Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,824 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 (39037 Views)

Discos Make N1tn Amid Grid Crisis, Unmetered Customers Hit 5.8m / NERC Fines 11 DISCOs N10.5bn Over Overbilling Of Unmetered Customers / FG Withdraws Power Of Attorney For 40% Shares In Discos From BPE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by edoairways: 8:44pm On Feb 26, 2020
shadeyinka:

That will not be correct because the DISCOs will never sell below cost price and moreover, if only they used the prepaid meters, they will have less overhead in terms of salary payment
Are you sure because their chairman of those discos complained bitterly
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by Nobody: 9:02pm On Feb 26, 2020
RedBororo:
I stay in a two bedroom flat I have zero the use of my A C and I spent 6500 Naira on recharge on my meter monthly something is higher if light too Dey, Abeg I no want to by pass, but is crazily high
Your meter has some outstanding charges or you're not telling the truth.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by shadeyinka(m): 9:26pm On Feb 26, 2020
edoairways:

Are you sure because their chairman of those discos complained bitterly
Very very sure.
The DISCOs buy certain number of units from the GENCOS at a certain price and they need to sell it to consumers at a marked up price.

The problem is that the DISCOS will like to make 800% profit if possible and hence they use every possible trick in the book to do it.

One of the tricks is to do estimated billing where a customer pays like 600-800% of the consumed energy units. Or encouraging consumers to continue to use analogue meter because those meters can be adjusted to read up to 300-500% the normal consumption. Or to reject electricity supply from the GENCOS to maximize their demand-supply curve.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by ajebuter(f): 9:26pm On Feb 26, 2020
adanny01:

A1 Schools, Churches and Mosques
A2 Medium size barracks
A3 Large barracks,large agric processing companies
C1 Small businesses e.g small barbing and hair dressing saloons
C2 Hotels, banks
C3 large supermarkets, hypermarkets
D1 Small industries e.g welders,pure water companies
D2 Large scale industrials, Metal companies
D3 Oil companies, large construction companies
R1 Customers with consumption below 50 kilowatt
R2 Customers with consumption above50 kilowatt
R3 Small estate, government houses
S1 Street lights

R2S - 'S' stands for Single phase
R2T - 'T' stands for Triple phase

Yes all figures are kwh.

Thank you dude..

This is very educative.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 9:34pm On Feb 26, 2020
blank:
This is interesting. First of all, the N1,800 written there is false. It depends on your disco and your Business Unit. The N1,800 is for rural customers (those on R1 tariff).

[b]Will NERC also ask the transmission company to cap the power provided? [/b]Or the discos will do it arbitrarily and cap the power they recieve under so called load shedding? Time will tell. What of the fraudulent meters that some Nigerians are manufacturing? Who will bear the loss?

You are right, not everyone gets to pay N1,800.

That was the reason I followed up with the order of NERC for each specific business district.

Those on R1 are to pay N4/kwh to a cap of N200.

Answer to the bolded, NO.

There is a reason to why NERC did that and as a disgruntled customer myself, I am very very happy about the order. Before NERC made this order, there were thousands of complaints on unrealistic estimation by Discos and also their complete lack of interest to meter their customers. Dateline for metering was shift several times but no progress from discos.

The meter distribution failure have been intentionally frustrated by the Discos because they know overestimation of customers covers energy theft and several other factors affecting their revenue.

Overestimation is transferring the burden of Discos to the loyal customer which is very wrong. Among some excuses of the Discos is inaccessible compounds with dogs and locked gates. This order settles that part. The order specifically says they should install meters in those compounds and if they are prevented access to such compounds in any way, they should disconnect the customer until a meter is installed. In the mean time, over billing is prohibited.

They also spelled out the method they used in finding the average which they used in getting the rates for the fixed unmetered rates. Mind you, there are enough meters on ground but Discos have been holding the up for the benefit if estimated billing.

Download the order in PDF from the link
https://powerlibrary.nigeriaelectricityhub.com/index.php/2020/02/25/order-on-the-capping-of-estimated-bills-in-the-nigerian-electricity-supply-industry/?fbclid=IwAR3tTVsyUk44-XfVCgwhb-1vdR1xLaYQdQHbNkoRqnFNeujQsF23acoVl4s
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by Xclusiveme: 9:35pm On Feb 26, 2020
Pls o, is the metre free or are we to buy it
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by edoairways: 9:36pm On Feb 26, 2020
shadeyinka:

Very very sure.
The DISCOs buy certain number of units from the GENCOS at a certain price and they need to sell it to consumers at a marked up price.

The problem is that the DISCOS will like to make 800% profit if possible and hence they use every possible trick in the book to do it.

