Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,110 members, 7,807,352 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:35 PM

Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES - Agriculture (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES (139335 Views)

My Experience Cultivating 10 Hecters (25 Acres) Of Maize Farm Land / Cost Of Cultivating Cassava Farm On An Hectare / Cost Of Cultivating 1 Hectare Of Okra & Pepper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by grandpoh(m): 4:52pm On Apr 15, 2022
I don’t know what’s going on insect keep cutting the young Tomatoe stems and it’s getting out of hand

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by grandpoh(m): 4:55pm On Apr 15, 2022
Secondly am getting tired of this new workers of mine, left from for a while and I gave specific instructions which they didn’t follow and left nursery outgrowing the tray

Can I still transplant like this from the tray?
Would the yield be any different?

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ANOCETS: 7:41pm On Apr 15, 2022
grandpoh:
Secondly am getting tired of this new workers of mine, left from for a while and I gave specific instructions which they didn’t follow and left nursery outgrowing the tray

You can still transplant them, only that it will be more stressful because you will have to dig a deep hole for planting

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:58pm On Apr 15, 2022
grandpoh:
I don’t know what’s going on insect keep cutting the young Tomatoe stems and it’s getting out of hand
you supposed to spray the farmland before you plant, then spray the tomato either cypermethring or imidacloride at low dosage three days after you transplant.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:00pm On Apr 15, 2022
grandpoh:

no shaking you can transplant sir.... just make sure there is enough water on the ridges before you transplant.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by grandpoh(m): 8:21pm On Apr 15, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
you supposed to spray the farmland before you plant, then spray the tomato either cypermethring or imidacloride at low dosage three days after you transplant.

The land was fully sprayed with insecticide after applying nematicide and water
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by flowmama: 8:26pm On Apr 15, 2022
grandpoh:

This does not look like insect oo. its rodents or other grass eating animals. insects wont cut that big stem like that.

You can transplant the tall ones, just that they are liable to more transplant shock than smaller ones vos they will bend quickly. Ensure to dig hole dipper so the stem can form lots of adventitous roots.

Goodluck sir

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 7:09am On Apr 16, 2022
grandpoh:

The land was fully sprayed with insecticide after applying nematicide and water

You could have sprayed more than once, the insects keep coming from the nearby bushes. I have similar experience but prompt action curtailed them .

flowmama:

This does not look like insect oo. its rodents or other grass eating animals. insects wont cut that big stem like that.

You can transplant the tall ones, just that they are liable to more transplant shock than smaller ones vos they will bend quickly. Ensure to dig hole dipper so the stem can form lots of adventitous roots.

Goodluck sir

Grasshoppers and crickets are the cuprits ma. Higher herbivores like rodents eat only the fruits. With the springing up of new leaves, it shows it was eaten/cut at least a week or more ago when the stems are still tender.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by betabread: 2:09pm On Apr 17, 2022
Is it late to start a new tomato nusery that can meet high prices

I lost my farm to circumstances beyond my control
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by adeolaben(m): 3:30am On Apr 18, 2022
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 5:10am On Apr 18, 2022
betabread:
Is it late to start a new tomato nusery that can meet high prices

I lost my farm to circumstances beyond my control
not at all sir! Sorry about the loss.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by grandpoh(m): 9:01pm On Apr 18, 2022
OluchiDelly:

You could have sprayed more than once, the insects keep coming from the nearby bushes. I have similar experience but prompt action curtailed them .

Grasshoppers and crickets are the cuprits ma. Higher herbivores like rodents eat only the fruits. With the springing up of new leaves, it shows it was eaten/cut at least a week or more ago when the stems are still tender.

I noticed too cos some stems too were eaten on one of the nursery bed I did
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by pamcode(m): 11:27am On Apr 19, 2022
What could lead to tomato seedlings dying like this? @ farmerakinloye6

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by flowmama: 11:49am On Apr 19, 2022
pamcode:

Your leggy seedlings need adequate amount of sunlight, else they will keep growing towards direction of sunlight (+ve phototropism) and stem will be unnecessarily slim. They also need air to avoid damping off. Perhaps you got them covered far too long.
Give them those 2 things and you should be fine.

On another note, you didn't prepare your tray well oo. The cocopeat should be leveled such that the cells of the tray will be visibly distinct from each other. Just trying to imagine how you'll remove the seedlings from the trays at transplanting.

All the best

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 3:37pm On Apr 21, 2022
pamcode:
sorry about this though! But why do you do your cocopeat like that? Don't you watch the video on my channel on how to do it? Maybe I should show how to do raise bed then (in my next planting) because it seems to me lot of people are having issue with cocopeat and seedlings tray.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by pamcode(m): 7:57pm On Apr 21, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
sorry about this though! But why do you do your cocopeat like that? Don't you watch the video on my channel on how to do it? Maybe I should show how to do raise bed then (in my next planting) because it seems to me lot of people are having issue with cocopeat and seedlings tray.
I just got to the farm sir. I wasn't actually the one that did the planting. I would be using your video as guide for the next one.

Thank you for replying.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by pamcode(m): 8:00pm On Apr 21, 2022
flowmama:

Your leggy seedlings need adequate amount of sunlight, else they will keep growing towards direction of sunlight (+ve phototropism) and stem will be unnecessarily slim. They also need air to avoid damping off. Perhaps you got them covered far too long.
Give them those 2 things and you should be fine.

