me but I would never trust a computer warrior when he is trying to lead me into one. Especially one from Nigeria where at the sound of gunfire would disappear like the wind. Believe me war sounds great until you are in it my bro. I have done two tours so I know what I am talking about.
In conclusion, we have no recourse but to resort to bringing up our children the right way to take over for the future because if they are as messed up as this generation is then the cycle will continue.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by blackcypha(m): 5:08pm On Dec 19, 2010
yes yes and yes,
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by EKONGKING: 5:39pm On Dec 19, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

@bidemi12
I am quite appalled at the infantile reasoning you have shown on this thread. I have asked you numerous questions and you have chosen to dodge all of them, if you cannot succinctly state why all the criteria you chose is peculiar to Nigeria alone then I am afraid you are part of the problem we have in this country. Honeric has tried to impact some sense into you but you have resigned yourself and there is really no need to waste time on people like you.
Denial my friend would be saying that there is no problem in Nigeria, we have loads of problems and they are no unique to Nigeria. Russia has a flawed electoral process, same goes for most middle eastern countries which do not even practice democracy. Even in Egypt's past election there were youtube clips of electoral officers rigging election, is that a yardstick to call a country a failed state? If it is then you have to lump all these countries into it as well. India has more slums than Nigeria, more poor people than Nigeria, in fact on National geographic's recent taboo they showed families who still feed on rat from farms to survive. Not to talk of electricity being everywhere in india, oh and they still have rebels near the pakistani border. Pray tell me why india is not a failed state?

We have problems in Nigeria no denying, but you should realise that the powers that be are happy when they hear people like you say there is no hope because they can continue looting us dry, which by the way is not only restricted to Nigeria. Honestly look around you and I can assure you that only about 2 in 100 people you know cannot eat food, how many of your friends cannot afford a telephone? take a hard honest look at it. You cannot cannot compare Nigeria to somalia sudan and chad, it is an insult to you and your generation unborn. We are way more mature than those countries.

Your children would suffer the same fate as you if you are not willing to lay down your life now to fight for that change, no matter how much you teach them not to throw candy wrappers they would still suffer at the hands of the children of those looters who would be teaching their kids the way to steal money.

Chris I admire ur patriotism and feel something has to be done .But we also have to acknowledge Nigeria is Failed state or something close to it.
you have given example of russia and middle east having flawed democratic process which is in common with Nigeria. YES i agree with you but thats it but you cant compare the standard of living ,quality of life index
India has population of 1.2 billion which is 8 times nigerian population so obiously there will be more number of slums and poor people when compared to nigeria. The important thing is the percentage of people which is below poverty line.
regarding electricity india has percaptia consuption of 50.5 watts compared to nigerias 14.6
life expectancy of india is 63.7 compared to 46.9 in case of nigeria (nigeria since it independence has acheived a increase of 1 year in life span)
India has rebel problem in form of  left wing rebels i agree and thats what iam worried about nigeria, India for 50 years upto 1997 have achieved very little growth leading to dissatisfaction and anger against the government leading to left wing violence in 5 states. Same thing can happen in nigeria too the conditions are similar
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by SapeleGuy: 5:46pm On Dec 19, 2010
If Nigeria were a student, he would be the bully at the back of the class - the perennial repeater with a full grown beard, hairy legs and bass voice in primary 4.

Nigeria has failed in every facet of life except music and nollywood. No amount of positive thinking can wash away this fact.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 19, 2010
@ Bidemi12 leave dem joor! Nigeria is the most prosperous nation on earth. Right here am enjoying myself, drinking a chilled bottled of malt and watching cable tv. Can people in a failed state enjoy like this?  Very soon Nigeria own failure go pass that of somalia before una eye go clear.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by jaygetta(m): 7:05pm On Dec 19, 2010
Long story short: Nigeria is a failed state!
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by LFJ: 8:08pm On Dec 19, 2010
I don't think patriotism has anything to do with fact on ground. To me, all indicators of failure pointed to our direction. The early we face reality the better equipped we are to solve the various problems confronting us as a nation. Let do our own analysis and see if we need somebody else to tell us what is obvious:

Political indicators
1.   Criminalization and/or delegitimisation of the state: endemic corruption or profiteering by ruling elites and resistance to transparency, accountability and political representation. Includes any widespread loss of popular confidence in state institutions and processes.

2.   Progressive deterioration of public services: a disappearance of basic state functions that serve the people, including failure to protect citizens from terrorism and violence and to provide essential services, such as health, education, sanitation, public transportation. Also using the state apparatus for agencies that serve the ruling elites, such as the security forces, presidential staff, central bank, diplomatic service, customs and collection agencies.