One of the tricks is to do estimated billing where a customer pays like 600-800% of the consumed energy units. Or encouraging consumers to continue to use analogue meter because those meters can be adjusted to read up to 300-500% the normal consumption. Or to reject electricity supply from the GENCOS to maximize their demand-supply curve.
Hmmmm! I just hope they implement this policy as soon as possible because those discos are wicked
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 9:49pm On Feb 26, 2020
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 9:54pm On Feb 26, 2020
AmazingELixir:

What do you mean by innocent consumers.....your likes that carry cutlass to chase away the disco technicians when they come to disconnect you for default.

I have made my point...the discos should be left alone to make their profits the way they deem fit...if you don't like it switch to renewable energy or gaan buy yourself a lister.

Your suggestion is the height of irresponsibility.

If I as a customer didn't bypass meter, should I pay 3 times my power consumption because my neighbor bypassed his meter and didn't pay.

It is disco's responsibility to catch my neighbor not pass his bill to me.

Dont forget, when my house was built, I had to buy 5 poles, wires and accessories to bring electricity to my house. A year later, our transformer got burnt, after spending 6months without electricity, we finally contributed money in millions to buy a new one and had to pay their staff 300k to come and install it.

Then you come here and say this rubbish.

3 Likes

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by shadeyinka(m): 9:54pm On Feb 26, 2020
edoairways:

Hmmmm! I just hope they implement this policy as soon as possible because those discos are wicked
I hope so too. The government should have done this year's ago.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by joinnow: 9:59pm On Feb 26, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:

prepaid
you should learn and relearn how to manage energy then.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 10:00pm On Feb 26, 2020
xanie:
This headline is misleading. The 1800 naira is for customers who consume less than 50kwh and are on the R1 tariff. The R1 tariff is for very low income households.

Now to the issue of capping power use, it means that, for instance a residential customer in Shomolu Business Undertaking will be billed 321Kwh at the end of the month of he uses a 3phase 4 wire connection. The bill will this be 321*21.80 = 6997.80 +7.5% VAT = 7522.64.
NB. Cost of tariff in Ikeja Electric for R2T is 21.80 and it differs from one Disco to another.

I think NERC is trying to force the hands of the disco to meter asap. Newsflash, one Disco conducted a POC to meter all customers on its 11KV feeder and the Substation DTRs. At the end of the day, revenue did not improve owing to technical losses which would require heavy investments over a long time.

Discos are in for it.

R1 are to pay N4/kwh and capped at N200 per customer.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by ajebuter(f): 10:02pm On Feb 26, 2020
Toks2008:
N1800 sef too much in some areas.

Bros..lf they bill me 1800, l go pay for a whole year compared to what they bill me monthly for 4 bedroom apartment ..
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 10:09pm On Feb 26, 2020
petitejolie:
Its not just about sitting in Abuja and making orders. Who will see that discos Adhere to this order. How do we d consumers report disco wen they act contrary

There is a procedure for that. Alot of people passed through the procedure and got the attention of NERC thats why they took this step.

Go to NERC website, you will see the procedure. Sometimes, the even force discos to pay back.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 10:12pm On Feb 26, 2020
REMMEI:
Did anyone knows the NERC email and website I need to log a complaint to them.. I have been paying 20,000 naira for the past 4 months.. and the prepaid meter applied for hasn't been delivered yet.. I'm only living in a room and parlour self contain.

These people are really dancing disco on my head.

You cant go to them straight. You have to write your complain to the disco and after 15days if no reply, you write to the state NERC office, if no result, then proceed to NERC HQ.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by ajebuter(f): 10:12pm On Feb 26, 2020
xanie:
This headline is misleading. The 1800 naira is for customers who consume less than 50kwh and are on the R1 tariff. The R1 tariff is for very low income households.

Now to the issue of capping power use, it means that, for instance a residential customer in Shomolu Business Undertaking will be billed 321Kwh at the end of the month of he uses a 3phase 4 wire connection. The bill will this be 321*21.80 = 6997.80 +7.5% VAT = 7522.64.
NB. Cost of tariff in Ikeja Electric for R2T is 21.80 and it differs from one Disco to another.

I think NERC is trying to force the hands of the disco to meter asap. Newsflash, one Disco conducted a POC to meter all customers on its 11KV feeder and the Substation DTRs. At the end of the day, revenue did not improve owing to technical losses which would require heavy investments over a long time.

Discos are in for it.

Bros, I'm glad you broke it down for us novice and I'm super glad you cited somolu as example since it is my place of residence..

Even though l don't use commercial , if they billl me 7800 you mentioned above, l will gladly pay compared to 25k they routinely bring..

1 Like

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by ajebuter(f): 10:20pm On Feb 26, 2020
ikorodureporta:

Those NEPA guys are really madt. Only if newspapers wld publicize these rates for everyone to be enlightened, & push for a change.

