Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,694 members, 7,802,032 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:14 AM

Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate (50356 Views)

Tinubu Renames Airports After Buhari, Usman Dan Fodio, Awolowo, Others / Give Us RUGA : Students Of Usman Dan Fodio University Sokoto(UDUS) Stage Protest / Gov. Tambuwal receives body of Ex-president Shehu Shagari at the Sokoto Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by Blue3k2: 5:28pm On Feb 26, 2020
He was a religious teacher who became the leader of a revolution: Usman dan Fodio, respectfully referred to as Sheikh, criticized the elites and changed the political system in present-day northern Nigeria.

What was Usman dan Fodio's background?

Usman dan Fodio was born on December 15, 1754 in the village of Maratta, in the Hausa-speaking city state of Gobir, in what is today northern Nigeria. He studied law, theology and philosophy in Agadez (in what is today Niger Republic) under Islamic scholar Jibril Ibn Umar. Because of his religious knowledge and authority, he later came to be referred to respectfully as Sheikh Usman.

How come Usman dan Fodio opposed the ruling system?

After completing his studies, he went back to Gobir and began to preach Islam to the people, who at that time mixed paganism with Islam. His popularity grew in Gobir and got to a stage where the then King of Gobir, Rimfa, saw Usman dan Fodio as a threat and attempted to assassinate him. Usman escaped and started moving among rural communities preaching, teaching and writing.

In the year 1803, Sheikh Usman and hundreds of his followers migrated to Gudu where he continued to propagate Islam. While at Gudu, Usman dan Fodio declared a holy war (jihad) against King Yunfa of Gobir (Rimfa's son and successor) and his people as he felt their way of life did not correspond with the teaching of Islam.

How did Usman dan Fodio establish the Sokoto Caliphate?

The declaration of the holy war spread across the Hausaland and many people volunteered to join his army. In 1804, he formally declared a holy war on the whole of Hausaland. In 1808, Usman and his followers conquered Gobir, Kano, and other Hausa city-states. He retired from battle in 1811 and returned to teaching and writing but his armies continued their conquests until 1815.

This religious revolution united the Hausa states under Islamic law, and in 1812, led to the establishment of an empire called the Sokoto Caliphate, composed of emirates and sub-emirates, many of which were built on the sites of previous Hausa states. The Sokoto Caliphate became the most powerful economic and political system of the region during the 19th century, and contributed profoundly to the Islamization of Northern Nigeria.

How important was the caliphate founded by Usman dan Fodio?

His Islamic religious empire included most of what is now northern Nigeria and parts of Niger as well as northern Cameroon. The holy war inspired a series of holy wars throughout West Africa at the time and Islam became the dominant faith among the people of West Africa.

In 1837, the Sokoto Caliphate, with an estimated population of over 20 million people, had become the most populous empire in West Africa. 

Sheikh Usman dan Fodio died on April 20, 1817 in Sokoto.

Scientific advice on this article was provided by historians Professor Doulaye Konaté, Lily Mafela, Ph.D., and Professor Christopher Ogbogbo. African Roots is supported by the Gerda Henkel Foundation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=351nkAshk9Q

https://www.dw.com/en/usman-dan-fodio-founder-of-the-sokoto-caliphate/a-51995841

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by Blue3k2: 5:48pm On Feb 26, 2020
He's a pretty interesting historical figure. He's similar to other men like Muhammad and Genghis Khan. He similarities to khan is his belief in education and learning. Danfodio didnt neglect to teach the women. He unsurprisingly has alot islamic scholary writing credited to him.

It odd how education went downhill in northern Nigeria. I'd like to read a smart scholarly article about that subject. There's videos on rise and decline of science in Islam. It's an hour long though.

I'd like to see a history vs. Dan fodio by Ted ed. If you get the chance check out the one on Geghis Khan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq-Wk3YqeH4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60JboffOhaw

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by JosEast(m): 5:56pm On Feb 26, 2020
undecided
Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by Bialegend(m): 6:00pm On Feb 26, 2020
Hand and head cutter.

106 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by Blue3k2: 6:19pm On Feb 26, 2020
The declaration of the holy war spread across the Hausaland and many people volunteered to join his army. In 1804, he formally declared a holy war on the whole of Hausaland.

