Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

What’s The Real Difference Between 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What’s The Real Difference Between 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz? (1901 Views)

Tecno POP 5P Launched In Nigeria With HD+ Display And 5,000mah Battery / Xiaomi Redmi 8 Unveiled With Snapdragon 439 And 5,000mah Battery / The Difference Between Glo Data Plans And Other Networks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What’s The Real Difference Between 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz? by Blastedholligan: 6:05pm On Feb 27, 2020
These numbers refer to two different “bands” that your Wi-Fi can use for its signal. The biggest difference between the two is speed. Under ideal conditions, 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi will support up to 450 Mbps or 600 Mbps, depending on the class of the router. 5 GHz Wi-Fi will support up to 1300 Mbps.

The longer waves used by the 2.4 GHz band are better suited to longer ranges and transmission through walls and solid objects. So it’s arguably better if you need better range on your devices or you have a lot of walls or other objects in the areas where you need coverage. However, because so many devices use the 2.4 GHz band, the resulting congestion can cause dropped connections and slower-than-expected speeds.

The 5 GHz band is much less congested, which means you will likely get more stable connections. You’ll also see higher speeds. On the other hand, the shorter waves used by the 5 GHz band makes it less able to penetrate walls and solid objects. It’s also got a shorter effective range than the 2.4 GHz band.

Source: https://spot.tecno.com/ng/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=78384

Cc: Ben13
dani1luv
Lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: What’s The Real Difference Between 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz? by Ejadike(m): 6:07pm On Feb 27, 2020
Very informative and educative piece from Tecno spot. This is an eye opener for me.
Re: What’s The Real Difference Between 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz? by dawnomike(m): 6:15pm On Feb 27, 2020
Beautifully explained... thanks
Re: What’s The Real Difference Between 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz? by taiwosamwell(m): 6:19pm On Feb 27, 2020
And not all devices are compatible with 5 GHz band

1 Like

Re: What’s The Real Difference Between 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz? by Mohbola(f): 10:28pm On Feb 29, 2020
Thanks for the info
Re: What’s The Real Difference Between 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz? by Blastedholligan: 10:34pm On Mar 15, 2020
Mohbola:
Thanks for the info
you're welcome
Re: What’s The Real Difference Between 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz? by vichaz10(m): 7:46pm On Mar 16, 2020
Pls does this mean all mifi comes with the 5ghz band
Re: What’s The Real Difference Between 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz? by ps3o(m): 3:53am On Mar 18, 2020
vichaz10:
Pls does this mean all mifi comes with the 5ghz band
I don't think so. But most new WiFi Routers have these two bands. Checking the device before purchasing can help.

Many thanks to the OP for doing justice to the question
Re: What’s The Real Difference Between 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz? by ps3o(m): 3:54am On Mar 18, 2020
This deserves to be pushed to the front page.
Moderators, take note!
Re: What’s The Real Difference Between 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz? by vichaz10(m): 9:33pm On Mar 18, 2020
ps3o:

I don't think so. But most new WiFi Routers have these two bands. Checking the device before purchasing can help.

Many thanks to the OP for doing justice to the question

Aiit thanks and pls does using a 4g lte mifi with a 2.4ghz band means better network reception compared to the one received on a good 4g smartphone..
Re: What’s The Real Difference Between 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz? by ps3o(m): 12:39am On Mar 19, 2020
vichaz10:

Aiit thanks and pls does using a 4g lte mifi with a 2.4ghz band means better network reception compared to the one received on a good 4g smartphone..
The signal receptor in MIFI will play better than that on most smartphones.
Meanwhile, some phones which are manufactured since late last year can have the same broadcast as MiFi

1 Like

Re: What’s The Real Difference Between 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz? by Wilfem(m): 12:52am On Mar 19, 2020
My newly installed Panoramic WiFi Router has both bands. Only my phone (S10e) could detect and connect to the 5ghz band, while my laptop and Smart tv couldn't detect 5ghz, but only the 2.4ghz.
Re: What’s The Real Difference Between 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz? by vichaz10(m): 11:03pm On Mar 19, 2020
ps3o:

The signal receptor in MIFI will play better than that on most smartphones.
Meanwhile, some phones which are manufactured since late last year can have the same broadcast as MiFi

Thanks Boss.
Re: What’s The Real Difference Between 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz? by ps3o(m): 2:12am On Mar 20, 2020
vichaz10:

Thanks Boss.
You're most welcome, bro!

(1) (Reply)

Pls Which Good Techno Phone Can I Buy? I Have A Budget Of 20_25k. / Used Samsung Galaxy A30s In Ibadan / Has MTN Stopped Their Free Data

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.