Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,109 members, 7,807,343 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:32 PM

What Made Nigeria So Populated - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Made Nigeria So Populated (19971 Views)

Amaechi To Be Made Nigeria Ambassador To Australia. / Ezeife- They Have Made Nigeria Ungovernable For Jonathan / Who Is The Most Corrupt President In Nigeria So Far? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Nobody: 10:08am On Dec 17, 2010
we no sabi count 123. I dey laugh
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Abagworo(m): 10:25am On Dec 17, 2010
I still do not believe in their 150 million.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by hasyak(m): 10:32am On Dec 17, 2010
a foreigner ask a very simple question, and the best way we can answer him is to insult yourselves, pls if you dont have any reasonable thing to say, just keep quiet and move. you should not come out and show how u r.

@ poster, we are bless with good environment that make raising kids very easy, and apart from that, averagely we are polygamous in nature.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Onlytruth(m): 10:43am On Dec 17, 2010
hasyak:

a foreigner ask a very simple question, and the best way we can answer him is to insult yourselves, pls if you dont have any reasonable thing to say, just keep quiet and move. you should not come out and show how u r.

@ poster, we are bless with good environment that make raising kids very easy, and apart from that, averagely we are polygamous in nature.

Nigerians and their sense of self-worth sef! Some Zimbabwe guy comes here to write the following and you don't find anything remotely insulting.  undecided undecided

if i compare nigerian in terms of size and population to south africa it totally the opposite

south africa (1,221,037 km2 ) is bigger than nigeria but has only a population of 50 million

nigeria size 923,768 km2  and the population 150 million 3 times of south africa

what made the population boom or [size=14pt]you just bonk like rabbits and have so many litters[/size]

Let me tell you in pedestrian language what he was saying really.

South Africa has more land and more money, but control their population more than Nigeria.
Nigeria simply breeds without planning.

There you go. In street language! undecided cool
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Guyman02: 10:58am On Dec 17, 2010
There is no tribe in Nigeria called Hausa-Fulani, we only have Hausa as tribe and Fulani as a different tribe. The term Hausa-Fulani is a political phrase used by Fulani elites during electios to curry the favour of the majority Hausa tribe in the North. While the Hausas speak Hausa language as their dialect, the Fulanis speak Fulfude.

The Fulanis overthrew the majority Hausa leadership and installed their people as Emirs from Sokoto to Kano, Zaria down to Ilorin and use Islam as an opium to hold down the Hausas to see the Fulani Emirs as nearest to Allah based on the teachings of the foremost jihadist Uthman Dan Fodio.

While the Fulanis are among the most educated in the North, illiteracy is more prevalent among the Hausas who are encouraged by Fulani leaders to send their children to pass through the Almajiri sytem of education which encourages loyalty to the Emir 'who is appointed by Allah' and the Fulani Emir ruling the Hausas calls himself a Hausa-Fulani man.
We have Normadic Fulani cattle rearers who contribute immensely to the economy and not Fulani Almajiri.

Checkout all the key elite politicians from the North, they are all Fulanis (Atiku, Buhari, Ribadu, Gusau, Ciroma etc) the Northern consensus candidate issue is purely a Fulani affair. To achieve Northern solidarity Atiku or Gusau will refer to himself as Hausa-Fulani because the Fulanis dont have the numbers like the Hausas.
Samething like GEJ refering to himself as Ijaw-Igbo or Izon-Yoruba man.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Bawss1(m): 11:02am On Dec 17, 2010
Onlytruth don't troll!
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Onlytruth(m): 11:10am On Dec 17, 2010
Bawss1:

Onlytruth don't troll!

I truly felt insulted. Wasn't trolling. I'm not a rabbit, and I don't "bonk".
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:16am On Dec 17, 2010
@ Zim Ok, I can see it's an arid crop. I'm still worried about how many staple varieties you have or can make out of the Finger Millet.

I think food security is a major factor in population growth and the varieties of local staples we have plus the fertile tropical weather might be the reason for the huge population difference between Nigeria/West Africa/Congo and other African sub-regions

Do the the whities in Zim eat it? or only You guys eat it? (I'm assuming you are black)

@ Kilode?

people nolonger farm the millet becoz of the yield is low if you compare out put from the same piece of land we opted for maize

some whites eat sadza (maize meal) we staple food is mainly sadza (maize meal ) vegetables and beef
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:20am On Dec 17, 2010
Onlytruth:

To think that a Zimbabwean whose money -Zim dollar- is a trash-heap can come to nairaland to indirectly insult Nigeria and Nigerians is one of those days one accepts a humble pie. Bitterly.
You do so because of high level of ignorance among Nigerians on this site.

Let me paint the picture clearly.