DW did afair job representing him. Another YouTuber made an intestate video on rise and fall of sokoto caliphate. It can be argued Danfodio was pushed into war since Yunfa struck first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKpUzuvEiMA

Additional reading: A History of Nigeria. Toyin Falola

History of West Africa Vol 1 ed. Ade Ajayi & Michael Crowder

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by itsme01: 6:30pm On Feb 26, 2020
his short lived empire was taken over by the british empire but people never left his teaching

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by Blue3k2: 6:37pm On Feb 26, 2020
itsme01:
his short lived empire was taken over by the british empire but people never left his teaching

They did if you cosider his legacy in education. They definitely failed to expact on it. His empire wasnt very stable to begin with. It probably would have fractured without British influence.

Dan Fodio had special interest in providing education for women in the area where he became the leader of the government known as the Sokoto Empire, which eventually stretched from the contemporary areas of Niger to Burkina Faso. All 12 of his children inherited his knowledge and became Islamic scholars, including his two daughters. It is recorded that his classes on tafsir, hadith, fiqh and Islamic spirituality were held every day between al-‘Asr and al-‘Isha’a prayer times. He delivered lectures every night of Jumu’ah that were filled with his students of both men and women. His assemblies were always kept available for women to come for studies or to ask specific questions on fiqh.

https://almadinainstitute.org/blog/uthman-dan-fodio-one-of-the-shining-stars-of-west-africa1/?gclid=CjwKCAiAy9jyBRA6EiwAeclQhHSdm_-YSO_Paqn44l3-gNKgVVK45v8VtzmpdpTtdKKCUu-X6yMBABoC2IkQAvD_BwE

1 Like

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by itsme01: 6:40pm On Feb 26, 2020
Blue3k2:

They did if you cosider his legacy in education. They definitely failed to expact on it. His empire wasnt very stable to begin with. It probably would have fractured without British influence.

he made sure his conquered territories and that of his disciples maintain their culture and language, human sacrifice was largely stopped and slave trade reduced to criminals, his education also opened up a better chapter for northerners in the trans Sahara trade as more northerners could read Arabic and negotiate better

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by MetaPhysical: 6:44pm On Feb 26, 2020
Usman dan fodio and Shekau are in same league.

Those who wage a pretentious war of holiness to kidnap, rape and and pilfer.

193 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by Blue3k2: 6:45pm On Feb 26, 2020
itsme01:

he made sure his conquered territories and that of his disciples maintain their culture and language, human sacrifice was largely stopped and slave trade reduced to criminals, his education also opened up a better chapter for northerners in the trans Sahara trade as more northerners could read Arabic and negotiate better

I give him credit but disagree they kept his legacy in terms of education like I stated. If you look his work amongst women and educating children. Fact is education went downhill after his short rule.

2 Likes

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by itsme01: 6:49pm On Feb 26, 2020
Blue3k2:

I give him credit but disagree they kept gis legacy in terms of education like I stated. If you look his work amongst women and educating children. Fact is education went downhill after his short rule.

unfortunately the british returned most of the emirate back to their previous rulers, and that was the beginning of the end of education in the north, they now fully understand the potency of education, and limited them to just studying quran and hadith , neglecting all other Arabic books on science astronomy and aritmetics

12 Likes

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by itsme01: 6:52pm On Feb 26, 2020
MetaPhysical:

in that case king Solomon and king David are on this team and league, same as king Cesar, Queen Victoria, Alafin of Oyo, Awujale , Lagelu of Ibadan and his warriors, Kosoko of Eko

Atleast Dan Fodio and his men mostly commited palace coup, and avoided full blown war the above listed people fought war for the spoils and gains of war killing and maiming whoever was on their way, some even claim their God had promised other peoples ancestorial land to them

Hypocrisy is calling one terrorist and the other Colonialist or Prophet of God

28 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by eagleu: 6:52pm On Feb 26, 2020
OP, you forgot to tell us that Mohammed Rumfa, the zakin Gobir welcomed Fodio to his court and kept him as adviser for so many years, until Fodio himself wanted to succeed the king, and then fell out with his son. His reason for attacking the Hausa palace was because the people practiced "impure" islam, much like the ISWAP and BK today.
Nigeria will never advance until the real history of the atrocities of Fodio is appreciated, and corrected.

110 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by Blue3k2: 6:57pm On Feb 26, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Lol your comment is empty sloganeering. Can you explain why it was wrong for Dan Fodio to go to war against Yunfa when he tried to assassinate him over proposed religious reforms? History isn't good bad guy comic book.

eagleu:
OP, you forgot to tell us that Mohammed Rumfa, the zakin Gobir welcomed Fodio to his court and kept him as adviser for so many years, until Fodio himself wanted to succeed the king, and then fell out with his son. His reason for attacking the Hausa palace was because the people practiced "impure" islam, much like the ISWAP and BK today.
Nigeria will never advance until the real history of the atrocities of Fodio is appreciated, and corrected.

