Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,405 members, 7,808,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES (139455 Views)

My Experience Cultivating 10 Hecters (25 Acres) Of Maize Farm Land / Cost Of Cultivating Cassava Farm On An Hectare / Cost Of Cultivating 1 Hectare Of Okra & Pepper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jun 24, 2020
Saw these photos of Sakata hybrid tomatoes from a farm.

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 5:53am On Jun 25, 2020
EMMAACHILE:
Saw these photos of Sakata hybrid tomatoes from a farm.
Deep red colouration and uniformly sized fruits! shocked shocked shocked
Is that emerald F1?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Nobody: 8:40am On Jun 25, 2020
ideepaul:

Deep red colouration and uniformly sized fruits! shocked shocked shocked
Is that emerald F1?
Check this link https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3232497916809734&id=1292356614157217
Not sure of the variety but it should be Emerald F1 touted to produce 140 tons per hectare. A farm in Cameroon was said to harvest about 4000 baskets from a hectare of emerald f1

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 8:47am On Jun 25, 2020
EMMAACHILE:

Check this link https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3232497916809734&id=1292356614157217
Not sure of the variety but it should be Emerald F1 touted to produce 140 tons per hectare. A farm in Cameroon was said to harvest about 4000 baskets from a hectare of emerald f1
Emerald tomato is blood red with nice shape but poor taste, it's presently selling in akwa ibom due to scarcity, they buy from Cameroon just across the border. The local market women and buyers say it's the worst tasting tomatoes you will buy grin grin . I don't buy fresh tomatoes normally as I always have excess tomato available from my garden and sell in little quantities
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 12:03pm On Jun 25, 2020
EMMAACHILE:

You ealier called it sakata f1, the fb handle also called it sakata, why are you saying its emerald f1 again? Is sakata=emerald?

Modified:
OK i think I can relate the 2. Emerald is produced by sakata seed Co.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 12:34pm On Jun 25, 2020
seen the modification
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 12:36pm On Jun 25, 2020
OluchiDelly:

You ealier called it sakata f1, the fb handle also called it sakata, why are you saying its emerald f1 again? Is sakata=emerald?

Modified:
OK i think I can relate the 2. Emerald is produced by sakata seed Co.
Boss how far with the Okro seeds na? Lockdown never gree you sell seeds again?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 12:40pm On Jun 25, 2020
ideepaul:
sakata is a seed company (south African I think) just like east west, continental, technisem and the rest... their most popular tomato cultivar is emerald F1, just like technisem cobra, continental maxim, I have not open that page, but "from their shapes you shall know them" Rev 90:90 grin grin grin na special Bible o
Yea, the moment I remembered its a seed Co. , I modified the post.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jun 25, 2020
ideepaul:

Emerald tomato is blood red with nice shape but poor taste, it's presently selling in akwa ibom due to scarcity, they buy from Cameroon just across the border. The local market women and buyers say it's the worst tasting tomatoes you will buy grin grin . I don't buy fresh tomatoes normally as I always have excess tomato available from my garden and sell in little quantities
You mean Uyo people prefer local tomatoes to Sakata tomatoes?
We have real problems in Nigeria!
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 7:11pm On Jun 25, 2020
EMMAACHILE:

You mean Uyo people prefer local tomatoes to Sakata tomatoes?
We have real problems in Nigeria!
not preferred, that's the only option available! unless you plant your own...and it's expensive
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jun 25, 2020
ideepaul:

From your statement here, the local tomato variety is preferred to the hybrid in Uyo. It reminds me about someone i gave the improved moringa leafs i have in my house. He complained that the leaves were not sour like the local one even with obvious improvement in the nutrients of the new one.

Nigerians too like local things. Some people dont eat broilers or foreign turkey or even improved bitterleaf, or use yam pounder because they feel is not as strong as the local ones. lol
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 10:08pm On Jun 25, 2020
EMMAACHILE:

From your statement here, the local tomato variety is preferred to the hybrid in Uyo. It reminds me about someone i gave the improved moringa leafs i have in my house. He complained that the leaves were not sour like the local one even with obvious improvement in the nutrients of the new one.