Zimbabwe's GDP in 2009 was $4.161 billion with a population of 11 million

While Nigeria's GDP was $341.1 billion with a population of 150 million.

Nigeria is about 13 times larger than Zimbabwe in population, but with a whopping 85 times bigger GDP!

Pray, how dare a Zimbabwean show face on a Nigerian forum, especially when Nigerians know how wicked Zimbabweans (especially Shonas) are? Nigerian newspapers in the 1990s constantly relayed how Zimbabweans treated Nigerians.

Zimbabwe is not even richer than any Nigerian state! I can't recall any Nigerian state poorer than Zimbabwe.

I don chop sh1t! cry cry cry

what are you shouting about

i never compared nigeria and zimbabwe

i simply asked a question
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Onlytruth(m): 11:30am On Dec 17, 2010
ZIM DRILL:

what are you shouting about

i never compared nigeria and zimbabwe

i simply asked a question

My friend don't even get me started. Not all Nigerians are ignorant.
You laced your so called question with insults. Do you "bonk and breed like rabbits" in Zimbabwe? undecided

Are we complaining about our population?

Shouldn't you be busy worrying about your worthless dollars?

Your Zimbabwe needs more family planning than Nigeria considering your GDP and population.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by nvo5(f): 11:36am On Dec 17, 2010
what I think made Nigeria so populated is poverty.
no money for pleasure, outside the house expect in the
bedroom

most people don't go for family planning because its against
their religion
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Guyman02: 11:46am On Dec 17, 2010
nvo5:

what I think made Nigeria so populated is poverty.
no money for pleasure, outside the house expect in the
bedroom
grin grin grin even lack of electricity follow dey cause am; You cant watch TV programmes, so we always watch our women and the result: Plenty pikins grin grin grin
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by titsqueez(m): 11:56am On Dec 17, 2010
Thomas Malthus once stated that increased population may be due to the absence of farmine and war including natural disasters. So apart from the civil war one can say that the country has been really blessed. The land is fertile enough to produce food for families especially those in rural areas.

The problem though is that Nigeria with its population is still young. There will undoubtably be more pressure on resources (land) thus causing conflicts. We may have to start looking at population control and Malthus suggests some pretty extreme ways of doing this.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:00pm On Dec 17, 2010
Onlytruth:

My friend don't even get me started. Not all Nigerians are ignorant.
You laced your so called question with insults. Do you "bonk and breed like rabbits" in Zimbabwe? undecided

Are we complaining about our population?

Shouldn't you be busy worrying about your worthless dollars?

Your Zimbabwe needs more family planning than Nigeria considering your GDP and population.

kids come from bonking unless in nigeria you got your own way of doing it

you aint being real zimbabwe doesnt need family planning compared to nigeria
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:01pm On Dec 17, 2010
Guyman02:

grin grin grin even lack of electricity follow dey cause am; You cant watch TV programmes, so we always watch our women and the result: Plenty pikins grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by sley4life(m): 12:22pm On Dec 17, 2010
Corruption and lack of civility among some sections of the country
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Nobody: 12:38pm On Dec 17, 2010
of cos we allnknow d ansa,is it not dis stoooooid culture dat makes men get d idea dat if dey dont marry several wives and have dozens of kids from different women,they are not yet men.its an african thing though but its common amomg d bayelsas,yorubas and northerners,esecially those dat ractice sharia.unfortunatly our society encourages it,even our mothers too.i wonder d calibre of mothers we have dis days dat encourage their daughters to be nd and 3rd wivws 4 a piece of cake and d foolish ladies will readily give in and decide be a cometitor in terms of who can roduce d highest number of kids and of cos,some deseratly luk 4 male kids dat dey'll kip takin in till dey get a male child,all dis r contributory factors population xplosion in nigeria
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Faun(m): 12:43pm On Dec 17, 2010
Dear Igbobuigbo.
Yes! Yes!! yes!!!
In the olden days, Yoruba
people were referred to as Oyo
mesi!

And I'm guessing you were too much of a dullard to see "Onitsha Kingdom." smiley
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Faun(m): 12:53pm On Dec 17, 2010
Dont LOGOFF on ME
COME OUT AND FIGHT ME LIKE
A MAN

Oh, and I also have to add -- Only an idle and hopelessly lonely sack of failure would even delude himself into thinking that fighting on internet message boards identifies him as a man. Wow - congratulations, thicko. smiley
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by strangerf: 12:56pm On Dec 17, 2010
Faun:

And I'm guessing you were too much of a dullard to see "Onitsha Kingdom." smiley
Sup AkinEgba = Igbobuigbo = Faun.                            Onitsha kingdom is not the same as having an Empire