Last month, my bill was 370kw... Ikorodu for that matter. Most houses here are occupied by less than 4 people, but our bill was more than 8k each

Lagosians need to fight for this o!

Last year our bill was around 5k, ...now they are even negotiating on how to increase that 8k by 50%

I already contacted Segalink on Twitter to move it for debate..

I say we trend it on Social media..

What do you think?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by uwa244(m): 10:29pm On Feb 26, 2020
Will this directive be implemented to the letter? Thats the issue.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by olaolaking: 10:58pm On Feb 26, 2020
oz4real83:
Will customers also pay the N1,800 any month there wasn't electricity? I don't know what is so difficult with forcing discos to give prepaid meters. If there are no meters, don't bill anything. Let the discos be at loss with their inability to provide prepaid meters.
I don't know why you are still complaining. If there is no meter and you don't pay because of that. I hope you know that they have right to disconnect you and you will be told to wait till they bring meter before you use power
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by choicesam(m): 11:20pm On Feb 26, 2020
adanny01:

It remains depending on a lot of factors.

A substation always has sophisticated equipment to trip off automatically when there is lightening. Secondly, substation operators have operating manuals and instruments that guide them in deciding when to switch off due to wind, temperature and other things if the system doesn't.

Most times, we see light trips off a miliseconds before lightening strikes or when rain turns to a windstorm.

Windstorm usually causes overhead wires to short circuit leading to failures.

In general, we get more electriicity during rain season. I assume due to lower transformer and cable temperatures.
I love your analysis...by the way are you an electrical engineer?
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by Prophet777: 11:24pm On Feb 26, 2020
Ikeja Electric is billing me N16, 800 every month in a room and parlour self contain... I have made several complaints but all to no avail...

It shall not be well with them all... very painful
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by TruthinAction: 11:26pm On Feb 26, 2020
GamalNasser:

What has Buhari got to do with this ..let's thank the new minister who is committed to removing the Fashola rot

Just my thought. Maybe he is a paid supporter of a failed leader.

1 Like

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by LionTiger(m): 11:38pm On Feb 26, 2020
Offpoint:
It's called "Moonwalk" not "Backslide"
Moonwalking....

You're welcome.
Moonwalk in this country?
Tàà! Shiga!!
get the message right.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by sben2308(m): 11:49pm On Feb 26, 2020
sochima1989:
Kindly download the FCCPC app to make you complain and you can also follow us on Instagram @customersplaceng to follow up your complain

Believe me I will and will also do as u av said .thanks a million
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by sben2308(m): 11:49pm On Feb 26, 2020
Amumaigwe:

Report to Buhari AKA Mai Changi.

Hahahahaha nice one got me laffing
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by sben2308(m): 11:51pm On Feb 26, 2020
Stillthebest:

Their policy is that you must clear yoht current charges and bills then if you own previously , u must at least add some from the previous outstanding to the current charges you are paying.

Haaa for whr I won raise that one ,believe their bill keep increasing like one runs a factory in his house.
I started with 3800 monthly o then 6k ,like flash to 13-15k monthly .Its killing believe me and most painful is still no light
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by sben2308(m): 11:52pm On Feb 26, 2020
GreatestA1:
First and foremost, write a letter to the Customer Care Unit of your Disco and copy NERC Forum office in your state. Ensure the letter is acknowledged at the point of submitting it.

Then, wait for 15 working days from the day you wrote to your Disco. After 15 working days, write to the Chairman of the NERC Forum office(Forum) in your state. Attach a copy of the letter you wrote to your Disco, photocopies of your bills and make 8 hard copies. Then, take it to the Forum and submit. They will take further actions.

Am doing this also I swear

1 Like

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by sben2308(m): 11:53pm On Feb 26, 2020
DaRuud:
I have the same problem too ,

I paid #12,000 out of #14,000 those wicked guys still yank off my light

I have patiently applied for prepaid meter .

Thunder go fire some people

Believe me I feel ur pain ,sometimes it's like this guys have no human feeling honestly
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by fineboynl(m): 1:02am On Feb 27, 2020
RedBororo:
I stay in a two bedroom flat I have zero the use of my A C and I spent 6500 Naira on recharge on my meter monthly something is higher if light too Dey, Abeg I no want to by pass, but is crazily high
can you list the bulbs are electronics you use?
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by Awaoyelmoni(m): 1:27am On Feb 27, 2020
Since Buhari came into power a great number of things formerly done with great secrecy by pdp govt has now been laid bare,I now have a birds eye view into workings of govt.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

INEC To Tribunal: Obi's Petition Is Abusive, Incompetent And Should Be Dismissed / Aroms Aigbehi On Jide Tinubu's Death & Alex Ekwueme's Coma / Aregbesola Hugs And Welcomes Tinubu To Osun Ahead Of APC Flag Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.