Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,384 members, 7,808,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:53 AM

NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos (41567 Views)

Tinubu: Nigerians Won’t Pay Estimated Billing For Electricity If I’m President / Estimated Billing: NERC To Sanction EKEDC, 6 Others / The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by NwekeUG(m): 2:36pm On Feb 25, 2020
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has directed the 11 electricity distribution companies (Discos) to stop further collection of electricity bill under the estimated billing system.

The suspension order signed by NERC’s Chairman, Mr. James Momoh and Commissioner, Legal, Licensing and Compliance, Mr. Dafe Akpeneye, takes effect from February 20, and has been circulated to all Discos concerned.

The copy of the directive order sighted by Daily Sun titled ‘‘Order on the Capping of Estimated Bills in the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry (NESI), repeals the methodology for estimated billion regulations 2012 and shall cease to have effect on the issuance of a new order on the same subject matter by NERC.

NERC directed further that based on the above, the estimated billing methodology is hereby repealed and shall cease to have effect as a basis for computing the consumption of unmetered customers in NESI.

‘‘Discos shall ensure that all customers on tariff class A1 in their franchise areas are properly identified and metered by 30 April 2020. While all unmetered RS and C1 customers shall not be invoiced for the consumption of energy beyond the cap stipulated in schedule 1 of this order.

All R1 customers, who by definition consume no more than 50 kilo watt hour(kWhr) of energy per month, shall continue to be billed at N4 kWhr and a maximum of N200 per month unless otherwise amended by an order of the commission.

The NERC order instructed further that the energy cap prescribed by the commission shall only apply to R2 and C1 customers, adding that all other customers on higher tariff classes must be metered by Discos no later than April 30, 2020, failing which these customers are not liable to pay any estimated bill issues by Discos

Any customer on such higher tariff classes not metered beyond April 30, 2020 shall remain connected to supply without further payment to the Disco, until a meter is installed on the premises under the framework of Meter Asset Provider (MAP) regulations or any other financing arrangement approved by the commission.

Customers whose current estimated bills are lower than the prescribed energy cap shall remain so without any upward adjustment until a meter is installed by the Disco under the MAP regulation or any other initiative approved by the commission.

However, it warned that any customer that rejects the installation of a meter on their premises by a Disco shall not be entitled to supply and must be disconnected by the Disco, and shall only be reconnected to the network with the installation of a meter.

Meanwhile, ahead of the April target for the likely introduction of new electricity tariffs, NERC said it will, begin a nationwide consultations with stakeholders.

According to a notice by Momoh, the consultations will hold from February 25 to March 11 in 12 locations nationwide.

He said the NERC has received Extraordinary Tariff Review Applications from the eleven (11) Electricity Distribution Companies (DisCos) and the Transmission Company of Nigeria Plc (TCN).

He said the consultations will hold as follows: Eko Electricity DISCO (February 25); Kaduna (February 25); Abuja (February 26); Ikeja (February 26); and Ibadan, (February 28).

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/nerc-abolishes-estimated-billing-by-discos/

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by helinues: 2:40pm On Feb 25, 2020
Good one. Hope it will take effect immediately

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by roundman: 2:43pm On Feb 25, 2020
The best news i have heard today.

122 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by oz4real83(m): 2:45pm On Feb 25, 2020
Amen oooo

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by neolboy(m): 2:47pm On Feb 25, 2020
Forget about this shit. how on earth are a country be assuming electricity consumption without meter. Please help me tell BEDC Akure chapter to share their prepaid meter because my mum is bitterly complaining of the huge estimate billing.

BEDC please share the freaking prepaid meter in Akure for God's sake

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by citygarden(m): 2:48pm On Feb 25, 2020
I don't believe in them. If so, the best news for the month. But if otherwise, hmmmmmm

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by JustinOwen(m): 2:48pm On Feb 25, 2020
I just hope this will take effect immediately. Those guys wan murder people with their estimated nonsense.