On another note, you didn't prepare your tray well oo. The cocopeat should be leveled such that the cells of the tray will be visibly distinct from each other. Just trying to imagine how you'll remove the seedlings from the trays at transplanting.

All the best
Thank you ma. I understand.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by vonxe: 3:30pm On Apr 23, 2022
Apart from discussing agronomic practices and solving shared problems I think we should also say something about costs.
3 plots of tomatoes have so far cost me 300k
Present basket of Hausa tomatoes is 10k.

My tomatoes is already flowering
I just pray say make I meet money
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by grandpoh(m): 10:52pm On Apr 26, 2022
Omo, bore hole don Bleep up
Rain no gree fall
Over 4days now tomatoes no see water oo���
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by vonxe: 2:49pm On Apr 27, 2022
grandpoh:
Rain no gree fall
How do you guys using borehole cope. To be sincere you na dey try. The operational cost will be killing.
Which area are you located, in southwest rain too plenty sef
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 3:31pm On Apr 28, 2022
vonxe:
Apart from discussing agronomic practices and solving shared problems I think we should also say something about costs.
3 plots of tomatoes have so far cost me 300k
Present basket of Hausa tomatoes is 10k.

My tomatoes is already flowering
I just pray say make I meet money
senior e tire me ooo...I took 500k to kick start work this year, Baba e no reach, cum still dey feed workers and allowance without harvesting anything At a time I can't afford to buy npk15 15 15 it was one female nairalander that bailed me out.

2 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 3:37pm On Apr 28, 2022
grandpoh:
Rain no gree fall
Baba how e take Bleep up? Because I want to put one in place by January or February next year. What is the pros and cons sir?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by grandpoh(m): 5:41pm On Apr 28, 2022
vonxe:

How do you guys using borehole cope. To be sincere you na dey try. The operational cost will be killing.
Which area are you located, in southwest rain too plenty sef

Am in south west.
Don’t even go to the operational cost at all but the thing is not everyone will get access land close to streams.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by grandpoh(m): 5:45pm On Apr 28, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
Baba how e take Bleep up? Because I want to put one in place by January or February next year. What is the pros and cons sir?

It was done manually close to 50 rings
I thinks it’s cos of the volume of water it’s pumping daily now about 18k ltrs.

The only thing with farm and borehole is that make sure you’re the only one operating it this way the pumping machine and gen lasts longer else those workers are devils incarnate.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 10:55pm On Apr 28, 2022
grandpoh:

The only thing with farm and borehole is that make sure you’re the only one operating it this way the pumping machine and gen lasts longer else those workers are devils incarnate.

Bros, you have not answered his question! He asked what exactly went wrong with your borehole? ....water dried up? Pumping machine faulty?

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 11:00pm On Apr 28, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
senior e tire me ooo...I took 500k to kick start work this year, Baba e no reach, cum still dey feed workers and allowance without harvesting anything At a time I can't afford to buy npk15 15 15 it was one female nairalander that bailed me out.

Bros, how much is crate now?, e be like say i dey see some orange coloration small small. I read in one thread that big basket is 6k in the north.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by grandpoh(m): 11:13pm On Apr 28, 2022
OluchiDelly:

Bros, you have not answered his question! He asked what exactly went wrong with your borehole? ....water dried up? Pumping machine faulty?

Water dried up and sand beneath affected the pumping machine.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 3:45am On Apr 29, 2022
grandpoh:

Water dried up and sand beneath affected the pumping machine.

Ok, sorry o. Thank God na tomato no be cucumber.
But I'm surprised you said u ve not seen rain for 4 days whereas i have received 2 (heavy) and one light shower this week in same SW, though in Osun, i guess urs is Ogun.
Throughout this month i have not done any serious irrigation, the rain has bn very steady here, at a point i have to start dividing some of my ridges into 2 to create emergency pathway for excess water to pass.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by vonxe: 8:04am On Apr 29, 2022
OluchiDelly:

Bros, how much is crate now?, e be like say i dey see some orange coloration small small. I read in one thread that big basket is 6k in the north.

The average price of the big basket in southwest now is 9-12k.
Just tell the orange coloration to turn to green
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by betabread: 6:00pm On Apr 29, 2022
grandpoh:

50 rings thats about 60m depth, with 18k liters per day........ men its better to go near a river.......,its not worth both installation and operational cost

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by grandpoh(m): 8:14pm On Apr 29, 2022
OluchiDelly:

Ok, sorry o. Thank God na tomato no be cucumber.
But I'm surprised you said u ve not seen rain for 4 days whereas i have received 2 (heavy) and one light shower this week in same SW, though in Osun, i guess urs is Ogun.
Throughout this month i have not done any serious irrigation, the rain has bn very steady here, at a point i have to start dividing some of my ridges into 2 to create emergency pathway for excess water to pass.

Am in ogun, yewa axis breeze dey plenty pass rain, most times you get to town there’s rain and farm go dry
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by grandpoh(m): 8:17pm On Apr 29, 2022
betabread:

50 rings thats about 60m depth, with 18k liters per day........ men its better to go near a river.......,its not worth both installation and operational cost

Unfortunately not everyone has access to lands near rivers.
Most times what I do is cultivate the local breeds to compliment the costs.

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (69) (Reply)

Practical Broiler Production, A Step By Step Tutorial With Pictures 150 birds / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.