Nigerians too like local things. Some people dont eat broilers or foreign turkey or even improved bitterleaf, or use yam pounder because they feel is not as strong as the local ones. lol

there are various hybrids in the market, and they have differing levels of acceptance based on criterion set by seller and in extension the marketers. I can sell off 20bags of avenir singlehandedly, but may struggle to sell 1 bag of local pepper that is not pungent and highly aromatic in Uyo. the Aunty that sells avenir in akpanandem market has a loyal base of customers she struggles to satisfy, she has sold to regular passerby, because the demand is higher, and min quantity is N500 naira, I have not seen her since the lockdown was lifted maybe she doesn't have supply anymore. people have traditional taste and appeal preference, and if you can't meet this, na OYO you dey o.
deep green cukes sell in southwest, bring it to Uyo, and your suffering will know no bounds
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 12:41pm On Jun 26, 2020
These is 9 and 8 days old TOMATO seedlings... Palm leaf was removed on the sixth day.

1 Share

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 2:49pm On Jun 26, 2020
Farmerakinloye6:
These is 9 and 8 days old TOMATO seedlings... Palm leaf was removed on the sixth day.
Still platinum?
And you have not helped us with the harvest progress angry angry
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by scorpio1(m): 8:17am On Jun 27, 2020
ideepaul:

Hahaha! Tomato staking is not easy o, you will tie ropes like you want to commit suicide, even cucumber dey learn seriously!
50-60 fruits average sized fruits shocked shocked shocked then I must test it/cobra 34 and avenir before this year runs out. Next year is for expansion o

Can someone use staking nets instead of tying ropes?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by scorpio1(m): 8:25am On Jun 27, 2020
jidestroud:

Interesting one.
I'm not in anyways choosy when it comes to cultivars to use, neither do I have preference for any. Other factors influence my judgment when buying seeds aside the need to get first experience from much talked about cultivar.

The season of planting is my major determinant of cultivar to use. It helps me develop the strategy to employed through the growing periods, which includes;

* Cultural practice & Biological methods to help curb expected diseases predisposed to such variety.
* Seed treatment,
* Improved drainage & proper sanitation.

Trust me, even the best of Cobra, Padma, Platinum etc. will succumb to none stop heavy rainfall (No tomato can, I stand to be corrected).

Moreover, during my stay in the North, I never even saw these hybrid varieties being farmed. Wetin concern them with hybrids? Uc 28b and others where used mostly and they are having excellent results walahi.

Nevertheless, if your choice is based on other characteristics of the cultivar in question, such as; taste, size, flavour, etc. then, that's a different one altogether. My preference would tilt towards the Roma cultivar.

I still don't understand how they do it over there in the North.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 2:26pm On Jun 27, 2020
scorpio1:

Can someone use staking nets instead of tying ropes?
staking nets are not effective for tomatoes as they don't have tendrils like cucumber to climb upwards. you either use ropes or staking sticks or poles
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 3:18pm On Jun 27, 2020
well let me say this again, Padma 108 F1 cracks during the rainy season if planted in an environment with heavy rainfalls similar to Akwa Ibom rains, It happens even if the fruits are not fully ripened and may lead to loss of more than 10% dependent on the intensity of rainfalls as at time of harvest. I saw this in the market today, and even mine pictured below cracked. when doing padma, don't use beds in the rainy season, use rigdes because they drain faster and the cracking cases are not much there. All pictured here have cracked

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 5:18pm On Jun 29, 2020
The nursery is now 12day old today ( both seedlings tray and raise bed was sow thesame day). He has also prepare his land. NOTE: THIS IS MY COLLEAGUE OWN NOT MINE.

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by IamAsiri: 8:29pm On Jun 29, 2020
Please how were these ridges made? Manually or mechanically?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 8:40pm On Jun 29, 2020
Farmerakinloye6:
The nursery is now 12day old today ( both seedlings tray and raise bed was sow thesame day). He has also prepare his land. NOTE: THIS IS MY COLLEAGUE OWN NOT MINE.
Please can you upload the pictures of a fully ripe platinum tomato, i want to see the redness level, Padma doesn't get beyond the light red stage with majority spotting yellow colouration
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 1:55am On Jun 30, 2020
jidestroud:
Cracking issues with padma?? shocked
That's a new one which I never experienced when I grew it. In my opinion, it certainly has to do with moisture management. What am I saying self, padma was built for the rains.