Dan Fodio want to succeed the king? I read the king of Gobir was behaving like tyrant attacking his followers. They eventually took up arms against the state after he declared war first. Th ef Hausa kingdoms just lost to the better military. I dont think people think he's perfect but you're free to shine light on his short comings. Every historical figure has them.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by Jimi24: 7:26pm On Feb 26, 2020
Blue3k2:
He's a pretty interesting historical figure. He's similar to other men like Muhammad and Genghis Khan. He similarities to khan is his belief in education and learning. Danfodio didnt neglect to teach the women. He unsurprisingly has alot islamic scholary writing credit to him.

It odd how education went downhill in northern Nigeria. I'd like to read a smart scholarly article about that subject. There's videos on rise and decline of science in Islam. It's an hour long though.

I'd like to see a history vs. Dan fodio by Ted ed. If you get the chance check out the on Geghis Khan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq-Wk3YqeH4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60JboffOhaw

You are completely wrong my friend. You are romanticizing. Dan Fodio was not a moving, romantic figure. He was an idealistic. An Islamic purist. He built a caliphate not by design or deliberate self aggrandizenent but out of idealism and ideology.
I fund that most Nigerian are shallow and materialistic so they find it difficult to understand idealistic motivations.
If Dan Fodio had been more self motivated he wont have inspired Hausas to overthrow their kings and get please get it right that the Jihad was by mostly Hausas not Fulani

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by Blue3k2: 7:38pm On Feb 26, 2020
Jimi24:

You are completely wrong my friend. You are romanticizing. Dan Fodio was not a moving, romantic figure. He was an idealistic. An Islamic purist. He built a caliphate not by design or deliberate self aggrandizenent but out of idealism and ideology.
I fund that most Nigerian are shallow and materialistic so they find it difficult to understand idealistic motivations.
If Dan Fodio had been more self motivated he wont have inspired Hausas to overthrow their kings and get please get it right that the Jihad was by mostly Hausas not Fulani

How am I romanticizing him by saying he's an interesting historical figure? I guve him credit for good and bad he did. I already noted his empire was unstable hence why it only lasted a few years his death. He was religiously motivated hence why he operated the way he did.

1 Like

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by thundafire: 8:01pm On Feb 26, 2020
Founding fathers of dey trouble in Nigeria

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by Bialegend(m): 8:14pm On Feb 26, 2020
Blue3k2:

Lol your comment is empty sloganeering. Can you explain why it was wrong for Dan Fodio to go to war against Yunfa when he tried to assassinate him over proposed religious reforms? History isn't good bad guy comic book.

Dan Fodio want to succeed the king? I read the king of Gobir was behaving like tyrant attacking his followers. They eventually took up arms against the state after he declared war first. Th ef Hausa kingdoms just lost to the better military. I dont think people think he's perfect but you're free to shine light on his short comings. Every historical figure has them.

Who told your jihadists danfodio to propose religious reforms for hausa people? Where did he get permission for that?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by helinues: 8:22pm On Feb 26, 2020
Past threats to humanity..

He imposed and forcefully grabbed so many lands.. Well, Christians started the madness sha

3 Likes

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by Blue3k2: 8:48pm On Feb 26, 2020
Bialegend:

Who told your jihadists danfodio to propose religious reforms for hausa people? Where did he get permission for that?

Lol your comment senselessly defends religious persecution. Do you think Dan Fodio had zero hausa followers. He was the advisor of the hausa king teaching his version of Islam. The conflicts didnt start till they tried to silence his religious expressions with an assassination attempt. Grow up history isn't this good guy bad guy narrative like your comic books.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by StaffofOrayan(m): 9:04pm On Feb 26, 2020
You can only hoodwink people that are not conversant with history.
People don't change that is a fact, the Fulanis of 200 years are the same as today, barbaric and power hungry, beast of no nation, ready to sacrifice a whole people just to install an emir.

The Fulanis are a parasite, show me any country they are prevalent and I would should you conflict and bloodshed with their neighbors and hosts.

That's an assignment for you.

Blue3k2:

Lol your comment senselessly defends religious persecution. Do you think Dan Fodio had zero hausa followers. He was the advisor of the hausa king teaching his version of Islam. The conflicts didnt start till they tried to silence his religious expressions with an assassination attempt. Grow up history isn't this good guy bad guy narrative like your comic books.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by MetaPhysical: 9:06pm On Feb 26, 2020
StaffofOrayan:
People don't change that is a fact, the Fulanis of 200 years are the same as today, barbaric and power hungry, beast of no nation, ready to sacrifice a whole people just to install an emir.

