Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,910 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:04 AM

What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? (22757 Views)

What Marriage Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? / Re: About My Elder Brother Who Does Not Care About Us / Thank You Nairaland: Finally Went To Greet My Neighbor Who Just Gave Birth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by Dollabiz: 3:32pm On Feb 24, 2020
A kid who just turned 20 abi he should face his book and flogging hasn’t stopped yet
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by BuddhaPalm(m): 3:32pm On Feb 24, 2020
deltateam:

Its not about dying but knowing your eternal destination.

There's no "destination".

We'll go the same place plants and animals go when they die.

We become one with all.

1 Like

Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by hero2000: 3:32pm On Feb 24, 2020
Brother, seek to know God.

1 Like

Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by Aaaaarghmed(m): 3:32pm On Feb 24, 2020
Forget women for now ,hustle up,learn a skill,cultivate the habits of saving.Don't mingle with friends who spend all their earnings on alcohol because one day u wud av to spend all ur earnings too.I did not cultivate the habit of saving that's why am still in Nigeria till today despite money we i don touch.

1 Like

Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by tegrianonigltd(m): 3:33pm On Feb 24, 2020
LordFriar:
Some of us just turned 20. Is there anything you wish you knew when you were 20 that you know now and would like to share?

Kindly share your mistakes made, lessons learnt and practical approaches you've employed to fare nicely in adulthood.

Never make a woman your priority. Focus on becoming great
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by frugal(m): 3:35pm On Feb 24, 2020
SweetCunt97:
So it's hopeless for those in their 30s and 40s ba
My advice was for a 20year old so they're not asking this same question when they get to that age bracket. Go and sort your life please, there's still hope for you.
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by SojiCash(m): 3:37pm On Feb 24, 2020
You people will just come here with stupid post werey ni e joo how old you self be that you come here to seek advice idiot
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by Czartega(m): 3:40pm On Feb 24, 2020
LordFriar:
Some of us just turned 20. Is there anything you wish you knew when you were 20 that you know now and would like to share?

Kindly share your mistakes made, lessons learnt and practical approaches you've employed to fare nicely in adulthood.

HUSTLE OH!!
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by nonyofor2(m): 3:44pm On Feb 24, 2020
Stop masturbating

3 Likes

Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by GiantParrot(m): 3:44pm On Feb 24, 2020
I must commend you for asking this question at this age. Most 20 year olds are so self-absorbed and have very little thought for the future. Well done. I am about 10 years older than you. Here's my little advice based on experiences that have worked for me and a few others I know:

1. Develop laser focus on anything you're doing right now. If you're getting formal education, then find time to study hard. You don't need to study all day. Just develop a study routine and be consistent with it. You need time for other things. Fun things. Don't let any person tell you that education is useless. I and several people I know have education to thank for the gains we have made in life.

2. Try your hand at business. Don't be afraid to fail. Beyond profit, there are several lessons to learn from the business world that can develop your character and network. I didn't do business when I was your age. I know a few people who did, and today, they are thankful they ventured into business when they were young.

3. It's not too early to invest. Rather than wasting money on frivolous expenses intended to impress other people, you can put spare money into building wealth. This is not the time to impress people. It's time to build yourself, to take charge of your destiny. 20 years of investing and benefitting from compound interest can give you the option to retire at 40. You can be a multimillionaire in your 30s or even 20s.

4. Develop your own personality. Become independent minded and do not fall into the trap of impressing other people. Most of the people you would be trying to impress do not even know their left from their right. Avoid celebrity culture as much as possible. Except you intend to go into showbiz, then you may have to embrace celebrity culture. But ensure you never live above your means.

5. Seek out good role models. The philosopher, Plato, noted that bad heroes give glamour to flaws of character.

6. Develop a clear, long term vision for your future, and start working towards it. Avoid naysayers as much as possible. They bring negative energy.

7. Work on your physical health. Be physically fit. Eat healthy and build a decent amount of muscle over the next few years. It's good for your overall physical and mental health, and there is this inherent bias in most people that makes them treat you better when they see you as attractive. Try to avoid becoming a jerk though.

8. Avoid alcoholism and women for now. I do not believe the average 20 year old guy even needs a girlfriend. I may be wrong. I think alcohol and women have a way of derailing focus, especially at this age. You see those fine girls that many of your mates seem to be dying for? In time, you'll see that they are no big deal. When you take time to build yourself into a high value male, you will have several hot girls to pick from. Once you indicate interest, you will get lots of female attention. Everywhere in the world, women are attracted to high value males. I'm not saying you will get every woman, but that you will not run out of options for pretty girls, and if you are inclined to spending on them, you won't even have to spend a significant percentage of your income. It will surprise many to find out that just a fraction of your passive income can take care of your woman matters if you're inclined to pursue that lifestyle. The danger here is that it becomes very easy to lose focus and forget the principles that got you where you are. If you're smart, you would seek women who can add value to your life.

Hope this helps.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by ruggedtimi(m): 3:47pm On Feb 24, 2020
Aim for a minimum 2:1 cgpa, Dont patronize prostitutes, Learn a skill ( computer skill recommended), Learn one international language, Dont allow your parents to dictate for you the course for a university degree, Dont pay your girlfriend's school fee out of pity.

