Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,447 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative (28076 Views)

Coronavirus: Indian Contractor At Dangote Refinery Tests Negative / Coronavirus: Suspected Case In Enugu Tests Negative / Nigerian Tests Negative For Coronavirus After First Testing Positive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Nobody: 6:51am On Feb 27, 2020
Sherubawan
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Nobody: 6:55am On Feb 27, 2020
Young03:
It can't survive in Africa

Do you know, not a single black man has been reported dead from it. I'm beginning to think that this may be right. Africans are immune to its worst effects. Maybe it might give us a mild cold.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by cRobo: 6:59am On Feb 27, 2020
eyinjuege:

1. Many hospitals even abroad lack the facilities to detect corona virus and the samples are usually sent to special centres for that. Same with ebola. There are also centers for that in Nigeria, for Lagos state , it is the IDH (infectious disease hospital) aka mainland hospital at Yaba

2. Incubation period is not more than a month. A simple google search would have shown that.
Go to the CDC website and confirm. Quarantine period is usually advised to be 2 weeks from last date of exposure, and not even one month.

The reddingnton man has been back from China since 7weeks ago, wayyy longer than the incubation / quarantine period. He probably has malaria. (Unless he has recently been with another friend who just came back from travel)

3. If he has been infected with corona virus and it's been up to 2-4 weeks, they will still be able to diagnose and confirm it in the laboratory.

To those who are panicking already, majority of those infected with the virus do not die. The recorded deaths are elderly individuals, the very young children and those with reduced immunity for one reason or another. Those are the most vulnerable groups. Their own immunity is usually lower than it should be.
If you are a young, fit person, your body should normally be able to fight it unless you've smoked away your immunity with cigarettes or drank it all away with excessive alcohol, or sexed it away with HIV.

so it initially thought that the incubation period was 14 days as mostly speculated but it was observe in Wuhan China the epicenter of this coronavirus outbreak that the incubation period is longer than than and they have actually extended thier quarantine period to a month,

please don't get me wrong, I am not agitating for a public panick rather for people to be very careful and precautious

you know someone can't be too careful

meanwhile you downplaying that the virus is not that deadly is laughable because advanced world have struggling to contain it now think what a third world country like Nigeria with no medical facilities

take a look at South Korea, and how its spreading rapidly

now imagine same in Nigeria

when the virus broke out in China, they also concealed it to save face which any corrupt Nigeria hospital will do like reddinngton hospital just to still attract patient

just be careful that all I am saying

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Renforce: 7:06am On Feb 27, 2020
deekseen:

And yet hundreds of people died from it in China that's far technologically advanced than us?

Just ordinary cough and catarrh you say, yet the whole world is on red alert for it. Being similar to regular cough and catarrh is in itself a problem. Imagine the common man not knowing when to get tested.

My point is, we are still barely surviving this government. We cannot accommodate another epidemy.

Sensitization should be done in naija.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:09am On Feb 27, 2020
eyinjuege:

1. Many hospitals even abroad lack the facilities to detect corona virus and the samples are usually sent to special centres for that. Same with ebola. There are also centers for that in Nigeria, for Lagos state , it is the IDH (infectious disease hospital) aka mainland hospital at Yaba

2. Incubation period is not more than a month. A simple google search would have shown that.
Go to the CDC website and confirm. Quarantine period is usually advised to be 2 weeks from last date of exposure, and not even one month.

The reddingnton man has been back from China since 7weeks ago, wayyy longer than the incubation / quarantine period. He probably has malaria. (Unless he has recently been with another friend who just came back from travel)

3. If he has been infected with corona virus and it's been up to 2-4 weeks, they will still be able to diagnose and confirm it in the laboratory.