Meanwhile, if you'd like to learn internet marketing or looking for a side hustle, there's a link in my signature that

could be of help to you. The same has helped me to solve my financial troubles. Just copy the link in my signature and paste in your browser. Good luck.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by daddytime(m): 2:48pm On Feb 25, 2020
Na today?

Let's see how it goes...

3 Likes

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by sapientia(m): 2:50pm On Feb 25, 2020
This people are actually the problem.

They just muddle everything up.

Giving orders that cannot be implemented in this auto pilot government.

This is just like that Lagos Police Woman that will always come out and tell people not to give phone to police to search but wont be there to stop them from killing Kaka.

When it was PHCN, it was messed but their staff were not as arrogant as it has been under this privatization especially if you dont have prepaid.

They dont even know about this.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by Bakerdav: 2:51pm On Feb 25, 2020
neolboy:
Forget about this let them share prepaid meter
yes o, let them give everyone prepaid meter

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by marz007(m): 2:55pm On Feb 25, 2020
I pray it comes to fruition.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by Centcanada: 2:55pm On Feb 25, 2020
Okey. Note!
Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by sonsomegrigbo: 2:55pm On Feb 25, 2020
It's not enough to cancel,

They should also cancel all unsettlable ones they have billed us.,

Imagine having 100k plus on a bill in a rural area!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by Architectben34(m): 2:56pm On Feb 25, 2020
I pray this will take effects p

2 Likes

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by ForeThinker: 2:56pm On Feb 25, 2020
Issorite...

Can we now start afresh ?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 25, 2020
It is easier said than done. When Fashola was minister for power, he said something similar but the Nigerian government hardly enforces laws and at the end of the day, the citizens would be blamed when things get out of hand.

Let's hope this won't cause another round of problems between customers and discos. Instablog9ja would have a lot of ''gbas gbos'' news between customers and disco agents when they come for their monthly estimated bills...

5 Likes

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by Ghost7: 2:57pm On Feb 25, 2020
Good. Hope it will actually be enforced.
Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by Digriz(m): 2:57pm On Feb 25, 2020
Not gonna work
Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by bigt2(m): 2:57pm On Feb 25, 2020
That's good. I wonder how they draw conclusions on how much electricity you have used.
I just wish it is not bastardized and won't be corrupted sad

2 Likes

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by TGM2015: 2:57pm On Feb 25, 2020
Good news to me and my whole estate. I think someone sent the softcopy of instruction to me earlier today.

I just need to get to study the document and know how best to deal with to PHCN guys.

8 Likes

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by ashawopikin(m): 2:57pm On Feb 25, 2020
Na so dem dey talk o, na today

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by okomile(f): 2:57pm On Feb 25, 2020
Audio

Let the meter go round first!

1 Like

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by Josskute(m): 2:58pm On Feb 25, 2020
Very welcome idea
Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by YorubaKinging: 2:58pm On Feb 25, 2020
Scam
Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by Miracle4Sure: 2:58pm On Feb 25, 2020
Good
Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by Staro: 2:58pm On Feb 25, 2020

Buhari is a scam

Believe this news and you'll
believe anything

1 Like

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by Risingblue008(m): 2:59pm On Feb 25, 2020
I pray it comes try,
Beside,,,, its Nigeria still working, cos paddy paddy don spoil our system finish
Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by RedBororo(m): 2:59pm On Feb 25, 2020
Story, come and implement now! Which meter
Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by Mindlog: 2:59pm On Feb 25, 2020
They make fortunes from estimated billing.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by Nobody: 2:59pm On Feb 25, 2020
lipsrsealed

ReaLLy?¿ or their WireLeSs audio miCrofone don spOiL

Re: NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos by ignis: 2:59pm On Feb 25, 2020
Good news

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

List Of Nigeria's Chief Of Army Staff Since 1999 / Atiku Borrows Ex-president Goodluck Jonathan’s Statement At Peace Accord / Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.