An empire (also known technically, abstractly or disparagingly as an imperium, and with powers known among Romans as "imperium"wink comprises a set of regions locally ruled by governors, viceroys or client kings in the name of an emperor. By extension, one could classify as an empire any large, multi-ethnic state ruled from a single center. Like other states, an empire maintains its political structure at least partly by coercion. Land-based empires (such as Mongol or Achaemenid Persia) tend to extend in a contiguous area; sea-borne empires, also known as thalassocracies (the Athenian and British empires provide examples), may feature looser structures and more scattered territories.The actual political concept predates the Romans by several hundred years: empires began to appear soon after the first cities made the necessary administrative structures possible. The Akkadian Empire of Sargon of Akkad furnishes one of the earliest known examples. Compare the concept of "empire" with that of a federation, where a large, multi-ethnic state — or even an ethnically homogeneous one like Japan or a small area like Switzerland — relies on mutual agreement amongst its component political units. Also, one can compare physical empires with potentially more abstract or less formally structured hegemonies, which add cultural influences to their power repertory within their spheres of influence, compare empires with superpowers

A kingdom is a single country.

Again where is the IBO EMPIRE, NO? ONLY AN ORDINARY KINGDOM? THE ONE IN SHANTY TOWN ONITSHA?
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Arosa(m): 12:58pm On Dec 17, 2010
, And God blessed them "Nigeria", saying, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the whole of Africa. and we are doing just that. The bantus are our children. they are everywhere from west Africa to south Africa. Naija is the father of Black Africa. cool
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Abagworo(m): 1:07pm On Dec 17, 2010
Benin actually had an empire.I don't know whether to classify Oyo as one because defining Yoruba is an issue.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Faun(m): 1:10pm On Dec 17, 2010
strangerf:

Sup AkinEgba = Igbobuigbo = Faun.                            Onitsha kingdom is not the same as having an Empire

An empire (also known technically, abstractly or disparagingly as an imperium, and with powers known among Romans as "imperium"wink comprises a set of regions locally ruled by governors, viceroys or client kings in the name of an emperor. By extension, one could classify as an empire any large, multi-ethnic state ruled from a single center. Like other states, an empire maintains its political structure at least partly by coercion. Land-based empires (such as Mongol or Achaemenid Persia) tend to extend in a contiguous area; sea-borne empires, also known as thalassocracies (the Athenian and British empires provide examples), may feature looser structures and more scattered territories.The actual political concept predates the Romans by several hundred years: empires began to appear soon after the first cities made the necessary administrative structures possible. The Akkadian Empire of Sargon of Akkad furnishes one of the earliest known examples. Compare the concept of "empire" with that of a federation, where a large, multi-ethnic state — or even an ethnically homogeneous one like Japan or a small area like Switzerland — relies on mutual agreement amongst its component political units. Also, one can compare physical empires with potentially more abstract or less formally structured hegemonies, which add cultural influences to their power repertory within their spheres of influence, compare empires with superpowers

A kingdom is a single country.

Congratulations, my Google Knight - you have just succeeded in posting a hopelessly long and laughably inconsequential diatribe I unfortunately won't bother reading.
But, umm, too bad for you, it has just reinforced my earlier statement about you being jobless. Sad but true. Like seriously, all this just to help console your withering life with the psychedelic notion that "Yorubas are better"? Wow! Unfortunately, that still hasn't fetched you a job, money, friends, or life grin - and that's a bitter fact.
It still hasn't stopped you from being a sad loner who lives in his mom's basement; instead, it just makes you a really idle guy with far too much time in his hands, surfing the internet to congratulate himself on his mediocre life. Too bad, so sad.
And one more thing - I'm not AkinEgba or whatever you call him. But I like it when you assign me names. It adds to my ambiguity wink
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by strangerf: 1:10pm On Dec 17, 2010
Yeah, Benin had an empire, but not the Ibos

The Ibos were only able to have a mere kingdom

Having an empire was beyond them, both intellectually and physically!
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by strangerf: 1:14pm On Dec 17, 2010
Faun:

Congratulations, my Google Knight - you have just succeeded in posting a hopelessly long and laughably inconsequential diatribe I unfortunately won't bother reading.
But, umm, too bad for you, it has just reinforced my earlier statement about you being jobless. Sad but true. Like seriously, all this just to help console your withering life with the psychedelic notion that "Yorubas are better"? Wow! Unfortunately, that still hasn't fetched you a job, money, friends, or life grin - and that's a bitter fact.
It still hasn't stopped you from being a sad loner who lives in his mom's basement; instead, it just makes you a really idle guy with far too much time in his hands, surfing the internet to congratulate himself on his mediocre life. Too bad, so sad.
And one more thing - AkinEgba or whatever you call him. But I like it when you assign me names. It adds to my ambiguity wink