To those who are panicking already, majority of those infected with the virus do not die. The recorded deaths are elderly individuals, the very young children and those with reduced immunity for one reason or another. Those are the most vulnerable groups. Their own immunity is usually lower than it should be.
If you are a young, fit person, your body should normally be able to fight it unless you've smoked away your immunity with cigarettes or drank it all away with excessive alcohol, or sexed it away with HIV.
That your last paragraph though. The first doctor to raise the alarm is dead. Another had died too last week. Both of them are young though I don't know if they smoke, drink or are HIV positive but I'm sure neither are you.
Also, the deaths may be low but so is the recovery rate. So far we have over 80000 infections, 2000 deaths and 6000 recoveries. So it's obviously not true that majority recover as you can see

3 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Renforce: 7:09am On Feb 27, 2020
oldman112:
I still don't know how the virus will survive here in Nigeria, this heat will kill it oooo,

Amen o
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by ZombieHUNT: 7:12am On Feb 27, 2020
Captainrambo2:
Why did they allow him inside the country ? Test kill all of una undecided

Today.... More Chinese will enter Lagos...
So brace yourself

Buhari is in power
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by valuedammy(m): 7:15am On Feb 27, 2020
One thing that baffles me is where Coronavirus was before today and where it emanated from .
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by eyinjuege: 7:16am On Feb 27, 2020
cRobo:

so it initially thought that the incubation period was 14 days as mostly speculated but it was observe in Wuhan China the epicenter of this coronavirus outbreak that the incubation period is longer than than and they have actually extended thier quarantine period to a month,

please don't get me wrong, I am not agitating for a public panick rather for people to be very careful and precautious

meanwhile you downplaying that the virus is not that deadly is laughable because advanced world have struggling to contain it now think what a third world country like Nigeria with no medical facilities

when the virus broke out in China, they also concealed it to save face which any corrupt Nigeria hospital will do like reddinngton hospital just to still attract patient

I haven't downplayed anything.
You said the incubation period is more than a month, and it isn't, unless you're part of a research we are not privy to.
I told you most of the deaths are elderly individuals and those immunocompromised from other conditions and that's no lie either.
I haven't downplayed how deadly it can be, afterall people have died from it, and are still dying from it. I completely understand being cautious.
However, you were trying to tell us in your initial post that diagnosis cannot be made in nigeria, which isn't true. Every country has their own infectious control unit , and when such epidemics or perhaps pandemics arise, they are supplied things to make diagnosis with.
You also said the incubation period is longer, which isn't true either. Like I mentioned earlier, the gentleman had been back from China for 7 good weeks, making it highly unlikely to just be presnting with corona virus, but reddington was still very cautious and got him quarantined and tested- meaning they're treading on the path of caution.
I'm not sure why you call reddington corrupt, but that's libel, and also very irresponsible of you.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:18am On Feb 27, 2020
The hot weather will burn out the coronavirus epidemic
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by NigeriaBam: 7:18am On Feb 27, 2020
cool
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by fatymore(f): 7:21am On Feb 27, 2020
I don't know why we don't have the gut to restrict their coming into Nigeria for some time now.

We don't really care in this country.
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by naptu2: 7:22am On Feb 27, 2020
Crobo. Eyinjuege

Just to clarify. Reddington Hospital immediately informed the Lagos State Government about the patient (as they are meant to do) and the Lagos State Government moved him to the Infectious Diseases Unit at Mainland Hospital (the same unit that was at the forefront of the fight against Ebola).

The tests were conducted at the Infectious Diseases Hospital, not at Reddington Hospital.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by eyinjuege: 7:23am On Feb 27, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

That your last paragraph though. The first doctor to raise the alarm is dead. Another had died too last week. Both of them are young though I don't know if they smoke, drink or are HIV positive but I'm sure neither are you.
Also, the deaths may be low but so is the recovery rate. So far we have over 80000 infections, 2000 deaths and 6000 recoveries. So it's obviously not true that majority recover as you can see