3 Likes

Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by DrGud: 3:48pm On Feb 24, 2020
Is there anything you are good at, keep working on it to perfect your skill while do your normal activities. It may turn out be helpful in the future. May God bless your new age. cool
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by oodua1stson: 3:53pm On Feb 24, 2020
LordFriar:

if you're in school and you can combine learning a skill then you should go for it. You will feel rich for it
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by Noble4life(m): 3:58pm On Feb 24, 2020
internationalman:
My brother just live and enjoy your life the way it pleases you.

Some of us, if we can turn back the hands of time, we would make the same mistake again..

The mistakes we make when young are what shaped us into what we are today.
Oga I don't understand you o.... Are you advising the young man or you dey try confuse am?
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by SweetCunt97(f): 4:02pm On Feb 24, 2020
frugal:

My advice was for a 20year old so they're not asking this same question when they get to that age bracket. Go and sort your life please, there's still hope for you.
Uhm was simply asking u a question. My life doesn't need sorting out

1 Like

Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by ManuelDmotivato(m): 4:02pm On Feb 24, 2020
I am too or would you be following a 15y/o girl or what.
I don't think this is possible
Omar09:

@20, like how do y'all get them women who wants to stay with y'all?

CAPSLOCK I'm lost here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by michealoluwaseyi(m): 4:03pm On Feb 24, 2020
Hypnotise:
Learn a skill
am sure these is the last thing the guy wants to hear,he probably want to hear abuot relationship issues
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by mildflame: 4:06pm On Feb 24, 2020
MadelnNigeria:
There is no definite path to greatness in life but try your best to gain admission into University but concentrate more on learning a skill than what you are being taught in school(when you grow up you will understand my submission better)

Make sure you have a child before 25
If you can't do baby-mama, please marry before 25. I know you think you are still very young but trust me, by the time you are 30 years old you won't regret it.

As at 20years old, my friends were getting thier girlfriends pregnant, I thought I was wiser and more sensible than they were by not getting a girl pregnant.
Now I know I was foolish.

Na ur friends de burn upandan innocent suffering kids
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by clearcutz(m): 4:08pm On Feb 24, 2020
BuddhaPalm:

There's no "destination".

We'll go the same place plants and animals go when they die.

We become one with all.

cool
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by michealoluwaseyi(m): 4:12pm On Feb 24, 2020
1.start going for what u want
2.stop procastinating
3.learn a skill
4.move closer to GOD
5.always hve it at the back of ur mind that u wont stay or depend on ur parents forever

ayiiii

3 Likes

Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by Gofwane(m): 4:18pm On Feb 24, 2020
psalmuelwater:

Ha. Even me that spends 1 -2k on drinks in two weeks still dey think say dem curse me. So what you are trying to tell me is that am ok and fine, nothing is wrong with me.
grin my brother, you are very ok.
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by Guest911: 4:29pm On Feb 24, 2020
LordFriar:

Learn a skill, specifically learn computer programming skills. Strive to be independent early on. This country is hard, it will bite harder as you age.
If not for my tech skills life would've been harder for me.

The bottom line is, invest in yourself, learn vocational skills anything you can lay your hands on.

Your chances of success in this part of the world are so thin, the least you can do is set yourself up for success, increase your odds to 70% - 80%. \

Be an asset, become someone who has something to offer.

#2cents

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by arukwe123(m): 4:34pm On Feb 24, 2020
Lots and lots of condom
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by Sundaycomputer: 4:36pm On Feb 24, 2020
Come get a fine girl , play bet and win
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by goodychet: 4:55pm On Feb 24, 2020
Tell us what you have achieved or done before now. It's not enough to use age 20 to advice.
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by Starhearts: 5:03pm On Feb 24, 2020
Neva far away from Mali Kush

U will thank me later
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by abdullkabar(m): 5:09pm On Feb 24, 2020
Put God first, in between and the last.
Then take control and responsibility of your life, because heaven help those who help themselves.
And lastly, for every action you take, know that there will always be a equal and opposite reaction(have this figured out in your head, so you don't get surprised)

Live!!
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by Ucee1999: 5:25pm On Feb 24, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Go and marry

1 Like

Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by Trustme2(m): 5:28pm On Feb 24, 2020
Fear women
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by Ucee1999: 5:29pm On Feb 24, 2020
AfroZone:
Always Bleep with condom�

Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by Larryslim(m): 5:34pm On Feb 24, 2020
Gofwane:
Don't try alcohol, cigarretes, tramadol or any other form of highness. What is bothering me right now is not even the health implication but the amount of money you waste daily when you become addicted to those things just to feel 'alright'

I spent nothing less than 11k on booze from friday to sunday. Today is monday and I am left with just 2k. Funny thing is the circle keeps repeating itself.

SMH
Word!
Re: What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? by Christian07(m): 5:35pm On Feb 24, 2020
Find money rent house sharp sharp

1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Young Lady In Makurdi Declared Missing (see Photos) / How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? / Lady Cries Out As Man Makes Move To Snatch Her Late Dad’s House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.