The Fulanis are a parasite, show me any country they are prevalent and I would should you conflict and bloodshed with their neighbors and hosts.

Beast of no nation....Egbekegbe! grin

I love your response.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by Blue3k2: 9:10pm On Feb 26, 2020
StaffofOrayan:

Lol you clowns have shift the goal post when you cant win a debate. The hausa king Yunfa declared war first and lost. That beating leaves weirdos like yourself sore centuries later. I never claimed he was a saint but he's not the devil either because he conquered lands like the other empires did around him.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by StaffofOrayan(m): 9:19pm On Feb 26, 2020
You are the clown here
And it's obvious you don't read, if you did you would have better understanding and discernment. He was the devil and his serpent seed is still plaguing the contraption called Nigeria.
I don't even know where to start lecturing you from, do you know the empires of the Negros before the Fulanis arrived? Every idiot that was unfortunate enough to invite them soon loses his throne and way of life.
Do you know who sold negros during the slave trade?
A lot of you are starved of knowledge.

I guess this is another instance of 'Abacha never stole'?

Blue3k2:

Lol you clowns have shift the goal post when you cant win a debate. The hausa king Yunfa declared war first and lost. That beating leaves weirdos like yourself sore centuries later. I never claimed he was a saint but he's not the devil either because he conquered lands like the other empires did around him.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by MetaPhysical: 9:23pm On Feb 26, 2020
Bialegend:

Dem go say Allah whisper to him. grin

Why Allah no whisper to you or me? grin grin

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by Blue3k2: 9:34pm On Feb 26, 2020
[s]
StaffofOrayan:
You are the clown here
And it's obvious you don't read, if you did you would have better understanding and discernment. He was the devil and his serpent seed is still plaguing the contraption called Nigeria.
I don't even know where to start lecturing you from, do you know the empires of the Negros before the Fulanis arrived? Every idiot that was unfortunate enough to invite them soon loses his throne and way of life.
Do you know who sold negros during the slave trade?
A lot of you are starved of knowledge.

I guess this is another instance of 'Abacha never stole'?

[/s]

Lol this Dan dodio really beat your bad. Your descendants will be reeling in pain and emotional distress like yourself. Lol dan fodio is the devil because he couldn't be defeated or are you just weak? The British beat him no issue. Fact is the hausa king started the fight by trying to assassinate him. He was able to gain support becsuse the hausa states were oppressive in regards to taxation and their own religious zealotry. There's no good guy just bunch people fighting.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by MetaPhysical: 9:43pm On Feb 26, 2020
Blue3k2:

Fodio is in same class as Shekau.

Fodio had a jihad flag
Shekau has a jihad flag

Fodio said he had the true islam
Shekau said he has the true islam

Fodio wanted to create a caliphate
Shekau wants a caliphate

Fodio toppled Hausa State rulers
Shekau has promised to sack rulers

Fodio raided towns & kidnapped
Shekau has raided & kidnapped

Fodio turned kidnapping to enterprise
Shakau collects ransom on victims

....there is too much parallel between the two terrorists. grin

Shekau is a reincarnate of fodio

83 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Usman Dan Fodio: Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate by StaffofOrayan(m): 9:50pm On Feb 26, 2020
Oh I see, where is the prosperity and fairness dan fodio promised the dummies he conquered? I have tried finding it but all I see is poverty, disease and perpetual slavery,
Yes he really beat the Hausa's bad, infact so bad their children are shoemakers, mei suya, mei shayi, they have killed their way into being the spiritual head of muslims, another set of dummies who don't research.

Dan fodio is a typical fulani man, like Buhari, they would kill and maim to get to power, (using useful dummies like yourself) once they get power all they do is install themselves like a virus on a computer and destroy what they met, I call it the 'emir Trojan'

Nothing to celebrate, but of course Hitler is a bigass hero to some skinheads

Blue3k2:
[s][/s]

Lol this Dan dodio really beat your bad. Your descendants will be reeling in pain and emotional distress like yourself. Lol dan fodio is the devil because he couldn't be defeated or are you just weak? The British beat him no issue. Fact is the hausa king started the fight by trying to assassinate him. He was able to gain support becsuse the hausa states were oppressive in regards to taxation and their own religious zealotry. There's no good guy just bunch people fighting.

49 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Yoruba Nation Protesters Were Dispossessed Of Their Charms (video) / RCCG Pastor, Oluremi Tinubu Makeup Free Photos, Poses With Adeboye, Bola Tinubu / 2019 Election: Nobody Will Unseat Me, Buhari Vows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.