The deaths of those Drs are controversial and I'm sure you must have heard conspiracy theories that they could have been murdered for whistle blowing.
Who are the 2000 deaths that died? Were they young people or elderly / immunocompromised ones?
Pls do not think I'm saying elderly people should be allowed to die ooo, the virus shouldn't be taken with levity either.
However, misinformation is worse than no information at all.
Neither am I saying those who drink,smoke, have HIV should die from the corona. I just raised possible points that could cause lowered immunity in fit young people, who we know have their own lifestyle.
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Nobody: 7:25am On Feb 27, 2020
oldman112:
I still don't know how the virus will survive here in Nigeria, this heat will kill it oooo,
shiesse is Nigeria more hot than Dubai ? UAE confirm its own 13th cases

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by thundafire: 7:27am On Feb 27, 2020
Reduce inflow of passengers from some country dey wouldn't hear
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by sammirano: 7:29am On Feb 27, 2020
Are we even sure these guys have the virus testing eqipment.
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Ghostrye: 7:31am On Feb 27, 2020
azimo:
Even China itself is very hot and that is where the main cases come from. Heat cannot do anything to covid-19
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by cRobo: 7:32am On Feb 27, 2020
naptu2:
Crobo. Eyinjuege

Just to clarify. Reddington Hospital immediately informed the Lagos State Government about the patient (as they are meant to do) and the Lagos State Government moved him to the Infectious Diseases Unit at Mainland Hospital (the same unit that was at the forefront of the fight against Ebola).

The tests were conducted at the Infectious Diseases Hospital, not at Reddington Hospital.

And you think will they test a patient positive and scare away potential customer
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by oldman112(m): 7:35am On Feb 27, 2020
azimo:

OK,
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by HajaraIsah0(f): 7:42am On Feb 27, 2020
deekseen:

And yet hundreds of people died from it in China that's far technologically advanced than us?

Just ordinary cough and catarrh you say, yet the whole world is on red alert for it. Being similar to regular cough and catarrh is in itself a problem. Imagine the common man not knowing when to get tested.

My point is, we are still barely surviving this government. We cannot accommodate another epidemy.

Don't mind that fool
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by ElonMosque(m): 7:44am On Feb 27, 2020
Young03:

Like Ebola abi

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by dataking: 7:48am On Feb 27, 2020
So many stupid comments. Na wa
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:48am On Feb 27, 2020
fatymore:
I don't know why we don't have the gut to restrict their coming into Nigeria for some time now.

We don't really care in this country.

Not that we don't care. But it's a question of diplomacy. We need China more than China needs us. All the rails, roads, even oil now is China so you see why we can't afford to "run away" from them now that they have this kind of issue? It will look like a betrayal.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Godsage(m): 7:52am On Feb 27, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Recovery is now 31000

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by quickly: 7:57am On Feb 27, 2020
Young03:

The virus needs human beings to survive and there are millions of human beings in Nigeria.

That sounds like a perfect breeding ground for it.

China is hot too
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:59am On Feb 27, 2020
eyinjuege:

The deaths of those Drs are controversial and I'm sure you must have heard conspiracy theories that they could have been murdered for whistle blowing.
Who are the 2000 deaths that died? Were they young people or elderly / immunocompromised ones?
Pls do not think I'm saying elderly people should be allowed to die ooo, the virus shouldn't be taken with levity either.
However, misinformation is worse than no information at all.
Neither am I saying those who drink,smoke, have HIV should die from the corona. I just raised possible points that could cause lowered immunity in fit young people, who we know have their own lifestyle.
Controversial how? I don't know where you're getting your info from but the first doctor died in hospital and was recognised by the Chinese govt as a national hero which is even rare for China to do. Don't bring conspiracies that don't exist. China have been as open as anyone else with the virus. There's nothing to suggest only old people have died from it or people with other health issues. The fact is, it kind of agitates the body's immune system especially in severe cases such that it begins to kill off infected tissues and organs itself not just the virus alone.
This leads to organ failure and in extreme cases death. The best bet is early detection so the body's immune system does not reach that point.
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Reference(m): 8:05am On Feb 27, 2020
naptu2:
This is in response to rumours that a Chinese national at Reddington Hospital has the Corona Virus. The patient does not have the virus.