Thanks for the compliment. And you wrote all of that for me? I am flabbergasted beyond belief, never had someone pay so much attention to me. Now I can go to my grave, knowing that i have impacted someone, Faun

Once again, thanks for your time. Nsobu!
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by REALTRUTH1: 1:19pm On Dec 17, 2010
The fact here is that,,,as we speak right now,,,,Nigeria does not have any accurate figure that defines the exact number of her populace.
Its simply unbelievable to assume that Nigeria is 150Million people. The international community still laughs hard at Nigeria because we simply do not know the size of our population.
Nigeria population as far as I know is far above 150Million. On several occassions,,,Nigeria officials had given very contradicting figures as to what the population is. The painful thing is that when the multiplier effects of the devastating effects of overpopulation starts hitting us(Nigeria),,,it just gonna be too late.
I really do not see the poster insulting Nigeria,,,rather Nigerians should start thinking,,,,
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by hax: 1:20pm On Dec 17, 2010
What makes the country overpopulated?

Gold circle.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Faun(m): 1:21pm On Dec 17, 2010
strangerf:

Thanks for the compliment. And you wrote all of that for me? I am flabbergasted beyond belief, never had someone pay so much attention to me. Now I can go to my grave, knowing that i have impacted someone, Faun

Once again, thanks for your time. Nsobu!

Oh, sure. You're most definitely welcome. And if the highlighted part is anything to go by, it's easy to understand why you storm the internet with petty tribal issues to cheer yourself up. Keep doing what you're doing, bro. . . From the basement. wink

Once again, you're welcome.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by strangerf: 1:25pm On Dec 17, 2010
Faun:

Oh, sure. You're most definitely welcome. And if the highlighted part is anything to go by, it's easy to understand why you storm the internet with petty tribal issues to cheer yourself up. Keep doing what you're doing, bro. . . From the basement. wink

Once again, you're welcome.

Glad we had this talk

No you accept that we are superior, innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnit?
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by ochiaha1(m): 2:30pm On Dec 17, 2010
strangerf:

Yeah, Benin had an empire, but not the Ibos

The Ibos were only able to have a mere kingdom

Having an empire was beyond them, both intellectually and physically!

Strangerf, The Ibos are repubicans by nature, like the Greeks were too,and so did not need any tyrant in the form
of a King to rule over them.

You have to appreciate that God created different tribes to foister diversity on mankind. Can you imagine what the world have looked like if we all spoke the same language, had the same customs and tradition and the same system of administration? Everything will look drab and ordinary without any new thing to learn !!!

When you say the Ibos do not have the intellect to run empires, I laugh so much my ribs ache. Its the same Ibos who after the civil war have been able carve out financial empires from little or no resources. Go to Lagos and see the empires they have built, go to Nnewi, Aba etc.

From your write up, I guess you are a benin guy, my advise for you therefore, as well to all Benin people, is that they should stop living on past glory. Yes, your benin empire was once strong, but today, its a mere ceremonial entity with an Oba as its head. Ibos have built new and modern financially relevant empires, while you guys are still living in a past of backwardness, unemployment, etc. Wake up from your false sense of achievement. cool
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by dayokanu(m): 3:01pm On Dec 17, 2010
Nigeria has been habited for a very long time and has a favourable climate.

The population figure in Nigeria is almost correct.

Hausa states have a high population. The determining factor is the women and Hausa women start breeding by 15 up till 45, Thats almost 30yrs of childbirth.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by AkinEgba: 3:18pm On Dec 17, 2010
ochi-aha:

Strangerf, The Ibos are repubicans by nature, like the Greeks were too,and so did not need any tyrant in the form
of a King to rule over them.

You have to appreciate that God created different tribes to foister diversity on mankind. Can you imagine what the world have looked like if we all spoke the same language, had the same customs and tradition and the same system of administration? Everything will look drab and ordinary without any new thing to learn !!!

When you say the Ibos do not have the intellect to run empires, I laugh so much my ribs ache. Its the same Ibos who after the civil war have been able carve out financial empires from little or no resources. Go to Lagos and see the empires they have built, go to Nnewi, Aba etc.

From your write up, I guess you are a benin guy, my advise for you therefore, as well to all Benin people, is that they should stop living on past glory. Yes, your benin empire was once strong, but today, its a mere ceremonial entity with an Oba as its head. Ibos have built new and modern financially relevant empires, while you guys are still living in a past of backwardness, unemployment, etc. Wake up from your false sense of achievement. cool

I do not know why my fellow Yoruba love basking in old, lost glory. We were so great yet we lost Ilorin to the Fulani? Why did we have different tribal marks if we were one great monolithic Yoruba empire? Really, I get am before no be property.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Warri Refinery Crippled By Disrepair, Corruption, Shuts Down / Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke / MEND Still Wants My Assassination - Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.