Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:51 AM

Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers (6984 Views)

Telegram App Has Been Banned In Russia / Telegram App Now Support Free Basics On 9mobile And Airtel Networks / Whatsapp Is Dead! Telegram App Now Support Free Basics On 9mobile And Airtel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by dgitrader(m): 8:05pm On Feb 24, 2020
Once upon a great app. I wanted to use the app after about several weeks absent, but to my surprise I found myself in over 20 scam investment groups.
See for yourself.....

What a waste! I hope people are not still falling for this cheap scams.

3 Likes

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by panini(m): 8:24pm On Feb 24, 2020
Sadly it is. It is a den of scammers. Can't recommend the app anymore.

Like really, people wake up and spend the day creating profiles to scam other people, claiming some effed up investment scheme with fake bank alerts.

I don't hesitate to report them but nothing changes; the Russians who built the app don't care.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by Bigval5: 8:39pm On Feb 24, 2020
Swerz!!! Den of scammers...

1 Like

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by edoairways: 8:55pm On Feb 24, 2020
I was in those group until I left. Telegram is one of the best app I have ever use. Am in over 20 educational groups.The good thing about such groups is that I get to see old messages and files far back to when the group was created.

9 Likes

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by dgitrader(m): 9:31pm On Feb 24, 2020
edoairways:
I was in those group until I left. Telegram is one of the best app I have ever use. Am in over 20 educational groups.The good thing about such groups is that I get to see old messages and files far back to when the group was created.

I can relate. Before the crypto frenzy, telegram was a place for great education and wealth tips. But not anymore. Sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by ITbomb(m): 11:29pm On Feb 24, 2020
Telegram is preferred because it has greater control over the group as an admin

9 Likes

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by Bundaweber: 12:46am On Feb 25, 2020
you can stop yourself from being added to scam groups

17 Likes

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by Thecvbankng: 2:18am On Feb 25, 2020
Go to the app settings and scroll to privacy and security. And change who can add you to groups and channels from anyone to just your contacts.

The feature on default allows anyone to add you to any group without being on your contact list. Once you change it, that's the end.

Cheers

22 Likes

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by Sportize(m): 4:53am On Feb 25, 2020
I really liked this app then... when MMM and it's likes were still bubbling. how time flies

well... I got this amazing Canon 700 dslr for sale...
check my signature
Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by cakopa(m): 4:57am On Feb 25, 2020
I taya sef sad
Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by ybalogs(m): 6:54am On Feb 25, 2020
I Taya ooo. They just have to do something about it sharpally
Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by ybalogs(m): 6:55am On Feb 25, 2020
Thecvbankng:
Go to the app settings and scroll to privacy and security. And change who can add you to groups and channels from anyone to just your contacts.

The feature on default allows anyone to add you to any group without being on your contact list. Once you change it, that's the end.

Cheers
Way to go . Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by bolinjkezzy(m): 7:38am On Feb 25, 2020
Thecvbankng:

Cheers
This I have been using since like forever, its very easy to control who can add you to a group.

1 Like

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by falcon01: 8:08am On Feb 25, 2020
Telegram is the best, i get lots of Valuable info from there. About the scamming, it depends on the kind of group you join. Once you join one investment group you'll get added in 100 automatically

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by abumeinben(m): 8:10am On Feb 25, 2020
Lol... normal na

Still researching how they get peoples contacts....it's one of telegram's side effects.

A contact you deleted long ago would show up on telegram list once they join...

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by dgitrader(m): 8:27am On Feb 25, 2020
Thecvbankng:

Cheers

Thanks for this
Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by rexefe(m): 9:25am On Feb 25, 2020
Please, you joined the group
Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by angelfallz(m): 10:02am On Feb 25, 2020
panini:
Sadly it is. It is a den of scammers. Can't recommend the app anymore.

Like really, people wake up and spend the day creating profiles to scam other people, claiming some effed up investment scheme with fake bank alerts.

I don't hesitate to report them but nothing changes; the Russians who built the app don't care.

It is because of your settings. You can remove the ability of just nobody adding you to telegram groups.
Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by angelfallz(m): 10:08am On Feb 25, 2020
Bundaweber:
you can stop yourself from being added to scam groups
You are wrong you can.
go to menu>settings>privacy and security>groups>Who can add me to group chats
Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by atimadesign(m): 11:15am On Feb 25, 2020
Everything now have Scammers cool undecided cry what do we expect in a world of unemployed youths

1 Like

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by Josskute(m): 11:15am On Feb 25, 2020
I already stopped using the app several months ago
Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by Stillthebest: 11:30am On Feb 25, 2020
edoairways:

Pls quote me with some of those groups!
Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by Lexusgs430: 11:43am On Feb 25, 2020
dgitrader:
Once upon a great app. I wanted to use the app after about several weeks absent, but to my surprise I found myself in over 20 scam investment groups.
See for yourself.....

What a waste! I hope people are not still falling for this cheap scams.

When i get added, i run a broadcast warning others/select new joiners and warn them off.....

They very quickly delete/block me..........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by ibawon(m): 11:55am On Feb 25, 2020
Is it the App or The people creating them and those Gullible enough to join them.
If you say this then what about ICQ and WhatsApp?
Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by vezycash(m): 12:15pm On Feb 25, 2020
Mod abeg take down this post. Or re title it as how to protect your privacy on telegram.

Don't want to get extorted by Nigerian police just because I have telegram installed.

Those thieving illetrates will threaten someone to transfer money even if they don't find any proof of fraud.
Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by Dotunking01: 12:53pm On Feb 25, 2020
Hi there, Are you an individual business owner, a vendor or you run a corporate organization. Do you wish to join a platform that gives you steady event jobs as well as connects you to real clients all over Nigeria? If yes, sign up with us by filling this short form to show your interest
http:///9japarryReg

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by Olayinka777(m): 12:54pm On Feb 25, 2020
Thecvbankng:

Cheers

Thanks for this great info.
I just updated my settings .
Telegram is a hell of a place with some crazy groups that u would be wondering when u joined.

1 Like

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by Olayinka777(m): 1:00pm On Feb 25, 2020
angelfallz:

It is because of your settings. You can remove the ability of just nobody adding you to telegram groups.

There is NOBODY in the options o,just EVERYBODY & MY CONTACTS.
Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by angelfallz(m): 1:53pm On Feb 25, 2020
Olayinka777:

There is NOBODY in the options o,just EVERYBODY & MY CONTACTS.
I'm sorry I made a mistake while typing. This is what you should do.
Go to menu>settings>privacy and security>groups>

You can select only your contacts. Which means it is only your contacts that can now add you to groups.

1 Like

Re: Telegram App Is Now Haven Of Scammers by Olayinka777(m): 2:16pm On Feb 25, 2020
angelfallz:

I'm sorry I made a mistake while typing. This is what you should do.
Go to menu>settings>privacy and security>groups>

You can select only your contacts. Which means it is only your contacts that can now add you to groups.
Yes that's exactly what I did.
Thanks for admitting!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Xhamster Video Downloader Apk Latest Version For Android / Battle Of Titans: Tecno Phantom6 Plus Vs Samsung Galaxy Note7. / My Experience Using XIAOMI Device

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.