LSMOH @LSMOH

https://twitter.com/LSMOH/status/1232849148761837569

But it is said the results will be out by Friday. So who has the true end of the story.
It is just a matter of time before it hits Nigeria. I have given up hope it could at least wait till the rainy season when airborne infections drop but here we are.

My concern now is for the aged parents who are more vulnerable medically and will be more difficult to quarantine.

I don't think we have fully appreciated the magnitude of this impending disaster. Was speaking to a well versed doctor yesterday but the medical community in general appears a bit too relaxed for my liking. Granted this is just like any other flu outbreak and the mortality for the common cold is even worse but the sheer economic impact is worrying.

For folks like us who operate nuts and businesses how exactly do you work from home. We literally operate 24/7 in close, dense proximity. There are expensive materials that will be ruined if unused for just a matter of hours not even weeks that are stocked in quantity for production economic reasons.

I just don't know how this willwork and the government isnot coming out withdefinitive plan policy statements on how it plans to handle this matter in the eventuality of a serious outbreak. Will there be ar run on banks for cash. Will there be travel or journey restrictions between and within states for those moving goods, will the markets remain open. Will there be voluntary or mandatory quarantine measures. How much domestic or industrial stocking. What will the game plan be.... What is the Nigerian government planning....

Because it is coming.
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by naptu2: 8:05am On Feb 27, 2020
cRobo:

And you think will they test a patient positive and scare away potential customer

What potential customer? I repeat, it wasn't Reddington that tested him. He was tested at the Infectious Diseases Hospital, Yaba. That is a government owned hospital and it is the best hospital, with respect to infectious diseases, in Nigeria. That was where the Ebola Containment Centre was situated and it was further upgraded by international agencies after the Ebola crisis.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by executive12: 8:06am On Feb 27, 2020
cRobo:

Well said. I will take any information out of a Government agency and definitely a private hospital with a pinch of salt.
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Agboriotejoye(m): 8:08am On Feb 27, 2020
Godsage:

Recovery is now 31000
Yes. But that's because most of the new cases are detected early before it becomes severe which reduces the risk of playing on the body's immunity like the severe cases.
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by naptu2: 8:10am On Feb 27, 2020
Reference:

But it is said the results will be out by Friday. So who has the true end of the story.
It is just a matter of time before it hits Nigeria. I have given up hope it could at least wait till the rainy season when airborne infections drop but here we are.

My concern now is for the aged parents who are more vulnerable medically and will be more difficult to quarantine.

I don't think we have fully appreciated the magnitude of this impending disaster. Was speaking to a well versed doctor yesterday but the medical community in general appears a bit too relaxed for my liking. Granted this is just like any other flu outbreak and the mortality for the common cold is even worse but the sheer economic impact is worrying.

For folks like us who operate nuts and businesses how exactly do you work from home. We literally operate 24/7 in close, dense proximity. There are expensive materials that will be ruined if unused for just a matter of hours not even weeks that are stocked in quantity for production economic reasons.

I just don't know how this willwork and the government isnot coming out withdefinitive plan policy statements on how it plans to handle this matter in the eventuality of a serious outbreak. Will there be ar run on banks for cash. Will there be travel or journey restrictions between and within states for those moving goods, will the markets remain open. Will there be voluntary or mandatory quarantine measures. How much domestic or industrial stocking. What will the game plan be.... What is the Nigerian government planning....

Because it is coming.

Who is the "it" that said that the results will be out by Friday? The competent authority on that matter has stated what the results are, but you said that, "It is said that the results will be out by Friday", so who is the "it" that said that the results will be out by Friday??

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Eat As Many Eggs As Possible- Poultry Association Of Nigeria (PAN) / Please Help My Mum Is Dying / 595 New COVID-19 Cases, 293 Discharged And 9 Deaths On July 16 - (4325 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.