3.   Widespread violation of human rights: an emergence of authoritarian, dictatorial or military rule in which constitutional and democratic institutions and processes are suspended or manipulated. Outbreaks of politically inspired (as opposed to criminal) violence against innocent civilians. A rising number of political prisoners or dissidents who are denied due process consistent with international norms and practices. Any widespread abuse of legal, political and social rights, including those of individuals, groups or cultural institutions (e.g., harassment of the press, politicization of the judiciary, internal use of military for political ends, public repression of political opponents, religious or cultural persecution.)

4.   Security apparatus as ‘state within a state’: an emergence of elite or praetorian guards that operate with impunity. Emergence of state-sponsored or state-supported private militias that terrorize political opponents, suspected "enemies," or civilians seen to be sympathetic to the opposition. An "army within an army" that serves the interests of the dominant military or political clique. Emergence of rival militias, guerilla forces or private armies in an armed struggle or protracted violent campaigns against state security forces.

5.   Rise of factionalised elites: a fragmentation of ruling elites and state institutions along group lines. Use of aggressive nationalistic rhetoric by ruling elites, especially destructive forms of communal irredentism (e.g., "Greater Serbia"wink or communal solidarity (e.g., "ethnic cleansing", "defending the faith"wink.

6.   Intervention of other states or external factors: military or Para-military engagement in the internal affairs of the state at risk by outside armies, states, identity groups or entities that affect the internal balance of power or resolution of the conflict. Intervention by donors, especially if there is a tendency towards over-dependence on foreign aid or peacekeeping missions.

Social indicators
1.   Demographic pressures: including the pressures deriving from high population density relative to food supply and other life-sustaining resources. The pressure from a population's settlement patterns and physical settings, including border disputes, ownership or occupancy of land, access to transportation outlets, control of religious or historical sites, and proximity to environmental hazards.

2.    Massive movement of refugees and internally displaced peoples: forced uprooting of large communities as a result of random or targeted violence and/or repression, causing food shortages, disease, lack of clean water, land competition, and turmoil that can spiral into larger humanitarian and security problems, both within and between countries.

3.    Legacy of vengeance-seeking group grievance: based on recent or past injustices, this could date back centuries. Including atrocities committed with impunity against communal groups and/or specific groups singled out by state authorities, or by dominant groups, for persecution or repression. Institutionalized political exclusion. Public scapegoating of groups believed to have acquired wealth, status or power as evidenced in the emergence of "hate" radio, pamphleteering and stereotypical or nationalistic political rhetoric.

4.   Chronic and sustained human flight: both the "brain drain" of professionals, intellectuals and political dissidents and voluntary emigration of "the middle class." Growth of exile/expat communities are also used as part of this indicator.

Economic indicators
1.   Uneven economic development along group lines: determined by group-based inequality, or perceived inequality, in education, jobs, and economic status. Also measured by group-based poverty levels, infant mortality rates, and education levels.

2.   Sharp and/or severe economic decline: measured by a progressive economic decline of the society as a whole (using: per capita income, GNP, debt, child mortality rates, poverty levels, business failures.) A sudden drop in commodity prices, trade revenue, foreign investment or debt payments. Collapse or devaluation of the national currency and a growth of hidden economies, including the drug trade, smuggling, and capital flight. Failure of the state to pay salaries of government employees and armed forces or to meet other financial obligations to its citizens, such as pension payment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failed_state
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by ShangoThor(m): 8:34pm On Dec 19, 2010
It makes me laugh when people talk about Dubai and its development out of context. ‘Dubai World’ – the firm responsible for the main property development owes its creditors (a series of UK Banks) approximately $18 Billion USD. Moreover, they have also had to renegotiate the terms of paying back their loans due to problems associated with the global recession. Their creditors face a 9 year repayment instalment delay.

Hence it is not true to claim that Dubai was built solely on oil money. Check out the link below.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/mar/23/dubai-world-delays-debt-repayment

tEsLim :

Nigeria has been a failed state since independence. Dubai was built under 37years with oil money. That place was a desert.  THey discovered oil after the Brits left. And used it very very well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oshiomhole, Umar Mustapha Pay Condolence Visit To Shettima, Borno Governor / Kerosene Subsidy: Marketers May Sell Above N200/L - Vangaurd / Tony Attah: LNG Train 7 To Attract $10 Billion Into Nigeria's Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.