Even the fruits size we keep talking about ain't that small. Most of the fruits I got on the cobra, padma could rival the rio grande in my pilot project. (I will check my archives to get the pictures) Only the Roedo were outstandingly big.
Jelani too was okay though it was just about 3 plants I grew. Roma VF okay. Lindo was just there angry , UC 28 was superb likewise platinum.

Although some plants are more prone to cracking than others, but the real issue is irrigation management for the plants. 48hrs constant rainfall to any tomato plant without proper drainage will split any variety. (I stand to be corrected). Mulching is a big deal in growing tomatoes and getting it right saves a lot of stress.
just remembered you have also planted a lot of varieties sir! how red was your Padma compared to the cobra, which hybrid tomato would you recommend based on only yield and redness sir?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by jidestroud(m): 10:12am On Jun 30, 2020
ideepaul:

just remembered you have also planted a lot of varieties sir! how red was your Padma compared to the cobra, which hybrid tomato would you recommend based on only yield and redness sir?

My verdict,

Padma & Cobra are almost the thing except for price difference grin. One is expensive & the other cheap but, both delivers almost same result.

My choice? I will go for Cobra, the price difference between them doesn't really give padma that exception performance. It simply boils down to East West & Technisem gaskiya undecided
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 2:25pm On Jun 30, 2020
jidestroud:

My verdict,

Padma & Cobra are almost the thing except for price difference grin. One is expensive & the other cheap but, both delivers almost same result.

My choice? I will go for Cobra, the price difference between them doesn't really give padma that exception performance. It simply boils down to East West & Technisem gaskiya undecided
The Padma are not Roma red, and in commercial quantities, are not graded as highly as the Roma type hybrids, just my observations so far though
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by hargbolahan01: 8:44pm On Jun 30, 2020
Farmerakinloye6:
my question will be, how many permanent staff do you have?do you know what is called game of number in TOMATO farming busines? For me,anyday anytime platinum!
I have a man who manages it for me but do most of his practice in local way
can you explain more on game of number in TOMATO
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by hargbolahan01: 8:53pm On Jun 30, 2020
ideepaul:

Are you in the north or south? And I hope you know what you are gunning for? worst time to cultivate tomatoes(my personal opinion) because all that can go bad will get worse. Argh 2 acres? shocked shocked at the peak of the rainy season, with an inexperienced farmer, I only pray God grants you success, but this is a risky venture sir
I'm in Oyo state.... I'm trying to do it that August cuz of the rain because I depend on rain for irrigation
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 12:58pm On Jul 01, 2020
IamAsiri:
Please how were these ridges made? Manually or mechanically?
this particular one is done manually..... tractor can also do it.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 1:20pm On Jul 01, 2020
hargbolahan01:
I have a man who manages it for me but do most of his practice in local way
can you explain more on game of number in TOMATO
okay good, if your manager knows what is doing and trustworthy. My planting date is February 15-20 because I know my produce will come out by may-july, and price by that time will be #5000-6500 per crate in akure,5500-8000 in lag, 5500-7500 in Delta and 5000-7000 in ogun. If you plant from June - October, then you will need to compete with local farmer in your state and northerners (glut). So..if you have many viable harvest fruit no matter what the price... you will make meaningful profit!

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 1:42pm On Jul 01, 2020
ideepaul:

Please can you upload the pictures of a fully ripe platinum tomato, i want to see the redness level, Padma doesn't get beyond the light red stage with majority spotting yellow colouration
it there on page 3 check it.

1 Share

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by IamAsiri: 1:51pm On Jul 01, 2020
Farmerakinloye6:
this particular one is done manually..... tractor can also do it.

Wow shocked. Ok, thanks.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 3:04pm On Jul 01, 2020
hargbolahan01:
I'm in Oyo state.... I'm trying to do it that August cuz of the rain because I depend on rain for irrigation
You will be selling your tomato during the glut season when tomato is abundant and excessive!
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 1:06pm On Jul 02, 2020
Settling irrigation system is not a big issue.... follow keenly the pix I will be uploading.. you maybe able to do it yourself.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (69) (Reply)

Practical Broiler Production, A Step By Step Tutorial With Pictures 150 birds / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.